Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Left Islam today and feeling afraid, need support...

(Read 7412 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Left Islam today and feeling afraid, need support...
     Reply #30 - July 21, 2014, 09:36 AM

signwelcome Psiecton (does that mean anything btw?) 

The fear of hell will pass in time. Don't worry. Like you said, it's silly. 
     Reply #31 - July 21, 2014, 06:13 PM

A warm welcome from me too Psiecton, i enjoyed your posts.. Yes like somebody mentioned above, you have made a lucky escape with regards to islamic marriage, dont get married until you have fulfilled all of your dreams and goals in life (unless you find someone like minded to share them with : )   if i could rewind back time i would sooo loved to have studied Physics too..  : )  all the best with it and i hope you enjoy the UK !

X

Thanks for the warm welcome suki!  far away hug I am just thinking that whenever we meet people and if there's mutual interest, why not go for it. Not sure how it would turn out to sustain a long-term relationship though, I think I need a man or a woman who will be equally interested or involved in some of my fields of interest, because sadly Physics seems to invade the mind during sleep as well  Cheesy they should also consider that I am quite a spontaneous person, I can't do journals or schedules, and may want to do something completely random during the day (without disturbing the daily vital Physics-time) etc, etc... I wonder if the guys who proposed to me were actually kidding that they're totally into a niqabi chick who does Physics.

Definitely seemed suspicious to me.

I am proud to welcome a woman like you Smiley. Women talented in science are rare in my country. Here have a parrot, a rabbit and a pig for this- parrot bunny piggy.

Rubaya, thanks so much for your welcome. I think that it is not that women who are talented in science are rare by themselves, but it is the lack of opportunities for them to develop and express their scientific interests, as well as the Islamic ideology of a woman being exclusively "created for the home, for the pleasure of the husband and to bear children", and I am quoting the "highly-esteemed" Muslim scholar  Saaleh al-Fawzaan on this, these are his words. Indeed, what a miserable life it is to have a brain, to have intellect, but not being able to use it. It seems as if one of the foundational principles of Islam lies in the control of women, thus it is nearly impossible for women to truly thrive in STEM fields in a Muslim-majority country. There tends to be an equal amount of women and men in science when the education and promotion of science among women increases.

There's one curious observation, that from my personal experience, engineers and scientists who were mostly taught to have factual knowledge aren't benefiting from the scientific method at all, rather I think they're graduating from their respective fields without a full understanding in the scientific method. Creative and independent thinking fosters doubt, experimentation, challenging one's beliefs. They just go with what they know and don't even consider tapping into further detail and the whole underlying framework of things. Thus even if science awareness increases, it must increase the awareness of the scientific method and its application and not just factual knowledge.

Welcome to the forum, Psiecton. Reading your thread, I'm really thrilled that you never got married or your life would be so much more complicated. You are very young, and you are about to start a very exciting new chapter of your life abroad. Things with regards to your apostasy will start feeling normal soon, and with time you will laugh at yourself for ever fearing the concept of Hell.

Thanks so much, Naerys, for your encouraging words! I am anxious and excited and, ugh, well, this forum is quite a godsend, otherwise I would be definitely struggling more, but I do realize that my experience is much easier than for those of you who were born into muslim families and I truly hope that I would be able to be helpful in any way those who had it much worse with their families. I had to live apart from my parents for 2 years before that due to family issues, when I returned I converted to Islam, so it caused a lot of tension, but they are happier to see me "back" than before. My conversion wasn't sudden, as before that I was "practicing" on-and-off and couldn't fully grasp the whole implementation of atheism (and how it is really just the realization of the scientific method).

The guys who proposed to me were saying that actually I should marry as soon as possible and everyone else from the women I knew said the same.  grin12 When I said that I want to do science and I am not sure how that would work out with a marriage and children, they said that my place is in the home and not in science. I was always struggling with letting go of my dream to do science and the idea of getting married, submitting fully to my husband and never going outside again. But I believed very strongly and tried as much as possible to "battle my soul".

I hope that if I ever meet a woman in a similar situation I would be able to help her with thinking critically about it. I knew of a 18 year-old woman who actually went to a Muslim country because a "person of Islamic knowledge" guaranteed that her life in a Muslim country would be so much better than in Europe. She went there without money, without anything, and ended up marrying him several months later because, well, basically she had no other choice, as she was a full-niqabi Salafi woman. When we spoke, she spoke of him as if she worshiped him, as if it was some kind of a cult. "Everywhere he goes, all of the people love him", "it is impossible to not to love him" were her repetetive chants. Once she told me that "they" want me to be their second wife. When I disagreed, I got named a disbeliever, and that was actually done publicly. I was quite vocal then because I had an Islamic website and posted lots of stuff, and so my name and the declaration of takfir was all over the place Roll Eyes I was told that I am ungrateful to Allah for that proposal.

Later on I "diagnosed" that guy with narcissistic personality disorder. I hope they get help and will be able to live a healthy life eventually.
    I do not mean to put anyone down by that, by the way. NPD is a serious condition, and he manifested very serious symptoms, however I am not a psychiatrist so obviously I am not being completely sure nor serious. It was very troubling, however, and I was very worried for their marriage personally. But that's my problem because I always want to save and help everyone and that could turn out to be more egoistic than it should be parrot

Cheesy What do they call 30 then?

Thanks for the welcome, osmanthus! In UK/Ireland there's an age limit for school. After 18 you have to go to an adult center to graduate. The thing is that they offer really "poor" education as I definitely need at least a little bit of a strict and simulating environment to thrive in, as I am quite disorganized myself, but adult learning centers are more lax and there are more people into partying than studying in comparison with a science-inclined college.
     Reply #32 - July 21, 2014, 06:39 PM

Congrats on seeing the light
     Reply #33 - July 21, 2014, 06:43 PM

I can't recommend this video enough, to anyone who still has lingering fears of Hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaL7CkQaQpU
     Reply #34 - July 22, 2014, 03:58 PM

I browsed though a few threads and I can't express what I am feeling really... you are all very supportive. I resonated with a lot of what I read today. At some point in my life before becoming Muslim I went through clinical depression and frequent visits to a psychiatrist who said that I have a schizotypical personality. I do not believe it to be true, though, but perhaps my personality is a bit "odd" to many people. And when I "apostatized" today, I started feeling the same way of what I remember from that lengthy period of clinical depression. This forum is truly wonderful, and really intelligent.

You're not the only one to feel the grip of depression related to leaving Islam. It really is an all-encompassing way of life, not just a religion. Carrying on with the distractions of one's daily life, in addition to learning about the myriad evidence that points towards Islam's falsehood are key in overcoming many of these feelings of doubt, even despondency. The forum I hope will be a great resource for you in that.  Smiley

Thank you so much ascibe and Abu Ali  Smiley

Cheesy That's a new one. And you're welcome.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #35 - July 23, 2014, 01:29 AM

Don't worry about the feeling had It when I first left islam too once you go in deeper the fear will reduce took me months before I got over it the more evidence you find the less fear you feel personally this video is what got rid of all the fear I had *10 reasons why islam is scientifically incorrect*
     Reply #36 - July 23, 2014, 02:45 AM

left islam and ur a physics fan? marry me? grin12
     Reply #37 - July 23, 2014, 03:24 AM

And a Star Trek fan too it seems.   Original Series or TNG?  DS9?

Oh my Christopher Hitchens its a fihrrrrrrrrrrrr
     Reply #38 - July 23, 2014, 04:42 AM

TNG is the best unless you actually count the ferengi and the shapeshifter's interactions as equal to the moral philosophy of Picard? No? Thought not.

I am by my nature a poet and a philosopher, and on that basis I say Picard is the best.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #39 - July 23, 2014, 11:10 AM

TOS>TNG for me.

Picard>>>Kirk
    Spock>Riker
    Chekov>Data
    Scotty>>>Geordi
    Bones>>>Crusher

That's 4:1
     Reply #40 - July 23, 2014, 11:12 AM

And a Star Trek fan too it seems.   Original Series or TNG?  DS9?

TOS all the way  yes
     Reply #41 - July 23, 2014, 11:15 AM

7 of 9 > all.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #42 - July 23, 2014, 11:17 AM

TOS>TNG for me.

Picard>>>Kirk
    Spock>Riker
    Chekov>Data
    Scotty>>>Geordi
    Bones>>>Crusher

That's 4:1

This is causing me to experience strange, fuzzy feelings.

I really like your brain.

parrot
     Reply #43 - July 23, 2014, 11:21 AM

Surely, there has to be something we can disagree upon?  Smiley
     Reply #44 - July 23, 2014, 11:31 AM

Sorry Descent - but my god is this so cute!
     Reply #45 - July 23, 2014, 11:32 AM

This is so much fun, although I barely understand the Star Trek shizzle.  bunny

Edit: Lol, Lilyesque! Grab some popcorn. I've got beer.

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
     Reply #46 - July 23, 2014, 11:35 AM

I have fuzzy feelings looking at the nerdgasm between these two!
     Reply #47 - July 23, 2014, 12:01 PM

Hello and welcome !  Kiss

I never actually did a proper introduction, but I'm still working on it. I'm actually a biology student in France. I actually received some negative insights about my studies and my future from my own family. I started by studying about Agriculture studies and it just struck me how important our nature and other organisms for our future. I agree with what you said above about some scientist just absorb everything they learn and jot down everything without the actual scientific method. I'm so so happy that you're into science and have the same beliefs as me. It's a positive situation for both you and I.

Since I did my researches and discovery in science, religions and history of humans before exiting Islam, I concluded that when you die, it's over, null, no after-life, no hell nor heaven. But I do believe that our knowledges are immortal when seeded into one's mind, the future generations. Especially with today's modernity, we can find almost anything that we're looking for. I'm also learning about geology and paleontology, and that whatever happen on earth or in the universe is traced down and can be found if we're curious about it and be honest about the discoveries. I personally went to a site where fossils are still in place. I believe 100% on Darwin's theory. However, we could be wrong or right and whatever is right today might be wrong in the future (take note the development of science since the Roman or the Egyptians). It might sound childish or superstitious but I believe that if we implanted a good seed into one's mind, it will nurture into a better future. So maybe, maybe one day if we continue to care for each other, to care about the nature and the universe that we're coexisting, I will be reborn in the better future that I wish I had now, with the ideas of the curious people in the past. Even if I do so, I will never have any memories of my past lives and I accept that. And that's how I escaped my fear for hell. I hope my personal insight will help you in your thinkings  far away hug

"Live as if were to die tomorrow, learn as if you live forever." - Gandhi.

Reply #48 - July 23, 2014, 12:11 PM

We are just excited because we share similarities in our genotypes.  Smiley

More than any other species, humans form social ties to individuals who are neither kin nor mates, and these ties tend to be with similar people. Here, we show that this similarity extends to genotypes. Across the whole genome, friends’ genotypes at the single nucleotide polymorphism level tend to be positively correlated (homophilic). In fact, the increase in similarity relative to strangers is at the level of fourth cousins. However, certain geno- types are also negatively correlated (heterophilic) in friends. And the degree of correlation in genotypes can be used to create a “friendship score” that predicts the existence of friendship ties in a hold-out sample. A focused gene-set analysis indicates that some of the overall correlation in genotypes can be explained by specific systems; for example, an olfactory gene set is homophilic and an immune system gene set is heterophilic, suggesting that these systems may play a role in the formation or maintenance of friendship ties. Friends may be a kind of “functional kin.” Finally, homophilic genotypes exhibit significantly higher measures of positive selection, suggesting that, on average, they may yield a synergistic fitness advantage that has been helping to drive re- cent human evolution.

"Friendship and natural selection" abstract,Nicholas A. Christakisa,b,c and James H. Fowlerd, edited by Francisco J. Ayala, University of California, Irvine, CA, and approved March 7, 2014 (received for review January 15, 2014), PNAS

http://www.pnas.org/content/111/Supplement_3/10796.full.pdf?sid=8fec0e8d-028e-457c-822f-f847d69a0163
     Reply #49 - July 23, 2014, 12:36 PM

Hello and welcome !  Kiss

I never actually did a proper introduction, but I'm still working on it. I'm actually a biology student in France. I actually received some negative insights about my studies and my future from my own family. I started by studying about Agriculture studies and it just struck me how important our nature and other organisms for our future. I agree with what you said above about some scientist just absorb everything they learn and jot down everything without the actual scientific method. I'm so so happy that you're into science and have the same beliefs as me. It's a positive situation for both you and I.

Since I did my researches and discovery in science, religions and history of humans before exiting Islam, I concluded that when you die, it's over, null, no after-life, no hell nor heaven. But I do believe that our knowledges are immortal when seeded into one's mind, the future generations. Especially with today's modernity, we can find almost anything that we're looking for. I'm also learning about geology and paleontology, and that whatever happen on earth or in the universe is traced down and can be found if we're curious about it and be honest about the discoveries. I personally went to a site where fossils are still in place. I believe 100% on Darwin's theory. However, we could be wrong or right and whatever is right today might be wrong in the future (take note the development of science since the Roman or the Egyptians). It might sound childish or superstitious but I believe that if we implanted a good seed into one's mind, it will nurture into a better future. So maybe, maybe one day if we continue to care for each other, to care about the nature and the universe that we're coexisting, I will be reborn in the better future that I wish I had now, with the ideas of the curious people in the past. Even if I do so, I will never have any memories of my past lives and I accept that. And that's how I escaped my fear for hell. I hope my personal insight will help you in your thinkings  far away hug

"Live as if were to die tomorrow, learn as if you live forever." - Gandhi.

Hi, hippiegandhi! Thanks a lot for the welcome  far away hug I'm very happy to meet you and Biology is fascinating, especially genetics and neurobiology. All of the STEM fields overalap beautifully. There's nothing comparable to the sense of wonder and awe in science and the constant need and ability to challenge one's own perception of things. I remember being called mad for delving into the fundamental depths of every field of interest. It would be surprising to avoid accusations of hypocrisy when changing one's worldview based on empirical evidence, but the people, at large, are not to be blamed. There's a major misunderstanding of the scientific method and its necessity, and if you come to think of it, realizing the fallibility of something and abandoning it is the exact application of the scientific method, not hypocrisy or impulsivity.

Your thoughts are beautiful and there's nothing childish or superstitious about knowing that we affect the lives of others either positively or negatively. But sadly we can't affect how the information will be processed in their brain, and so, sometimes we might say something we deem to be beneficial for our conversational partner, however it's the opposite. So what I live by is intellectual honesty, not wishful thinking, and true empathy. Because doing good for the sake of a reward is not empathy, it's egoism, a disconnect from other beings. I think that what we are ultimately seeking is the sense of true empathy and belonging, and I don't think it can be achieved without intellectual honesty and awe of science, discovery and its implications.
     Reply #50 - July 23, 2014, 12:41 PM

Aha, this was the thread I was missing! A formal welcome, psiecton!  parrot Great to have you here.

Surely, there has to be something we can disagree upon?  Smiley

Ask her her positions on Ramadan?
     Reply #51 - July 23, 2014, 01:42 PM

Haha, I remember that. But how can you possible like Ramadan!?
     Reply #52 - July 23, 2014, 02:02 PM

I actually didn't fast a lot this month, but I don't know, man! Holidays! I love holidays. Holidays and challenges.
     Reply #53 - July 23, 2014, 02:09 PM

I love Psiecton and Descent, so cute  : )

I have just started the 5:2 diet of intermitent fasting, i like fasting but not for like 30 days 24/7 like ramadhan  : /
     Reply #54 - July 23, 2014, 02:32 PM

I guess me apostasing this month speaks for itself  Tongue I certainly had more satanic thoughts in this month than any other month. I did fast for like a week though.
     Reply #55 - July 23, 2014, 11:59 PM

7 of 9 > all.

Ameen.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #56 - July 24, 2014, 08:35 AM

I wouldn't mind assimilating in her collective.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #57 - July 24, 2014, 01:36 PM

Cheesy

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #58 - July 25, 2014, 11:45 PM

I wouldn't mind assimilating in her collective.

I know, right? I don't get why anyone denied her offer. They don't have to cook!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #59 - July 26, 2014, 12:32 AM

A warm welcome and have a  parrot
    This first step is the most momentous and difficult. Embrace the freeing sensation and happiness that follows.

"Ours is the age which is proud of machines that think and suspicious of men who try to."
    هذا من فضل جدي
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »