Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 11, 2024, 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Poll

• Question: What were the main reasons that led you to leave/start questioning islam?
  • Historical/scientific inaccuracies - 15 (13.4%)
  • Teachings go against personal views & lifestyle - 17 (15.2%)
  • It all started to simply sound made-up - 18 (16.1%)
  • Bad things in the world or personal issues - 5 (4.5%)
  • Contradictions in the quran - 12 (10.7%)
  • Treatment of women in islam - 22 (19.6%)
  • Violence from Muhammad (and in the quran in general) - 12 (10.7%)
  • Other (specify!!) - 11 (9.8%)
  • Total Voters: 34

Topic: Why did you leave Islam

(Read 7862 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Why did you leave Islam
     OP - July 22, 2014, 03:58 PM

Sorry if this has been done before, but I'm quite curious to know why some of you left the religion. If there are answers that I haven't put up, just discuss below Smiley You can vote more than once by the way  grin12

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke."
     Reply #1 - July 22, 2014, 04:07 PM

Other:

Because theism is ill supported.
    The evidence is in favour of metaphysical naturalism and the prior probability of naturalism is larger than any one religion.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #2 - July 22, 2014, 04:18 PM

Cheesy

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke."
     Reply #3 - July 22, 2014, 04:22 PM

A better way of explaining it is like this:

Some have the preconceived notion that two competing hypotheses are "equal" until one is proven over the other.

Let's examine two hypotheses: Naturalism (H0) and Theism (H1)

Assumptions of H0:
    Everything arises from natural properties and causes.

H1 (Islamic view) :
    There is a designer, who created the Universe but he cares where you put your penis.
    He demands worship, although he actually doesn't need it.
    He is omnipotent, any problems we face are a test.
    Etc..

As you can see, even from the outset... there is an asymmetry between assumptions made by H0 and assumptions made by H1.
    Not all hypotheses are created equally.

This is what I mean by prior probabilities, before "testing" begins, which seems the more likely?
    Therefore, which should be the null hypothesis?

Hint: Naturalism is the answer.

Reply #4 - July 22, 2014, 04:35 PM

I voted " It all started to simply sound made-up" as there wasn't one particular thing that caused a Eureka moment.

It was a gradual shift in the way I looked at Islam. It started with mild criticism and just snowballed until one day I could no longer avoid the fact that I didn't believe in it.

It was a strange feeling - sort of - WTF? How come I never noticed before that this is utter bollocks! lol

Reply #5 - July 22, 2014, 04:38 PM

You mean... the Buraq isn't real?  Cry

Reply #6 - July 22, 2014, 04:49 PM

No.  far away hug

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett
     Reply #7 - July 22, 2014, 05:10 PM

You mean... the Buraq isn't real?  Cry

Funnily enough I found stuff like that pretty easy to deal with. I regarded all the details about Buraq and Muhammad's night journey as metaphors for some sort of spiritual experience that is beyond our understanding. I found it annoying the way some never-been-Muslim critics of Islam talked about stuff like that - another example is the muddy spring verse - as if it was childish nonsense - when I knew very few - if any - Muslims who took that stuff literally.

It was stuff like Hell that I couldn't explain away using the metaphor argument. Since a metaphor for unbearable suffering is still as insanely cruel. And whereas I could swallow all the mystical and Sufi orientated explanations of the Night Journey - I found the apologetics for Hell - or verses like 4:34 - dishonest and embarrassing.
     Reply #8 - July 22, 2014, 05:13 PM

No.  far away hug

Actually Jedi has one. I've seen it. So it must be true.
     Reply #9 - July 22, 2014, 05:20 PM

Short answer: I grew up and stopped believing in silly shit.
    Long answer: Why I left Islam.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #10 - July 22, 2014, 05:25 PM

You mean... the Buraq isn't real?  Cry

He's president of America you fool. Buraq Obama. finmad

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #11 - July 22, 2014, 05:27 PM

Funnily enough I found stuff like that pretty easy to deal with. I regarded all the details about Buraq and Muhammad's night journey as metaphors for some sort of spiritual experience that is beyond our understanding. I found it annoying the way some never-been-Muslim critics of Islam talked about stuff like that - another example is the muddy spring verse - as if it was childish nonsense - when I knew very few - if any - Muslims who took that stuff literally.

It was stuff like Hell that I couldn't explain away using the metaphor argument. Since a metaphor for unbearable suffering is still as insanely cruel. And whereas I could swallow all the mystical and Sufi orientated explanations of the Night Journey - I found the apologetics for Hell - or verses like 4:34 - dishonest and embarrassing.

Agreed, even a finite (Quranic) hell is hardly representative of a maximally great being aka "God".

Reply #12 - July 22, 2014, 05:28 PM

He's president of America you fool. Buraq Obama. finmad

Reply #13 - July 22, 2014, 06:25 PM

Cheesy

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett
     Reply #14 - July 22, 2014, 06:40 PM

LOL Cheesy

Me: Hey Allah!
    Allah: KAFIR!
     Reply #15 - July 22, 2014, 07:02 PM

i just cant believe there s a god, simple reason, i voted others hehe.
    Also all the rules and stuff, i dont like to live by rules. I just wanna live MY life MY way.

Dogs never bite me - just humans. ~ M. Monroe

Religions seem to cause more grief than good.

Exmuslim Chat
     Reply #16 - July 22, 2014, 07:06 PM

@Buraq Obama Cheesy

For me it's all of the options at once. My road to apostasy was pretty short, it occurred over a few weeks. Once, I actually committed myself to understanding Islam, I found far too many reasons and not enough excuses to believe in Islam.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
     Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
     Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
     Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God." - Epicurus
     Reply #17 - July 22, 2014, 07:12 PM

Abu ali. It was exactly same with me. What i dont get is why wud the qoran use metaphors when not everyone can understand them. Surely allah shud have made the qoran an easy to interpret book. Its obviously made up.

"Question with boldness even the existence of God...because...if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear"...Thomas Jefferson
     Reply #18 - July 22, 2014, 07:18 PM

For all the reasons stated above. When I was a muslim, I was not happy deep inside. I always knew there was something wrong. Everything I wanted/want to do is considered haram. What religion did to me, was taking away my individuality.
    The boredom associated with the Islamic lifestyle was just unbearable, controlling everything. That is not what you call living, that is just trying to be good muslims and missing out all the wonderful experiences that you can have.
    It wasnt healthy having such mindset. At least now Im mentally free.  Living life as it is and knowing that it is not a test, because bad and good things happen with no reason.
     Reply #19 - July 22, 2014, 07:48 PM

I put violence. Hell is included in that right? For me the concept of hell was what really got me questioning Islam. That billions of people will be tortured for no other reason than the fact that they didn't believe. I don't know how anyone can condone that. 
     Reply #20 - July 23, 2014, 04:42 AM

Treatment of women always hurt me (literally hurt me to the point of crying sometimes when I was younger) but accepted it as God's will and God's plan. At some point I started slowly realizing that it was all bullshit and I no longer accepted the women issue. So I voted 3 & 6.

I will say though that there WAS a Eureka moment (as Abu Ali put it) and it was when I was reading this book about various mythologies and was deeply disturbed by the number of mentions of virgin births and global floods. Hmmmmmm....

LOL @ Buraq Obama!

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #21 - July 23, 2014, 06:09 AM

I've left but I still call myself a Muslim because of cultural reasons.

I love to occasionally fast for a day or two. I like the ayas I recite because it reminds me of my childhood. I do not mind praying once in a while. I just pray to the universe or something.

I also fucking love Azaan and Eid.
     Reply #22 - July 23, 2014, 06:43 AM

^^^^^^^^^

There's nothing wrong with that.

I consider myself a cultural Muslim too.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #23 - July 23, 2014, 06:54 AM

I left because of predestination. At some point I figured out if we had to believe in Qadr and the whole 'nothing that is meant for me will miss me, nothing that wasn't meant for me will hit me' blabla, then I didn't have any say in whether I became a good Muslim or not. And if I didn't have any say in it, it was that douchebag in the air that did. So basically he was the one who decided which one of us would behave bad enough to go to Jahannam. And I didn't like that douchebag for doing that to me or others.

I actually never had any problem with the weird stuff like the splitting of the moon, Buraq etc. I mean, if you believe there's a skydaddy, surely you can believe he can do magic tricks?

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
     Reply #24 - July 23, 2014, 06:58 AM

simply because i can't find the proof that God is exist. i dont hate the religion, it has so many school of thought that fits my criteria as a "peaceful religion". but since the main idea of Islam is believing in ONE GOD which i dont believe anymore, therefore, i must say that i cant call myself a muslim anymore. although i still do some of its ritual such as prayer, the dzikr, etc
     Reply #25 - July 23, 2014, 09:03 AM

Nice thread! I've doubted for several reasons, the biggest reason being the violence against non believers and women.

I put violence. Hell is included in that right? For me the concept of hell was what really got me questioning Islam. That billions of people will be tortured for no other reason than the fact that they didn't believe. I don't know how anyone can condone that. 

I never understood why someone who's a good person will burn in hell forever because they didn't follow Islam. That thought alone is depressing. What about people who were never exposed to Islam? Burn in hell?
     Reply #26 - July 23, 2014, 09:09 AM

Think those that were not exposed or were exposed to a highly polluted version of Islam wouldn't go to hell.

It just points to the fact that it isn't very moral and is not based on morals. Think it more is that people want to tribalise and dehumanise the other group.
     Reply #27 - July 23, 2014, 09:30 AM

So those who were not exposed to Islam get a free ticket to heaven? So we are judged not by what kind of person we are, but where or when we were born? Ridiculous.

The more we question, the less sense it makes. I guess we all had that one question that got the ball rolling.
     Reply #28 - July 23, 2014, 09:36 AM

^Exactly. Those questions were the reason why it didn't make sense. Because if life is a test, then it is the most unfair one.
     Reply #29 - July 23, 2014, 10:13 AM

So those who were not exposed to Islam get a free ticket to heaven?

Not exactly. Can't be bothered with looking up the hadith, but the people who were never exposed to Islam will still be thrown in Hell, except that they will not burn (kinda like Abraham when he was burned by the infidels in that one story) and will not feel the heat of it. THEN I suppose they are sent to heaven.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »