Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Robin Williams Dead: Beloved Actor Dies In Apparent Suicide

(Read 8010 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Robin Williams Dead: Beloved Actor Dies In Apparent Suicide
     Reply #60 - August 13, 2014, 05:31 PM

Happiness is a state of mind that many people go after and it eludes them. We all 'go after' things like happiness and saying that it is a state of mind frustrates a lot of people because it's like saying 'Happiness just is and you must believe in it'. Problem is no matter how much you try to make it your state of mind it is ahrd to capture this happiness.  And in all honesty happiness is not the sum total of existence and most people have been fed this as if it is a 'mantra'. Happiness does not make people happy or at least the pursuit of happiness doesn't. What is it? A joke, accepting one's circumstances or just getting on with it? All moments fade away and you can not capture that moment. Happiness does not fill that void that people feel - the craving to want to belong, to feel special, to achieve something. It's a human thing to want and to seek to control. Happiness is an illusion that we have created to console ourselves in the face of our failures.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #61 - August 13, 2014, 07:48 PM

So is being an adult that bad? no

Lol, don't take someone else's word for it.  grin12

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #62 - August 13, 2014, 08:43 PM

Lol  Tongue

O captain! Why did you leave us? :/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RbY2iTOUQA
     Reply #63 - August 13, 2014, 09:25 PM

I love that scene at the end. I used it in a video once.
     Reply #64 - August 13, 2014, 11:13 PM

I'm not sure if anyone watched this film but Death to Smoochy is probably my top favorite Robin Williams film.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNXKJ0AbUc

Also, I found a video about suicide contagion, in response to the Academy's tweet about Robin's death. I'm just going to place it right here..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=109Q9Vocvc0

turnipovich
     Reply #65 - August 13, 2014, 11:19 PM

Excellent video. Thanks for posting.
     Reply #66 - August 13, 2014, 11:30 PM

I agree with some of the ladies' points in the above video about helping others and reinforcing life-affirming strategies but I think she misrepresented the intentions of The Academy when they posted that image. I don't think it was intended to portray the suicide in a positive light. It was a cute and sombre reference to a beloved Disney character.

Robin Williams is free as that is what death is. He no longer has to endure the trials and tribulations that caused him so much anguish and let's not forget it's not as if he did not seek intervention. Sometimes, people just want to let go. Let them go. Let them be free(?) I'm trying to be careful with what I say here!

This in no way relates to RW's death at all but I'm putting it out there because I'd like to hear other peoples responses. It pains me to say this because I have loved ones all around me but there are people on the brink of despair who just don't want to go on living because life is so insufferable and all they wish is to end it. No amount of prayer, counselling or aid is able to relieve them of this suffering. Is it ethically justifiable to prevent a person from taking their own life even if it means that they'll live a life filled with misery.

N.B. To the mods I understand that CEMB forum has members that are undergoing a tumultuous event in their lives and in no way am I advocating a certain course of action. It's just something I'd like to discuss. If you consider yourself to be particularly vulnerable there are good people out there to help you such as http://www.mind.org.uk/ and www.samaritans.org amongst others.  Smiley

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #67 - August 14, 2014, 08:39 PM

http://jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=18069

I love how Carrie Fisher writes that he packed in five lifetimes before he died.

Reply #68 - August 14, 2014, 11:51 PM

It's a hard question. If you believe as adults we should have control of our lives then that applies to whether or not we wish to end them, however do we put restrictions on that? Depression is recognised as a mental illness, so do we respect the rights of people to decide to end their lives if they make such a decision while mentally ill? It's a different question than someone living a life of agony with a condition they can never recover from. You can recover from depression. So my immediate response to your question is that I hesitate to say it's right to let them end their lives is that they are not well and not in their right minds.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #69 - August 15, 2014, 03:44 PM

ISIS fighters and supporters react to Robin Williams death.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2722878/Bizarre-Twitter-outburst-ISIS-fighters-reveal-love-late-Robin-Williams-blockbuster-hit-Jumanji.html

Some get pissed off when they see this bit of stand-up he did on jihad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osvvTOzzQBE&feature=player_embedded

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #70 - August 15, 2014, 04:48 PM

well news from BBC says Robin Williams 'had Parkinson's' when he died

Robin Williams was suffering from the early stages of Parkinson's disease at the time of his death, his wife has said. Susan Schneider said her husband had been sober but "not yet ready to share publicly" his struggles with Parkinson's.

She added that he had also been suffering from anxiety and depression. The 63-year-old actor was found dead in an apparent suicide in his home on Monday. Police said he died of asphyxia due to hanging.

"His greatest legacy, besides his three children, is the joy and happiness he offered to others, particularly to those fighting personal battles," Ms Schneider said in a statement, adding her husband's sobriety was "intact".

That is indeed true..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #71 - August 15, 2014, 05:39 PM

Perhaps the most hilarious and touching news article I have ever read. Just goes to show, Robin Williams gave joy to the majority of people who watched him perform.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett
     Reply #72 - August 15, 2014, 06:00 PM

^ Thanks for sharing! I absolutely love this article Cheesy Cheesy

turnipovich
     Reply #73 - August 15, 2014, 06:08 PM

Oops QSD already did that Jihad video of Robin Williams let me do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWZVfA-M7Is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJhZcOhLRzE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytTVFwoTZHY

Reply #74 - August 15, 2014, 08:11 PM

^ Thanks for sharing! I absolutely love this article Cheesy Cheesy
    (Clicky for piccy!)
    (Clicky for piccy!)

They may be evil bastards, but they have hearts of children... which they show to other children as a warning for going against sharia law.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett
     Reply #75 - August 16, 2014, 01:21 AM

Even Jihadists Love Robin Williams

I spent a year in Iraq fighting Islamic militants. Then one of them contacted me on Twitter to talk about how much he loved Mrs. Doubtfire and Jumanji.

Robin Williams died this week, and the world stopped to mourn. President Barack Obama said he had spent his life "touching every element of the human spirit." Steve Martin described him as a "mensch, great talent, acting partner, genuine soul." And thousands of miles away, a jihadi who believes in the slaughter of apostates took to Twitter to praise Williams's movies. "[R]eally liked Mrs. Doubtfire & Jumanji," he wrote. "But I liked most of them."

Abdullah, who doesn't give his last name, is a 19-year-old who supports the goals of the Islamic militants who now control much of Iraq and Syria but has not yet picked up a weapon to fight on its behalf (God willing, he says, he will soon find a way of doing so). For now, his focus is to amplify Islamic State propaganda for the world to see. The banner on his Twitter feed is a masked jihadi waving the now-familiar black-and-white IS flag seen fluttering above conquered Iraqi cities like Mosul. Abdullah's bio says he's "harsh on kuffar," a slight misspelling of the derogatory Arabic term for nonbelievers and infidels, a category that, to ISIS, encompasses most of the world's population.

My entire feed on Monday night became a Robin Williams tribute. Many posted a video of his 2007 USO visit to Kuwait, where he was caught off guard by the sounding of the ceremonial flag lowering and recovered with his legendary improvisation. But one of my followers retweeted Abdullah discussing the death of Robin Williams, and how Jumanji was a cherished childhood memory of his. It was a strange moment at the time, since I was an Army infantryman who went to Iraq to help kill men in black who hoisted that same banner, and here Abdullah was, talking about a movie I wore out on home video in my parents' living room in Texas.

I tweeted a screenshot of the conversation, which overtook my feed with hundreds of retweets in minutes. Abdullah was discussing religion with another user, so I jumped in for a few tweets. But soon we turned to the canon of our generation's most gifted comedian, including his less-remembered films. "What about Death to Smoochy?" I asked him. "It was pretty strange but I liked it."

"Not so sure," he replied. "What's the story about? I may have seen it."

We tried to ignore the many trolls joining the mix. Many were flabbergasted that hard-line Islamists could also be real people who like things Westerners like. "You're tweeting with Evil tonight I see," a California woman said to me, pointing out that I was having a casual conversation with a guy who posts cute photos of sloths hours after tweeting photos of decapitated Kurdish fighters.

The Islamic State stands for the complete opposite of everything I value as an American and a citizen of the world. They're brutal. Barbaric. Sadistic, maybe. But Evil, with a capital E? Abdullah? How could someone who smiles at the mention of "bangarang" be evil?

Abdullah is protective of his identity, for obvious reasons. He told me in private messages that he's from Europe -- which explains how he had access to Robin Williams movies -- and used to box when he was a kid. He wants to join the fight in Syria and Iraq, but unspecified personal matters have gotten in the way. There will always be time for the fight anyway, since he hopes for a worldwide caliphate where nonbelievers must accept Islam, pay a tax, or convert.

So why was he talking to me, I asked, since I was a nonbeliever who would do none of those things?

"I mean, we hate disbelief but I see you're a cool guy," he said in a direct message.

I'll be sure to save that endorsement in case the Islamic State storms Northern Virginia.

This isn't the first time I was reminded that insurgents and their followers -- no matter how brutal and misguided -- are people, too. In 2007 my infantry unit in Baghdad and Diyala province was battling, among other groups, the 1920 Revolution Brigades, an Iraqi nationalist insurgency group. They tried to sneak off with the bodies of executed American contractors and ambushed us when we arrived. They fired sniper rifles from inside cars and cut into roads with concrete saws to lay massive bombs for our vehicles.

But when the 1920s turned on the more extreme al Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) and partnered with us, the uneasy alliance gave way to joint patrols. They became the Sons of Iraq. They wore masks and pointed out AQI positions. In this way they were more useful and necessary than incompetent Iraqi Army soldiers, whom our government spent billions to train and equip.

Back at the patrol base, the Sons of Iraq took a shining to a particularly goofy member of my platoon. "If we fight again, raise your hand so we don't kill you," the former insurgent said. We all laughed. They battled against us, and promised to again, but at that moment we shared the same air, along with the same worries about what was buried underneath the next intersection.

My public conversation with Abdullah, I realized, was an opportunity to discuss things besides great moments in comedy. I wanted to know if he had seen combat in the declared caliphate, since it's an experience we could share that some Americans would rather not discuss at dinner parties. He understood the disconnect I described. "Watched a documentary on VICE about treatment of war vets," he said, referring to a segment on Veterans Affairs' systemic failures to provide timely care to veterans. "You guys really could have it better." Even a guy who gleefully posts photos of military caskets thinks the United States could improve how it cares for veterans.

My friend Kate, also an Iraq veteran, joined the Twitter conversation, asking about mental health care and reintegration for jihadists. Abdullah suggested they are sent back home to face uncertain modes of care. It appears both sides struggle to identify the best methods to treat traumatized troops while juggling limited resources.

Perhaps the Islamic State would set up their own agency for caliphate veterans, I told Abdullah. I was mostly serious. The group has already established food inspection offices, repaired electrical grids, and beautified street medians in Raqqa, Syria. Call the future agency the Department of Jihadist Affairs. "I would find it highly plausible," Abdullah said.

By late Monday night and Tuesday, Abdullah was agitated over the attention from hostile tweeters and journalists. The website of British newspaper the Independent aggregated his tweets after a BBC journalist reached out to discuss Robin Williams. "Like, this is a joke, right?" Abdullah asked rhetorically. Others trolled him for movie recommendations while others questioned his legitimacy. He's a groupie, some postulated, unwilling to join the fight.

Abdullah might be little more than an impressionable kid. But it's clear he's a node in a sophisticated Islamic State public affairs operation that amplifies execution videos along with water restoration projects aimed at winning hearts and minds. Esquire says their action-oriented videos carry an "aesthetic rigor," and intelligence officials say the group has thousands of followers around the world who translate its messages into German, Indonesian, and Russian.

I've spent my adult life online, writing blog posts and talking on message boards with people all over the world. Finding common ground to talk about with an Islamist doesn't seem that strange, even if my platoon maneuvered on and killed IS's predecessors in Iraq. One Islamic State supporter made it known in broken English that jihadists aren't space aliens who only behead people. That's true. They also force women and children up on a mountain to die, and at some point in their lives, roll on the floor laughing when Mrs. Doubtfire pelts Pierce Brosnan with a lime.

Abdullah was perhaps the most flummoxed by all the attention. Is it such a stretch that one could support a brutal, murderous state but also be a movie fan? Art -- be it a painting or a sculpture or a Robin Williams stand-up bit about golf -- reflects existence back at us. It's a human compulsion to both seek it out and create it. When Williams went with the USO and cracked jokes for troops overseas, it was to distract from the reality that the soldiers and Marines were in a war zone and could be killed or maimed at any time.

My Twitter feed is mostly national security and foreign affairs news, so I see the kind of things Abdullah posts every day. Photos of dead IS fighters. Videos of Iraqi vehicles blown apart. I probably see the IS flag once every couple of hours in one story or another. I hope they are eradicated and don't extend their terror state another inch. "I'd have to fight you guys if the caliphate came here," I told Abdullah over private message. "Not personal though."

"Of course not. It's all about the country and justice all that," he replied. "We'll see, inshallah."

But if he ever picks up a rifle instead of a keyboard, I won't know if I'll see Abdullah in one of those photos, either waving a black banner triumphantly or lying on the ground, swollen from rigor mortis and under the boot of a Kurdish soldier. I won't know it because I haven't seen his face; Abdullah's profile picture is likely a stock photo used by many jihadists, or would-be jihadists. The photo is of a jihadi fighter. It's of some man dedicated to the cause, like Abdullah, riding toward a battle, or maybe away from one, with a shrouded face to acknowledge one thing: that the world doesn't see him as he sees himself.

Reply #76 - August 18, 2014, 10:38 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GorgFtCqPEs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW2jSLuHlz4

Reply #77 - September 01, 2014, 10:54 PM

I finally got around to seeing 'Good Will Hunting' for the first time just a few nights ago. Wow what a movie, great drama which isn't often my first choice genre but Damon and William's performance in this are fantastic.

One of the final scences has even made me review my opinion on the 'man hug' phenomenon. It's given me cause to belive a well timed 'bro embrace' could be a good thing. Infact from time to time I could probably (and I suspect many of the other bros on here to) do with a 'man hug' from a genuinely involved/caring figure, such as the character Robin Williams plays in this movie and of course delivering the same lines.
    For now I'll have to do it by myself though, "It's not your fault Tomas" *hugs self* far away hug
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYa6gbDcx18
     Reply #78 - September 01, 2014, 10:57 PM

A human life flickers out
    Out flicks a humane light
    and the world feels a little less bright

R.I.P Robin
     Reply #79 - September 11, 2014, 11:05 AM

I quite like this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NBjWHfBHKos

Also, I enjoy hugs. Smiley

• Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »