Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The Prophet's household

(Read 1992 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • The Prophet's household
     OP - July 06, 2014, 03:35 PM

I came across this book on a shia website and It was an interesting read. It gave an insight into the daily lives of the Prophet's wives.

http://www.al-islam.org/khadijatul-kubra-sayyid-ali-asghar-razwy/chapter-17-khadija-and-her-co-wives

Naturally It's extremely biased against Aisha and Hafsa. But I did find the mentioned incidents on another website. This is about the Prophets son with Maria:

Soon the good news spread through Madina that the Prophet of God was expecting a child from the Egyptian Maria.  Why should this stranger bear a child whilst she had been but a year in Madina, when some of them had been in the house of the Prophet for many years without bearing a child? Why should God favour her with this great blessing while the Mothers of the Faithful, among them the daughters of Abu Bakr and ‘Umar, bint Zad al-Rakab and the grand daughter of Abu Talib, were denied this favour? They were consumed with jealousy, not knowing what to do or say, and a whisper spread accusing Maria of the same thing which was charged against ‘A’isha. But ‘A’isha was justified by Heaven. Would then Maria aspire to justification by Heaven too? God did not forsake her in her predicament, but gave her a decisive proof against the false accusations… One day he carried the child in his arms to ‘A’isha and asked her tenderly to see what signs of the father appeared in this infant. She was about to cry, but held back her tears, saying, "I see no similarity between you and him." Instantly he perceived her torment and left with the boy, feeling pity for her… (Bint al-Shati', The Wives of the Prophet, Translated from Arabic with introduction by Matti Moosa in collaboration with D. Nicholas Ranson [Gorgias Press, First Gorgias Press Edition 2006], pp. 210, 212; bold and underline emphasis ours)

And again (this is a little messed up):

Muhammad ibn ‘Abd Allah al-Zuhri related the following from Anas ibn Malik, who said that Maria, the bonds-woman of the Prophet, was in her quarters and a Coptic man used to bring her water and firewood. When the people saw this, they said knowingly, "A foreigner goes to see a foreigner." The Prophet heard this and sent our Lord ‘Ali ibn Abu-Talib there, who saw the Copt resting in a palm tree. When our Lord ‘Ali pulled his sword the man was frightened and threw off his robe in fright to reveal his nakedness; and ‘Ali saw that his member was cut off. ‘Ali returned to the Prophet and related what he saw. Then Gabriel, the entrusted Angel of Revelation, followed and said, "Peace be unto you, O Father of Ibrahim." When the Prophet heard this greeting, his mind became at peace.

The Prophet, anxious for Maria, removed her to al-‘Alia’ in the suburbs of Madina, for her safety and comfort and to take care of her health and her burden. ‘A’ishah said, "I have never felt so jealous of a woman as I did of Maria, because she was beautiful with curled hair. The Prophet admired her and accommodated her at the beginning in the house of Harith ibn al-Nu‘man and she became our neighbour. He was with her most of the day and night. She became unhappy, so he moved her to al-‘Alia’, but he saw her continuously there which became EVEN HARDER for us to bear. Then God blessed him with a son from her while denying us this blessing." (Ibid., pp. 210-211; bold, capital and underline emphasis ours)

Has anyone ever heard of these incidents before? I knew all his wives especially Aisha were very jealous but this is the first time I've come across this account of it.

Also this link  http://www.answering-islam.org/Responses/Osama/zawadi_mhd_wives_challenge2.htm

certainly asks interesting questions about his treatment of his wives. Some that I had personally never thought of. Especially here:
    Muhammad failed to adequately provide the material needs of his wives, forcing them to live in less than ideal conditions even though he had amassed a ton of wealth:

'A'isha reported: We the family of Muhammad (may peace be upon him) used to spend (the whole) month in which we (did not need to) kindle the fire as (we had nothing to cook); we had only dates and water (to fill our bellies). (Sahih Muslim, Book 042, Number 7089)

'A'isha reported that Allah's Messenger (way peace be upon him) died (in such a state) that there had been nothing in my wooden tub which a living being could afford to eat but a handful of barley therein. I had been eating out of that for a fairly long duration when I thought of measuring it and it was almost finished. (Sahih Muslim, Book 042, Number 7091)

I mean it is true isn't it. He seems kinda reluctant to support his wives financially.  This hadith used to disturb me greatly.

Jabir b. 'Abdullah (Allah be pleased with them) reported: Abu Bakr (Allah be pleased with him) came and sought permission to see Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him). He found people sitting at his door and none amongst them had been granted permission, but it was granted to Abu Bakr and he went in. Then came 'Umar and he sought permission and it was granted to him, and he found Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) sitting sad and silent with his wives around him. He (Hadrat 'Umar) said: I would say something which would make the Holy Prophet (may peace be upon him) laugh, so he said: Messenger of Allah, I wish you had seen (the treatment meted out to) the daughter ofKhadija when you asked me some money, and I got up and slapped her on her neck. Allah's Messenger (mav peace be upon him) laughed and said: They are around me as you see, asking for extra money. Abu Bakr (Allah be pleased with him) then got up went to 'A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) and slapped her on the neck, and 'Umar stood up before Hafsa and slapped her saying: You ask Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) which he does not possess. They said: By Allah, we do not ask Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) for anything he does not possess. Then he withdrew from them for a month or for twenty-nine days.

But isn't that why Islam says that Men have a degree of advantage over women due to their financial contribution? It's not like the prophet was poor. He collected war booty, was the leader of one of the most powerful groups. I don't see why his family needed to live in such a deprived state.

Also his household doesn't exactly seem to be a sanctuary of love and happiness. It seems rather hellish with each women trying to protect their turf and woo him the longest.

I am sorry if this is a bit disjointed. It's just that I had never heard of these things as a Muslim before and wanted to check if any one here had more knowledge.
  • The Prophet's household
     Reply #1 - July 06, 2014, 03:40 PM

I came across this book on a shia website and It was an interesting read. It gave an insight into the daily lives of the Prophet's wives.

http://www.al-islam.org/khadijatul-kubra-sayyid-ali-asghar-razwy/chapter-17-khadija-and-her-co-wives

Naturally It's extremely biased against Aisha and Hafsa. But I did find the mentioned incidents on another website. This is about the Prophets son with Maria:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_BTRdxEJaE

hello YinYang ., welcome to CEMB and watch that tube which  is in English...   Very few people know who Muhammad was., Muhmmad of Quran, Muhammad of hadith ., Muhammad of Quran before migration to Yatrib and Muhammad after going to that Madina..

There are so many Muhammads in Islam...  anyways .. fools are everywhere and in every faith So that tube is says Prophet of Islam was killed by his wives..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »