Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: 'Islamic State' a.k.a. ISIL

(Read 421939 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 30 31 3233 34 ... 79 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • 'Islamic State' a.k.a. ISIL
     Reply #930 - September 12, 2014, 11:35 PM

I don't know why the US has to bear the majority of the burden for these kinds of interventions, especially when globally everyone ends up benefiting, at least this time around hopefully. I thought this is what the UN was for?

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #931 - September 12, 2014, 11:38 PM

I don't know why the US has to bear the majority of the burden for these kinds of interventions, especially when globally everyone ends up benefiting, at least this time around hopefully. I thought this is what the UN was for?

without wars US POLITICIANS AND THOSE WHO DEPEND on selling weapons for wars will go bank corrupt

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #932 - September 12, 2014, 11:43 PM

Or they could employ their workers and tech and machinery to make other things...

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #933 - September 13, 2014, 12:00 AM

Or they could employ their workers and tech and machinery to make other things...

allahgodjesusgod voodoo doll god forgive..... wait for mother of All wars...

Most Chinese Expect War With Japan  which will drag Americans in to that war..

A majority of Chinese believe their country will go to war with Japan according to a new survey.

On Tuesday the 10th Japan-China Public Opinion Poll was released. The annual survey of public opinion in both countries is jointly conducted by the Japanese non-governmental organization, the Genron NPO, and the Chinese state-run media outlet, China Daily.

The survey found a slight majority of Chinese (53.4 percent) believe that there will be a military conflict with Japan in the future, including 11.2 percent who say that the conflict will be sometime in the next few years. This figure is up slightly from last year, when 52.6 percent of Chinese said there would be a military conflict with Japan in the future, including over 17 percent who said it would happen in the next few years. At the same time, 27.4 percent of Chinese respondents believe there will not be a war with Japan in the future, which is down 5 percent from last year.

Japanese citizens are a lot more optimistic however, with only 29 percent of respondents saying there will be a military conflict with China in the future. This is up however from 23.7 percent who said the same thing last year. Similarly, while 38 percent of Japanese say there will not be a war with China in the future, this is down from the nearly 47 percent of Japanese who said the same thing last year.

Chinese respondents have traditionally identified the United States as the primary security threat to their country. However, the gap between the U.S. and Japan has narrowed considerably over the past year. This is largely because of a significant drop in the number of Chinese respondents who believe the U.S. is a military threat....

Iran Didn’t Create ISIS; We Did  The Baroness Turner of Camden

Reply #934 - September 13, 2014, 07:36 AM

Isn't all this turmoil in the ME, at least partly based on the so-called 'Arab Spring' which began in Tunisia and spread to Egypt, Bahrain, Libya and elsewhere, where citizens wanted reform and more freedom, were beaten back by the security services and the various jihadist groups jumped into the mix to (ahem) "bring stability".

Yup until NATO armed the rebels and helped kill Gaddafi. Look how they left a mess there and affected Mali and Northern Nigeria. Where do you think the likes of AQIM,Islamic insurgents in Mali and Boko Haram got their weapons

I mean at the end of the day, when a man in black is beheading a tied up victim, he must, at some point, be responsible for his own actions, and cant just say "Hey look what Bush and Blair are making me do!".

The Iraq War, for all its mistakes, cannot just be a fall-back excuse for anyone to use to justify atrocities deliberately carried out at their own hands. That WOULD be absolving individuals of their own actions.

Are you fucking kidding me? Look all I know is if Bush,Cheney,Rumsfeld and Blair haven't come out with a fake proof that Saddam Hussein has WMD and if the syrian rebels weren't armed against Assad last year,we wouldn't have witness this shit. You people really amuse me with this bullshit when you trying to ignore US and its allies presence in ME but rather blame everything on "Jihadists" and "Ayrabs because they are "evul". Please spare me your naïve Sam Harris/Bill Maher like analysis and save it for the audience that will be entertained

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #935 - September 13, 2014, 07:56 AM

...........blame everything on "Jihadists" and "Ayrabs because they are "evul". Please spare me your naïve Sam Harris/Bill Maher like analysis and save it for the audience that will be entertained...............

cool down and delete some words Cato ... you are upset and you have every right to get upset

Yes Jihadi Baboons that are trained in this Mullah Mosqeism   are evil in every way and at all times..    rest we can question, discuss, debate and even change them...

• Re: 'Islamic State' a.k.a. ISIL
     Reply #936 - September 13, 2014, 08:02 AM

cool down and delete some words Cato ... you are upset and you have every right to get upset

Yes Jihadi Baboons that are trained in this Mullah Mosqeism   are evil in every way and at all times..    rest we can question, discuss, debate and even change them...

I'm just sick of hearing people that use only anti-theistic shades to analyse geopolitical conflicts in Middle East which includes an attempt to absolve West from this.

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #937 - September 13, 2014, 08:24 AM

I'm just sick of hearing people that use only anti-theistic shades to analyse geopolitical conflicts in Middle East which includes an attempt to absolve West from this.

That is the reason  you and me write/discuss/debate  in  forums like this one. "TO FIND THE CURE to those who use anti-theistic shades to analyze geopolitical conflicts & TO FIND  THE CURE to  those who use  theism in geopolitical conflicts"

but we  have to realize the fact  that  theism in politics from different religions is the reason why we have terrible conflicts all over the globe specially after 2nd world war.  And role of  heroes with Islamic mindset is NOT negligible in propagating regimes in Islamic world as well as murdering them. West happily exploiting this theism in politics since 2nd world war to control the natural resources all over so-called 3rd world countries ..

Atheist debates/discussions/  are different from what politicians/religious politics  do for the sake political power

Reply #938 - September 13, 2014, 08:38 AM

I agree

I'm just merely pointing out that people have legitimate reason to blame the West for helping contribute the shitstorm going on in Middle East.

Reply #939 - September 13, 2014, 08:49 AM

Jesus, Cato. Calm down, bro. It's safe to blame jihadists for the actions of jihadists. Of course, the U.S. and friends carry the blame for destabilising Iraq and hence creating an environment where these mofos could thrive. That doesn't take away from the fact that some two-bit British rapper cutting off a journalists' head with a small knife is not a poor victim of Western imperialism and is responsible for his actions. 

Reply #940 - September 13, 2014, 08:55 AM

The UN doesn't have an army. The U.S. usually leads UN-supported interventions but they usually go in with NATO and other allies. It's always the U.S. that takes most of the burden because no other country has the global force projection and military might the U.S. has. Not even close. Just look at their military spending in comparison to the rest of the world. 

Right. So obviously the US and its allies should go in again, because it worked so well last time, right?

And the people "mostly responsible" for the shit are the people who are actually doing it.

Anyway, the Arab states could easily manage IS if they wanted to.

Are you kidding? The Arab armies are a joke. Just a couple of years ago, Bahrain had to have Saudi Arabia invade to quell protests in Bahrain. They needed foreign intervention to suppress domestic protests. Like, how lame is that? I hear Jordan's intelligence and military are pretty good, not too sure about Egypt, but the Gulf sheikhdoms' militaries are a joke. And the Lebanese, Syrian and Iraqi armies are currently battling ISIL (can I still call them ISIS? It sounds cooler than ISIL). 

Overall, I'm not sure where I stand on American intervention here. 
  • Re: 'Islamic State' a.k.a. ISIL
     Reply #941 - September 13, 2014, 08:58 AM

Jesus, Cato. Calm down, bro. It's safe to blame jihadists for the actions of jihadists. Of course, the U.S. and friends carry the blame for destabilising Iraq and hence creating an environment where these mofos could thrive. That doesn't take away from the fact that some two-bit British rapper cutting off a journalists' head with a small knife is not a poor victim of Western imperialism and is responsible for his actions. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying excuse the Islamic militants like how others are trying to shift total blame away from the West but rather hold both of them accountable for the shit going on which affects the civilians that are trapped in the midst.  

Reply #942 - September 13, 2014, 12:25 PM

“I think (IS) were more afraid of us than of the men,” she says, adding that she thinks “they believe they'll go to hell if they die at a woman's hands”.

While Tekoshin says she fights best with her Kalashnikov assault rifle, Saria, 18, shyly says she feels equally comfortable with both light and heavy machineguns and sniper rifles. Saria grew up in northern Syria, and her two brothers and her sister are currently fighting against IS there, she says, adding that both her parents were in the PKK.

You go girls.... SEND THE ROGUES TO HELL........

well that news is   from here

Reply #943 - September 13, 2014, 01:44 PM

Germany bans "La illaha illa Allah" - well, in certain contexts, that is:

Germany officially bans terror group Isis (thelocal.de)

Defence minister Thomas de Mazière announced the ban on flying Isis flags, wearing Isis symbols and all Isis activities at a press conference on Friday morning.

"The terror organisation Islamic State is a threat to public safety in Germany as well," de Mazière said.  "We are resolutely confronting this threat today.

"Today's ban is directed solely against terrorists who abuse religion for their criminal goals," he added. "Germany is a well-fortified democracy, there's no place here for a terrorist organisation which opposes the constitutional order as well as the notion of international understanding."

The move will also ban donations to the group, recruiting fighters, holding Isis meetings and distributing its propaganda.

Wolfgang Bosbach, from Chancellor Angela Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union (CDU), told broadcaster ARD on Friday morning that the government had been looking at a ban for some time.

The ban, however, doesn’t mean Isis has been outlawed as a foreign terrorist organization, as a court judgement is needed to do that.

De Mazière's announcement was backed by German police union DPolG. Chairman Rainer Wendt described the ban as "right and necessary". "It would be cynical and irresponsible if we showed tolerance in this situation," Wendt added, warning that otherwise Isis supporters may fly flags on German streets.

It comes as the CIA announced that Isis had around 30,000 fighters in Iraq and Syria. Several hundred Germans are also in their ranks.

It is unclear whether Isis has any organizational structure in Germany, but young Germans are being recruited by Salafists, who believe in an extreme form of Islam, to fight for the jihadists in Syria and Iraq. Last week, two were stopped at the German-Austrian border.

A trial also begins on Monday of a 20-year-old in Frankfurt am Main accused of being a member of Isis.

The man, named as Kreshnik B., allegedly travelled to Syria through Turkey and fought against President Bashar Al-Assad’s troops from July 2013 to December 2013.

He was arrested on his return to Germany in December in Frankfurt.

Prosecutors said on the charge sheet that Kreshnik was trained by ISIS in weapons and fighting before joining battles for them.

According to the Frankfurter Allegmeine Zeitung, he was radicalized in the city by Islamic clerics.

Friday's Isis ban is part of a series of measures being taken by the government against the extremists. Weapons and aid have been flown to Kurds fighting the terror group in northern Iraq, but on Thursday Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier ruled out German participation in American-led airstrikes against Isis positions in Syria.

That was echoed by Chancellor Merkel's spokeswoman on Friday, who told Reuters that while Germany is concerned for the stability of the region, it will not take part in military strikes.

Other countries to officially ban Isis activities are the Netherlands, UK, and the world's biggest Muslim country, Indonesia.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #944 - September 13, 2014, 08:37 PM

Are you kidding? The Arab armies are a joke. Just a couple of years ago, Bahrain had to have Saudi Arabia invade to quell protests in Bahrain. They needed foreign intervention to suppress domestic protests. Like, how lame is that? I hear Jordan's intelligence and military are pretty good, not too sure about Egypt, but the Gulf sheikhdoms' militaries are a joke. And the Lebanese, Syrian and Iraqi armies are currently battling ISIL (can I still call them ISIS? It sounds cooler than ISIL).

The Saudi and Egyptian militaries are pretty capable in theory, if they ever decide to do anything.

Anyway, the US is saying that it wants the Arab nations onside with this thing. They aren't going to do it otherwise, because they know what will happen: the Arab nations will just sit around and then blame everything on the US.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #945 - September 13, 2014, 08:42 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying excuse the Islamic militants like how others are trying to shift total blame away from the West but rather hold both of them accountable for the shit going on which affects the civilians that are trapped in the midst.  

I think everyone here knows the Iraq war was a total fuckup and should never have gone ahead. This is largely why I'm worried about this next glorious Coalition Of The Willing By Another Name. It has the potential to go all kinds of wrong.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #946 - September 14, 2014, 06:48 AM

I feel there's a lot of support for this intervention now but as soon as you get the first civilian casualties, we're gonna be back to "death to America", "the crusaders killing Muslims again" yada yada.

The Saudi and Egyptian militaries are pretty capable in theory, if they ever decide to do anything.

The Saudi military is capable in theory in the sense of having numbers and top of the line American equipment/weapons but from what I've read they have a serious problem with nepotism and incompetence. As in, some prince who is a dolt would be given a top position for no reason other than being a prince. And there's lots of laziness, no discipline, and a lot of just not giving a fuck. 

Anyway, the US is saying that it wants the Arab nations onside with this thing. They aren't going to do it otherwise, because they know what will happen: the Arab nations will just sit around and then blame everything on the US.

I think the U.S. will be blamed either way. After all, they did fuck Iraq then sorta by proxy empower ISIS in Syria. The Arab states are definitely going to be involved but the U.S. is going to have a huge role. The Arab countries also participated in Gulf War I but there's no question about who did the bulk of the heavy lifting. It'll probably be similar here. 

Reply #947 - September 14, 2014, 09:09 AM

David Haines with his 2nd child

That is another victim of these ISLAMIC ROGUES..  

Islamic State militants released a video on social media on Saturday they said showed the beheading of British aid worker David Haines.  In the video produced by ISIS' media wing and posted on Twitter, a masked militant with a British-sounding accent addresses U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron, before appearing to behead Haines.  Following the pattern of the previous videos, the clip begins with news footage of Cameron discussing his policy towards the militant group, before showing Haines kneeling in the sand, wearing an orange jumpsuit, as he makes a statement. The militant warns Britain will be dragged into "another bloody and unwinnable war" for helping to arm the Kurdish Peshmerga force battling the group in Iraq.

The man later threatens another hostage, who also appears in the video, saying he is British national Alan Henning.

David Cawthorne Haines (1970 – c. 13 September 2014)[28] was a British aid worker that was captured by ISIL in early 2013, and later executed by beheading in early September 2014.[29] Haines was born in East Yorkshire, moving to Perth, Scotland as a child and prior to his capture resided near Zagreb, Croatia[30] as a father of two.[31][28][32] Haines had been an aircraft engineer in the Royal Air Force before turning to work in humanitarian aid in 1999.[33] He had helped victims of conflict in the Balkans, Africa and the Middle East. In 2012, he was an unarmed security worker for Nonviolent Peaceforce, a civilian peacekeeping group in South Sudan.[34]

Haines was abducted in March of 2013 by ISIL while he was working in Syria for the aid group, ACTED, assessing refugee camp locations in the north of the country. He was kidnapped near the Atmeh refugee camp near the Turkish border and the Syrian province of Idlib.[28] He was seized along with an Italian aid worker and two Syrians who have since been freed.[28] The Syrian translator who was with Haines, now freed, claimed that insurgents shot out the tires and surrounded their vehicle on a country road.[35] Haines' family requested that his abduction be kept a secret.[36] The abduction became public when Haines appeared in the Sotloff execution video, being held by Jihadi John who threaned that Haines would be the next victim

Reply #948 - September 14, 2014, 11:35 AM

15 Year-Old German Girl Runs Away to Join Jihad in Syria   says news[/u]]15 Year-Old German Girl Runs Away to Join Jihad in Syria   says news

A young Muslim girl aged 15 from Konstantz, Germany has run away from home to fight in Syria. She forged her father's signature to obtain her passport and travelled to Syria where she married a German jihadi from Cologne. She and her husband, aged 16 are now living in Syria where he is fighting in an Al Qaeda-linked rebel group.

In a letter to her friends, Sara told them she was now in Syria with Al Qaeda. On social media, she said that she had come to help her husband in his struggle.

Sara, whose last  name is unknown, left Germany over the winter school holidays and vanished after setting out for Syria. She married her husband on January 4. German authorities suspect that they have joined the jihadis in Aleppo, where they are believed to be fighting for ISIS (Islamic Sate in Iraq and Syria), the jihadi group that was expelled from Al Qaeda for what was deemed as excessive brutality and refusal to obey orders.

The regional criminal investigation office in Stuttgart said it has been established that she has been trained in the use of weapons.

Sara belonged to the hardline sect of Islam known as Salafism. Many Salafi girls both in Germany and other countries in Europe seek to marry jihad fighters, as it is regarded as a very holy and noble cause.

It seems that she did not go to Syria specifically to get married, but rather because she believed in the ideals of jihad and was ready to fight.  Her husband had been arrested in the past, before they were married, for attacking a police patrol car and attempting to steal their firearms. When asked why, he said that he wanted to "kill americans."

The news was reported in the Palestinian owned, pan-Arab London based daily Al-Quds Al-Arabi, which translates as Arab Jerusalem. It has a reputation as one of the most aggressive and populist pan-Arab daily papers.

great.. everything has connection  to London and everything is connected to LONDON ISLAM with that Al-Quds Al-Arabi,

Well for every Jihadi  the slogans appears to be "kill americans." .. It s like "Hail Hitler" brain wash..

What do these 17 year old fools know about these religious geopolitical problems to join these rogues of Islam and ruin their lives..  

Reply #949 - September 14, 2014, 01:24 PM

*swoon* so romantic!

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #950 - September 14, 2014, 06:40 PM

Brutal Murder of  David Haines >,     Islamic Heroes And PM of Britain.,    'hunt down' IS killers    says news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISBL5s7COAs

OK....
    The UK will take "whatever steps are necessary" to keep safe after a video showing the killing of hostage David Haines was issued by Islamic State militants, the prime minister has said. David Cameron said the UK would "hunt down" the killers of the aid worker, whom he called a "British hero".

He said the "menace" of IS had to be destroyed in a "calm, deliberate" way. In the video, IS also threatened to kill a second Briton, who has been named as Alan Henning, 47.

Mr Henning, a married father-of-two from Salford, worked as a taxi driver and was a volunteer on an aid convoy.
    'Despicable killing'

Speaking at Downing Street after a meeting of the UK emergency committee Cobra, Mr Cameron said of IS, also known as Isil and Isis, "they are not Muslims, they are monsters". "We will do everything in our power to hunt down these murderers and ensure they face justice, however long it takes."

Yes... Islam is religion of Peace....  and those rogues in Islam are not Muslims., Yes..   we can do that,  We can make it as religion  of peace     by deleting some words of in Quran hadith..   AND BY DELETING SOME PREACHERS and Their followers in some mosques..  

Reply #951 - September 14, 2014, 06:50 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBgBndahNLo

Dr. Omar Gabbar speaks about David Haines   David Haines: aid worker who traveled from war zone to war zone

Muslim should put up pictures  of   those reporters who were killed by these Brutal Rogues of Islam in mosques and Pray  in front of them ..

Reply #952 - September 15, 2014, 12:27 AM

I feel there's a lot of support for this intervention now but as soon as you get the first civilian casualties, we're gonna be back to "death to America", "the crusaders killing Muslims again" yada yada.

The Saudi military is capable in theory in the sense of having numbers and top of the line American equipment/weapons but from what I've read they have a serious problem with nepotism and incompetence. As in, some prince who is a dolt would be given a top position for no reason other than being a prince. And there's lots of laziness, no discipline, and a lot of just not giving a fuck. 

I think the U.S. will be blamed either way. After all, they did fuck Iraq then sorta by proxy empower ISIS in Syria. The Arab states are definitely going to be involved but the U.S. is going to have a huge role. The Arab countries also participated in Gulf War I but there's no question about who did the bulk of the heavy lifting. It'll probably be similar here. 

The equipment of the KSA is not top of the line. Much of the systems within say an f-16 are stripped of components which are used in the USAF.  These are replaced by older or inferior technology which KSA has access to. The KSA buys the "frame" not the bells and whistles. Also the KSA military has not fought a war on it's own for years. When it has they called for America to help which took the leading role and provides the majority of the forces. Many Muslim nation's military can not even compete in wargames against nations like Greece.
     Reply #953 - September 15, 2014, 12:42 AM

Denmark introduces rehab for Syrian fighters

An innovative rehabilitation programme offers Danish fighters in Syria an escape route and help without prosecution.

Aarhus, Denmark - An innovative rehabilitation programme is offering Danish Muslims in Syria an escape route from the conflict zone and help getting their lives back on track without the threat of prosecution.

The programme, a collaboration between welfare services and police in Aarhus, Denmark's second largest city, offers treatment for shrapnel and gunshot wounds and psychological trauma to returning fighters and humanitarian volunteers as well as assisting them with finding work or resuming their education.

The programme also provides support to the families of those already in Syria, ranging from helping them stay in touch via Skype to liaising with government officials, consulates and intelligence agencies to help get their relatives home when they decide they want to leave.

The scheme offers an alternative approach to the latest tough measures unveiled this week in the UK, where returning Britons already faced likely arrest and the threat of prosecution on terrorism charges.

David Cameron, the British prime minister, on Monday gave police additional powers to confiscate passports and place restrictions on suspected extremists, as well as announcing moves to ban British citizens deemed to pose a threat to national security from returning to the UK.

Last month Boris Johnson, the mayor of London, said returnees from Iraq and Syria should be presumed guilty of involvement in terrorism unless they could prove otherwise.

But Steffen Nielsen, a crime prevention advisor and part of a multi-agency task force tackling radicalisation and discrimination in Aarhus, said authorities there have instead adopted a "soft-hands approach" and were providing help to about 10 out of 15 people who had returned from Syria.

"We are actually embracing them when they come home. Unlike in England, where maybe you're interned for a week while they figure out who you are, we say 'Do you need any help?'" Nielsen told Al Jazeera.

While accepting that some returnees did pose a threat that would require security services to "kick down doors", Nielsen said most needed support to recover from an often terrifying and demoralising ordeal.

"A lot of guys who come home have experienced a loss of innocence and some sort of loss of moral belief. They thought they were going down there for a good cause. And what they found was thugs who are decapitating women and children and raping and killing people, and everything smells and you've got diarrhoea from drinking the water and it's not the great cosmic battle for al-Sham that you'd imagined."

Denmark's PET intelligence agency estimates that more than 100 people have gone to Syria since the war began in 2011, and that at least 15 have died. It said in June that a "significant number" of Danes had acquired "specific military skills as a result of training and participation in combat operations" which could be used to carry out terror attacks.

Police in Aarhus believe they include about 30 people from the city. Danish media reported in July on the death of a local teenager alleged to have been fighting with Islamic State while another local man, a 21-year-old white Danish convert, is believed to have carried out a suicide bombing in Iraq earlier this year.

But Nielsen remains sceptical about how many have been involved in serious fighting and said most who had returned appeared to have travelled to participate in humanitarian work.

He is wary of pictures posted on social media of supposed foreign fighters posing with weapons, suspecting that few graduate to the frontline. Those that did were not the ones coming home, he added.

"The intelligence service says more than 100 people have gone to Syria and their definition is always that they have gone there to fight. But we don't know if they are fighting, and we suspect that the intelligence service doesn't know either."

Nielsen said the programme's separation from the work of the security services and police investigators was critical to its credibility and ability to build relationships in Aarhus' Muslim communities.

"We are very upfront. If we have very clear information that you have fertiliser in the basement then we will pass that on. Otherwise we have a principle that no information goes to the secret service because we can't work with people if they think we are passing on information."

Comfort is key

The programme has also proved effective in stemming the flow of volunteers to Syria by reaching out to leaders of a controversial local mosque linked in the Danish media to 22 people who travelled there last year. Since then, just one person is believed to have followed them.

"They had to decide whether they wanted to talk to us or reject us and they chose to talk. Kudos to them," said Nielsen. "We said, we think it should be handled like this. Young people without any training shouldn't be going to Syria. People from Denmark are not equipped to handle themselves in a conflict zone."

Oussama El Saadi, chairman of the Grimhojvej mosque, said leaders of the mosque were supportive of the approach taken by the local authorities.

"We think this is the right way," El Saadi told Al Jazeera. "Not blaming them and making them feel that they have done a terrible thing and losing contact with them. This is also our approach. Don't make them feel that they have done something wrong. Give them an opportunity to come back and tell what they have experienced."

While the UK's latest package of counter-terrorism measures includes compulsory participation in a de-radicalisation programme for those deemed to hold radical beliefs, Nielsen said Aarhus' scheme was voluntary and did not address issues of ideology.

"We don't spend a lot of energy fighting ideology. We don't try to take away your jihadist beliefs. You are welcome to dream of the Caliphate. But there are some means that you cannot use according to the penal code here. You can be al-Shabab all you like, as long as you don't actually do al-Shabab."

'Trial and error'

Mehdi Mozaffari, an expert on Islamism and radicalisation at Aarhus University, said he welcomed efforts to help young Muslims in the city at risk of being drawn into violence.

But he said work was needed more widely in Denmark to promote democratic values in marginalised communities and to integrate young Muslims and called for a coherent European Union-wide strategy to tackle the threat posed by Islamic extremism.

"It is positive. Every attempt to keep them out of terrorism and war is welcome," Mozaffari told Al Jazeera. "There is a need for decisive initiatives but I don't think this kind of small project will radically change the situation and nothing guarantees that it will be a success."

Nielsen accepts that much of the work being done in Aarhus is "trial and error", describing the city as a "petri dish" for new methods. He said much of the programme had been developed when Jabhat al-Nusra was still the dominant rebel faction, with the rapid rise of Islamic State posing new dangers and greater uncertainty for Danes involved in the conflict.

"It has made communication easier. Islamic State is so openly violent that it has made it easier for us to say, look, these guys are crazy, these guys do outrageous stuff. You are the one who risk being maimed and used in fighting against other rebels instead of Assad's forces. But at the same time, their success makes them more appealing to some young people."

Danish authorities are also coming under increasing political pressure to take a tougher approach, with police on Wednesday arresting the head of an aid charity accused of raising money for Islamic State, and leaders of right-wing parties calling on the government to create powers to strip Danes who travel to Syria of their citizenship.

"We are experiencing more political pressure to do something more like the British stuff," said Nielsen. "The entire political debate is rife with simplifications. You can choose to shut them out and say okay, you chose to be a jihadist, we can't use you anymore. Or you can take the inclusive way and say, okay, there is always a door if you want to be a contributing member to society. Not because we are nice people, but because we think that is what works."

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #954 - September 15, 2014, 08:22 AM

not only those fools., every one blind believer needs  some sort of rehab..

ISIS executes eight Sunnis in northern Iraq  says news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaVqrN5jcTU

THAT IS A BRUTAL SHOOTING OF ANY ONE WHO QUESTIONS THESE ISLAMIC ROGUES

BAGHDAD: ISIS militants publicly executed eight Sunni men in a small northern Iraqi village at the weekend for allegedly plotting against the group, an eyewitness from the village told Reuters Sunday.

The killing began on Friday night when a pair of masked ISIS gunmen openly murdered a police officer in Al-Jumasah village after the militant group accused him of spying for the Kurdish and Iraqi military forces, the witness said.

The ISIS fighters gathered local residents to watch the execution in the village, about 120 km north of Tikrit.

"Islamic State members said that this is the fate of anyone who opposes them," the witness said. "They presented as evidence CDs and copies of the man's correspondences with the security forces."

After the police officer was executed, a small armed group opened fire in revenge on the house of an ISIS officer

Reply #955 - September 15, 2014, 02:56 PM

Sorry but I am completely against the idea of rehab for combatants. We do not let citizens off with rehab when they slaughter people locally, we should not do so for those that do it internationally. If a person is motivated enough to leave their home nation, travel across the planet and join people slaughtering civilians they know full well what they are doing. Each person should be judged according to the Geneva Convention. If they are innocent of war crimes then allow them into the program. If guilty then prison or death
     Reply #956 - September 15, 2014, 03:09 PM

Bogart, who's the "we" you're talking about here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algerian_Civil_Concord_referendum,_1999

Wink

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #957 - September 15, 2014, 07:06 PM

Bogart did say: "If they are innocent of war crimes then allow them into the program."

But what if 'Jihadi John' changes his mind and decides to turn state's evidence and rat on ISIS. Will he get a shorter sentence?

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #958 - September 15, 2014, 07:20 PM

Does anyone with an extensive knowledge of the history of the spread of Islam from its beginnings, think that Isis' activities have any similarities with the expansion of Islam as the so-called 'prophet mohammed' and his  goons 'companions'  intended or carried out?

In other words, do you think that this is how Islam originally established itself, by beheadings and rape of slave women etc. Are the killings and punishments meted out by ISIS, accurate with regards to the quranic scriptures and hadiths?

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #959 - September 15, 2014, 07:25 PM

Most probably Adey, at least with the accepted history etcetera.

Caravan raids, slave taking, sex slavery yada yada.
  • Previous page 1 ... 30 31 3233 34 ... 79 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »