Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 11, 2024, 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Second guessing

(Read 3594 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Second guessing
     OP - July 05, 2014, 09:47 PM

Hi everyone, I joined CEMB today after reading from these forums while doing research on islam for a while and it's been brought to my attention that maybe it's true that I have only been picking out bad verses from the Quran. I have seen good ones (even though some were immediately followed by negative contradictions) so I feel almost guilty for nitpicking. I mentioned on another post that I quite discreetly expressed this to my brother who told me that I should read everything properly (which I am currently doing anyway) and that it's bad that I'm focusing on the negative. I won't confide in him again about this but it has made me think... What if I am? questions2

But at the same time, shouldn't holy books be good throughout? I can give the benefit of the doubt at some points especially where context is crucial and I've even documented good and bad verses as I read the english translation of the quran. It's almost balanced though the bad often outweighs the good. But I can't help thinking that I'm wrong. Am I being influenced by everyone else to believe that the Quran often teaches or states terrible things or are these my own personal views? A lot of the times they are my personal views, I just think right now I'm going through a patch of uncertainty. Sorry for the long rant, I think I just want advice or suggestions on what to do from anyone in the same boat.
    thank you Smiley

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke."
  • Second guessing
     Reply #1 - July 05, 2014, 10:06 PM

welcome  parrot and your doing nothing wrong by nitpicking its what I did what is the point of reading the good parts your not trying to prove tht islam is good ur trying to find out what bad it says if u read all the good parts u will be stuck forever lol all islam is is a bunch of different myths expanded and u will find no benefit reading through it all to find out whether its right or wrong carry on your doing good look at non muslim sites don't be biased and look at muslim sites most verses are ambiguous so muslim scholars will pick the best 1
  • Second guessing
     Reply #2 - July 05, 2014, 10:19 PM

All islam needs to be incorrect is 1 error a simple error in quran is the claim tht earth is flat which is 100% wrong if god duznt even no da shape of his earth then I seriously doubt he knows anything lol and besides quran as god exists is even present in heaven and if its the same as this then he seriously wasted his time and if its not this book is corrupt which contradicts what he says also he says things like I'm merciful and also says I'm gona burn every1 tht don't believe me forever which is not merciful seeing as he put a million religions in the worlds and expects us to choose islam which has no evidence also things like embryo which is wrong and also the scientific miracles muslim scholars boast about either r things knn at the time and wuz quotes by famous ppl I.e aristotle etc... Or its simply an ambiguous verse I.e can mean a 100 different tings and scholars pick the best 1 also things like islam being same as christianity and christianity along with majority of the religions having same stories as egyptian myths I.e story of jesus which is the same as the story of horus guy with da 1 eye story of horus= born of a virgin born in december 25 met by 3 kings or sum shit like tht has an evil enemy set which in christianity and islam is satan its all jus copies of other sources sorry for da long text btw tht is less than 20% of the errors found lol
  • Second guessing
     Reply #3 - July 05, 2014, 10:23 PM

thank you so much:) I'm currently looking at non-muslim (mostly ex-muslim) sites as well as muslims sites to make sure I know what both sides think. There is a tendency for apologists to assume everything is a "metaphor" and that islam promotes only good things (I've only seen a few TRULY good verses in the quran as opposed to the many horrific ones). There is usually never any textual support in them either and they pick the same 1 or 2 verses. Not being biased is the trick! thank you again  parrot

(while i typed this you posted another reply,) ----
    I've also seen those errors! As well as the sperm coming from between the backbone and the ribs??? No mention of the female egg which is just as crucial. No reference to other places in the world. Menstruation being an illness caught me out. I don't even know what to think about "the splitting of the moon". It's too vague. Surely an all-knowing God would know that in the future many people would have doubts. Am I going to hell for being curious and asking questions about the world? Opening my mind? Because if so, so be it.  Tongue

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke."
  • Second guessing
     Reply #4 - July 05, 2014, 10:26 PM

Personally I don't lisen to any scholars I no all they do is promote their religion never ever do tht if u do u will end up where u started they always make it sound right even by using taqiyyah I.e lieing
  • Second guessing
     Reply #5 - July 05, 2014, 10:29 PM

yes im aware of many sugar coating the sayings of islam and coming up with excuses. it's also one of the reasons why i started searching for the truth. everyone seems to be saying something different.

• Second guessing
     Reply #6 - July 05, 2014, 10:30 PM

Also lol god kicked satan out of heaven what's da guarantee he won't kick every muslim out when he gets bored of them ? Lool other errors include christianity being corrupted how stupid duz it sound god sends 120,000 prophets and wen it came to the 120 thousanth 1 the thought I shud start protecting it how stupid can u get it took u 120,000 prophets to realise u need to protect it u no he's not tht stupid he's tryna claim other religious as his when he didn't make it
  • Second guessing
     Reply #7 - July 05, 2014, 10:34 PM

When I left islam the only thing which made islam possible imo wuz the scientific miracles but today even those are debunked found out today tht every so called scientific miracle found in quran were things said at the time by ppl like aristotle I.e 2 rivers tht dnt mix der we're others too but dnt remember
  • Second guessing
     Reply #8 - July 05, 2014, 10:36 PM

I saw a lot of similarities with the Sabians (30 day fasting according to moon sightings... sound familiar?) Also, why not keep having prophets to send your messages to throughout time? Why only in a certain time and then bam... no news for the next 1,400 years.

• Second guessing
     Reply #9 - July 05, 2014, 10:37 PM

Also 1 more ting if christianity wuz corrupted how did no1 notice and if christianity wuz corrupted duz tht mean every1 tht existed between the time of christianity and islam will automatically get hell due to their being no right religion and if they get heaven how is tht fair they enjoy life and still get heaven whereas muslims now need to earn dat right
  • Second guessing
     Reply #10 - July 05, 2014, 10:38 PM

When I left islam the only thing which made islam possible imo wuz the scientific miracles but today even those are debunked found out today tht every so called scientific miracle found in quran were things said at the time by ppl like aristotle I.e 2 rivers tht dnt mix der we're others too but dnt remember

I'm not too sure of the miracles in the Quran that are actually true scientifically. I did look into it and again, too vague to pinpoint anything. I'm sure the Greek also made a reference to the earth being flat and spread out with the sky acting like a protective dome much like the quran said.

• Second guessing
     Reply #11 - July 05, 2014, 10:39 PM

Also 1 more ting if christianity wuz corrupted how did no1 notice and if christianity wuz corrupted duz tht mean every1 tht existed between the time of christianity and islam will automatically get hell due to their being no right religion and if they get heaven how is tht fair they enjoy life and still get heaven whereas muslims now need to earn dat right

you make a good point. And how about those who lived before the time of islam or christianity? All the early homo-sapiens, what about them? Why choose a time where everyone believed in mythology to send your message down?

• Second guessing
     Reply #12 - July 05, 2014, 10:40 PM

I saw a lot of similarities with the Sabians (30 day fasting according to moon sightings... sound familiar?) Also, why not keep having prophets to send your messages to throughout time? Why only in a certain time and then bam... no news for the next 1,400 years.

there cnt be prophets now because now modern day science wud whoop der ass lol funny how god only sends messages when their r gulliable ppl and from ur comment I remembered arab pagan religion is the exact same as modern day islam they worshiped al ilah the supreme god tht shortened=allah they went around the kaba they kissed da kaba they believe allah is a moon god what do u find on mosques as far as I no its a moon what is islam symbol the cresent moon
  • Second guessing
     Reply #13 - July 05, 2014, 10:43 PM

you make a good point. And how about those who lived before the time of islam or christianity? All the early homo-sapiens, what about them? Why choose a time where everyone believed in mythology to send your message down?

exactly ppl wudnt believe him in this day and age without evidence which he cnt provide also 1 ting is why did god bother sending jesus to beg ppl to join his religion u wasted both jesus's and christians time u made em waste time praying and believing and will give them hell for following god how stupid u purposely misled ppl
  • Second guessing
     Reply #14 - July 05, 2014, 10:44 PM

I'm going to quote part of a post I made to another member. I was shit tired when I wrote it so if you want to have a look at the whole thing, I'll apologise in advance for the typos. Grin

Once upon a time I was on a train, sitting next to a Christian. I noticed he was wearing a cross. The ride lasted for hours and we had a conversation. I've always been very open and enjoy meeting new people. He confessed to me he was having a crisis of faith. If you don't give yourself to Jesus and accept him as your saviour you go to hell. He mentioned Gandhi, someone who was not a Christian but was a good man. He questioned his faith in a just merciful god who would send Gandhi to hell just for belonging to the wrong religion. I mentioned some Priests who have said publicly they believe good people who aren't Christians will go to heaven precisely because these Priests believe in a just and merciful god. This seemed to make him feel better. I also offered the opinion that perhaps you could follow Jesus in a way other than being a Christian. You don't have to believe he was god made flesh to see he had good teachings any more than you have to be Muslim to see the beauty and the poetry in the Quran. Do unto others as you would have done unto you, let he who is without sin cast the first stone, judge not lest ye be judged yourself, I think whatever your religion, or lack of religion, you can see the wisdom in that. Perhaps if your own life was lived in this Christ like way that would be following Jesus. Though Gandhi was a Hindu no one can deny many of his teachings and the way he lived his life is exactly how Christians try to live. If god truly is loving just and merciful the idea of a good person being punished for eternity is oxymoronic.

You may say this is picking and choosing, and you're right. That's exactly what it is. Having no god myself makes this rather easy. I can take the parts of the sunnahs and hadiths, and parts from any other religion or philosophy I like and discard the rest, and if I think parts of them do have good teachings I can or should apply, why not?

The fact you can find good in the quran has no bearing on whether or not it's true just as the fact you can find bad doesn't automatically mean it isn't true. We can disagree with something, wish something were different, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. I just had a PM from a member and I gave him something I'm going to give you as well. A challenge to disprove the quran that, months later, has not been refuted.

So I thought I'd expand on the above, because I honestly meant these to be arguments.

1) The quran:

The quran claims itself to be the perfect uncorrupted word of god. That's it's biggest flaw. It invites challenge in a way other holy texts don't, and is really to arrogant for it's own good. The level is enough that it doesn't have the flexibility needed to stand the test of time. The fact that it doesn't have this flexibility, and that it needs it in the first place, is an argument against it in my opinion.

2) Sanity

There's only so much a human being can reasonably be held accountable for when it comes to spiritual matters. There's a verse in the quran which says allah has not given us two hearts. I personally view this as metaphorical, not literal. We view and believe certain things a certain way. I cannot at the same time believe in the quran while seeing flaws in it.

3) Reality

The quran, like all the other holy texts, claims to be the word of god. The way to verify this is testing it, see if it stacks up. Quite frankly it doesn't. Dust devils and jinns, spontaneous human creation, great flood, there's a lot to choose from, but I'll pick a few.

The story of the arc and the great flood. This would have happened around 4000 years ago. It's quite simply impossible for the number of races, ethnicities and the huge amount of genetic traits to come from one incestuous family in just 4000 years. It cannot happen. Something else that puts a hole in the story is the amount of people who were thriving at this point. God flooded the entire world. Except for the Chinese who were developing at an incredible rate and remained unaffected from a global flood that wiped out every human on the planet. The Japanese were also unaffected. And the Africans. And the Europeans. And the Native Americans. And the Aztecs. And the South Americans. And most of the middle east.  The flood never happened. It's not real.

The quran teaches that humans were created from clay in a specific creation. If you're to count on the hadiths, then it's just even more ludicrous. We know the first human was not a 90 foot tall clay giant. Even if you don't take the hadiths into account, it also doesn't account for evolution, the proof of which is overwhelming. Nor does it account for the number of people today who have Neanderthal DNA in them from before the Neanderthals went extinct. Everything I know to be proven fact contradicts the claims of the quran. The only logical conclusion I can come to is that it was a story told by ancient societies because they didn't have any answers. Adam never existed. It's not real.

The sun orbits the Earth...yeah, we've known that's bullshit for a few centuries now.

It says in the quran that in the embryo/foetus the bones are the first thing to form. "So we made the clot a morsel, so we made the morsel bones, so we clothed the bones (with) meat". This is wrong. The skeleton is actually among the last to be formed. You'd think the all knowing creator of everything would realise this. It's wrong.

The stars are missiles to be hurled at jinns. Or they hunt demons. I haven't read the quran in a while so I can't remember the exact quote, but you can look it up to see exactly what it says. This is also wrong. The stars are just stars, they do the exact same thing as the star we orbit, the sun.

Women are defective in intelligence. Coming from a culture where gender mixing is the norm and close relationships aren't looked down upon, I can tell you this isn't true from my own experience. And then there's current trends in school grades, sciences, IQ and employment performance, the fact there are women in MENSA (if you don't know MENSA is like a super genius club, only 2% of the human population globally have a high enough IQ to qualify for membership). Now we live in an age men and women have equal rights, women are on the same level and even starting to out preform men. So I'm going to say this is wrong.

4) Nonsense

Do you believe that allah puts a veil over our hearts? If the answer to this is yes, then my reply to that would be that I'm blameless. If the reason I don't see the truth of islam is because allah put a veil over my heart, then it stands to reason I'll be punished (by being sent to hell) for a crime I didn't commit. My reason for saying I'm being punished for a crime I didn't commit is that allah delibertly put a veil over my heart so I would never know him, therefore the fault is allah's, not mine.

Do you believe nothing happens accept by allah's will? If so then it's the same as above. If nothing happens except by allah's will, then allah made sure I wouldn't believe in him. So again the fault lies with allah, not myself.

Do you believe islam teaches there's no compulsion in religion? If so does that mean if you don't accept islam as true, then you go to hell? If so, this means that allah has told us something to be taken as truth, and he punishes us for taking him at his word instead of assuming he was lying.

Do you believe in the virgin birth? If so, can you understand why I might think it's more likely that a teenage girl told a lie rather than a virgin magically conceiving a child, carrying it to term, birthing it, and the child while still an infant speaking?

Can you also understand why it may be confusing that said infant would only speak once to a few people and refuse to speak again to others, which would cause all doubt in the divinity of allah to be wiped away?

Here's a situation. Let's say there's something in your house you don't like. It offends you. Let's also say you have the power of a god. Would you A) throw away the thing you didn't like or give it to charity, or B) bring it to life, give it intelligence so it can understand what's happening, enable it to feel pain, and torture it forever and ever and ever? Which is more merciful?

5) Common sense

It becomes a common sense issue. Let's say that I'm wrong. Let's say all the things I'm of the opinion are true are wrong. It doesn't change the fact that I find the quran unbelievable. I can't have more knowledge than what's available to me. Let's take evolution. I find it believable. I'm convinced of it. The quran goes against it. I have no reason whatsoever, nothing at all compelling me to believe the quranic story over proven scientific fact.

Or another, let's take the big bang. I'm convinced by what knowledge I have that before the universe, and after the universe, there was no Earth. This planet did not exist. It took a very long time for our star to be born and for our planet to form. This seems plausible to me. From what I know of physics and cosmology, I can accept this. I have no reason whatsoever to believe that the Earth existed from the start and was ripped apart from heaven.

Or another. The quran and hadiths suggest a flat Earth. At one point it's spread out like a carpet, at another the Earth is like an ostrich egg (had to pick the bird that buries it's egg and flattens the soil), allah will roll up the Earth like parchment/paper, and on and on it goes. Everything I'm aware of tells me this is wrong. It becomes less and less believable to me. So with all this in mind, common sense tells me that the only truth that lies hidden in the quran is simply the truths of the cultural norms and mindset of that society and time. Historically and psychologically it's interesting, but that's all it is. No more, no less.

And I have to admit, these aren't even my strongest arguments. I haven't thought about this endlessly, I haven't delved into the theology to throw things at you. The above is just what came to mind as I sit here filling the time on a lazy Sunday evening.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Second guessing
     Reply #15 - July 05, 2014, 10:52 PM

@Quod Sum Eris
    that was honestly a very perfect argument. Those are exactly the main reasons why I began denying the faith. Way too many historical and scientific inaccuracies, misogynistic views making it out as if the religion is one for men only. I'm sure Mary was a good woman, but yes it could be that she was lying. Maybe Jesus grew up believing that he was special. Who knows. I don't, but I don't pretend to know either while cramming it down people's throats.
    God putting a veil over our hearts is a good point. If he willed us to be blind of his faith himself, does that mean we were going to hell anyway? I just don't get it. Looking into the Quran gave me more questions than I began with.

• Second guessing
     Reply #16 - July 05, 2014, 10:53 PM

I don't even know what to think about "the splitting of the moon"

I would have mentioned this but if I remember right it's hadith not quran. Anyway, my thoughts on the matter:

Muhammad splitting the moon. Now this I can't prove to be false, but I can weight it against other things. People throughout the world at this point gazed at the stars. The Greeks, the Romans, the Chinese, they all had wonderful astronomers who mapped out the night sky. Certain claims by one society are matched by claims in another. Ancient Greeks for example would leave records of things they observed, shooting stars, eclipses, things that would last seconds or minutes, the same claims found with other peoples they had no contact with. Both recorded things matched by the other. So it's reasonable to assume that if Muhammad split the moon and then joined it together again, someone somewhere would have also noticed apart from a few Arabs in the desert. Maybe the rest of the world was on holiday, but I doubt it. I have to say this isn't true.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Second guessing
     Reply #17 - July 05, 2014, 10:57 PM

Also the claim of big bang is wrong it says heaven and earth were split asunder firstly heaven and earth are not 2 seperate entities they r 1 earth wuz formed in the universe it wuz not split it didn't exist so how can it split lol and also earth formed 9 billion years after so it cnt split
  • Second guessing
     Reply #18 - July 05, 2014, 10:58 PM

Muhammad splitting the moon.

was it said muhammad split the moon? I always thought that people asked god to prove himself and so he split the moon. Because of this I thought maybe he didn't actually split the moon and people were just seeing a half moon while it went through it's cycle
    But since you say muhammad split the moon, it makes it all the more interesting as well as it probably never happened i mean come on

• Second guessing
     Reply #19 - July 05, 2014, 11:00 PM

Also the claim of big bang is wrong it says heaven and earth were split asunder firstly heaven and earth are not 2 seperate entities they r 1 earth wuz formed in the universe it wuz not split it didn't exist so how can it split lol and also earth formed 9 billion years after so it cnt split

apparently many apologists say that when god refers to heaven he means "space" or "sky". Still doesn't make sense. Why couldn't he flat out say "6 billion years ago". It has occurred to me that people at the time wouldnt have been able to comprehend a number so large but surely god knew that in the future we would?Huh? The future was always disregarded and it seems islam is only suited to the early past.

• Second guessing
     Reply #20 - July 05, 2014, 11:02 PM

No evidence of moon splitting lol muslims usually critisizes christainity for saying jesus came to pay for our sins when islam it self states tht muslims will have mountains of sins and christians and jews will pay for them
  • Second guessing
     Reply #21 - July 05, 2014, 11:04 PM

apparently many apologists say that when god refers to heaven he means "space" or "sky". Still doesn't make sense. Why couldn't he flat out say "6 billion years ago". It has occurred to me that people at the time wouldnt have been able to comprehend a number so large but surely god knew that in the future we would?Huh? The future was always disregarded and it seems islam is only suited to the early past.

I no thts what I'm saying heavens=univere earth=earh islam thought earth is da centre of the universe when its jus a tiny dot in the universe the verse says heavens and earth wuz split asunder but earth and heaven r not two different entities they r 1
  • Second guessing
     Reply #22 - July 05, 2014, 11:05 PM

it just doesn't add up, does it?
    also @Quod Sum Eris, I just checked and it is written in both the quran and hadith that Muhammad split the moon. This is something i can't seem to believe. I've also refrained from taking any real evidence from hadiths because it all seems a little too much like chinese whispers and he said, she said.

• Second guessing
     Reply #23 - July 05, 2014, 11:07 PM

I no thts what I'm saying heavens=univere earth=earh islam thought earth is da centre of the universe when its jus a tiny dot in the universe the verse says heavens and earth wuz split asunder but earth and heaven r not two different entities they r 1

According to science, everything is at the centre of the universe as it is still expanding. (Think of many drawn on dots on a balloon. Blow that balloon and focus on each dot. Whatever dot you focus on, it all remains in the centre, spreading out equally.) And if Earth of where god must place all us mere humans... why the rest of the universe? what's the point?

• Second guessing
     Reply #24 - July 05, 2014, 11:11 PM

it just doesn't add up, does it?
    also @Quod Sum Eris, I just checked and it is written in both the quran and hadith that Muhammad split the moon. This is something i can't seem to believe. I've also refrained from taking any real evidence from hadiths because it all seems a little too much like chinese whispers and he said, she said.

Keep in mind that at this point many people believed the moon was a deity, a god or a goddess. So, god splits apart, and I'll repeat that again, god splits apart, is sealed together again, and it never makes it into the religious texts or myths? Come on...

• Second guessing
     Reply #25 - July 05, 2014, 11:16 PM

@Quod Sum Eris arab pagans believed al ilah i.e allah the supreme god who wuz the moon god so yh u got a point thts where tht verse may of come from never heard of tht one b4

@cestlavie also most muslims I debated with said tht u cnt be right because if ur right tht means we have no purpose and we cnt exist without purpose I said how come god made so many galaxies and stars and planets when its not needed does god like wasting resources because it has no purpose he said god made it to show how powerful so we can learn more and know he is the creator then I played it clever I said how come god made viruses then did he make them purposely to fuck us up then he shut up lol
  • Second guessing
     Reply #26 - July 05, 2014, 11:17 PM

This just gets more bizarre....

Also it's past 4am here in the UK so I should perhaps get some sleep, i look forward to waking up to more posts should there be any
    goodnight and thank you !    dance

• Second guessing
     Reply #27 - July 05, 2014, 11:18 PM

lol goodnight
  • Second guessing
     Reply #28 - July 05, 2014, 11:19 PM

@Quod Sum Eris arab pagans believed al ilah i.e allah the supreme god who wuz the moon god so yh u got a point thts where tht verse may of come from never heard of tht one b4

@cestlavie also most muslims I debated with said tht u cnt be right because if ur right tht means we have no purpose and we cnt exist without purpose I said how come god made so many galaxies and stars and planets when its not needed does god like wasting resources because it has no purpose he said god made it to show how powerful so we can learn more and know he is the creator then I played it clever I said how come god made viruses then did he make them purposely to fuck us up then he shut up lol

((last post for tonight))hahahaha that's hilarious!

• Second guessing
     Reply #29 - July 05, 2014, 11:25 PM

manzir, I'm not convinced that the Arabs believed allah was a moon god. But it wasn't actually the point I was making. My point was, different people throughout the world believed the moon was a god, and yet I'm supposed to believe it was split apart and no one noticed? Especially those who worshipped the moon as a god? Bullshit.

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »