Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Women are not precious diamonds!

(Read 13351 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Women are not precious diamonds!
     OP - May 18, 2014, 01:48 PM

Everytime I hear this i want to throw-up in my mouth. So I had to make this in response.

And I mean if you are going to compared to a diamond, compare yourself to a diamond's strength and durability, not it's value.
     finmad Ok I'm done, got that out of my system.

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #1 - May 18, 2014, 01:50 PM

To those Muslimahs who consider themselves precious pearls or lollipops- So the Muslim men are naked bodies or stones on the road?
     Reply #2 - May 18, 2014, 03:24 PM

Oh, I hate the diamond analogy; it makes my blood boil finmad It's blatant objectification masquerading as respect. My response is always that diamonds are inanimate objects which are intrinsically useless and are coveted by people for their beauty and decorative value. They are literally objects. Are you telling me that women are objects, with no feelings, desires or thoughts of their own, and whose only value is in how "shiny" they are?
     Reply #3 - May 18, 2014, 03:25 PM

Yes they are according to Islam. That's why the Muslim men love timid and silent women and laud them.
     Reply #4 - May 18, 2014, 03:31 PM

Diamonds are not intrinsically useless, but everything else you say is solid.
     Reply #5 - May 18, 2014, 03:38 PM

^So, how are they useful?
     Reply #6 - May 18, 2014, 03:50 PM

They are hard and have high thermal conductivity, thus are used in drilling for industrial processes (eg. embedded in drills), hinges in space shuttles, and as heat sinks for integrated circuits.

I never understood why people wear it as jewellery though, like gold. I suppose it's to flaunting one's wealth...
     Reply #7 - May 18, 2014, 06:37 PM

^Oh, I see. But they're primarily mined for their use in jewellery and that's also what they're most known for, and how Muslims use them in this context. I mean, you don't see people wearing copper or zinc as jewellery.
     Reply #8 - May 18, 2014, 08:03 PM

Well, the vast majority (something like 85%) of mined diamonds are used for industrial processes, and not jewellery. And that's not including all the synthesised diamond.

But yes, the Muslim analogy is stupid, that's for sure. Comparing inanimate objects to humans is rather pointless. And I don't like the idea of having to protect women as if they're helpless.

I just wanted to comment on the OP mentioning that diamonds don't contribute to anything...
     Reply #9 - May 19, 2014, 01:02 AM

I don't know all the technical terms for what I am about to explain, so just bear with me.

Diamonds do not actually have a high value. The reason they are marked up so much is because the market is controlled, from the cutters, back to the mines, and so the sale price is not true to life.

If you buy a high end diamond, with certification of it's worth, and you try to resell it, it will not sell for what you paid, 99 out of a hundred times.

There are some documentaries and news bites on this.

Mostly you are paying for the cutting job, at prices set by a select few firms, like DeBeers, who created the engagement ring "tradition".

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #10 - May 19, 2014, 02:18 AM

Mostly you are paying for the cutting job, at prices set by a select few firms, like DeBeers, who created the engagement ring "tradition".

Ooh, this is nice to know.

I just saved myself some money. Thank you three!  grin12

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #11 - May 19, 2014, 02:30 AM

My pleasure. I have personally saved myself tons of money by not purchasing or desiring those colorless stones. I don't want one, I don't have one, and everyone else can keep theirs. There is so much more out there that is better, as far as being aesthetically appealing or unique.

I think it is a crying shame that this company created a "tradition" for an entire culture that made the diamond a prerequisite for marriage.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #12 - May 19, 2014, 02:38 AM

I don't get the fascination, either. I asked for a plain old band from my husband, who wanted me to wear a ring, I reckon to send the message to all other males that I was taken.  Roll Eyes

While I like the band quite a bit, it actually doesn't work, and I've only had two people in my two years of marriage who assumed I might be married because of it, and, in both cases, they had to ask to be sure. Now he talks about buying me a "real" wedding ring, and I've insisted that I will not wear it.
     Reply #13 - May 19, 2014, 03:12 AM

.......... my husband, who wanted me to wear a ring, I reckon to send the message to all other males that I was taken.  Roll Eyes

no rings and  no  watches inside the laboratory and in operating rooms..........

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #14 - May 19, 2014, 03:15 AM

Half my job is pipetting, so I rarely need to worry about that! For now, anyway...
     Reply #15 - May 19, 2014, 03:39 AM

I don't understand how a wedding ring is supposed to mark your man/woman, if it can quite easily be taken off. Reckon they'll soon go to scars from branding next, lol.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #16 - May 19, 2014, 03:40 AM

I once worked for a couple who had matching ring tattoos on their ring fingers...but they got divorced sometime later.
     Reply #17 - May 19, 2014, 03:46 AM

Wow, I'm surprised. Always thought paranoia was the foundation of a healthy relationship. Guess I was wrong.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #18 - May 19, 2014, 04:44 AM

I don't get the fascination, either. I asked for a plain old band from my husband, who wanted me to wear a ring, I reckon to send the message to all other males that I was taken.  Roll Eyes

While I like the band quite a bit, it actually doesn't work, and I've only had two people in my two years of marriage who assumed I might be married because of it, and, in both cases, they had to ask to be sure. Now he talks about buying me a "real" wedding ring, and I've insisted that I will not wear it.

For some reason I've developed this habit of looking at both men and women's ring fingers on the train when I'm bored.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #19 - May 19, 2014, 07:10 AM

I don't know all the technical terms for what I am about to explain, so just bear with me.

Diamonds do not actually have a high value. The reason they are marked up so much is because the market is controlled, from the cutters, back to the mines, and so the sale price is not true to life.

If you buy a high end diamond, with certification of it's worth, and you try to resell it, it will not sell for what you paid, 99 out of a hundred times.

There are some documentaries and news bites on this.

Diamond, like Gold, has several useful properties and is used in many industrial processes and electronic systems. However wearing it as jewellery is pointless.

Frankly, I never understood why people wear jewellery. You could argue that gold is quite rare therefore valuable to keep in the form of gold bars, but why wear it?

I just don't understand the point. If it is because it looks good, why not wear a cheaper stimulant, for example wearing Cubic Zirconia instead of diamond?
     Reply #20 - May 19, 2014, 09:04 AM

I wear jewellery for the same reason I wear anything else. I like it.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #21 - May 19, 2014, 01:25 PM

When I was a muslim it used to be nice to think I was like a diamond.  Precious in some way, in a world that had never made me feel precious in anyway.  A way to make myself have some value, since my vagina devalued me.

I see how ridiculous that all is now of course, but it did give me some comfort back then.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #22 - May 19, 2014, 03:13 PM

What is it about jewellery that makes you like it? Is it the appearance? I'm genuinely curious.
     Reply #23 - May 19, 2014, 04:35 PM

I like jewelry because it gets rid off some of the excess money that's always piling up around me.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #24 - May 19, 2014, 04:41 PM

However wearing it as jewellery is pointless.

So is wearing the colour red, or bobble hats, or clothes with pockets we never use.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #25 - May 19, 2014, 05:06 PM

What more need to be said then this?? And what ishana said, jewelry like anything else is a choice of style

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
     Reply #26 - May 19, 2014, 05:58 PM

What is it about jewellery that makes you like it? Is it the appearance? I'm genuinely curious.

Descent,  people wear things,  buy things to look good for themselves and to others .. And some times rich and brainless  folks over do it.

Reply #27 - May 19, 2014, 06:00 PM

What more need to be said then this?? And what ishana said, jewelry like anything else is a choice of style

That's fine I suppose, but my question remains.

Why does it have to be expensive diamond that you must wear, or gold?

One is dirt cheap Cubic Zirconia and the other is an expensive diamond.

Why would you unnecessarily waste money for what amounts to a very small difference?

So is wearing the colour red, or bobble hats, or clothes with pockets we never use.

Right, but wearing red compared to another colour doesn't cost anything. Buying a diamond for the purpose of wearing it, when a much cheaper look-alike is available does.

And it's not limited to diamonds, but other jewellery as well.

I will compare it with wearing expensive watches. The purpose of the watch is to tell time, among other things (with the new smart watches). Why do people wear $10,000+ watches that are made of platinum?
     Reply #28 - May 19, 2014, 06:02 PM

That's fine I suppose, but my question remains.

Why does it have to be expensive diamond that you must wear, or gold?

(Clicky for piccy!)
    One is dirt cheap Cubic Zirconia and the other is an expensive diamond.

Why would you unnecessarily waste money?
    Right, but wearing red compared to another colour doesn't cost anything.

that is for brainless people  happened to be rich and tax evading...

Reply #29 - May 19, 2014, 06:28 PM

Right, but wearing red compared to another colour doesn't cost anything. Buying a diamond for the purpose of wearing it, when a much cheaper look-alike is available does.

People might not want a diamond look-alike. They might want a diamond.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »