Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Is a Palestinian Genocide morally justifiable?

(Read 7963 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Is a Palestinian Genocide morally justifiable?
     Reply #30 - August 05, 2014, 01:53 AM

http://etymonline.com/index.php?term=genocide

That is interesting! I wonder if people in the middle ages or before had a similar concept or did they even care when entire groups of people went missing from the face of the planet.

Probably had lame words like "lots of people died ermegerd" but genocide is a very powerful and triggering word.

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #31 - August 05, 2014, 06:56 AM

For the Abrahamic religions, it is teaching us to give up moral intuitions for God. If Abraham refused to sacrifice his son, what would have been his sin? What would be stopping him from carrying out this action? What trait is causing him to be disobedient?

This interpretation is not universal. I was never taught that these passages were about obedience to God but rather Abraham's failure to question God as he had done with Lot's case.
     Reply #32 - August 05, 2014, 07:02 AM

Isn't the point of circumcision in honour of Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #33 - August 05, 2014, 09:46 AM

In Islam, it's a matter of cleanliness and fitrah. 
     Reply #34 - August 05, 2014, 09:51 AM

Because allah can't get it right. Wink

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #35 - August 05, 2014, 02:51 PM

I don't know morally, but history is full of big wars or genocides. Could you argue that some of these wars/genocides resulted in a more stable or better society afterwards? Probably.

There's a Chinese movie called Hero (~2002) or so. Basically, there's this emperor going around overtaking land. This group of rebels plot to kill him. The hero of the movie is within range to kill the emperor. In the end, he chooses not to kill the emperor because the emperor has a vision of a united China. To put an end to the constant fighting of cities and clans...

I'm not saying I agree with that. I'm just saying, I entertain the thought.
    Similarly with say Israel/Palestine. This has been going on for what 60 years now. Just a constant grind.

Would everyone be better off if Israel just decided on its own border, built a huge wall and defended the crap out of it. Maybe...

Let's face it, if this conflict had happened 200 years earlier, the genocide/expulsion of the Palestinians would have just been considered an artifact of history.

Heck, I'm Canadian and this land used to belong to the Natives. Many of them died and the Europeans took their land. Yet, today, Canada is a pretty peaceful place. Whose to say if the Europeans hadn't forcefully won the land, that we wouldn't be involved in a constant civil war for generations to come.

How do you weight the death of thousands/millions versus the continuing deaths, war, strife, and poor living conditions of people in the future? I guess that's the equation you try and solve if you're looking to morally justify it.

I'm not wise enough to answer that question, but I guess it exists.

Reply #36 - August 27, 2014, 09:57 PM

I think we can generally define biblegod as Omnicidal (eg.Noahs flood) rather than just plain  vanilla genocidal.

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »