Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Introducing myself

(Read 13251 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #60 - July 23, 2014, 11:18 AM

Welcome to the forum Trustworthy, have a rabbit!  bunny

Sorry to hear about your mother, and best of luck on your Master's.

Thank you. Grin

What is this fear of hurting parents about?

Similar forms of emotional blackmail have been written about in other threads.

No one ever turns out as parents want.  If they do there are serious issues to worry about.

The thing is, I have seen three other siblings 'hurt' my parents by making their own decisions. I have seen what my mother has been through and I'm not sure I can deal with myself causing that. Of course, the problem is that we all didn't 'cause' that. She decided to take it that way, albeit unconsciously. If she was equipped with better emotional intelligence, she could have decided to just accept it and go along with it. But no, they take it very personal, as if they have failed at parenting.

It's like they have this checking box in their head:
    married: check job: check house: check.
    And every checking box has it's own checking boxes.
    Married to a fellow Moroccan: check.
    Spouse has a good job: check
    Spouse is younger (if female): check
    Spouse is handsome: check

Atheism or living on your own, or choosing a white boyfriend wasn't anywhere NEAR their list. [/RANT]

In the end, it's inevitable. I am going to leave the house, I'm going to take off my hijab and I'll have to deal with their emotions. The last part is something I have to work on, because right now, I am having a hard time myself accepting my feelings as my own instead of blaming them on situations or actions of other people. It's hard when you picture that moment of leaving at least once every day and when you are daily reminded of the hurt that the others are causing. (One of my siblings is in some deep shit at the moment and he's the topic of conversation, every fucking day.)

parrot

Welcome!

On whisky, you might find it difficult to find, but try the only Welsh whisky Penderyn.

Your comments about free will and predestination amused me, as theological "debates" (alright hot wars) have occurred about this in christianity for centuries and are being replayed in science!

The core xian sects about this subject are Arminians and Calvinists.

They used to hate each other - Arminians might be Pentecostal, who Calvinist said were of Satan.

I have recently discovered a Calvinist Pentecostal Church!

I am getting more and more puzzled about the attitudes of parents written about here.

Do they not understand that children grow and develop and are therefore different to themselves?  The role of parents is to guide not control.

It is a really nice discussion, which can turn into a quite depressive one. :p

No, they do not understand. Actually, my parents have done a great deal in making sure we would end up 'better' than they did. In the terms of being educated, having a nice job, independence etc. They just didn't think our decisions would go any further than that.
    I think a lot of parents teach their children that they ¨owe¨ them. Many cultures teach children to be forever obedient to their parents, and expect those children to care for their parents, always.
    If parents raise their children to be obedient to them, and to fulfill their parent's expectations rather than their own desires, then sometimes emotional blackmail is quite effective. Not every person can handle losing their parent's love and presence in their lives, and if you are raised to be dependent on your parents, this makes even more sense in such a case.
    This is how abusers groom their victims, as well.
    Teach them that they are incapable of making decent choices, and make their decisions for them. The victim loses the ability to make choices, because it is sort of like a muscle, if you don't use it, it grows weak.
    This creates a dependency, you no longer trust yourself to do the best by yourself, you need someone else to do it for you. Parents are in a perfect spot to do this to their children. Sad, but true.

Yes, like the checking box I mentioned above, we all know what is expected of us in terms of making our parents happy. And although I have enjoyed a quite high level of independence when it came to my education (I was the first in my family to go to Uni so they couldn't tell me what to do, they simply didn't know), I have not had this independence in other things. 'Because due to their life experience, they always know what's best for me.'

To be honest I don't sometimes feel like there is a great deal of love in such households and if there is it is conditional not unconditional. If you don't know how to love yourself how can you love others fully? Part of loving yourself is being proud of your decisions and their results, if you don't make the decisions how can you have this? If you base your self-esteem on others approval then it is hard to be happy on your own and you can't then love yourself and know how to treat others fabulously; "do unto others as you would like to be done by".

Anyway that is my 2 cents.

This hits a little too close to home.

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #61 - July 23, 2014, 11:21 AM

It may fly back yes but it may have also not, your parents gave you the freedom to do that and loved you still which is marvellous.
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #62 - July 23, 2014, 11:27 AM

welcome bro,

i feel you.. because currently i walk in your shoes.
    well, after i came out, it was normal at first. my dad can accept me, my mother can accept me, all my friends can accept me, FYI i live in the biggest Muslim country (yet, moderate), Indonesia.

but then i saw my mother's face several days ago, i went to her house and i can't see her smile like i used to see. she asked me repeatedly "do you fast today? have you pray tarawih today? need anything for suhoor?" and of course i said no, and i told her again and again that i dont believe in any gods anymore, and that includes Allah, and that sadden her for quite a long time.

until yesterday i lied to her, i told her that i fast today and i did my tarawih prayer. it was easy for me to lie since i dont live with her (i live with my dad). Well after i said that, she express her happiness and said Alhamdulillah and finally i can see her smile again.

idk about this... i feel terrible each time i lied to her, but i think it was the best decision i made, since my mother's happiness is more important than anything. yet, its pathetic for me to live a double life like this.

for the first time in my life, ramadhan becomes a nightmare for me.

Please, please, dear Indostic. Do not make the same mistakes I did. If you lie to her, just to make her feel comfortable, you will never give her the opportunity to accept you the way you are. I have lied time and time again to keep my parents thinking I'm obedient to them, while at the same time doing what I really wanted. Because of that, they don't know the type of person I am. They don't know I have completely other desires than the ones they have for me. You are building your own cage at this moment. One day, you will want to come clean and be honest. But by then, the cage will be built completely and you won't be able to get out. They will think you are perfectly happy with the way they think you live your life, so the shock will be even greater.

Please, do not lie to your mother. Especially if you have already come out about your apostasy. Just give her some more time to accept it. It took me 4 years to accept my own apostasy. She will need some time too.

I know for some people, there is no other way than to lie about their apostasy (it is for me) but what you are doing, is taking one step forward and two steps back.

My sisters and I took our parents' slightly old-fashioned English expectations, shredded them, trampled on them and threw them to the four winds.

They loved us unconditionally.

Then a funny thing happened: bits of those shredded certainties knitted themselves into something different to, but broadly consistent with, their original certainties.

Give a bird its wings, and it may just fly back to you.

(Apologies for this gnomic tripe. I am drunk after having loaded five tons of clay subsoil onto a truck.)

That's what happened to my sister, too. After quite some years, she came back to us and my mom accepts her the way she is. She still thinks her life needs some improvements, but parents always do.

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #63 - July 23, 2014, 12:47 PM

Please, please, dear Indostic. Do not make the same mistakes I did. If you lie to her, just to make her feel comfortable, you will never give her the opportunity to accept you the way you are. I have lied time and time again to keep my parents thinking I'm obedient to them, while at the same time doing what I really wanted. Because of that, they don't know the type of person I am. They don't know I have completely other desires than the ones they have for me. You are building your own cage at this moment. One day, you will want to come clean and be honest. But by then, the cage will be built completely and you won't be able to get out. They will think you are perfectly happy with the way they think you live your life, so the shock will be even greater.

Please, do not lie to your mother. Especially if you have already come out about your apostasy. Just give her some more time to accept it. It took me 4 years to accept my own apostasy. She will need some time too.

I know for some people, there is no other way than to lie about their apostasy (it is for me) but what you are doing, is taking one step forward and two steps back.

and that was precisely what i thought when i insist my "no" answers to my mom due to her question regarding fast, pray, etc. but then i had this convo with my fellow ex-muslim atheist and he said "eventually you have to learn to cope, we live in a country where a godless person is seen as a bad thing"

few days later i began to lie to her  lipsrsealed
    i dont know this is confusing, i hope i can move to a secular and godless state but damn my love to this country is too damn high. i cant leave the foods, the tradition, the society etc Cry Cry
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #64 - July 23, 2014, 01:37 PM

The book "Games People Play" is in need of an urgent rewrite with examples other than US White 50's early 60's.

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #65 - July 23, 2014, 04:00 PM

Never thought I would do this but here goes. I'm a 17 year old girl from Birmingham, England. Probably one of the most religion based places in the U.K. And i count myself as an ex-Muslim but still pretend. Not on the grounds that I don't want to lose friends, one of my closest friend is an atheist, and the other recently came out, and is still at home. It's the fact I know how my mother will react. My father isn't really an influence in my life, I feel as though I have to wait until I'm 18 to then stand on my own two feet as now no matter what I do I'll be forced to come home.

Yeah so that's me, any advice?
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #66 - July 23, 2014, 04:03 PM

Never thought I would do this but here goes. I'm a 17 year old girl from Birmingham, England. Probably one of the most religion based places in the U.K. And i count myself as an ex-Muslim but still pretend. Not on the grounds that I don't want to lose friends, one of my closest friend is an atheist, and the other recently came out, and is still at home. It's the fact I know how my mother will react. My father isn't really an influence in my life, I feel as though I have to wait until I'm 18 to then stand on my own two feet as now no matter what I do I'll be forced to come home.

Yeah so that's me, any advice?

Hi Ithurts - welcome.

Could you possibly open your own intro thread?

parrot

You know 2 exxies in real life?
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #67 - July 23, 2014, 11:52 PM

Perfect example of why I voted three for poster of the month.

Oh my goodness. I don't know what to say.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #68 - July 23, 2014, 11:54 PM

welcome bro,

i feel you.. because currently i walk in your shoes.
    well, after i came out, it was normal at first. my dad can accept me, my mother can accept me, all my friends can accept me, FYI i live in the biggest Muslim country (yet, moderate), Indonesia.

but then i saw my mother's face several days ago, i went to her house and i can't see her smile like i used to see. she asked me repeatedly "do you fast today? have you pray tarawih today? need anything for suhoor?" and of course i said no, and i told her again and again that i dont believe in any gods anymore, and that includes Allah, and that sadden her for quite a long time.

until yesterday i lied to her, i told her that i fast today and i did my tarawih prayer. it was easy for me to lie since i dont live with her (i live with my dad). Well after i said that, she express her happiness and said Alhamdulillah and finally i can see her smile again.

idk about this... i feel terrible each time i lied to her, but i think it was the best decision i made, since my mother's happiness is more important than anything. yet, its pathetic for me to live a double life like this.

for the first time in my life, ramadhan becomes a nightmare for me.

I am sorry, it is a horrible quandary. Many here are in the same situation.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #69 - February 22, 2015, 07:03 PM

Welcome (again).

Cheesy

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #70 - March 27, 2015, 01:54 AM

Hi, Trustworthy. 

I was very moved by your story, especially the part about your concerns for your mother.

I'm not sure how you should deal with this.  But I'm not sure it's possible to go long-term keeping the truth from your loved ones.  The truth is the truth.  It has a way of coming out. 

Whether a person has sheltered herself from the truth or has been sheltered from it by others, it's always painful when the shelter gets torn down.  That can't be avoided.  But it's the price we pay for living in that kind of shelter.  That's simply a fact of reality.

You can keep trying to keep up a front for your mom, but that in itself builds a wall between you.  With every act of fakery or avoidance, your relationship becomes less real, more strained.  When you relate to each other, you won't really be connecting.   I suspect your mom will feel that.  I know that you will.

My heart goes out to you and your mother.  I can't tell you how to handle this, or if or when or how you should break the news.   But I think it's highly unlikely that the truth will remain hidden forever. 

Meanwhile, you have a lot of people on this forum who will listen to you and support you as you find your own path.
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »