Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 11, 2024, 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Left Islam today and feeling afraid, need support...

(Read 7673 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Left Islam today and feeling afraid, need support...
     OP - July 20, 2014, 07:08 PM

Hello all. I have left Islam today, I stopped wearing jilbaab and went out without jilbaab for the first time in my life and it was incredibly liberating. I am a strong Physics person, and I always understood that there is a great dissonance between science and Islam. The final endpoint was when I started going deeper and deeper into science and started exploring Dawkins' "The God Delusion", and so on and so forth. Having left the salaah, and everything, I truly feel the fear of "hellfire" even though I understand that it is completely ridiculous. One of the rationalizations I use is that a supposed supernatural entity, which is not empirical, can not produce empirical effects, such as the chemical reactions in the brain for speech to occur in order to pass down the "revelation". Combining the undeniable truth that our whole universe as a whole can be explained mathematically, and that in the grand sense we are completely chaotic, albeit you could say that on a small scale, an isolated physical system can be described as organized chaos to simplify computations. The whole mankind is an expansive pool of genetic variety, with different probabilities both in the genotype and phenotype; likewise the electrons in an atom have wavelength functions, a pool of probabilities for their supposed states. I find it fascinating, and I also find it in complete dissonance with Islam, likewise Shariah does not work to improve the society, rather it causes psychological damage to both women and men. Gender segregation, especially for a scientist, is determinential. I have been never able to make science YouTube videos, although I always wanted to, because I am a woman and my voice is an awrah. I haven't been able to swim, go running outside, go travelling, and much more. Where is the gender equality`?? On top of that, I was constantly told and bombarded that I should not pursue a scientific career.

And at one point, I got sick of it. I started researching more and more, and understood that something doesn't add up. And so - now I am an apostate - and it doesn't feel that nice at all, knowing all what I know from the Quran on apostates and the "disbelievers". All of the muslims around me do not know that I apostated, though. And yesterday I received the news that I got accepted to a college in Ireland.... well, I am leaving my muslim "friends"  and starting to do what I want to do the most. However, I feel scared, it all feels very new to me, and I feel like I committed a major crime, as if I killed hundreds of people.
    I am happy that I found this forum... Thanks everyone, and I am very sorry for the incredibly lengthy post. I am quite stressed at the moment and can not express my feelings properly, so it was very messy. I hope I could make new friends, and it would be wonderful if there's anyone in Dublin as well... Cheers.
     Reply #1 - July 20, 2014, 07:20 PM

Welcome!  parrot
     Reply #2 - July 20, 2014, 07:23 PM

Welcome!  Smiley

Listen very carefully: Hell is an absurd fiction. You are not evil. You are not going to be punished for not believing in fairytales.

it would be wonderful if there's anyone in Dublin

Yes, there is - over a million, I believe  Afro
     Reply #3 - July 20, 2014, 07:25 PM

Welcome  parrot

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
     Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
     Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
     Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God." - Epicurus
     Reply #4 - July 20, 2014, 07:28 PM

Welcome abroad/aboard!

أشهد أن لا إله
     Reply #5 - July 20, 2014, 07:31 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum, good to have you here  Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #6 - July 20, 2014, 07:32 PM

Welcome!

I am a strong Physics person

I love you already. Smiley
     Reply #7 - July 20, 2014, 07:35 PM

Welcome to the forum Psiecton, have a rabbit!  bunny

Listen very carefully: Hell is an absurd fiction. You are not evil. You are not going to be punished for not believing in fairytales.

+1

Even though its not a rational fear, it helps to be secure in that knowledge when one feels that fear. Remember, there's no reason to believe that Allah exists, and many reasons not to, and hence no reason to fear the fictional punishment of a fictional god.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #8 - July 20, 2014, 07:48 PM

Thank you so much everyone... for welcoming me... I don't know how to feel at all at the moment. I feel like crying. I am a 19 year-old revert from Estonia of Persian origin by the way who was an "orthodox Muslim" for quite a long time, covering my face and hands and abandoning everything but Islam and trying to find a husband. I just left school and that's it. Only all of those who proposed turned out to be complete idiots - excuse me for the mildly arrogant-sounding language... I felt trapped, I felt that I would have to marry someone who doesn't suit me at all, and so on and so forth...

Also, another turning point was when I started arguing against the widespread practice of pseudoscience, such as homeopathy, among many muslim women. They understood that the way homeopathy works is an issue of ghayb just like revelation.  Roll Eyes  They told me that this is exactly what the kuffaar have an issue with. I was called a kaafir many times for explaining different scientific truths. They shut me up every time with the "worldwide conspiracy against muslims" and whatnot. At that point I just thought, are muslims REALLY that scientifically illiterate? And I started questioning if the ghayb of revelation is any different from the "ghayb of homeopathy". Well, it isn't. What made me truly believe in Islam when I reverted was the realization that a god, a creator, who created the universe with a purpose, is himself uncreated and distinct from the creation. It made a lot of sense to me, I guess, maybe because at that point I still didn't have enough knowledge to fully grasp the concept of a purposeless universe. It sounds so romantic to be "created" with a purpose, doesn't it?

Though, it does sound rather creepy now... to have a god always overlooking you...  parrot'
    '
    Oh dear, it is going to be tough to adjust. The mere thought that I am probably intermixing on the forum is scaring me too. I now went and listened to some music I haven't listened for years and it was scary as well, although I felt somewhat relieved as well. I know I sound that I am joking or whatnot, but I am just masking the deep emotional change we have all probably experienced when "apostatizing". It is very comforting to hear that there's lots of ex-muslims in Dublin as well  Smiley
     Reply #9 - July 20, 2014, 07:52 PM

May I ask what you're studying?

I hope it's Physics.
     Reply #10 - July 20, 2014, 07:56 PM

It is very comforting to hear that there's lots of ex-muslims in Dublin as well  Smiley

Sorry, but I don't really know how many ex-Muslims there are in Dublin. (certainly not over a million.) It was a failed attempt at a joke. (You said it would be wonderful if there's anyone in Dublin. I said yes, over a million - the population of Dublin.)
     Reply #11 - July 20, 2014, 07:58 PM

Welcome to the forum Psiecton, have a rabbit!  bunny

+1

Even though its not a rational fear, it helps to be secure in that knowledge when one feels that fear. Remember, there's no reason to believe that Allah exists, and many reasons not to, and hence no reason to fear the fictional punishment of a fictional god.

I browsed though a few threads and I can't express what I am feeling really... you are all very supportive. I resonated with a lot of what I read today. At some point in my life before becoming Muslim I went through clinical depression and frequent visits to a psychiatrist who said that I have a schizotypical personality. I do not believe it to be true, though, but perhaps my personality is a bit "odd" to many people. And when I "apostatized" today, I started feeling the same way of what I remember from that lengthy period of clinical depression. This forum is truly wonderful, and really intelligent. Thank you so much ascibe and Abu Ali  Smiley
     Reply #12 - July 20, 2014, 08:00 PM

Sorry, but I don't really know how many ex-Muslims there are in Dublin. (certainly not over a million.) It was a failed attempt at a joke. (You said it would be wonderful if there's anyone in Dublin. I said yes, over a million - the population of Dublin.)

lol. Ugh, now I see it. Sorry. My brain has to go back to normal I guess...  Roll Eyes
     Reply #13 - July 20, 2014, 08:05 PM

So I imagine in you're in university. If so, may I ask what you're studying?

I hope it's Physics

I'm not in uni yet. The problem is that because I became an "orthodox Muslim" I left behind my science high school for slightly more than over a year, because of intermixing and other idiocy, and not all of my credits could be transferred. Now I'll complete the final year of the Irish curriculum + A-Levels to apply to uni. in the UK for Physics. Which is what I always wanted to do anyway before reverting to Islam... and now I decided to take a hold of my aspirations again and go and achieve it.  Smiley I conducted original Physics research before leaving school under Tallinn University of Technology and North Estonia Medical Center for biophysical interactions in the brain and different algorithm analyses for MRI.
    Then my clinical depression got worse and the end result was an orthodox form of Islam. Quite interesting, actually- I think I needed some sense of protection or care, which is what I got in the very beginning of reversion.
     Reply #14 - July 20, 2014, 08:07 PM

Welcome Psiecton. I would recommend having a read of this, if you haven't already: Debunking Jahannam: Why Islamic Hell Is Not Real

Your parrot. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #15 - July 20, 2014, 08:11 PM

I'm not in uni yet. The problem is that because I became an "orthodox Muslim" I left behind my science high school for slightly more than over a year, because of intermixing and other idiocy, and not all of my credits could be transferred. Now I'll complete the final year of the Irish curriculum + A-Levels to apply to uni. in the UK for Physics. Which is what I always wanted to do anyway before reverting to Islam... and now I decided to take a hold of my aspirations again and go and achieve it.  Smiley I conducted original Physics research before leaving school under Tallinn University of Technology and North Estonia Medical Center for biophysical interactions in the brain and different algorithm analyses for MRI.
    Then my clinical depression got worse and the end result was an orthodox form of Islam. Quite interesting, actually- I think I needed some sense of protection or care, which is what I got in the very beginning of reversion.

This is excellent to hear. I'm one year younger but am also going to study Physics (in London).

You need to tell me more about your research! It's sounds exciting.
     Reply #16 - July 20, 2014, 08:15 PM

I really ruined everything by leaving school mid-year and leaving so much unfinished... Cambridge admissions informed me that I should complete my final year and then A Levels. I was too old for UK, lol, but one college in Dublin accepted me because they liked my records and my research paper and wanted to support me with my A-Levels and my plans, that was very nice of them, although they did say that I am very old but they're making an exception, thankfully, because I really wanted to move and prepare for uni. The irony is that it's an all-women's college and I applied to it when I was sort-of breaking down already but was too afraid to apply to an intermixed college.  grin12 and Cambridge uni. has three women's colleges, who knew?
    Also, I really hope I don't sound like an ass. I feel like this radical change, although completely rational and reasonable, is making me kinda panicky and not very aware of what I am talking about. Oh well. Bear with me.  parrot
     Reply #17 - July 20, 2014, 08:19 PM

It's understandable, it really is. far away hug

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #18 - July 20, 2014, 08:21 PM

Take your time.

First step might be to use the term convert than revert.
     Reply #19 - July 20, 2014, 08:22 PM

This is excellent to hear. I'm one year younger but am also going to study Physics (in London).

You need to tell me more about your research! It's sounds exciting.

Thanks so much for taking interest in my research... Well, not that I really want people to be interested in my research, rather I want it to yield something useful and applicable in the end. But it is still great to talk about, I guess. My mother, who is a chemist, suggested that I should write an article about it with my supervisor as a co-author to get it published as soon as possible. She gave me a few journal names which are not that popular to begin with but they would be more likely to accept my paper as technically I am still a school student and not a researcher at uni. I feel so relieved to start actually doing it. It's like a breath of fresh air!! If you want you can PM me your email, and I'll send my research abstract to you! I would love to hear what are your specific interests in Physics as well!

Ok... alright I'll end the babble about Physics... it's not the crux of the matter after all... although it technically saved me from lifelong prison..
     Reply #20 - July 20, 2014, 08:28 PM

I applied to Cambridge (Trinity College) as well. I got accepted but in my case, the fees were too much for me (international student). I had to settle for my fifth choice in London since it was the cheapest.

Reply #21 - July 20, 2014, 08:29 PM

Welcome Psiecton. I would recommend having a read of this, if you haven't already: Debunking Jahannam: Why Islamic Hell Is Not Real

Your parrot. parrot

Thanks so much  far away hug reading it now. It's interesting to note that based on what I observed from some other threads, the fear of eternal hell seems to be the most deeply rooted irrational fear ex-muslims have... and to think how islam is always portrayed as having scientific miracles or whatnot...  Roll Eyes well the muslims really need to wake up, as they are truly deluding themselves thinking that science and islam can be compatible. And what's worse, they attribute the great achievements in Astronomy from the Arabs to Islam, although they were not considered muslims by the "scholars"  grin12
    Take Ibn Sina as well, for example, he was considered to be a disbeliever by Ibn Taymiyyah, if I remember it correctly.. So how they can even use it as an argument, I don't know anymore.
     Reply #22 - July 20, 2014, 08:30 PM

But anyway, welcome again. It's great to have you!
     Reply #23 - July 20, 2014, 08:34 PM

Thanks so much  far away hug reading it now. It's interesting to note that based on what I observed from some other threads, the fear of eternal hell seems to be the most deeply rooted irrational fear ex-muslims have... and to think how islam is always portrayed as having scientific miracles or whatnot...  Roll Eyes well the muslims really need to wake up, as they are truly deluding themselves thinking that science and islam can be compatible. And what's worse, they attribute the great achievements in Astronomy from the Arabs to Islam, although they were not considered muslims by the "scholars"  grin12
    Take Ibn Sina as well, for example, he was considered to be a disbeliever by Ibn Taymiyyah, if I remember it correctly.. So how they can even use it as an argument, I don't know anymore.

A bit like how sometimes apparently Saints were made up in the Early Catholic church out of the stories of Pagan people of character. It serves a political function especially as most won't/can't look up the facts.
     Reply #24 - July 20, 2014, 08:45 PM

All of this discomfort will get easier with time, acclimation, and practice. A girl's school is a nice way to transition out of gender segregation, you can concentrate easier on your studies and by the time you need to move on or transfer, you will be ready.
    I had major issues with the cognitive dissonance. You are not alone at all.
    Welcome! parrot

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #25 - July 20, 2014, 08:56 PM

Welcome!  parrot

I remember the first few days aftee I left Islam. I was a mess. Take it easy, one step at a time. Come here often. You'll be okay.

Since you're an ex-convert, I assume your parents are happy you've come to your senses, is that right?

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
     Reply #26 - July 21, 2014, 02:31 AM

I am a 19 year-old...

...although they did say that I am very old...

Cheesy What do they call 30 then?

Anyway welcome to the forum, and don't worry about Hell. Humans are more of a worry if you ask me. Afro

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #27 - July 21, 2014, 04:27 AM

Welcome to the forum, Psiecton. Reading your thread, I'm really thrilled that you never got married or your life would be so much more complicated. You are very young, and you are about to start a very exciting new chapter of your life abroad. Things with regards to your apostasy will start feeling normal soon, and with time you will laugh at yourself for ever fearing the concept of Hell.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #28 - July 21, 2014, 04:50 AM

I am proud to welcome a woman like you Smiley. Women talented in science are rare in my country. Here have a parrot, a rabbit and a pig for this- parrot bunny piggy.
     Reply #29 - July 21, 2014, 05:36 AM

A warm welcome from me too Psiecton, i enjoyed your posts.. Yes like somebody mentioned above, you have made a lucky escape with regards to islamic marriage, dont get married until you have fulfilled all of your dreams and goals in life (unless you find someone like minded to share them with : )   if i could rewind back time i would sooo loved to have studied Physics too..  : )  all the best with it and i hope you enjoy the UK !

X
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »