Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: New here

(Read 3012 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • New here
     OP - July 10, 2014, 06:12 AM

Hello all,
    I’ve visited this forum very often for the past years but never really dared to join in as I never thought I had much to offer to the majority of its members. Although I am technically a Christian apostate, I’ve never even gone remotely trough what many in this forum have.
    I live in a majority Catholic country that underwent a fascist dictatorship for decades following a bloody civil war. When the dictator died many young people (my parents’ generation) where so fed up with both the fascist and religious doctrine, that the broke up with everything that meant strict rules, authoritarianism, etc. I grew up during the transition time with a feeling of insecurity, like you had to be careful with what you said and who you talked to (I was 7 years old when there was a failed coup), especially with the so called civil guard (a branch of the army).
    My grandparents were very religious and because of their pushing I got baptised at three months old, against my parents’ wishes. However, my parents never talked to me about god o religion. And so, my grandmother decided that it was her duty to bring me to god, and at the age of 6 she took me to mass a couple of times. I remember hating it. And then she taught me how to do the night prayers (kneel down by the bed, put the palms of the hands together and ask god to protect your loved ones). I couldn’t do it more than once, because I didn’t believe there was anyone listening.
    Some years later, when it was time to take the communion, I decided I wouldn’t go through. I didn’t even know what an agnostic was; I would learn both the word and its meaning some years later.
    I knew about Islam because it is part of the history of my country, but always saw it as another religion. It wasn’t until 9/11 and hearing the perpetrators quote verses of the Koran as an excuse to attack other people, that I became interested in it and decided to learn more about it. At that time, the only information available was far right extremists, both muslims and non- muslims (cough-BNP, cough-Anjem Choudary) and that didn’t help at all. Nor did the following terrorist attacks in Europe and other places.
    Fortunatelly I came across other people, like Maryam Namazie, Maajid Nawaz and other memebers of the Quilliam Foundation, Irshad Manji, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Nazir Afzal, just to name a few. Although I don’t agree 100% with all that they say, I am confident that there are people out there calling it like it is and confronting the islamist spiel.

Yeah, I think I might have written too much...  whistling2
  • New here
     Reply #1 - July 10, 2014, 06:16 AM

You wrote, I would hope, what you are comfortable sharing. Have a parrot. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • New here
     Reply #2 - July 10, 2014, 06:34 AM

Thank for the parrot.

Yeah, I'm just concerned the post might be too long and boring to read.
  • New here
     Reply #3 - July 10, 2014, 06:40 AM

Don't worry about it. If someone wants to read it it's there to read, if they don't, no one is forcing them. My intro is longer than yours anyway. Grin

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • New here
     Reply #4 - July 10, 2014, 09:47 AM

Welcome Ava  parrot

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
     Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
     Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
     Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God." - Epicurus
  • New here
     Reply #5 - July 10, 2014, 11:14 AM

Welcome, Ava!  parrot

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
  • New here
     Reply #6 - July 10, 2014, 11:53 AM

Not boring at all, Ava - it was very interesting to hear your perspective.

I'm also going to take a wild guess and say you're from Spain? lol Wink

Welcome Smiley
  • New here
     Reply #7 - July 10, 2014, 12:14 PM

I'm having trouble guessing which country you are from, Ava. It's a real head-scratcher.
  • New here
     Reply #8 - July 10, 2014, 12:23 PM

Hi Ava welcome to the forum  Smiley

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• New here
     Reply #9 - July 10, 2014, 02:30 PM

@Hassan + @David

What could possibly give me away?  whistling2

Now that it's out, I've always wanted to say that I'm fed up of muslims' faces lighting up whenever they hear me  say I'm from Spain, they all go Al-Andalus mode. Specially because my mum's maiden name has arab roots.

• New here
     Reply #10 - July 10, 2014, 05:46 PM

Lol. Muslims, especially Arabs, are so proud of Al-Andalus. "Finally, something good that we did. Oh, look at the influence we've had on the culture, the buildings, blablabla."

I used to be like that, too. Heck, my "knee-jerk feelings" are still like that. This is the first time I've thought about the subject since my apostasy.

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
  • New here
     Reply #11 - July 10, 2014, 10:02 PM

Hi Ava!

Muslims all around the world latch on to the achievements of Al-Andalus Spain as the Islamic Golden Age, but they forget its failings. They also forget they weren't there Smiley That's all history now.

It's like being a football fan... I might be a rabid fan of Liverpool, always wearing the team colours and defending their every move, despite living on a mountain in Tibet and never having set foot in England.
  • New here
     Reply #12 - July 11, 2014, 12:53 AM

Muslims all around the world latch on to the achievements of Al-Andalus Spain

A model caliphate is Al-Andalus, with high-speed trains and social security.
  • New here
     Reply #13 - July 11, 2014, 01:38 AM

Hi! parrot

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • New here
     Reply #14 - July 11, 2014, 11:43 PM

welcome !!  parrot

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke."
  • New here
     Reply #15 - July 12, 2014, 03:08 AM

welcome!

Oh my Christopher Hitchens its a fihrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »