Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Women are not precious diamonds!

(Read 13353 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Women are not precious diamonds!
     Reply #30 - May 19, 2014, 07:05 PM

Then it's no longer about self-expression and choice of style, as Cubic zirconia looks almost identical to diamond. It's about flaunt of wealth and attention seeking.
     Reply #31 - May 19, 2014, 07:07 PM

No. It's about wanting a real diamond. Grin
     Reply #32 - May 19, 2014, 07:31 PM

^Unlike gold, diamonds have little resale and investment value.

I don't really care anyway. If people want to waste thousands of dollars on diamonds, then it's their choice.

However, this topic has made me curious on jewellery. I wonder what the evolutionary reasons are on why people crave luxury items.
     Reply #33 - May 19, 2014, 08:00 PM

When I was a muslim it used to be nice to think I was like a diamond.  Precious in some way, in a world that had never made me feel precious in anyway.  A way to make myself have some value, since my vagina devalued me.

I see how ridiculous that all is now of course, but it did give me some comfort back then.

It always seems like women are being pacified in this way in Islam, and I know many other Muslim women who are proud of these comparisons, as well. That the women are precious, are gems, are treasure, a pearl in the shell, et cetera. My in-laws and husband have an endless supply of things like that: the women are the heart of the home, the house without a woman is empty, paradise is at the feet of the mothers, and I swear we take care of our women and love our women and respect our women more than you do in the West, so on and so forth; just really polishing that cage, man.

And it's not hard at all to buy into it when you're a Muslim woman. Even I sometimes spoke proudly of it, sometimes mistaking those power plays, like many of the Muslim men did, for respect and love.
     Reply #34 - May 19, 2014, 08:08 PM

it gives them a sense of self worth, opposed to the alternative of admitting they are merely their mans shadows

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
  • Re: Women are not precious diamonds!
     Reply #35 - May 19, 2014, 08:12 PM

Then it's no longer about self-expression and choice of style, as Cubic zirconia looks almost identical to diamond. It's about flaunt of wealth and attention seeking.

For whom?

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #36 - May 20, 2014, 06:22 AM

^I have no interest in discussing this any more, so let me make my final statement very clear.

Moissanite is a synthetic gemstone, Silicon Carbide (SiC). It looks awfully similar to diamonds and is much cheaper. It's superior to diamond.

As you can see, Moissanite is better in almost every category, yet costs a fraction of what a diamond does.  It even looks better and is more lustrous. It's pretty much better than diamond, only it doesn't have the name "diamond". The value of diamond for jewellery is an illusion, made by DeBeers.

What's particularly more irksome is that lab made diamonds which are identical to mined diamonds cost less, yet people still buy mined diamonds as they are "natural".

Because of the high cost with little value, wearing diamonds, especially mined "natural" diamonds, when a superior and cheaper product is available, is a flaunt of wealth. It has nothing to do with self-expression.
     Reply #37 - May 20, 2014, 07:40 AM

What is it about jewellery that makes you like it? Is it the appearance? I'm genuinely curious.

It's the odd little thing really. For the most part I don't pay jewellery any mind, however every now and then I come across something I find attractive, so wear it for that reason, just as I wear the coat I wear because I find the coat pleasing to me.
    That's fine I suppose, but my question remains.

Why does it have to be expensive diamond that you must wear, or gold?

Personally I'm not a fan of either gold or diamond, I much prefer silver, garnet, ruby, emerald, etc. For instance one ring I have, silver with a garnet gem. I find the style of it, the look, very attractive, and enjoy how the gem will catch the light with my movements. There's no reason for wearing it other than that I like it, same reason I'm in the habit of painting my nails.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #38 - May 20, 2014, 07:49 AM

However, this topic has made me curious on jewellery. I wonder what the evolutionary reasons are on why people crave luxury items.

Jewellery, as far as I'm aware, first evolved for purpose of identification, to mark each other as friend or foe during the pre-stone age era (imagine someone comes seeking shelter in the same cave you're in, you can look at the shells or whatever around their necks to get a sense of who they are) and then took off on that basis, from people who wished to frighten or impress wearing the teeth or wolves, tigers, etc to Kings wearing crowns. It's an evolution that took off pretty much since the beginning. Flaunting wealth is a very natural thing to do from an evolutionary standpoint, many creatures will seek to impress.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #39 - May 20, 2014, 08:25 AM

It always seems like women are being pacified in this way in Islam, and I know many other Muslim women who are proud of these comparisons, as well. That the women are precious, are gems, are treasure, a pearl in the shell, et cetera. My in-laws and husband have an endless supply of things like that: the women are the heart of the home, the house without a woman is empty, paradise is at the feet of the mothers, and I swear we take care of our women and love our women and respect our women more than you do in the West, so on and so forth; just really polishing that cage, man.

And it's not hard at all to buy into it when you're a Muslim woman. Even I sometimes spoke proudly of it, sometimes mistaking those power plays, like many of the Muslim men did, for respect and love.

Yep.  Just as simple as that.  It's all about making that cage look pretty.

Worst part is, now that I am out of...and have been out of it for so many years, I feel such frustration when younger girls on my fb, still swallow all this crap...and argue with me about how glorified they are by Islam.

I mean I get how much they need to believe that, and of course I did too, once, a long time ago.  I just find it hard to be patient with them, even though they deserve that much patience.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #40 - May 20, 2014, 08:27 AM

I don't wear jewelry very often as i have red head pale pink skin that doesnt flatter gold and diamonds, personally i dont care for real dianonds, but i guess people choose precious stones and metals over cheap alternative because they reflect more light and sparkle brighter hence look more attractive..  evolutionary reasons ??  i guess our eyes are attracted to anything pretty, pretty flowers, scenic views, pretty people, nice diamonds lol..  oh and vanity..
     Reply #41 - May 20, 2014, 08:55 AM

@Descent- It's just that people believe that diamonds are better that people prefer it. I wouldn't receive much adoration if i wear an 'Accurist' watch, but will have people admire me for a 'Chanel'. Of course the latter will be better in many aspects like quality but it is all about impression and fixed mindset.
     Reply #42 - May 20, 2014, 12:29 PM

i have red head pale pink skin

You and me both sister. We're not the freaks of society, everyone else is, and we will treat them like the dark skinned rats that they are. Now go! Out, into the night! And do not stop until the blood of every none ginger child is spilled! Red Power!

Reply #43 - May 20, 2014, 12:45 PM

You and me both sister. We're not the freaks of society, ....  

There is nothing wrong  with freaks Quod Sum Eris., Again here also golden rule works.,  Freaks with golden rule in their life are as good as any one on this earth.

and one of my wish is "Everyone in CEMB deserves someone who makes them look forward to tomorrow"

incidentally that "some one" need NOT be a person..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #44 - May 20, 2014, 04:04 PM

You and me both sister. We're not the freaks of society, everyone else is, and we will treat them like the dark skinned rats that they are. Now go! Out, into the night! And do not stop until the blood of every none ginger child is spilled! Red Power!

lol funny...  Smiley       

on a brighter note, can't actually wait for summer to top up my sunburn  :(

xooooo

Reply #45 - May 20, 2014, 04:07 PM

Join me in the shadows. Grin

Reply #46 - May 20, 2014, 04:16 PM

.. Yep thats where i lurk lol in dark shadows..  i could always degress back into niqab wacko  : )

xxooo
     Reply #47 - May 20, 2014, 04:21 PM

I'd want to wear a burka or something in the summer except I'd pass out from the heat. Have to be naked under it. Which wouldn't go well if someone took my honest need to cover as islamophobia and tried to rip it off me. Or if an EDL type took me for a muslim and tried to rip it off me. Either way, as soon as the rays hit my naked body you'd smell bacon within seconds.

I want bacon...

Reply #48 - May 20, 2014, 06:19 PM

ha ha so true, summer times in hijab my skin resembled a pig wrapped in cloth.. Suuuch beauty lol..  we got brown, red, yellow, white man, the quran forgot to mention pink ginger man lol  : /  wacko   

xo
     Reply #49 - May 20, 2014, 06:25 PM

Honestly i never truly minded the hijaab, but i was one of those stylish hijabis

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
     Reply #50 - May 20, 2014, 06:34 PM

ha ha so true, summer times in hijab my skin resembled a pig wrapped in cloth.. Suuuch beauty lol..  we got brown, red, yellow, white man, the quran forgot to mention pink ginger man lol  : /  wacko   

xo

I'm vampire pale until I hit sunlight. Then I look like a cooked lobster. Also, just remembered I was going to PM you something, so I shall now look for it.

Reply #51 - May 20, 2014, 09:33 PM

Worst part is, now that I am out of...and have been out of it for so many years, I feel such frustration when younger girls on my fb, still swallow all this crap...and argue with me about how glorified they are by Islam.

I mean I get how much they need to believe that, and of course I did too, once, a long time ago.  I just find it hard to be patient with them, even though they deserve that much patience.

Definitely know how you feel. It's such a frustrating thing to see that I tend to try to avoid the conversation completely, my tolerance for it is too low.
     Reply #52 - May 21, 2014, 10:44 AM

I'm vampire pale until I hit sunlight. Then I look like a cooked lobster. Also, just remembered I was going to PM you something, so I shall now look for it.

missed this, did you find it  ? what was the pm about lol  ?
     Reply #53 - May 22, 2014, 11:02 PM

Point is, all woman AND men should be valuable. Why should that quote only be relevant depending on how much skin a woman shows. So clearly the only thing valuable is the breast and vagina not the actual person.

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #54 - May 23, 2014, 08:10 PM

Diamonds aren't even rare, they're artificially controlled by a single company to be "rare" but in truth you can find them all over Africa.

Gold is what is truly rare.

Ash'hadu An La Ilaha - I bare witness that there is no God.

Reply #55 - May 23, 2014, 08:19 PM

Women aren't "rare", we constitute half of the world's population. I think it is absurd to claim that you should keep half the world's population "in hiding". Its bizarre. Uurgghh, when I try and picture Islamic shariah dictating every corner of the world, I see nothing but suffering and backwardness. It's scary.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #56 - May 23, 2014, 09:11 PM

I've thought about writing a dystopic sci-fi story based on such a concept.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #57 - May 23, 2014, 11:42 PM

Please do write that story, I really want to read it.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #58 - May 25, 2014, 11:56 AM

Because of the high cost with little value, wearing diamonds, especially mined "natural" diamonds, when a superior and cheaper product is available, is a flaunt of wealth. It has nothing to do with self-expression.

Maybe it will be true if you say it enough times.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #59 - May 25, 2014, 01:05 PM

Jewellery, as far as I'm aware, first evolved for purpose of identification, to mark each other as friend or foe during the pre-stone age era (imagine someone comes seeking shelter in the same cave you're in, you can look at the shells or whatever around their necks to get a sense of who they are) and then took off on that basis, from people who wished to frighten or impress wearing the teeth or wolves, tigers, etc to Kings wearing crowns. It's an evolution that took off pretty much since the beginning. Flaunting wealth is a very natural thing to do from an evolutionary standpoint, many creatures will seek to impress.

@Descent- It's just that people believe that diamonds are better that people prefer it. I wouldn't receive much adoration if i wear an 'Accurist' watch, but will have people admire me for a 'Chanel'. Of course the latter will be better in many aspects like quality but it is all about impression and fixed mindset.

It's the odd little thing really. For the most part I don't pay jewellery any mind, however every now and then I come across something I find attractive, so wear it for that reason, just as I wear the coat I wear because I find the coat pleasing to me.Personally I'm not a fan of either gold or diamond, I much prefer silver, garnet, ruby, emerald, etc. For instance one ring I have, silver with a garnet gem. I find the style of it, the look, very attractive, and enjoy how the gem will catch the light with my movements. There's no reason for wearing it other than that I like it, same reason I'm in the habit of painting my nails.

I don't wear jewelry very often as i have red head pale pink skin that doesnt flatter gold and diamonds, personally i dont care for real dianonds, but i guess people choose precious stones and metals over cheap alternative because they reflect more light and sparkle brighter hence look more attractive..  evolutionary reasons ??  i guess our eyes are attracted to anything pretty, pretty flowers, scenic views, pretty people, nice diamonds lol..  oh and vanity..

Very well, this all sounds reasonable. Perhaps it's just me who's not into the whole idea.

I therefore retract my comment on the uselessness of jewellery. There seems to be several reasons for people's desire to wear them such as to stand out. Also, studies show different colours result in different emotional and behavioural responses. I would imagine gems with high refractive index would amaze some.

Quote from: Ishina
    Maybe it will be true if you say it enough times.

Proof by assertion. Grin
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »