Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: How evangelical is Islam?

(Read 4011 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • How evangelical is Islam?
     OP - July 23, 2014, 05:14 PM

There is a clear commandment by Jesus to go into the all world and make disciples in his name, and this can be evidenced by Thought for the Day, American mega churches, mormons, Jehovahs witnesses.

I get the impression that Islam isn't actually that evangelical - more strengthening existing believers and shouting yer going to hell at kuffar.

So how evangelical is Islam?  Is the main tool holy war, not persuasion?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #1 - July 23, 2014, 05:44 PM

Islam is at least, or more so, as evangelical as Christianity. Dawah is a religious obligation upon every person after each individual's capacity. "Convey from me even if it is a verse" is the most used hadith for this, but there are a lot of verses and hadeeth that talk about this.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #2 - July 23, 2014, 05:48 PM

But I don't remember ever seeing a Muslim knock on my door as JWs do, although there is a large mosque near.

My point is - it does not feel as evangelical.

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

Reply #3 - July 23, 2014, 05:51 PM

Islam is just as evangelical as Christianity or any other religion, in fact if you're speaking specifically of JWs, then there's Jama'at at-Tableegh which does exactly that, knocks on doors and invites people to Islam.
     Reply #4 - July 23, 2014, 05:52 PM

They use different methods because of culture and traditions, not because of actual differences in the evangelical message. As mentioned, Tableeghi is an example as well as iEra. Compare the two Smiley

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #5 - July 23, 2014, 06:01 PM

Islam is intrinsically evangelical. Just as evangelical as Christianity. They are the two most evangelical, aggressively prosletysing religions.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #6 - July 23, 2014, 06:30 PM

There is a clear commandment by Jesus to go into the all world and make disciples in his name, and this can be evidenced by Thought for the Day, American mega churches, mormons, Jehovahs witnesses.

I get the impression that Islam isn't actually that evangelical - more strengthening existing believers and shouting yer going to hell at kuffar.

Da'wah - calling to Islam - is extremely imortant. In fact it is an obligation:

Allah - Most High and Very Enormous is He, said in his holy book, The Qur'an:

"Invite to the Way of your Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious" (16:125)

"Enjoin what is right, forbid what is wrong.", and believe in Allah. (3:110)

And let there be [arising] from you a nation inviting to [all that is] good, enjoining what is right and forbidding what is wrong, and those will be the successful. (3:104)

The Prophet (Sweetest Blessing be upon him) has said: “Convey from me, even one verse.” (Bukhari)

Aqoolu qawli hatha wa astaghfirulah li wa lakum.
     Reply #7 - July 23, 2014, 06:41 PM

^^^ Take' Beer!

Reply #8 - July 23, 2014, 06:44 PM

I've never seen muslims evangelize door to door either that's like asking for trouble lol, i only ever seen them set up book stalls on the street but what they do best is befriend non muslims and talk them into believing their life is worthless without islam, infact that is how i became muslim, my neighbour made friends with me and preached endlessly about islam until i finally gave in lol.
     Reply #9 - July 23, 2014, 06:56 PM

Creepy clingy friends!
     Reply #10 - July 23, 2014, 07:09 PM

I've never seen muslims evangelize door to door either that's like asking for trouble lol, i only ever seen them set up book stalls on the street but what they do best is befriend non muslims and talk them into believing their life is worthless without islam, infact that is how i became muslim, my neighbour made friends with me and preached endlessly about islam until i finally gave in lol.

That's fucked up.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #11 - July 23, 2014, 07:19 PM

There is a group - Tablighi Jamaat - whose whole purpose is giving Da'wah and they regularly go knocking on doors. BUT only the houses of Muslims - lax Muslims - or one's they deem lax - then give them Da'wah and then invite them to the mosque to listen to the "Maulana" or "Ameer" give another talk after prayers.

They are big up north - especially places like Dewsbury.
     Reply #12 - July 23, 2014, 07:22 PM

I was taken on one way back in 1980  shortly after I had become practising. Was first taken to Dewsbury - then on to Leeds where I stayed for two weeks sleeping on the floor of the mosque making sure I was facing Mecca (they told me it was very important)
     Reply #13 - July 23, 2014, 07:42 PM

Creepy clingy friends!

Lol yep they are
    That's fucked up.

Yes it is, although it did take them 3 years of endless headache dawah preaching and endless marriage proposals from random men to crack this hard nut lol, i like to believe i came to islam on my own accord, not    wacko  infact now i think back i was actually pressured into taking shahada, the guy was throwing baby tantrums that night, lol the next day i came to my senses and was planning on running away.. They only do dawah really so they can get reward from Allah as if they give a crap about you..  and then you utter the shahada like some magic spell has been cast, suddenly you are pure and the gates of heaven have been opened for you
     Reply #14 - July 23, 2014, 07:46 PM

In the late 80's, early 90's, I watched Ahmed Deedat videos, which were not only dawah but also a way of countering christian evangelism.  I found it distasteful that christians would knock on doors and tell people to follow their religion. I always was of a mind that people should follow whatever they liked and if they wanted to find out about other faiths/beliefs, they could go and get the information, a process of discovery not bumping into a salesman at a used car lot.
    I started seeing what the Tablighi Jamaat people were doing and that annoyed me too. Now I see iera and their ilk and I find it as distasteful as the christian evangelists. In fact, I hate any kind of aggressive propagation of  thoughts and ideas.
     Reply #15 - July 23, 2014, 07:49 PM

Lol yep they are

Yes it is, although it did take them 3 years of endless headache dawah preaching and endless marriage proposals from random men to crack this hard nut lol, i like to believe i came to islam on my own accord, not    wacko  infact now i think back i was actually pressured into taking shahada, the guy was throwing baby tantrums that night, lol the next day i came to my senses and was planning on running away.. They only do dawah really so they can get reward from Allah as if they give a crap about you..

TBH is friends the right term? More like fascistic politicians.
     Reply #16 - July 23, 2014, 09:24 PM

There is a group - Tablighi Jamaat - whose whole purpose is giving Da'wah and they regularly go knocking on doors. BUT only the houses of Muslims - lax Muslims - or one's they deem lax - then give them Da'wah and then invite them to the mosque to listen to the "Maulana" or "Ameer" give another talk after prayers.

They are big up north - especially places like Dewsbury.

They also visit corner shops. I rarely see them now, but they are aprticularly active in un-down or depressed areas.

I remember they invited my friends and I to go to mosque for a talk and we all flat out refused because we said we had to go to the gym. They were not impressed. Then we got into a debate/argument as to why they weren't giving dawah to the taliban at which point they left the shop but not before asking for a small donation.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #17 - July 23, 2014, 09:43 PM

The Quran statement 'You are but a warner' and the fact that Muhammad was a rasul - messenger with the Final Revelation is enough to convince anyone that Islam is an evangelic faith in the same vein as Jesus-anity.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • Re: How evangelical is Islam?
     Reply #18 - July 23, 2014, 11:00 PM

I have had one Muslim come to my door to preach the word of the Quran. He was the one that gave me my first Quran back when I was a teenager. However the Muslim population is extremely low in my area so I do not know if this is normal but rare is my area.
     Reply #19 - July 24, 2014, 12:11 AM

In the late 80's, early 90's, I watched Ahmed Deedat videos, which were not only dawah but also a way of countering christian evangelism.  I found it distasteful that christians would knock on doors and tell people to follow their religion. I always was of a mind that people should follow whatever they liked and if they wanted to find out about other faiths/beliefs, they could go and get the information, a process of discovery not bumping into a salesman at a used car lot.
    I started seeing what the Tablighi Jamaat people were doing and that annoyed me too. Now I see iera and their ilk and I find it as distasteful as the christian evangelists. In fact, I hate any kind of aggressive propagation of  thoughts and ideas.

I was up on Deedat, too. I had the same issues. I feel like Christian Evangelism is being aped, but also in the US there is probably a more traditional dawah model than that, with the NOI and their successes.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #20 - July 24, 2014, 12:16 AM

lots of the modern dawah artists copy from Christian evangelists especially William Lane Craig. Pretty pathetic when you think of it.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #21 - July 24, 2014, 12:18 AM

It is pathetic, and I was not sure that what seemed familiar was, in fact, what it appeared to be. Insane.

Reply #22 - July 24, 2014, 12:29 AM

Is my earlier point correct?  Most effort is actually spent on allegedly lax muslims?

A.A. Milne,

Reply #23 - July 24, 2014, 12:30 AM

I think it must be, because this sort of dawah is done in Muslim countries, I know those who did this in Pakistan, as a sort of youth camping trip.

Reply #24 - July 24, 2014, 09:15 AM

Actually that is true of xianity - most effort is spent in already vaguely xian areas.

Interesting = that evangelicals of all types tend to re-infect those already partly infected.

I wonder if there is a parasite model. Darwin's famous example?

I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent & omnipotent God would have designedly created the Ichneumonidæ with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of caterpillars,

A.A. Milne,

Reply #25 - July 24, 2014, 09:17 AM

Is my earlier point correct?  Most effort is actually spent on allegedly lax muslims?

In the case of Jamaat Tabligh, yes. In general, I'm not sure, but I suspect it's pretty neck and neck.

But I would say that Islam is as evangelical as Christianity - and every Muslim is required to give da'wah to non-Muslims when the opportunity arises.

In fact there is a hadith about it being wrong to stay in the land of the Kuffar - or possibly dar-al-harb - unless for reasons of giving Da'wah.
     Reply #26 - July 24, 2014, 09:33 AM

Ha yes that is true, i forgot about that, i remember my muslim friends always telling me it is haram for them to be in the uk if they are not making dawah lol otherwise they should leave..
     Reply #27 - July 24, 2014, 09:39 AM

Really? 

But that means those who have not learnt English and therefore cannot evangelise are by definition lapsed.  As are those who are not continually evangelising.

Therefore are there far more lapsed muslims than is believed?

A.A. Milne,

Reply #28 - July 24, 2014, 09:48 AM

Really? 

But that means those who have not learnt English and therefore cannot evangelise are by definition lapsed.  As are those who are not continually evangelising.

Therefore are there far more lapsed muslims than is believed?

Da'wah can be defined in pretty broad terms - such as just showing people a good example of a 'good Muslims" is Da'wah.

It doesn't have to be face to face discussions.

I remember the example of Muslims in the far east (Malaysia, Indonesia etc...) are given as a case in point - they were converted - purportedly - by Muslim traders who just gave a 'good example of Islam'.
     Reply #29 - July 24, 2014, 11:00 AM

Yep Dawah in a broad sense, making friends with non muslims, mingling, gently spreading the word, to some it is considered obligatory otherwise it is a sin to be in the land of Kuffar
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »