Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Greetings from London

(Read 4592 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Greetings from London
     OP - July 31, 2014, 05:39 PM

Hello ~
    I'm a 22 year old Bengali girl born and raised London. I started questioning Islam when I was about 14 years old.
    I've always wondered why people continue to believe in and be scared of this non-existent entity. Why they continue to restrict themselves from life's pleasures like listening to music or going out with the opposite/same sex or falling in love. Why they continue to  follow these rules and regulation written in a language that they won't bother understanding or questioning.

I'm very sure if they did understand the Quran, almost all of them will become agnostic or even atheist. I became an atheist because of the treatment of women. Being a women myself, I found it so offensive that men consider women's mind and bodies shameful, inferior, that are just objects for pleasure. Women are human beings too. We have a body and a skeleton inside of us just like these men do but no, they only choose to differentiate us by what is between our legs and on our chests.

Growing up I've never prayed or wore the hijab but in my early teens I did start reading the Quran because my parents hired an Islamic teacher. And let me tell you, it was so tedious. It was a complete waste of time and energy. All the teacher did was count his money and scare me and my siblings with the idea of hell fire. He told us that if we want to go to heaven and avoid hell fire, we have to be obedient, wear hijab all the time, pray 5 times a day, not make friends with non-muslims, not watch western TV shows or cartoons and not to listen to music. By the time he told us all this it was too late. I hated wearing the hijab, I don't want to pray, I already had non-muslim friends (some who are even boys), I love watching TV shows and cartoons and I especially love listening to and making music.
    And the most stupid thing was I actually started believing I'd go to hell. I was so scared of death that it started affecting my health and making me depressed. It made me feel like life wasn't worth living and I couldn't commit suicide because "that's a sin too". I started doubting religion more and more the older I got, and eventually accepted that it's alright to leave religion. That religion is a man-made concept to control the masses, to scam people of their lives and money. There were other muslims like me who turned atheist or agnostic.

So by the time I was 20 I became an atheist. I told my siblings about this because they are open-minded and I know they will accept my decision and not tell anyone. I tried to convince them to leave Islam but they are uncertain but I hope in the future that will change. Also during this time I applied for university and got in but one day my uncle (mum's brother) decided to come for a visit and bring up marrying me off to a guy from Bangladesh. I told him that I don't want to get married and I start uni in a month. He said I should because I'm young and muslim guys preferences are "young girls" and if my future husband allows it, I can study at uni. I said no to the marriage and luckily he just left it. The idea of being arranged/forced married to someone I don't know scares me. I feel like my freedom to enjoy life will be taken away. For all I know, these guys that they're trying to arrange me with could be close-minded and won't allow me to live my life the way I want. I would rather date and get to know someone and fall in love with them before I get married. I think falling in love is a natural thing we all experience and important in life but religion suppresses it.   

I feel very isolated being the only atheist in my community and life feels very limiting not being able to 'come out' to my parents and other relatives. I know for sure they would disapprove of my decision and disown me. I also know there are others out there going through the same thing, and would like to say that you guys give me hope. The more there are of us, the better!

I will patiently wait for the day when religion completely dies out because all it has caused us is nothing but misery but that won't be anytime soon maybe 2-4 generations down... maybe.

Anyway thank you for reading and I apologise for the lengthy post and my horrible choppy writing Smiley
    It felt so good to let this out ~

"Music is the only religion that delivers the goods" - Frank Zappa
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #1 - July 31, 2014, 05:50 PM

Welcome!  parrot bunny What a fascinating intro!
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #2 - July 31, 2014, 05:55 PM

great to have you on the forum tasnim, you're amongst friends here  Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Greetings from London
     Reply #3 - July 31, 2014, 06:12 PM

Welcome to CEMB. Your parrot madam. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #4 - July 31, 2014, 06:50 PM

Welcome Smiley

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #5 - July 31, 2014, 07:10 PM

I actually started believing I'd go to hell. I was so scared of death that it started affecting my health and making me depressed.

I think we need a welcome pack for all new members. At the top it should read:

Dear Ex-Muslim,

Please listen very carefully to what I am about to say: Hell doesn't exist. It is an absurd and wicked man-made fiction. You are not a bad person for not believing in something that sounds cruel, absurd, unjust and has no evidence to support it.

You have nothing to fear. Nothing to feel bad about. Please go ahead and enjoy your life. Do the best you can. Make yourself and others happy.

If there is a God - which I doubt - he cannot ask of you more than that
    . hugs

I will patiently wait for the day when religion completely dies out because

It's gonna be a long wait, sister  grin12
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #6 - July 31, 2014, 07:14 PM

The benefit of being a deity with 99 names is that your followers can shift goalposts quite easily during arguments.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #7 - July 31, 2014, 07:15 PM

Welcome,  tasnim  parrot

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
     Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
     Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
     Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God." - Epicurus
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #8 - July 31, 2014, 09:00 PM

Welcome, Tasnim. parrot

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #9 - July 31, 2014, 10:11 PM

Welcome aboard!

أشهد أن لا إله
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #10 - July 31, 2014, 10:36 PM

Welcome tasnim! This is a very wonderful and supportive community, hopefully you will find comfort in sharing your feelings with us when it gets to be too much!
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #11 - July 31, 2014, 10:53 PM

Hello. welcome to the forum,
    Bengali muslims aren't too bad. compared to some middle-east and pakistani hardcore nutjobs, but they're bad enough. They still use the hell-fire trump card to control everyone's lives, especially the womenfolk.
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #12 - July 31, 2014, 11:49 PM

Welcome!  parrot
    Hello. welcome to the forum,
    Bengali muslims aren't too bad. compared to some middle-east and pakistani hardcore nutjobs, but they're bad enough. They still use the hell-fire trump card to control everyone's lives, especially the womenfolk.

I think that mostly because a lot of the older Bengalis simply aren't as knowledgeable about Islam as Pakistanis. Though that obviously is changing in the younger generations. But our cultural practices and traditions are every bit as backward.

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

• Greetings from London
     Reply #13 - August 01, 2014, 12:04 AM

Salami-ali-ding-dong Tasnim! What a lovely name. The meaning of Tasnim:

Spring/Fountain in Paradise CEMB.

Beneath the fountain you shall find me singing 'I'm a Bengali girl, in a Bengali world, life as a murtad, is fantastic! You can show your hair and wear sexy underwear, imagination, Hell is your creation. Come on Bengali let's go party!!!'

Ride the unicorn:

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #14 - August 01, 2014, 01:23 AM

Welcome! No need to apologize for your writing, it was very smooth and easy to follow.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #15 - August 01, 2014, 01:24 AM

Welcome to the forum Tasnim1404, have a rabbit!  bunny

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #16 - August 01, 2014, 05:00 AM

Welcome!  parrot
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #17 - August 01, 2014, 07:39 AM

Welcome Tasnim Smiley

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #18 - August 01, 2014, 12:12 PM

Thank you all for the welcome messages. Everyone is so friendly.
    I think I'm going to enjoy my time here  Smiley

I was feeling down for a while but this brought the smile back to my face:
    Salami-ali-ding-dong Tasnim! What a lovely name. The meaning of Tasnim:

Beneath the fountain you shall find me singing 'I'm a Bengali girl, in a Bengali world, life as a murtad, is fantastic! You can show your hair and wear sexy underwear, imagination, Hell is your creation. Come on Bengali let's go party!!!'

• Greetings from London
     Reply #19 - August 01, 2014, 03:24 PM

parrot

Welcome!  You are not alone!

http://alomshaha.com/the-young-atheists-handbook/

Your comment about the teacher counting his money reminded me - follow the money!

I thought these preachers did it for free to save souls from hell....

Actually, how much does Inland Revenue know about this income?  Is it cash?  How much  is declared?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #20 - August 01, 2014, 04:48 PM

Welcome tasnim!

Did u just steal my mind? Cuz thats how i think, exactly the same! :d

Have a  parrot & a  bunny Smiley

I think it will take much longer than 4 gens till religion is all done. I cant wait till religion doesnt exst, it will solve a lot of problems!!

Dogs never bite me - just humans. ~ M. Monroe

Religions seem to cause more grief than good.

Exmuslim Chat
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #21 - August 01, 2014, 08:12 PM

Actually, how much does Inland Revenue know about this income?  Is it cash?  How much  is declared?

I'm not sure how much they know about it but they probably dismiss it thinking it's a part of the culture...
    It is paid in cash on an hourly rate depending on the teacher.

Did u just steal my mind? Cuz thats how i think, exactly the same! :d

Great minds think alike  Wink

I think it will take much longer than 4 gens till religion is all done. I cant wait till religion doesnt exst, it will solve a lot of problems!!

It will take a long time but luckily it has started dying out especially in secular countries.

• Greetings from London
     Reply #22 - August 06, 2014, 11:21 AM

Welcome to life!!!! The world of science, art, music love, philosophy, pain, hurt, anger,but above all.....truth. Spread the message subtly to your friends and family. Liberate them too.
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #23 - August 06, 2014, 04:49 PM

tasnim, do you know about Bangladeshi medical doctor and writer Taslima Nasrin? She is one brave woman, born in a Muslim family but openly an atheist. Perhaps you should check her website. She has written several books and articles in Bengali. Some of her books have been translated into English.

वासुदैव कुटुम्बकम्
    Entire World is One Family
    سارا سنسار ايک پريوار ہے
  • Greetings from London
     Reply #24 - August 07, 2014, 12:30 PM

tasnim, do you know about Bangladeshi medical doctor and writer Taslima Nasrin? She is one brave woman, born in a Muslim family but openly an atheist. Perhaps you should check her website. She has written several books and articles in Bengali. Some of her books have been translated into English.

I do know about her. She was the one that gave me that final push to become an atheist. I truly admire her Smiley

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »