Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Zeus is back!!

(Read 12546 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #30 - July 08, 2014, 05:29 AM

Quote by Shaytanshoes- They should focus on the good bits of ancient Greek philosophy while cutting out the racism, sexism and superstition.

I wish all religion did that.
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #31 - July 09, 2014, 02:57 PM

Zeus is back and he's really PISSED OFF!!!
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #32 - July 09, 2014, 07:07 PM

If they're bringing back Zeus, will they bring back blood sacrifices, burning of meat to appease the Olympian gods and pouring of wine as libations? That's a waste of perfectly good barbecue material Cheesy

I'm not sure why bringing back a fantasy sky fairy - even a badass one like Zeus - means anything. They should focus on the good bits of ancient Greek philosophy while cutting out the racism, sexism and superstition.

Blood Sacrifices? Hey they have apologetics 'a divine explanation' for that in the FAQ too:

"Do you perform blood sacrifices?
     There are two types of sacrifices, those involving the letting of blood (i.e., the slaughter of an animal that is later eaten during the festive meal) and blood-less ones. Both are equally sacred. However today, the sacredness of the former is not easily appreciated, because humanity has distanced itself from nature and consumes meat slaughtered savagely with mechanical devices, bought in supermarkets and packaged in plastic. This is why we only persist with the practice of blood-less sacrifice.

The 'accusation' made by Christians regarding blood sacrifice is dishonest and hypocritical. It is simply made to defame us to those who don't know a lot about Ethnic religions. The Christians, who non-sacrificially slaughter millions of sheep and turkeys during their own celebrations, have few problems with their conscience.

Is it true that the ancient Hellenes performed human sacrifices?
     This is just another disgusting, Christian lie. With the exception of mythological narratives, Ethnic Hellenic religious ceremonies NEVER included human sacrifice. Our Religion is innately and instinctively related to philosophy, science and all the other cultural achievements of our ancestors, whilst encompassing the most illustrious, historical approach to the Divine. It was this specific religion and world-view that discovered and expressed the meaning of Humanism. Therefore, even the mere suggestion of human sacrifice is absurd, from every perspective.

Sacrifice, as mentioned above, is the sacred act of communion of mortals with the Gods and a thanksgiving for Nature's riches, involving an offering made by the former to the latter. It is therefore obvious to even the simplest, serious person that this cannot include human victims.

A few endeavour to convince others that the massacre of Persian captives by Themistocles, before the naval battle of Salamis, (The famous Kebab Shop Wars? lol) and the use of some condemned criminals as pharmakoi were 'human sacrifices'. Excepting Hellas-haters, all those who know about our ancestors should also know that, in any of the independent, autonomous Hellenic Poleis (cities) - something confirmed by archaeological research. All references to such rituals belong there is NO recorded instance of official religious practice involving human sacrificeexclusively to the world of mythological narrative."

Apologetics is so easy!!!

NOTE: Please if anyone is really taking me seriously on this .......DON'T! lol

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #33 - July 09, 2014, 07:09 PM

Zeus is back and he's really PISSED OFF!!!

You betcha!!

Don't believe in Zeus?? Where do you think lightning comes from??

CHECKMATE Atheists!!

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #34 - July 09, 2014, 07:10 PM

Quote by Shaytanshoes- They should focus on the good bits of ancient Greek philosophy while cutting out the racism, sexism and superstition.

I wish all religion did that.

Well said!  Afro

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #35 - July 16, 2014, 09:41 PM

Zeus Pater ( and Jupiter too)  are cognates of Indo Aryan Dyaus Pita. Zeus means nothing in Greek but Dyaus means Sky in Vedic. Other cognate words include divas (Indic) for day, Day, divine, deity etc. All related to the concept of day sky, bright, shining etc.

Indo European culture and religion are super cool. Rta is probably the most important yet least well known of all historical religious concepts. Rta is etymologically related to right, rite, rightous, ritual, route, rote, Arete (Greek), Art.

Islam, ,christianity, Post exhilic judaism, Hinduism Jainism Buddhism, all IE pagan religions inc Norse, Greek, Celtic, Roman etc ALL devolved from something so close to Vedic that it is the for all intents and purposes the same. 

Now, how many rwligions can claim that!
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #36 - July 16, 2014, 10:15 PM

I love the title of this thread! I think it should be made into a comic strip - or film!

It's 2014 and Zeus is back - and boy is he mad! "Greek Orthodox Church!!?? What the fuck!!" Time to sort this shit out (rolls up sleeves) "Zaaaaaap! KapOW! KabLAM"  ..."I'm sorry Zeus... Ahhhh" (gets sword plunged into eye socket) "Take that, bitch!"
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #37 - July 17, 2014, 04:48 AM

Sounds like the next instalment of "300" Smiley Zeus comes back to modern Greece, cue rolling of heads, skewering of eyeballs, limbs flying like confetti.

I didn't know so much of European religion had Vedic roots. Are the words the same but carry different meanings in different cultures? Is the proto-Vedic religion a patriarchal polytheistic one or does it have matriarchal elements?
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #38 - July 17, 2014, 10:31 AM

Well the root of European language, culture and religion is something called Proto-Indo-European (PIE). PIE is not attested so can only be reconstructed by comparing different branches of the Indo European family such Germanic, Greek, Hitite, Indic, Iranian etc. This reconstruction process however is not perfect.

Vedic, though itself just one branch, is by far closest to PIE. Fir instance, the vedic literature is the only that maintains the unbounded PIE pitch accent. In Greek the accent is already bounded.

The words are cognates which meanss they have the same root. The older words, such as Rta (not sure hownits pronounced) would have all the related meanings. Cognate modern words tend to only have one or two aspects rather than the complete concept.

Patriarchy is extremely important to the development and maintenance of civilization and probably predates PIE significantly. However, the type of patriarchy in Vedic is different to what we find in the Middle East. I think its an earlier and more balanced form of patriarchy.
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #39 - July 17, 2014, 12:48 PM

Patriarchy is extremely important to the development and maintenance of civilization

Ahem! As if women didn't contribute to civilisation and there were no ancient matriarchal societies.
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #40 - July 17, 2014, 01:20 PM

In all fairness I think it would be very difficult to find a non-patriarchal 'civilization', society maybe, but not civilization. Patriarchies tend to think of the betterment of society through increasing Order, whereas todays western non-patriarchy thinks more in terms of individualism and desires an escape from Order and Responsibility.

I'm not sure of the extent to which Patriarchy precludes a contribution from women. It might be noteworthy, though, that we dont know of even one non-patriarchy that we could consider a Civilization i.e having literature, technology, complex social rules.

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #41 - July 18, 2014, 08:12 PM

polytheism as a story and narrative is so much more fun than monotheism

The funny thing is that monotheists think that polytheism is absurd, whereas monotheism is totally true and rational and proven

Yeah Polytheism is like a divine Coronation Street.  Cheesy

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #42 - July 18, 2014, 08:15 PM

Patriarchy is extremely important to the development and maintenance of civilization

Ahem! As if women didn't contribute to civilisation and there were no ancient matriarchal societies.

Yeah I agree, its nearly always men who screw it all up, and as far as these silly religions go, stuffy male beardy senile theocrats (as Hitch would have put it)

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #43 - July 18, 2014, 08:16 PM

WOMEN, we love you. Life would not be worth living without you all.

Love

A man (not Amen lol)

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #44 - July 18, 2014, 08:18 PM

I love the title of this thread! I think it should be made into a comic strip - or film!

It's 2014 and Zeus is back - and boy is he mad! "Greek Orthodox Church!!?? What the fuck!!" Time to sort this shit out (rolls up sleeves) "Zaaaaaap! KapOW! KabLAM"  ..."I'm sorry Zeus... Ahhhh" (gets sword plunged into eye socket) "Take that, bitch!"

Could be like The99, the Muslim Superhero comic!!!

http://www.the99.org/

Just as believable as the quran no less.  Tongue

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #45 - July 18, 2014, 08:44 PM

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #46 - July 18, 2014, 08:48 PM

There were quite a few Greek goddesses too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Greek_goddesses

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #47 - July 18, 2014, 08:57 PM

Can you imagine the furore of an action front cover with Zeus whacking the snot outta Yahweh, Jesus, Mo, Allah, and gang.?

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #48 - July 19, 2014, 04:07 AM

With all the thunder and lighting  happening today, I guess I have to believe it lol.
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #49 - July 19, 2014, 04:23 AM

polytheism as a story and narrative is so much more fun than monotheism

Agreed, while few I know still believe, many near to me still call their kids after the old pagan gods, keep the stories alive, celebrate festivals like Halloween and have even been known to 'tip the hat' to/mark the passing of the Summer solstice by throwing a party on or around the date. It's so much cooler and way more fun being a cultural pagan.  Wink
    The funny thing is that monotheists think that polytheism is absurd, whereas monotheism is totally true and rational and proven

They just down sized is all.
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #50 - July 19, 2014, 10:36 AM

So ancient people used to be believe in 100s of god for everything, then there were only a dozen gods, then the xtians had 3 gods (welded together to make 1 god) then the muslims had 1 god.....................so it seems we are going in the right direction. Smiley

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #51 - July 23, 2014, 02:38 PM

"So ancient people used to be believe in 100s of god for everything, then there were only a dozen gods, then the xtians had 3 gods (welded together to make 1 god) then the muslims had 1 god.....................so it seems we are going in the right direction"

No, of course if we go from Proto-Indo-European religion to Atheism via Monotheism then that is definitely not the correct direction.

Agreed, while few I know still believe, many near to me still call their kids after the old pagan gods, keep the stories alive, celebrate festivals like Halloween and have even been known to 'tip the hat' to/mark the passing of the Summer solstice by throwing a party on or around the date. It's so much cooler and way more fun being a cultural pagan.  ;)They just down sized is all.

I wouldnt call Halloween a Pagan festival, atleast not in the strictest sense. Modern Pagans are far from the real (Proto-IndoEuropean/Vedic/Greek etc) thing.
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #52 - July 23, 2014, 03:22 PM

I don't see why this neo-pagan revival hasn't been called the Greek Unorthodox Church, personally...
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #53 - July 24, 2014, 01:26 PM

Cheesy

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #54 - July 24, 2014, 07:44 PM

Islam, ,christianity, Post exhilic judaism, Hinduism Jainism Buddhism, all IE pagan religions inc Norse, Greek, Celtic, Roman etc ALL devolved from something so close to Vedic that it is the for all intents and purposes the same. 

Now, how many rwligions can claim that!

They all do. lol

Thanks for the info Mubs, mythology can be very interesting....... until its taken as fact.

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #55 - July 24, 2014, 07:45 PM

I don't see why this neo-pagan revival hasn't been called the Greek Unorthodox Church, personally...

I Like it ........a lot.  Afro Cheesy

Or perhaps the Greek Southpaw Church??

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #56 - July 24, 2014, 08:29 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fiikmorh_xk

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Zeus is back!!
     Reply #57 - July 24, 2014, 08:37 PM

^^ This is so immature and pathetic. Really not worth upsetting people like that. Have some respect.

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #58 - July 24, 2014, 09:34 PM

Me or the creator?

• Zeus is back!!
     Reply #59 - July 24, 2014, 09:50 PM

Both. The creator for making it and you for posting it.

For me personally I have some respect for Greek mythology and don't think its ok to misrepresent Zeus as is done in the video. The guy in the video is nothing like Zeus so it is just a fallacy.
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »