Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hi from Toronto!

(Read 4006 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hi from Toronto!
     OP - July 06, 2014, 03:51 AM

Hi everyone! I suppose introductions are in order? I'm a Pakistani (ethnically, but I grew up in Saudi Arabia, and pretty much everyone I knew was from Britain/Ireland), living in Toronto, ON, Canada. So I wouldn't quite call myself an ex-Muslim just yet, but I've reached the point where I'm really skeptical about basically anything and everything the Quran and Muhammad say. It's been building over a few years, but I've slowly been coming out of the shell I grew up in (my parents raised me fairly conservative).

I used to pray most of the time, I would fast... all the ritualistic aspects of the religion basically. Anyway, it started a few months ago when I was doing research, and I came across Quran-only Islam, which I thought was a step up. So I rejected all the sayings and traditions of Muhammad. But then I started reading the Quran and found that I didn't agree with a lot of the content. For example, verse 65:4 tacitly endorses paedophilia. Not to mention that the Quran is mostly incoherent and indecipherable on its own. But what really did it for me was the fact that much of the "science" it espouses was what the Greeks had come up with hundreds of years before it, which pretty much nullified any claims to divinity for me.....

Anyway, I can't tell my parents obviously (they live in Pakistan), and I don't have many friends who are aware of Islam anyway. I was just looking for a forum to discuss my views and... Voila! Tongue. Let me know if anyone is up for a discussion about... well... anything about Islam. Cheers!
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #1 - July 06, 2014, 03:55 AM

Welcome. Have a parrot. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #2 - July 06, 2014, 11:23 AM

Hello fellow Canadian! I would give you a moose but the folks around here think parrots are better.

You will find not just Greek knowledge but common themes from Egyptians, Babylonians, Sumerians, etc as well.
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #3 - July 06, 2014, 12:01 PM

Do not listen to the bogart. The bogart is a jinn. He will try to convince you that moose is better than parrot, canuck better than Brit. Do not be deceived by his lies.

Wolverine's cool though.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #4 - July 06, 2014, 12:05 PM

Welcome, lotofkamino!  parrot
    You will find a lot of threads about the subjects you mentioned.

How old are you?

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #5 - July 06, 2014, 12:37 PM

bogart does not have a special claim to moose. I protest. I would hand you a bear or a wolf, but sadly..
     parrot

welcome!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #6 - July 06, 2014, 05:42 PM

I shall take the parrots  parrot Cheesy. I'm 24, and yeah, I fully intend to scour the forums here... maybe even start a convo or two of my own Cheesy
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #7 - July 06, 2014, 06:06 PM

Welcome  parrot

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
     Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
     Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
     Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God." - Epicurus
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #8 - July 06, 2014, 08:03 PM

Welcome lotofkamino!   Greetings

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke."
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #9 - January 10, 2015, 11:20 PM

So I came out... Got disowned Cry
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #10 - January 10, 2015, 11:23 PM

Ouch!

How are things? Are you coping?
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #11 - January 10, 2015, 11:24 PM

I am really sorry. Please let us know how you are.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #12 - January 10, 2015, 11:31 PM

How did it happen? And how are you dealing with this? So sorry to hear  far away hug

You are the Universe, Expressing itself as a Human for a little while- Eckhart Tolle
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #13 - January 10, 2015, 11:32 PM

Welcome  parrot

Sorry to hear that. I hope it will get better soon. Give your parents some time.
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #14 - January 10, 2015, 11:35 PM

Sorry about that sweety ... please keep us up to date. Love to you from your online family.  far away hug XXX
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #15 - January 10, 2015, 11:46 PM

Welcome  parrot

Sorry to hear that. I hope it will get better soon. Give your parents some time.

Sorry my mistake. I didn't look at the date of your first post and taught you were new here.
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #16 - January 11, 2015, 02:17 AM

Thanks for the support guys! And yeah, I'm managing okay so far... I was expecting it. I just wasn't expecting it to happen so soon... things just tumbled out of control once the conversation got a bit emotional. Oh well... I'm going to try to let the dust settle for a few days (weeks?) before I try to talk to them again.... I'll definitely make sure to keep you guys up to date. Thanks a lot again  Smiley

thnkyu   parrot
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #17 - January 11, 2015, 02:18 AM

And the conversation was over the phone, so prob less intense than in person.... Although in the end my dad sent me an email telling me to eff off :S
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #18 - January 11, 2015, 02:19 AM

Good to hear you're holding up.  Afro

You are the Universe, Expressing itself as a Human for a little while- Eckhart Tolle
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #19 - January 11, 2015, 02:20 AM

I'm going to try to let the dust settle for a few days (weeks?) before I try to talk to them again....

Weeks would be better than days.

Give them time to reflect on losing you.
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #20 - January 11, 2015, 02:21 AM

Yeah, there's probably no pleasant way of coming out to your parents. Let things cool off for a while, and then try talking to them again. They have to process what has happened, and in the end I'm sure they still love you, and only wish you the best.  Smiley

• Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #21 - January 11, 2015, 02:27 AM

Weeks would be better than days.

Give them time to reflect on losing you.

*fingers crossed*
  • Hi from Toronto!
     Reply #22 - January 11, 2015, 02:28 AM

Yeah, there's probably no pleasant way of coming out to your parents. Let things cool off for a while, and then try talking to them again. They have to process what has happened, and in the end I'm sure they still love you, and only wish you the best.  Smiley

Meant to say fingers crossed to that haha
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »