Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Big sigh

(Read 4529 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Big sigh
     OP - August 04, 2014, 12:12 PM

Hi everyone,

I am an ex-Muslim. Alhamdu-fucking-lillah.

I am British but I live in Finland with my shia Muslim husband. I'm in my very early twenties.

Why I left Islam, well, the short version is this: I was tricked, I discovered said trickery, was horrified. I imagine many other converts feel the same.

I never had that 'oh, Allah has chosen ME of all people, how lucky and blessed I am' feeling. I just felt it was so wrong that I would be more likely to go to Heaven than for example my mum and sister, whom I love more than anything. Once truly among them, I saw other Muslims as self-righteous and judgmental - NOT the message they give you in dawah!

I never did good things for the promise of a reward in Heaven. That, my Muslim friends, is poor morality.

I never felt that Islam was perfect or that God was merciful or loving. Actually, I thought pretty early on that he was an arsehole and we would all just have to live with it! Honestly. My dad is gay and I was raised by my mum, but also by him and his partner. I am a feminist. I don't believe in death penalties. God hates these concepts! Up until now, I somehow justified it all - I cannot for the life of me understand how. Christ.

I never felt hijab protected me. In fact, since wearing it Finnish men leave me alone, but Muslim men stare freely at me and my body under the clothes with no idea of who I am or what I do. Even when my husband is with me. Hijab plus white woman is a HUGE fetish, especially for men, in the Muslim community. I was put on a pedestal as soon as I converted *mashallah mashallah...cont. page 100* I have quite big eyes and fair skin and a smallish mouth like the women in those nude paintings, and Muslim men think it's great, so innocent-looking (another fetish they have).

And I hated all the 'Hijab is my choice' rubbish. What the FUCK. So you are just going to ignore your 'sisters' who are forced into it? The oppression that you have only escaped because you are enjoying rights in the West that Western women have fought for for generations? Rights that are not Islamic? I hate them comparing women  to candy or some other object. Don't they see what they are doing?? It's the exact same thing they claim Islam abhors.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Islam only gave women certain property rights..? Either way, I don't buy it anymore.

Lately I have been reading about patriarchy and misogyny and feminism. I think this more than anything sealed the deal, as it was closer to home. You know what, I am just going to say it, because fuck Islam and keeping the tears between me and Allah and whatever. I had experienced a lot of sexual abuse at the hands of male 'friends' as a teenager and it was just tearing me into worthless, pathetic, drab shreds. Islam seemed like it would give me the respect and peace I was so, so desperately looking for. I thought it would end the objectifying and the abuse and would change my own perception about myself. I could finally see myself as a woman, and men would not see me as something they were entitled to, nor would I see myself that way.

So that's how they got me.

When I finally discovered patriarchy to be the root of my problems, I thought 'surely Islam doesn't have anything like this?' Hah! Hilarious, really. I am heartbroken at all the fucking lying and deception, but damned if I am turning to religion again.

Before Islam I was a scared person. After it I am an angry person. But you can be sure as hell I'm not apologising for it. This has been bubbling inside for too long and I am so thankful I am in a country where I can leave this damned religion without fear of my life.

My husband is a terrible Muslim. By that I mean, he supports my dad (gasp a gay) and discards lots of hadith, as I did completely by the way. And has a moral code separate from the Quran etc etc.

Quranism is slightly better than hadithism. Slightly. I never got how Muslims were so obsessed with form. I prayed three times a day in three positions (mentioned in Quran) and uttered Quranic verses (also mentioned). That was it. And Zakat I paid what I could. I didn't get the whole 'you need hadith to explain Quran' thing. Now I just think that the reason the Quran is SO UNCLEAR is because the writers took it for granted that people would always know/understand certain references Cheesy

I haven't told my husband about my apostasy. He knows I am extremely critical, as is he. We will have to see what happens.

First off I want to get rid of this horrible rag on my head. Sigh. Piety = becoming invisible, apparently. Well sod that ^.^

What a long and at times erratic introduction. I have been so submissive my entire life and now I have trouble controlling the expression of my opinions Cheesy it is hard to regulate them so they don't sound aggressive and badly composed. I'm not used to it yet. But I love having a voice now.

Have a nice day everyone.

Don't damn me when I speak my mind, 'cause silence isn't golden when I'm holding it inside. - Guns n' Roses

3 koiraa 1 kissa <3
  • Big sigh
     Reply #1 - August 04, 2014, 12:23 PM

Welcome in Omena!  parrot

More and more people coming out the woodwork and even people in the religion critiquing it. It is wonderful to see happen!
  • Big sigh
     Reply #2 - August 04, 2014, 12:30 PM

Islam game women rights alright. RIGHTS TO BE INFERIOR!

Hadiths and the life of Muhammad is why Qur'an has be to be taken literally. the Qur'an only seems-to me- 'okay' if it's not taken literally. But if it's taken literally then why even take to heart that there is a god? surely he could be but a figure of expression? It's an endless loop.

Your husband sounds like a really nice guy, wish you the best of luck talking some sense into him.

Finally, welcome abroad! Ozonedance

أشهد أن لا إله
  • Big sigh
     Reply #3 - August 04, 2014, 12:32 PM

Welcome Smiley

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Big sigh
     Reply #4 - August 04, 2014, 12:40 PM

Hi everyone...

Please reconsider sister. Ask Allah to forgive you. Return to Islam before it's too late and he repeatedly blow-torches your skin, boils your brain and shreds your intestines.
  • Big sigh
     Reply #5 - August 04, 2014, 12:49 PM

repeatedly blow-torches your skin, boils your brain and shreds your intestines.

" Allah is Ever-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

Cheesy

أشهد أن لا إله
  • Big sigh
     Reply #6 - August 04, 2014, 12:53 PM

Hi and welcome

I am curious and was wondering if you could elaborate a little on the below if thats ok?

When I finally discovered patriarchy to be the root of my problems, I thought 'surely Islam doesn't have anything like this?'

Thanks in advance
  • Big sigh
     Reply #7 - August 04, 2014, 12:57 PM

Tervetuloa Smiley

I hope your husband will be understanding of your apostasy.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
  • Big sigh
     Reply #8 - August 04, 2014, 01:29 PM

Interesting introduction. Welcome to CEMB. Have a parrot. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Big sigh
     Reply #9 - August 04, 2014, 01:42 PM

Welcome Omena Smiley. Here have cute rabbit bunny.
  • Big sigh
     Reply #10 - August 04, 2014, 02:47 PM

Welcome Omena  parrot

Every Morning We Are Born Again.
    What We Do Today Is What Matters Most.
  • Big sigh
     Reply #11 - August 04, 2014, 03:20 PM

Welcome omena bunny
  • Big sigh
     Reply #12 - August 04, 2014, 03:28 PM

Welcome to the dark side Omena  parrot

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
  • Big sigh
     Reply #13 - August 04, 2014, 03:36 PM

You've come to the darkness. Welcome sister  parrot
  • Big sigh
     Reply #14 - August 04, 2014, 04:14 PM

Welcome, Omena! parrot

Things are looking quite promising on the husband front, it could be worse...

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
  • Big sigh
     Reply #15 - August 05, 2014, 02:47 PM

Welcome Omena  parrot  far away hug
    All religions are man-made so they all belong to the patriarchy to control people especially women! (That's what I think anyway)
    It's always exciting when more and more people denounce their religion  Smiley

"Music is the only religion that delivers the goods" - Frank Zappa
  • Big sigh
     Reply #16 - August 05, 2014, 03:59 PM

Welcome to CEMB forum, Omena. Very interesting intro. I'm looking forward to reading more from you. Smiley

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
  • Big sigh
     Reply #17 - August 05, 2014, 04:07 PM

Hi Omena, welcome to the forum  Afro

How did you end up from being a convert in the UK to living in Finland?

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Big sigh
     Reply #18 - August 08, 2014, 09:21 AM

Hi and welcome

I am curious and was wondering if you could elaborate a little on the below if thats ok?

Thanks in advance

Hiya, yes of course, I'll give it a go.

The way I define patriarchy is through a feminist's analysis, if that makes sense. In a patriarchal society, men hold the positions of power: head of the family, social groups, boss in the workplace and heads of government. Whilst I don't think individual men oppress women, I do believe that the bias of a patriarchal society oppresses them.

This of course is in the general sense. If you are wondering about me personally, I will try to elaborate on that, too. As in Islam (despite what any Muslim says), I realise now that I subconsciously saw myself as property. Public instead of private (private being Islam), but property nonetheless. Confused by contradictory 'rules on what was appropriate for women, I started to fall back on the thing I saw as having most value - my appearance. The basis of almost everything I did was to please a man. Actually here is a good thing I saw on facebook which echoes some of my own issues with this system:

Don't be slutty, don't have sex. But be sexy. If you're too sexy though and you get raped, then that's your own fault because you're not actually supposed to listen to us about being sexy, even though we tell you your value is derived from how sexy you are. If you get into a position of power, we will assume you used your sex appeal to get there and not your brains and we will mock you, even though we told you the only thing that mattered was your sex appeal. Make yourself accessible to us, but holy shit stop being so desperate and needy. Don't be a tease. If we want to have sex with you, don't friendzone us, even though we just fucking told you not to have sex. (Patriarchy Proverb)

Thank you for the support, everyone. I have actually only just come back today because I had a wave of apostasy guilt  Roll Eyes after posting this introduction, lol.

How did you end up from being a convert in the UK to living in Finland?

Hello! I was a teenager when I left Britain with my mum and sister - I have an adventurous mum who always wanted to go somewhere Nordic and it was a choice between Finland and Sweden. Actually have no idea what persuaded her to come here as it has taken us five years to learn the language properly haha, nah but it's a brilliant country and I love it here. I actually converted in Finland - small population, greatest in the capital, and there are from what I observe therefore a lot more Muslims in a defined area. It was very easy to get access to Islam Cheesy

Don't damn me when I speak my mind, 'cause silence isn't golden when I'm holding it inside. - Guns n' Roses

3 koiraa 1 kissa <3
  • Big sigh
     Reply #19 - August 08, 2014, 09:36 AM

Hi Omena

Interesting story you have there Smiley Welcome piggy for you piggy

I'm in Denmark so we are almost neighbours Tongue

However I still haven't figured out how the heck Finns ended up in the Nordics. Iceland I get. But the Finns are just such a mystery people. They are the random generator of the Nordics.

Finns are cool. They are like the Kurds of the Nordics. Same badass-ness.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Big sigh
     Reply #20 - August 08, 2014, 11:04 AM

I missed this one, welcome omena  parrot far away hug

• Big sigh
     Reply #21 - August 08, 2014, 02:07 PM

Welcome to the forum omena, have a rabbit!  bunny

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Big sigh
     Reply #22 - August 08, 2014, 08:26 PM

Before Islam I was a scared person. After it I am an angry person. ....

"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHa3D-musUw

• Big sigh
     Reply #23 - August 09, 2014, 12:27 PM

dance was practically asking for it.

3 koiraa 1 kissa <3
  • Big sigh
     Reply #24 - August 09, 2014, 01:46 PM

Welcome omena!  parrot
    i hope ur husband will understand x

Dogs never bite me - just humans. ~ M. Monroe

Religions seem to cause more grief than good.

Exmuslim Chat
  • Big sigh
     Reply #25 - September 10, 2014, 03:33 PM

Omena, you posted on my own into thread and have since posted no more! (I feel pretty sad that I missed the Omena-train because from your description, we're in nearly identical situations.) Here's hoping that you come back pleaaase come back.
  • Big sigh
     Reply #26 - September 10, 2014, 04:39 PM

"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

c

I need to keep telling myself that quote to help me get through some shit I'm dealing with right now Smiley

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »