Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Malaysian airliner 'shot down' in Ukraine, 295 dead says news..

(Read 5351 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Malaysian airliner 'shot down' in Ukraine, 295 dead says news..
     OP - July 17, 2014, 05:16 PM

Malaysian airliner 'shot down' in Ukraine, 295 dead says news..

KIEV: A Malaysian airliner was shot down over eastern Ukraine by militants on Thursday, killing all 295 people aboard, a Ukrainian interior ministry official was quoted as saying by Interfax-Ukraine news agency.  The aircraft, which other sources said was a Boeing 777 flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, came down near the city of Donetsk, stronghold of pro-Russian rebels, Anton Gerashchenko said, adding that it was hit by a ground-to-air missile.

There was no further confirmation of the report, although Ukrainian officials said local residents had found wreckage. Malaysia Airlines said on its Twitter feed it had lost contact with its flight MH-17 from Amsterdam. “The last known position was over Ukrainian airspace,” it said.

Gerashchenko was quoted as saying: “A civilian airliner travelling from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur has just been shot down by a Buk anti-aircraft system ... 280 passengers and 15 crew have been killed.” Interfax-Ukraine quoted another Ukrainian official as saying the plane disappeared from radar when it was flying at 10,000 metres (33,000 feet), a typical cruising altitude for airliners.

It came down at Torez, near Shakhtersk, some 40 km (25 miles) from the Russia border. The area has been the scene of fighting between Ukrainian troops and pro-Russian rebels. Ukraine has accused Russia of taking an active role in the four-month-old conflict in recent days and accused it earlier on Thursday of shooting down a Ukrainian fighter jet - an accusation that Moscow denied.  Dozens of bodies were scattered around the smouldering wreckage of the passenger jet, a Reuters reporter said.

An emergency services rescue worker said at least 100 bodies had so far been found at the scene, near the village of Grabovo, and that debris from the wreckage was spread across an area up to about 15 km (nine miles) in diameter. Broken pieces of the wings were marked with blue and red paint - the same colours as the emblem of the Malaysian airline which lost track of a Boeing 777 en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

“I was working in the field on my tractor when I heard the sound of a plane and then a bang and shots. Then I saw the plane hit the ground and break in two. There was thick black smoke,” said a witness, who gave his name only as Vladimir. A separatist rebel from nearby Krasnyi Luch who gave his name only as Sergei said: “From my balcony I saw a plane begin to descend from a great height and then heard two explosion...

My goodness gracious.. this is deadly Often many European Airlines take that route..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #1 - July 17, 2014, 05:18 PM

Brilliant stuff! Ramp the pressure up even more whoever did this!
     Reply #2 - July 17, 2014, 05:21 PM

such awful news, wonder if it is related to the first air crash..
     Reply #3 - July 17, 2014, 05:24 PM

Brilliant stuff! Ramp the pressure up even more whoever did this!

bloody  thing here is This is  2nd plane that  Malaysian airlines lost ..that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370  from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing  is completely missing  from March 2014 from the face of the earth..  that had 12 Malaysian crew members and 227 passengers from 14 nations  ......People spend ~500 million dollars searching it..   http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26711298   that was in march ..now this..

Reply #4 - July 17, 2014, 05:26 PM

I've never heard of an airline being taken down from the ground before - as terrorist attack, is this the first ?
     Reply #5 - July 17, 2014, 05:37 PM

I've never heard of an airline being taken down from the ground before - as terrorist attack, is this the first ?

not recently but there are examples in the history Passenger fights taken down by those shoulder-fired missiles   http://www.ifri.org/files/shoulderfiredmissiles.pdf

Reply #6 - July 17, 2014, 05:42 PM

Well, the region is currently a battle ground between separatists and government forces. Hard to say who's responsible, separatists have shot down government's military planes before, but, this is a commercial flight and would require more sophisticated equipment to take down. 

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
     Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
     Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
     Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God." - Epicurus
     Reply #7 - July 17, 2014, 05:51 PM

..........but, this is a commercial flight and would require more sophisticated equipment to take down.  ..........

http://www.ifri.org/files/shoulderfiredmissiles.pdf

That costs lot of money many commercial don't have that SAM deflecting abilities..  They have to automatically detect  Surface to Air Missile and deflect it...

Reply #8 - July 17, 2014, 05:53 PM

theyre saying it was probably probably seperatists who made a mistake thinking it was another type of plane
     Reply #9 - July 17, 2014, 06:01 PM

Condolences to the families and loved ones of those on the flight.

The last data on MH17 from FlightRadar24.com placed it at 33,000 feet before all contact was lost. There were also other commercial flights in that same flight corridor. You need more than a MANPAD to hit something at that altitude, you need a proper vehicle-mounted SAM with radar guidance, stuff that only national militaries have. It could have been fired by the Ukraine military, by Russian armed forces or by pro-Russian separatists who got their hands on a SAM site.

Whoever did the shooting, it's escalated the tension in the area to boiling point. Any Ukrainian moves towards the separatists will be countered by Russia, which will then be countered by NATO. I hope it doesn't lead to full scale war in Ukraine or, deities forbid, a regional war.

If Russia did this, either directly or indirectly by arming the rebels, I don't think they'll be held accountable. The Soviet Union shot down a Korean airliner in 1983 and the US shot down an Iranian one in 1988 but neither have been sanctioned for those actions. Come to think of it, Ukraine also shot down a Russian commercial flight in 2001 but took a long time to admit it.
     Reply #10 - July 17, 2014, 06:14 PM

Goddammit, this makes my blood boil. Some rebel commander boasted about shooting down a Ukrainian cargo plane near where MH17 went down, then the posting disappeared once it was confirmed a passenger airliner had crashed. If Russia had anything to do with arming these dimwits, then the international community should come down hard on Putin and gang.
     Reply #11 - July 17, 2014, 07:32 PM

A Buk air-defence system is not some handheld rocket system. It is military equipment used by the ex-Soviet block.

Reply #12 - July 17, 2014, 07:37 PM

............If Russia had anything to do with arming these dimwits, then the international community should come down hard on Putin and gang............

That is not only Russian problem but AMRIKA problem also shaytanshoes .. AMRIKA gave lot of these highpowered long distance missile to so-called rebels in many Islamic countries .. This is  about those stinger missiles.. Lucky Pakistan.. so far it didn't happen but yesterday news says..

Laser beam focusing pilgrims’ plane creates scare

QUETTA: Several suspects were arrested from settlements around the Quetta International Airport on Wednesday after unknown people created scare by throwing laser light on an aeroplane carrying Shia pilgrims from the Iranian city of Mashhad the previous night.

Airport Security Personnel spotted a laser beam being focused on the Pakistan International Airline flight which later proceeded to Lahore. The plane was carrying pilgrims besides others coming from Iran.

Apprehending that it might be the handiwork of sectarian terrorists hiding in settlements around the airport, particularly along Samungli road, a joint team of the ASF, Frontier Corps and police raided different houses and places near the airport and arrested several suspects.

That is yesterday news..

these commercial flights are sitting duck for those Surface Air missiles..

Reply #13 - July 17, 2014, 07:59 PM

Mujaheddin in Afghanistan were given Stinger MANPADS which can't go beyond 3000 meters, IIRC. Those were used to shoot down low flying cargo planes and helicopters during the Soviet-Afghan war. There was a Fedex flight that was hit by one in Iraq when coming in to land but the crew managed to get the plane down safely. Even with the current troubles in Iraq and Afghanistan, airlines still fly above those countries because insurgents don't have the capability to hit aircraft above 10,000 meters.

All that was proven false in eastern Ukraine today when a BUK missile hit MH17 while it was flying at 11,000 meters. Bogart's got the right pic, insurgents usually don't get their hands on military hardware like that. They usually don't have the training to use that stuff too. Either the pro-Russian separatists were supplied with those air defence systems directly by Russia or they captured a Ukrainian system. Too bad those fucking morons couldn't tell the difference between a low-flying cargo plane and a commercial flight at cruise altitude.

If Russia tries to hide any evidence of wrongdoing by its separatist allies or tamper with the data recorders, there should be harsh sanctions slapped on Putin's gang of thugs.
     Reply #14 - July 18, 2014, 07:27 AM

Isn't it about time the info from black boxes was transferred live via satellite to centralised servers so could have all the info even if the plane ditched into the sea or into conflicted territories?
     Reply #15 - July 18, 2014, 12:54 PM

Australian family hit by both Malaysia Airlines tragedies says news

An Australian family has tragically been hit by both Malaysia Airlines tragedies, having now lost four members through flight MH370's disappearance and flight MH17 being shot down over Ukraine.

Irene and George Burrows, from Bileola, Queensland, were still mourning their son Rodney and his wife Mary after their plane vanished without a trace over the southern Indian Ocean in March, and will now have to grieve for their step-granddaughter Maree Rizk and her husband Albert who were aboard MH17.

Damn .. Son & His wife in one Malaysia flight and  Grand daughter & her husvand on another Malaysia flight tragedy...

Reply #16 - July 24, 2014, 11:58 AM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=763524347028091&set=vb.199098633470668&type=2&theater

Amazing!
     Reply #17 - July 24, 2014, 01:39 PM

Australian family hit by both Malaysia Airlines tragedies says news

Damn .. Son & His wife in one Malaysia flight and  Grand daughter & her husvand on another Malaysia flight tragedy...

Jesus Christ!

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #18 - July 24, 2014, 01:41 PM

Another flight down in Mali

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28460625

In places with an Islamist presence.
     Reply #19 - July 25, 2014, 04:22 AM

Ukraine Rebels to Hand Over Downed Plane’s Data Recorders to Malaysia, Its Prime Minister Says

After days of obstruction, Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine permitted Dutch forensics experts on Monday to search the wreckage of the downed Malaysia Airlines jetliner destroyed by a surface-to-air missile, allowed bodies of the victims to be evacuated by train and agreed to give the plane’s flight recorder boxes to the Malaysia government.
    Prime Minister Najib Razak of Malaysia, in a live broadcast early Tuesday in Kuala Lumpur, said his government had reached an agreement with the Ukrainian separatists to gain control of the bodies, which were to be sent to the Netherlands, and the so-called black boxes recovered from the crash site.
    Mr. Razak said the boxes were to be handed over to Malaysian representatives in Donetsk.

READ MORE »
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/22/world/europe/putin-calls-for-talks-in-ukraine-and-a-robust-crash-investigation.html?emc=edit_na_20140721

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #20 - July 25, 2014, 04:37 AM

Another flight down in Mali

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28460625

In places with an Islamist presence.

Gosh another one.. Apparently it happens in three's this being the third.. Think i will stick to the euro tunnel if i want to travel out of this country   :/
     Reply #21 - July 25, 2014, 04:44 AM

Or a different airline. So if it happens only twice, or more than three times (four, five, six, etc.) does that mean anything?

Reply #22 - July 25, 2014, 05:21 AM

I have no idea  : )  i've never seen 4 or 5 in a row myself, probably has been ?

x   
     Reply #23 - July 25, 2014, 05:55 AM

You brought to memory someone I knew when I was a child, often claimed that something happens in threes. And no matter how many times it only happened once, or twice, or four times, or five, would always still insist that it "always happens in threes". Never could figure out why the fact that wasn't the case never seemed to register. Sorry, just remembered this person and had the urge to ask you.

Reply #24 - July 25, 2014, 07:13 AM

Ha ha yeah, it's just what i hear people say all the time..  actually we had 3 train crashes i think last year, we were counting lol but perhaps they were the only 3 that were put on the news  : )

Reply #25 - July 30, 2014, 08:17 AM

MH17 crash 'punishment' for Malaysia Airlines offering alcohol, flight attendants' dress code SAYS AN IDIOT  from Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party

Kuala Lumpur: The youth leader of a Malaysian opposition party has claimed the MH17 tragedy was God punishing Malaysia Airlines for serving alcohol on its flights and its “indecent” dress code.

Ahmad Tarmizi Sulaiman, the youth information chief of the opposition Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS), said the serving of alcohol, which is prohibited under Islam, and the dress code of Malaysia Airlines flight attendants' “cross the boundaries of Islam.”

But as predominantly Malaysia mourns the loss of its second Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 in months, other politicians condemned the remarks as the country’s 222 MPs put aside their political differences while prime minister Najib Razak moved a condolence motion in an emergency session of Parliament.

Mr Tarmizi was quoted in Malaysia’s media as saying majority state-owned Malaysia Airlines was ignoring the tenets of Islam.

“If the government wishes to introspect and to garner the blessings of Allah, what is wrong in conducting a study on the percentage of passengers who would not fly MAS if alcohol is not served and its flight attendants observe Muslim dress code?,” he said.

and that is what  the fool  looks like.. That is what Islam does to IDIOTS in different part of the globe.. MAKE PAN-ISLAMIC POLITICAL PARTIES...

Reply #26 - July 30, 2014, 08:42 AM

Oh FFS. What a twat. Roll Eyes

Incidentally, the coverage of this crash over in Australia has been interesting. For a start we've had various wankers (including our illustrious PM) describing the incident as variously an "act of terrorism" and/or "act of evil" and/or "crime against humanity" and vowing to "bring the perpetrators to justice". Nobody has come out and said what appears to be the sanest and most obvious reading of the available evidence: that it was just a fuckup, as happens in war zones sometimes.

It's pretty clear that none of the parties in the current conflict in eastern Ukraine had anything to gain from shooting down MH17. Some who are on the side of the separatists/Russia (much the same thing) have tried to claim that the plane was shot down by the Ukrainian military in an attempt to make the separatists look bad. That's possible, but highly unlikely, since even if the Ukrainian military was that devious they would know there was a high probability of them being busted (the sky over that area is crawling with spy satellites). The Russians and their friends had even less to gain. As soon as I heard about this incident I figured that what had happened was that some over enthusiastic and under-trained separatists had managed to get hold of a SAM battery, either seized from Ukraine or supplied directly from Russia, and had fired at what they thought was a Ukrainian military plane. IOW, no malice towards non-combatants at all. Just an honest (if stupid) mistake. Nothing that has come out since then contradicts this interpretation. It's really not something that deserves to be tried as terrorism or whatever. It's more like manslaughter.

The other thing is the reaction of the local people in the area, who saw the bodies and debris coming down all around them. They appear to have been quite traumatised by the incident, and feel genuinely sorry for the victims. They also appear to somehow identify with them, in that they were innocent people who just happened to be caught up in someone else's war, which is how many of the locals feel too (over a thousand of the locals have been killed in the last few months).

There's a video interview with some of the locals here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-29/ukrainian-villagers-recall-horror-of-mh17-debris/5633378

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #27 - July 30, 2014, 08:55 AM

Oh FFS. What a twat. Roll Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prYJM6SBz24

well that rascal is in that party for watching Malaysian Muslim women like this lady..

Reply #28 - July 30, 2014, 08:57 AM

Ugh. This is fucking stupid. "This" being our foreign minister, who is currently in the Ukraine and trying to act tough.

So for those who weren't aware (ie: most of the world) some Australian Federal Police guys were sent to Ukraine the other day. The idea was that they and some Dutch guys would do a purely humanitarian mission, totally unarmed, to pick up the rest of the bodies (and bits) from the crash site. This was agreed with both the Ukrainian government and the separatists, and there was supposed to be a ceasefire in the area while this was done.

Since then, the place has been a war zone. Funny, that. Anyone might think there was a war on. So, instead of just saying "Shit happens" and waiting for things to improve, our foreign minister has been trying to get the Ukraine parliament to authorise arming the AFP guys when they go into the crash area.

Indeed, the AFP's Ukrainian hosts stand in breach of a cardinal provision of SC/2166, "that all military activities, including by armed groups, be immediately ceased in the immediate area surrounding the crash site to allow for security and safety of the international investigation".

This puts Bishop, now back in Kiev, and Australia in an awkward situation. Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko has every right to feel put upon by Australia's SC/2166: though welcome when it comes to the rebels, it's an obvious burden when it curtails the army's ability to suppress a rebellion on national territory. Certainly, it's a concession of sovereign rights it's hard to imagine any Australian government being prepared to make.

To fix the situation but in reality probably making it worse, Bishop wants Ukraine's parliament (which has not yet approved the Dutch-Australian mission) to approve the arming of the policemen Australia has deployed on its territory.

Yet the only thing worse than having unarmed personnel deployed in this particular warzone on the other side of the world is armed ones.

There are two simple reasons.

First, the Netherlands is a NATO country. Second, Australia is an American treaty ally.

Bishop will have to be very confident that both the Kremlin and the rebels will distinguish the inoffensive purposes of armed Australian personnel as clearly as we do.

That can't be taken for granted.

Sending them in armed would be totally retarded and irresponsible. The idea is to retrieve bodies, not to create more bodies. If they are not armed there's a far greater chance of them getting out alive, since that way both sides are more likely to recognise them as genuine non-combatants. Things are tricky enough over there as it is, without sending in armed representatives of foreign powers who aren't involved and don't really give a fuck. No way would that make the locals happy.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »