Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crashes carrying 100 top AIDS researchers

(Read 3319 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crashes carrying 100 top AIDS researchers
     OP - July 18, 2014, 06:50 PM

Besides the awful tragic loss of lives of all who died, this is an additional tragedy that happened with the Malaysia flight MH17 crash:

Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: Was the cure for Aids lost along with Joep Lange and 100 top researchers?

Lizzie Dearden,The Independent | Jul 18, 2014, 07.16 PM IST

Joep Lange, a world-renowned researcher and former president of the International AIDS Society, was with the group heading to the global AIDS 2014 conference in Melbourne, Australia.

The exact number of scientists he was travelling with has not been confirmed but delegates in Sydney were told that emails indicated around 100 attendees were on the ill-fated plane.

Nine British passengers, including a student, former BBC journalist and two Newcastle United fans, were among the 298 people killed when the Boeing 777-200 was reportedly shot down as it passed over the war-torn country on Thursday.

Trevor Stratton, a Canadian HIV researcher attending the conference told ABC researchers had been getting close to a vaccine against Aids.

"What if the cure for AIDS was on that plane? Really? We don't know," he said.

"There were some really prominent researchers that have been doing this for a very long time and we're getting close to vaccines and people are talking about cures and the end of AIDS.

"And you can't help but wonder what kind of expertise was on that plane."

Professor Richard Boyd, director of the Monash Immunology and Stem Cell Laboratories, told Guardian Australia there were "some serious HIV leaders" on board.

"This will have ramifications globally because whenever you lose a leader in any field, it has an impact. That knowledge is irreplaceable," he said.

"We've lost global leaders and also some bright young people who were coming through. It's a gut-wrenching loss. I was involved in the aftermath of 9/11 in New York and it brings back that level of catastrophe."

Clive Aspin, a HIV researcher in Australia ahead of the Aids conference said there was a "huge feeling of sadness" among delegates, with people crying in corridors.

He added: "These people were the best and the brightest, the ones who had dedicated their whole careers to fighting this terrible virus."

News of Lange's death sent ripples through the Aids community, who paid tribute to a "giant" in the field who made invaluable advances in affordable treatment for sufferers in Asia and Africa.

Scientists at the Kirby Institute at the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in Australia said Lange was travelling with his wife, Jacqueline.

Director of the institute, Professor David Cooper, said his friend had an "absolute commitment" to HIV treatment and care in Asia and Africa.

He added: "The joy in collaborating with Joep was that he would always bring a fresh view, a unique take on things, and he never accepted that something was impossible to achieve. Our joint work in Bangkok, the HIVNAT centre, will stand as his legacy."

Professors Cooper had worked with Lange on HIV treatment for decades and concentrated on "resource-poor" areas from the mid-1990s, attempting to prevent the disease taking hold in Asia the way it had in Africa.

In 1996 they established a research centre in Bangkok called HIV-NAT with a Thai colleague.

According to UNSW, Lange had worked in Aids research and treatment since 1983 and made "ground-breaking" contributions to the development of affordable treatments.

He also played a pioneering role in exploring affordable and simple antiretroviral drug regimens for the prevention of mother-to-child transmission.

At the time of his death, Professor Lange was Professor of Medicine at the Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam and senior scientific adviser to the International Antiviral Therapy Evaluation Centre, Amsterdam.

He was co-director of the HIV Netherlands Australia Research Collaboration (HIV-NAT) and a former president of International AIDS Society.

The group expressed its "sincere sadness" at news of the deaths of colleagues and friends on MH17, confirming they were on route to attend the 20th International AIDS Conference starting in Melbourne on Sunday.

"At this incredibly sad and sensitive time the IAS stands with our international family and sends condolences to the loved ones of those who have been lost to this tragedy," a statement said.

"The IAS has also heard reports that among the passengers was a former IAS President Joep Lange and if that is the case then the HIV/AIDS movement has truly lost a giant."

In 2001, he founded and chaired the PharmAccess Foundation, a not-for-profit organization based in Amsterdam, designed to improve access to therapy in developing countries and was a founding editor of the academic journal, Antiviral Therapy.

Glenn Thomas, a British media relations co-ordinator for the World Health Organisation, was also part of the delegation, according to WHO officials.

The 49-year-old was a former BBC journalist from Blackpool and had recently celebrated his birthday, according to The Times.

Nine Britons, 154 Dutch, 27 Australians, 38 Malaysians, 23 US citizens and 80 children were among those on board Boeing 777-200 from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

None of the 298 and crew survived the crash, near the town of Grabovo in eastern Ukraine, which has seen fierce fighting between separatist militias and government troops.

Both pro-Russian rebels and the Ukrainian government denied shooting the aircraft down after US authorities said intelligence analysis showed it had been hit by a surface-to-air missile.

source 1
    source 2 (in case source 1 is behind a paywall for you.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #1 - July 18, 2014, 07:46 PM

That is really horrible.  Cry
     Reply #2 - July 18, 2014, 07:49 PM

80 children on board too, including babies. I can't dwell on the news these days.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #3 - July 18, 2014, 07:56 PM

Besides the awful tragic loss of lives of all who died, this is an additional tragedy that happened with the Malaysia flight MH17 crash:

Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: Was the cure for Aids lost along with Joep Lange and 100 top researchers?

Lizzie Dearden,The Independent | Jul 18, 2014, 07.16 PM IST

Joep Lange, a world-renowned researcher and former president of the International AIDS Society, was with the group heading to the global AIDS 2014 conference in Melbourne, Australia.

The exact number of scientists he was travelling with has not been confirmed but delegates in Sydney were told that emails indicated around 100 attendees were on the ill-fated plane.

Nine British passengers, including a student, former BBC journalist and two Newcastle United fans, were among the 298 people killed when the Boeing 777-200 was reportedly shot down as it passed over the war-torn country on Thursday.

Trevor Stratton, a Canadian HIV researcher attending the conference told ABC researchers had been getting close to a vaccine against Aids.

"What if the cure for AIDS was on that plane? Really? We don't know," he said.

"There were some really prominent researchers that have been doing this for a very long time and we're getting close to vaccines and people are talking about cures and the end of AIDS.

"And you can't help but wonder what kind of expertise was on that plane."

Professor Richard Boyd, director of the Monash Immunology and Stem Cell Laboratories, told Guardian Australia there were "some serious HIV leaders" on board.

"This will have ramifications globally because whenever you lose a leader in any field, it has an impact. That knowledge is irreplaceable," he said.

"We've lost global leaders and also some bright young people who were coming through. It's a gut-wrenching loss. I was involved in the aftermath of 9/11 in New York and it brings back that level of catastrophe."

Clive Aspin, a HIV researcher in Australia ahead of the Aids conference said there was a "huge feeling of sadness" among delegates, with people crying in corridors.

He added: "These people were the best and the brightest, the ones who had dedicated their whole careers to fighting this terrible virus."

News of Lange's death sent ripples through the Aids community, who paid tribute to a "giant" in the field who made invaluable advances in affordable treatment for sufferers in Asia and Africa.

Scientists at the Kirby Institute at the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in Australia said Lange was travelling with his wife, Jacqueline.

Director of the institute, Professor David Cooper, said his friend had an "absolute commitment" to HIV treatment and care in Asia and Africa.

He added: "The joy in collaborating with Joep was that he would always bring a fresh view, a unique take on things, and he never accepted that something was impossible to achieve. Our joint work in Bangkok, the HIVNAT centre, will stand as his legacy."

Professors Cooper had worked with Lange on HIV treatment for decades and concentrated on "resource-poor" areas from the mid-1990s, attempting to prevent the disease taking hold in Asia the way it had in Africa.

In 1996 they established a research centre in Bangkok called HIV-NAT with a Thai colleague.

According to UNSW, Lange had worked in Aids research and treatment since 1983 and made "ground-breaking" contributions to the development of affordable treatments.

He also played a pioneering role in exploring affordable and simple antiretroviral drug regimens for the prevention of mother-to-child transmission.

At the time of his death, Professor Lange was Professor of Medicine at the Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam and senior scientific adviser to the International Antiviral Therapy Evaluation Centre, Amsterdam.

He was co-director of the HIV Netherlands Australia Research Collaboration (HIV-NAT) and a former president of International AIDS Society.

The group expressed its "sincere sadness" at news of the deaths of colleagues and friends on MH17, confirming they were on route to attend the 20th International AIDS Conference starting in Melbourne on Sunday.

"At this incredibly sad and sensitive time the IAS stands with our international family and sends condolences to the loved ones of those who have been lost to this tragedy," a statement said.

"The IAS has also heard reports that among the passengers was a former IAS President Joep Lange and if that is the case then the HIV/AIDS movement has truly lost a giant."

In 2001, he founded and chaired the PharmAccess Foundation, a not-for-profit organization based in Amsterdam, designed to improve access to therapy in developing countries and was a founding editor of the academic journal, Antiviral Therapy.

Glenn Thomas, a British media relations co-ordinator for the World Health Organisation, was also part of the delegation, according to WHO officials.

The 49-year-old was a former BBC journalist from Blackpool and had recently celebrated his birthday, according to The Times.

Nine Britons, 154 Dutch, 27 Australians, 38 Malaysians, 23 US citizens and 80 children were among those on board Boeing 777-200 from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

None of the 298 and crew survived the crash, near the town of Grabovo in eastern Ukraine, which has seen fierce fighting between separatist militias and government troops.

Both pro-Russian rebels and the Ukrainian government denied shooting the aircraft down after US authorities said intelligence analysis showed it had been hit by a surface-to-air missile.

source 1
    source 2 (in case source 1 is behind a paywall for you.

Now I am getting why with whatever work you do my lecturers have gone on and on and on about having good notebooks preferably in duplicate so that your work can continue. Such a sad day for the scientific community and for wider humanitarian and environmental work.
     Reply #4 - July 18, 2014, 08:06 PM

Such a major tragedy to lose those top scientists too..
     Reply #5 - July 18, 2014, 09:53 PM

Thought it was a tragic event, it's ridiculous to say the cure AIDS was lost. Such shoddy journalism.
     Reply #6 - July 18, 2014, 10:01 PM

Unless this/these scientists never followed any protocols by having his data on a database or even a piece of paper not on him at the time. Even I save my work on multiple systems; PC, notebook, Googledrive, USB drive.
     Reply #7 - July 18, 2014, 11:02 PM

It's a bit over the top as a headline, but OTOH the loss of so many good medical researchers is arguably more important than the loss of 278 random humans (regardless of their age or sex).

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #8 - July 18, 2014, 11:07 PM

I see crazy conspiration theories galore. To cover up for Gaza. To start a war with Russia to feed the military-industrial complex, to stop the fight against AIDS because it is obviously a Western plot to kill black people...

I cry when I think of the terror that must have gone through the minds of the poor people aboard Cry

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #9 - July 18, 2014, 11:09 PM

I see a common or garden fuck-up.

Reply #10 - July 18, 2014, 11:30 PM

Yeah not the best headline, but it is not just a matter 'did they make photocopies of their notes'. It's that all those collective years of education and research, plus the analytical abilities trained and refined by those years of education and research are now gone forever. While individual lives being snuffed out is always a tragedy, the deaths of researchers like these means further suffering and deaths of those people who could've benefited from their research as well.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #11 - July 18, 2014, 11:39 PM

It was a spectacular own goal for Russia and friends.

Reply #12 - July 19, 2014, 12:13 AM

I see crazy conspiration theories galore. To cover up for Gaza. To start a war with Russia to feed the military-industrial complex.............

Noo.. the first part could be true not the 2nd one., Russian religious  juice Zionist did that downing of passenger flight so every one will divert their attention to Russia/Ukraine/west problem forgetting the plight of Palestinians under Israeli international Zionists

Martyrs and Martyr DUMBS

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #13 - July 19, 2014, 12:15 AM

There are some very gory pictures of this at http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7fd_1405690143

errrgggh

Late Eid Mubarak, Where's my eidee present ?
     Reply #14 - July 19, 2014, 12:17 AM

There are some very gory pictures ..................

what do you expect when people get blasted from sky some 3km above...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #15 - July 19, 2014, 12:22 AM

Awesome. Seeing pictures of random body parts is so entertaining.

Reply #16 - July 19, 2014, 12:23 AM

There is a flight currently going through east Ukraine - ELB431 from Yekaterinberg to Corfu!
     Reply #17 - July 19, 2014, 02:11 AM

Thought it was a tragic event, it's ridiculous to say the cure AIDS was lost. Such shoddy journalism.

Yup.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #18 - July 19, 2014, 05:32 AM

I'm surprised the conference attendees were all booked on one flight. Some governments and big corporations limit the number of senior personnel travelling together in case the plane goes down or gets delayed.
     Reply #19 - July 28, 2014, 12:07 PM

Just been speaking to a 'more in the know' muslim about this one, turns out, would you believe, yet again, it was the 'JUICE' what done it.(major facepalm).

First 9/11, now this, what next? When will they put an end to this reign of terror? whistling2
     Reply #20 - July 28, 2014, 12:17 PM

Did you offer a counter argument?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #21 - July 28, 2014, 12:46 PM

At the risk of revealing myself as a complete shit, AIDS is not short of researchers or research money thanks to the bounty of Bill Gates and his client governments.

Less glamorous diseases on the other hand...
     Reply #22 - July 28, 2014, 01:00 PM

Yeah not the best headline, but it is not just a matter 'did they make photocopies of their notes'. It's that all those collective years of education and research, plus the analytical abilities trained and refined by those years of education and research are now gone forever. While individual lives being snuffed out is always a tragedy, the deaths of researchers like these means further suffering and deaths of those people who could've benefited from their research as well.

Yeah, there's a reason many scientists are really about this. It takes a special mind to understand the complexities of the research. Not just any one can pick up a set of notes and go 'got it'. They were also activists and pioneers and it just goes to show how the loss of one life can affect so many who would never have known that person.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2014/jul/24/hiv-aids-mh17-joep-lange

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #23 - July 28, 2014, 01:45 PM

Did you offer a counter argument?

Yep, I told them sometimes things simply are what they are, no need for conspiracy theories and then I tried to explain 'Russian pro separatists recent plane downing activities in the region but it fell on deaf ears. "Yeah but Israel is using this as a cover ...."
     Reply #24 - July 28, 2014, 02:48 PM

Now possible Mo A sock puppet 'Ann Fields' of Twitter notoriety is suggesting that Isis is actually Mossad backed??? I mean seriously wtf?  Cheesy
     Reply #25 - August 04, 2014, 09:23 AM

Hey just on the news here, but not on their website yet: apparently 19 African delegates to this AIDS conference are now applying for asylum in Australia. They're gay (or activists for gay rights) and are in fear of their lives if they are returned to Africa.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »