Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: greetings from jakarta, Indonesia

(Read 6335 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • greetings from jakarta, Indonesia
     OP - June 29, 2014, 02:42 PM

Hi guys, should i say salam as an opening?  dance

recently i just came out to my mom that im not a believer anymore. it happened like 2 hours ago (yes, in the first day of ramadhan). then we had a little bit debate (with a loud voice) and she finally can accept me by pointing out the tolerance surah (Al-Kafirun). but i can still see a mad face on her so.. maybe she just need more time (hopefully).

Anyway, i decided to left Islam like several months ago.
    i was born as a sunni Muslim (non-practicing), start studying this religion during my junior highshool, then i encountered christianity and intersted to it, so i try to learn both at the same time, and it leads me to Sunni Islam. My experience is sunni islam wasn't that good, neither bad, lets say its complicated.

when i was a sunni muslim, i had a various debate in nearly every topic/issue within Islam, and the one who oppose my view is the sunni muslim themselves *sigh*. for example about music, beards, that isbal thingy (what do u call it in english?), niqab, khilafah, qishash, stoning, even a midget unimportant issue at all like shaking hands to the one next to you after shalat (this is the most mind-blowing issue i've ever been into).

then i encountered shia muslim, not the polite one because he quickly judge me as a hell's inhabitant along with all sunni muslim because he said all sunni worshiping abu bakr, therefore, we're a damned shirk that needed to be cursed all the time. and this story is real, im not exaggerated about it, but i know not all shia like this.

After exploring sunni islam for years, i decide to left the madhab, i tried shia but it didnt work due to lack of the source of it (and we dont have many shia activist in our country), then i came across to Quranism. it takes only a week for me to consider myself as a Quranist.

Quranism is way more more more more rational than sunni and shia, but short after i decide to explore more about this madhab, i found something.. confusing. Quranism also divided into 2 big sect commonly known as "ritualist" and "non-ritualist". Ritualist still perform shalat, fasting, and hajj. but the amount of prayer a day may vary depends on person's interpretation of the ayaat. while the non-ritualist dont do such things.

a year after, i decided to... questioning God. "do You really exist??? really for 8 years im trying to find the truth about you and it leads me NOWHERE but into a deep ocean of confusion. if you really want us human to worship you, what makes you so hard to make it happen?? what do you really want anyway?? do you feel happy up there watching your servants kill each other in the name of You?? really God? or its just me who stupid enough to believe crap about your existence? maybe it wasn't you, it is me that have to wake up and re-thinking about your nature or existence! yeah im gonna do it"

soon after i exploring ideas about God's nature, i came to the conclusion, that i don't believe God (abrahamic version) exist, but i won't deny any possibilities in the future about his existence, therefore i call myself an Agnostic Atheist.

anyway im soooo sorry for my bad english.  Cry

Salamun alaykum  Cheesy
     Reply #1 - June 29, 2014, 03:10 PM

Woah, what a day to come out! Grin

Welcome, good to have you here!  parrot
     Reply #2 - June 29, 2014, 03:12 PM

Hi Indostic. Welcome in!  parrot
     Reply #3 - June 29, 2014, 03:15 PM

Congrats on coming out!

I like your name, it sounds like a thing Cheesy

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #4 - June 29, 2014, 03:19 PM

dude i can't quote your posts :( :(
    i use proxy because it seems my ISP banned this web, is it related to the problem?

@lua, hahhaa i know right!? but my family isn't that religious, in fact, i was the most fanatic muslim in this entire family. even my relatives think im gonna be a terrorist someday. but surpriseee... hahaha

@lilye, thank you Smiley

@jila, thanks bro, haha whats with my name  Roll Eyes
     Reply #5 - June 29, 2014, 03:21 PM

dude i can't quote your posts :( :(
    i use proxy because it seems my ISP banned this web, is it related to the problem?

@lua, hahhaa i know right!? but my family isn't that religious, in fact, i was the most fanatic muslim in this entire family. even my relatives think im gonna be a terrorist someday. but surpriseee... hahaha

@lilye, thank you Smiley

@jila, thanks bro, haha whats with my name  Roll Eyes

Interesting. They think religiosity is statistically related to terrorist activity.
     Reply #6 - June 29, 2014, 03:24 PM

@lilye, well, isn't it kinda obvi especially for muslim? i was a judgemental person back there, so yeah i was like having the "terrorist seeds" already.
     Reply #7 - June 29, 2014, 03:29 PM

@lilye, well, isn't it kinda obvi especially for muslim? i was a judgemental person back there, so yeah i was like having the "terrorist seeds" already.

^^^ Haha!  Cheesy

Imagining a packet of seeds with the title

'Nutso-gone-crazy Jihadi Muslim' on them with instructions saying to 'bury in peoples minds'; take them over for the Ummah.

Bit like the Cordyceps fungus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8
     Reply #8 - June 29, 2014, 03:42 PM

i was born into a sunni Muslim family

Fixed it for you.

Welcome to CEMB. It's great about your mum accepting your apostasy, even non practising it must have been nerve wracking to tell her. Have a parrot. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #9 - June 29, 2014, 04:33 PM

@Quod Sun Eris, thank you for fixed it. looking foward for your another corrections   thnkyu

anyway, is there any ex-muslims who hates Islam here?
    me myself, becoming an atheist means im free from hatred. therefore, i don't hate Islam or any religions. i don't even hate Muhammad for what he has done (creating islam), currently i still see him as one of the great revolutionary leader in history.

its always sadden me when people think i hate Islam just because i left the religion. no, in fact, i don't at all. even sometimes i feel im still attached to Islam in some ways, when someone (especially christians from protestant denom) insult Islam, technically i would defend Islam, even deep down i honestly realize that he's right at some point, but  christianity is not any  better than Islam IMHO.

is it normal? lol
     Reply #10 - June 29, 2014, 04:36 PM

Welcome Indostic

I think we are all at different levels and phases in our leaving Islam

So some may hate what the religion did to them or how it affected them but certainly we all have ties to it

Mainly we are open and respectable of everyone's feelings and levels of attachment/dis attachment to the religon
     parrot bunny piggy

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
     Reply #11 - June 29, 2014, 04:39 PM

@confuse, ah okay. r u ex-muslim too?
     Reply #12 - June 29, 2014, 04:40 PM

Yes I am Smiley since March

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

Reply #13 - June 29, 2014, 04:44 PM

cool, mind to share the story?  Smiley

*anyway is my english understandable?  seriously i have a confidence issue for talking/chatting in english lol. those grammar nazi really hit my confidence.
     Reply #14 - June 29, 2014, 04:48 PM

I can understand you perfectly.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #15 - June 29, 2014, 04:52 PM

parrot

Welcome. I find your English to be fine. Don't worry about grammar nazis. No one likes a nazi.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #16 - June 29, 2014, 04:57 PM

My story basically Smiley

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=26015.msg739333#msg739333

Reply #17 - June 29, 2014, 05:39 PM

Oh welcome Indostic. It's good to know that your mum is OK with your apostasy. I used to be in your shoes but not any more. But that won't prevent me from giving you a parrot  parrot Smiley. And welcome.

Reply #18 - June 29, 2014, 08:46 PM

Welcome Indostic!

Have a parrot  parrot and a bunny

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
     Reply #19 - June 29, 2014, 11:40 PM

Welcome Indostic, and have a parrot parrot
    Well I must say it's exciting having all these new members signing up especially during the month of Ramadan, strangley enough meeting new CEMB members (esp ex mussies) during this month is probably my favourite thing about Ramadan these days.
    Just one thing, isn't it dangerous to be openly agnostic/atheist in Indonesia, esp from muslim background. Wasn't there an Indonesian guy recently, going by the name of Alex (I think) who was getting all sorts of persecution at a governmental level just for being openly atheist.
    Stay safe.
     Reply #20 - June 30, 2014, 12:01 AM

it seems my ISP banned this web,

Perhaps not.

CEMB had a problem with Chinese spammers and blocked a whole spectrum of Asian IP addresses, including mine in Japan.

I'm neither Japanese nor ex-Muslim, just another human being drawing breath till I die. Welcome.
     Reply #21 - June 30, 2014, 12:11 AM

Nicely said David, nicely said. Smiley
     Reply #22 - June 30, 2014, 05:33 AM

dude i typed a long long long reply and its suddenly disappeared once i click the emoticon :( :( :(
    can anyone help me to solve this problem? i can't access this forum without using proxy :( :(

its frustrating :( :(
     Reply #23 - June 30, 2014, 05:48 AM

Welcome

We are all in different stages and it depends on how easy or difficult our transition was. 

How is it in Indonesia muslims always like to throw it up as all progressive and shyt.

Oh my Christopher Hitchens its a fihrrrrrrrrrrrr
     Reply #24 - June 30, 2014, 06:51 AM

Welcome to the forum i'm sure you will love it here  parrot

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
     Reply #25 - June 30, 2014, 07:02 AM

Welcome!  Friend over from Indonesia telling me some fascinating stories, like people keeping Ramadan for a week and then saying that is enough!

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #26 - June 30, 2014, 09:51 AM

@doubting tomas,

Alex is Padangnese, in Padang Tradition. one cannot deny the existence of Allah since its the fundamental value of the tradition. by denying Allah PUBLICLY (on his facebook), Alex or Aan end up in tradition court and they tried to revert him, and of course aan reverted for safety purpose. since im not a padangnese and currently i live in Jakarta so have no worries about it.

@xiis and yuppy, thanks Smiley Smiley you guys are awsome!

@moi, yes, soo typically of us. some even break their fast by eating pork you know. crazy right? well that's us, Indonesian Muslims hahahaha. Liberalism view of Islam is strong here. you ask any indonesia what madhab do they belong and they wont even know what madhab is. all they know about Islam is they have to pray 5 times a day, do good to others, fast in ramadhan, go to hajj if they able to, and thats all. do they read the Quran? yes in arabic, do they know the meaning? certainly NOT. they're chasing after reward (jannah), not understanding.
     Reply #27 - June 30, 2014, 11:23 AM

"Alex is Padangnese, in Padang Tradition. one cannot deny the existence of Allah since its the fundamental value of the tradition. by denying Allah PUBLICLY (on his facebook), Alex or Aan end up in tradition court and they tried to revert him, and of course aan reverted for safety purpose. since im not a padangnese and currently i live in Jakarta so have no worries about it."

Good to know your safe, apart from Bali, I didn't realise that the religious ruling from region to region varied so much. I have heard it said and correct me if I'm wrong, that a non muslim man (in JK anyway) isn't expected to convert to marry a muslim woman, which is an improvement from most predominantely muslim countries.
     Reply #28 - June 30, 2014, 02:04 PM

The pragmatic attitude actually sounds reasonable and sane!  Another story was about an English convert asking where she could get the full swimming gear and separate swimming areas as she could not understand why everyone was wearing bikinis at the mixed beaches!

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #29 - June 30, 2014, 03:31 PM

@doubting tomas, interfaith marriage is still a hot issue here, even in Jakarta. most non-muslims who wish to marry a muslim whether its woman or man, the non-muslims are socially forced to convert to Islam. but again it depends on the family tradition, but most family in indonesia they dont accept interfaith marriage, including my family lol, therefore if someday im getting married, i have to do it in islamic way, with both family knows me being an atheist.. haha

@moi, well burqini woman is also exist  here, but only few of them. the hijabers (a woman with hijab) won't even think to swim at public pool. usually they have their own pool at their friend's house.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »