Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 12:02 PM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hello all :)

(Read 4237 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hello all :)
     OP - July 08, 2014, 06:25 PM

Hi everyone. I have read a few introduction posts here and there, and I can definitely see the support system in place here. I am happy to have joined a forum that allows me to be myself and express who I am without fear or judgement.
    I was raised in a very strict, culturally and religiously, Middle Eastern household in America. You can already see the cultural divide there. I cant remember how young I was when I put on the hijab (7?) and I still wear it to this day. My parents do not know that I am no longer Muslim, and I live in a community with a large Muslim and Arab population and I do not want to ostracize myself from my community or family by removing the hijab.
    I consider myself atheist, as much as dislike that word and any other label. But I mentally left Islam in my teenage years and practically in my early twenties (I am 25 now). A lot of things in the Quran did not make sense, and when I would question things the answer I would most often receive was along the lines of "because god says so."
    As a woman, I am offended by a lot of things in Quran. For example, "beating" your wife is she is not compliant (I don't care how you justify that, domestic violence is never justifiable), the concept of concubines, the "72 virgins in heaven," a woman's court opinion counting as half of that of a man, etc.
    There is no doubt that there is beauty and good in every religion, and I believe that was the intention when social reforms such as Muhammed decided to speak up against the injustice inflicted in their society. But I feel like common sense and logic are more practical for me than believing in an invisible god. I believe the idea of "god" came during a time of darkness when humans had no answers to many ailing questions.
    Currently, I am in school working on a doctorate degree (we are on summer break though). I work full time which keeps my mind busy and distracted. I am planning on relocating to another part of the US once I graduate to a start a new life away from the prison that I feel I am in now.
    I'm not sure what to add to this, but please feel free to ask Smiley

"...after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." Buddha
     Reply #1 - July 08, 2014, 06:26 PM

Hi welcome, great to have you here friend  Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #2 - July 08, 2014, 06:37 PM

Welcome!
     Reply #3 - July 08, 2014, 07:06 PM

Welcome!  Smiley

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #4 - July 08, 2014, 07:07 PM

thnkyu

"...after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." Buddha
     Reply #5 - July 08, 2014, 07:16 PM

Welcome, Ahlam!  parrot

You have a beautiful name! (Which means dreams but you probably already knew that. )

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
     Reply #6 - July 08, 2014, 07:20 PM

Welcome parrot.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
     Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
     Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
     Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God." - Epicurus
     Reply #7 - July 08, 2014, 07:28 PM

Welcome, ahlam.1  Smiley  I confirm, you will get much support here  yes lovely people Smiley
     Reply #8 - July 08, 2014, 07:41 PM

Thank you all Smiley and yes trustworthy, thanks Smiley

Reply #9 - July 08, 2014, 08:13 PM

Welcome ahlam  parrot , Everyone's great here:)

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke."
     Reply #10 - July 08, 2014, 11:01 PM

Welcome, Ahlam - yes it's a lovely name  Afro
     Reply #11 - July 08, 2014, 11:26 PM

Helloooooo dance
     Reply #12 - July 08, 2014, 11:53 PM

hey there ahlam! Glad you joined grin12

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #13 - July 09, 2014, 12:02 AM

Hi, thanks all!

Reply #14 - July 09, 2014, 12:04 AM

So I noticed that the different classifications under peoples name, eg pub regular, ex-muslim, member. I'm wondering if that is something I can change in my settings or something that will change automatically based on the time spent here (?).

Reply #15 - July 09, 2014, 12:11 AM

When I first signed up, i accidentally selected the "member" option to the "ex-muslim" one but it doesn't change anything. I've only been here a few days but I think the titles under the names change as you spend more time here/contribute to forums etc. Not sure, correct me if I'm wrong someone!

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke."
     Reply #16 - July 09, 2014, 12:17 AM

We have special software that picks up on words in a members post and detects what you are and changes your classification appropriately. The more you post the more accurate the classification.

Reply #17 - July 09, 2014, 12:19 AM

interesting,, how does it detect what we are?

Reply #18 - July 09, 2014, 12:27 AM

There are certain trigger words and it builds up a profile over time.

Apparently I'm classed as: "Handsome genius" - but modesty caused me to have it removed.
     Reply #19 - July 09, 2014, 12:29 AM

Haha okay thats awesome! I do plan to visit often and read and post. I think I found my more understanding family lol

Reply #20 - July 09, 2014, 12:37 AM

Haha okay thats awesome! I do plan to visit often and read and post. I think I found my more understanding family lol

yes you have Smiley

Reply #21 - July 09, 2014, 03:44 AM

Welcome. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #22 - July 10, 2014, 12:21 AM

Welcome  parrot
     Reply #23 - July 10, 2014, 01:20 AM

Hello and welcome! I am so glad you are working on your doctorate, what a great way to start a career, with such a degree!
    I am in the US, too! I already did the relocation thing, to a smaller town in farm country. The people are very nice, and it is definitely more convenient than city living, except for the lack of culture.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »