Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Zeus is back!!

(Read 12545 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #60 - July 24, 2014, 09:54 PM

You're annoyed that I don't show the proper respect due to a mythic figure?

I sure hope you never saw that movie Dracula: Dead And Loving It!

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #61 - July 24, 2014, 10:05 PM

I have actually never met anyone who got offended over a portrayal of Zeus before.
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #62 - July 24, 2014, 10:14 PM

I wonder how I should show respect. Should I build a shrine?

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #63 - July 24, 2014, 11:12 PM

You need to show respect to a historical idea and not deliberately portray it as something it is not. You dont get any points for that.

Zeuspater or Dyaus Pitr the Sky Father is an extremely important diety in the history of indo European religion.

dont mess with shit you don't understand

See Dyaus below line 12
    HYMN LXXXIX Indra. Vak. 89

1. I MOVE before thee here present in person, and all the Deities follow behind me.
     When, Indra, thou securest me my portion, with me thou shalt perform heroic actions.
     2 The food of meath in foremost place I give thee, thy Soma shall be pressed, thy share appointed.
     Thou on my right shalt be my friend and comrade: then shall we two smite dead full many a foeman.
     3 Striving for strength bring forth a laud to Indra, a truthful hymn if he in truth existeth.
     One and another say, There is no Indra. Who hath beheld him? Whom then shall we honour?
     4 Here am I, look upon me here, O singer. All that existeth 1 surpass in greatness.
     The Holy Laws' commandments make me mighty. Rending with strength I rend the worlds asunder.
     5 When the Laws' lovers mounted and ap. proached me as 1 sate lone upon the dear skys' summit.
     Then spake my spirit to the heart within me, My friends have cried unto me with their children.
     6 All these thy deeds must be declared at Somafeasts-, wrought, Indra, Bounteous Lord, for him who sheds the juice,
     When thou didst open wealth heaped up by many, brought from far away to Sarablia, the Rsis' kin.
     7 Now run ye forth your several ways: he is not here who kept you back.
     For hath not Indra sunk his bolt deep down in Vrtras' vital part?
     8 Onrushing- with the speed of thought within the iron fort he pressed:
     The Falcon went to heaven and brought the Soma to the Thunderer.
     9 Deep in the ocean lies the bolt with waters compassed round about,
     And in continuous onward flow the floods their tribute bring to it.
     10 When, uttering words which no one comprehended, Vak, Queen of Gods, the Gladdener, was seated,
     The heavens' four regions drew forth drink and vigour: now whither hath her noblest portion vanished?
     11 The Deities generated Vak the Goddess, and animals of every figure speak her.
     May she, the Gladdener, yielding food and vigour, the Milchcow- Vak, approach us meetly lauded.
     12 Step forth with wider stride, my comrade Visnu; make room, Dyaus, for the leaping of the lightning.
     Let us slay Vrtra, let us free the rivers let them flow loosed at the command of Indra.
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #64 - July 24, 2014, 11:33 PM

Before I respond, are you joking or serious?

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #65 - July 24, 2014, 11:49 PM

Why would it be a joke? Does this sound like a joke to you..

"It must be plain that as works of mechanical art the metres of the Rigveda stand high above those of modern Europe in variety of motive and in flexibility of form. They seem indeed to bear the same relation to them as the rich harmonies of classical music bear to the simple melodies of the peasant. " from Wikipedia

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #66 - July 24, 2014, 11:50 PM

Sounds shit to me. Welcome to the internet.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #67 - July 24, 2014, 11:59 PM

Why would it be a joke? Does this sound like a joke to you..

Yes.

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #68 - July 25, 2014, 12:06 AM

I've never met a Hellenistic fundamentalist before, thats a first... if thats the correct term even lol... 
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #69 - July 25, 2014, 12:18 AM

How am I a fundemantalist? Pls explain?

By the way that quote is from Edwin Arnold an Oxford graduate who worked as a poet and journalist. Someone more qualified than any of us. Also, the field of comparative linguistics is entirely dependant on those hymns.

Welcome to History and Art. If you don't like it that's fine.

My point is, you obviously dont know or understand Greek mythology very well. Which makes you very arrogant to mock it.
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #70 - July 25, 2014, 12:28 AM

So? Do we abdicate our aesthetic appreciation or revulsion of something simply because you cite a wiki quote or throw a tantrum.

We mock whichever mythical deity we choose and if you are offended then frack off!  Tongue

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #71 - July 25, 2014, 12:34 AM

Mubs, I was just joking around : )   but i do wonder why you are offended by the posts..

X
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #72 - July 25, 2014, 12:45 AM

Mubs, with all due respect, I think it's clear that Quod and the creator of the video did not intend to compete with great poets and historians with that silly video.

I was serious when I said that you're the first person I've met to be offended by someone taking Zeus less than seriously. Maybe keep that in mind instead of trying to make an example of Quod to set new standards of reverence for old mythology. You're the only one bringing hostility to the table right now. Take a step back, relax.
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #73 - July 25, 2014, 01:07 AM

trying to make an example of Quod to set new standards of reverence

Trust me, s/he's got no chance of doing that.

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #74 - July 25, 2014, 01:30 AM

Ok there's no point in arguing. For the record though, I am not for videos like that, be it Zeus or Allah or whatever.
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #75 - July 25, 2014, 01:49 AM

You made statements indicating that I'm ignorant solely on the basis of a random youtube video. That is both hysterical and pathetic. The fact I can enjoy a joke has no reflection whatsoever on my understanding and appreciation of the points you made. I can enjoy a joke involving Zeus (and anything else) while being perfectly aware and appreciative of the arts it inspired, the contribution of the believes and the society entrenched with it as well as the wonderful and complex mythology.

Your offense is unwarranted and I will not cease in posts that don't break forum rules because of your little hissy fit.

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #76 - August 03, 2014, 12:58 PM

Both. The creator for making it and you for posting it.

For me personally I have some respect for Greek mythology and don't think its ok to misrepresent Zeus as is done in the video. The guy in the video is nothing like Zeus so it is just a fallacy.

Well how do you know, have you ever seen Zeus??

An in any case, how DARE you claim that Zeus needs protection from mere mortals. Are you suggesting that Zeus is weak and unable to defend himself?? This is disgusting and offensive to suggest that the Almighty Zeus, lord of all gods would be troubled by the utterances of a lowly earthly human.

Zeus is WAY more powerful than those weakling gods of the bible. torah and quran, who one minute are claiming that they are the most powerful and next minute, someone criticized them they are a sobbing emotional wreck.

BLASPHEMER!!!

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #77 - August 03, 2014, 01:03 PM

Ok there's no point in arguing. For the record though, I am not for videos like that, be it Zeus or Allah or whatever.

Then you are probably on the wrong website.

Are you upset by Santa Claus jokes as well?

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #78 - August 03, 2014, 03:03 PM

*plays the world's saddest song on the world's smallest violin*

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #79 - August 09, 2014, 01:03 PM

I've never met a Hellenistic fundamentalist before, thats a first... if thats the correct term even lol... 

Oh shit! What have I started..........I have spawned a monster!!

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #80 - August 31, 2014, 10:42 PM

On the subject of European deities a mate of mine recently told me he has a 'Thor Hammer' tattoo on his arm. He then followed up by telling me he believes that the old pagan european Gods and myths are actually true but just haven't been scientifically proven yet. To be fair he did then follow this part up by mentioning "but I've been known to be pyschotic in the past".
    This poor guy, had a rough young adulthood, much of it self inflicted. Through a cocktail of drugs and alcohol his life was a wreak. He'd wander into town every other day and night like a soldier on a mission, gradually getting barred from every pub on his way in. Altercations were inevitable, beating and getting beatin up par for the course. Followed by bouts of insomnia, paranoia and delusions, leading to hospitalisation. Eventually after years of tough times things turned in his favour.
    He met and married (no not quite a muslim but the next best thing) a tee-totalling vegan who helped him kick the booze and straighten out his life. They've since moved to South America where as far as I know things continue to go well.

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #81 - August 31, 2014, 11:05 PM

So whats that got to do with anything and yes I digress but there is a small point to my previous post and it's basically in the form of a question.
    I have close family members and friends who believe in things such as Bigfoot, pagan gods, reincarnation, ghosts, premonitions, alien visitations and a host of conspiracy theories.
    So the question is this, why should we single out muslims or mock Islam for it's seemingly supernatural/fantastical claims?
    My answer is that we don't single out muslims, (it's not my intention to ever make it personal) the purpose is to keep Islam in check.
    Anyone can challenge belief in the existence of Bigfoot, even in a muslim country and in all probability still sleep easy at night but question the existence of Allah, I'm not so sure.
    None of these seemingly bizzare (to me at least) notions I listed earlier ask the believer to regard themselves as superior or view others in a derogatory light. They don't lay caims to be perfect or infalliable.
    Islam however does and this is why we must challenge it.
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #82 - September 01, 2014, 07:54 PM

How am I a fundemantalist? Pls explain?

By the way that quote is from Edwin Arnold an Oxford graduate who worked as a poet and journalist. Someone more qualified than any of us. Also, the field of comparative linguistics is entirely dependant on those hymns.

Welcome to History and Art. If you don't like it that's fine.

My point is, you obviously dont know or understand Greek mythology very well. Which makes you very arrogant to mock it.

Oh so you think it is 'Mythology' huh?

Can you prove Zeus Doesn't exist. Blah blah blah

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #83 - September 28, 2014, 03:25 PM

Karen Armstrong and the death of paganism:

http://heresycorner.blogspot.com/2012/02/karen-armstrong-and-death-of-paganism.html
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #84 - September 28, 2014, 05:19 PM

I don't know if you can humanise this, and would you want to?  Zeus having alliances with other goddesses and beautiful women is what it is all about!

And interfering in wars, fighting other gods, receiving sacrificed cartloads of animals to the gods - and very interestingly only letting the gods have the smoke and some bits whilst the humans party the night away!

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #85 - September 29, 2014, 07:53 PM

You need to show respect to a historical idea and not deliberately portray it as something it is not. You dont get any points for that.

Zeuspater or Dyaus Pitr the Sky Father is an extremely important diety in the history of indo European religion.

dont mess with shit you don't understand

So what if I mess with Zeus? What will happen? Yeah, I am messing with him BIG TIME!! MESS MESS MESS

Zeus can take his thunderbolt and stick it where the lightning don't strike. And you can tell him next time you speak to him too!

Tell him to come and have a go if he thinks he's hard enough. I will be waiting at 4.30pm tomorrow in the usual place, he will know where to find me.

• Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »