Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Introducing myself

(Read 13249 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Introducing myself
     OP - May 07, 2014, 04:01 PM

I can't believe I'm really doing this...but here goes nothing.

I'm a 23 year old girl, living in Europe but born in North Africa. I was born and raised in a religious Sunni family. Like many of you, I've had questions about Islam ever since I started thinking for myself, which was around the age of 14/15. When asking these questions, I was told to shut up and not ask too many questions. Because I was afraid of hell, I obeyed and kept my doubts and questions to myself. I remember being afraid to go to hell because I didn't pray my daily prayers. So, on I went...praying now and then, especially during Ramadan and during periods of strong devotion. I occasionally read books about Islam, especially the frightening ones about 'adab'-ul-Qabr and the Signs of Yawm al Qiyamah. I discussed the things I'd read with my Muslim friends, about how Islam was the perfect religion and how there is scientific evidence in the Qur'aan.

From the age of 12 to the age of 16, I used to wear my hijab in a fashionable way, with my neck being uncovered. One time, when I was 16, it was Eid-ul-Fitr and I went to school straight after praying Salaat-ul-Eid in the masjid. I still had on my hijab the "right" way and everybody complimented me on how good it looked on me. From that moment, I wear my hijab the "right" way (occasionally giving myself a break from it when going to the beach on holidays). I lived my Muslim life, happily, and at some point even erased all the music from my laptop and stopped listening to it all together. I started listening to Qur'an more and put lectures on my iPod. At that point, I prayed regularly. I bought books on ahadith and started reading them.

I can't remember whether this "devoted period" was before (as in the cause of) or after (as in a consequence of) me reading a question from an ex-Muslim on a forum I was on. He said something like: "If Allah is All-Knowing, He knows beforehand which people will go to Hell and which won't. Yet, He is Mercy-full. How can this be?" None of the (religious) other posters could answer the question satisfactory so it kept bouncing in my head. I prayed to God to give me the answer to this question, but I didn't get any. I read that my du'a might not be accepted because of my sins or my ta9wa not being all that so I tried my best to upgrade my Imaan. But everything I read and did only made the question stronger. Statements like 'Allah leads who He wants to lead' made me angry. So, He decides who He leads, and the people that aren't led go to Hell? I had stumbled upon the 'Free Will and Predestination Paradox.' It is 4 years ago that I've had some sort of 'epiphany' (which sounds delightful but truth is, it was filled with despair and tears) about Islam not being the Truth I thought it was.

I was too scared to think about it so I put away my feelings and just pretended everything was alright. But I started listening to music again, I stopped reading books about Islam and only prayed occasionally, when my feelings of guilt resurfaced. I thought maybe I can start being devout again when I'm older. Allah will forgive me as long as I repent. So...older came and went. 3 years later (which was last year) I explored my feelings and thoughts a bit and actually came to the conclusion that I was not who I appeared to be on the outside. My doubts had taken root in my mind and I started thinking about how I would accept my future children in every choice they make. (Being brought up with intolerance against anything that's different, this was a huge step forward for me.) The thought of leaving Islam had not occurred to me yet. I just acknowledged my thoughts about God maybe not existing at all.

In the months after last Ramadan, 'I caught a few breaks from God' (which just means, I lied my ass off to my parents about some things and they didn't find out, although it came real close a couple of times) and I thought: well, maybe he does exist after all. But then I started in this self-help-book because of all my negative thoughts on life and the book challenge me to be open and honest with myself about a lot of things. My relationship with God was one of them. So, one thing led to another, being honest led to the realization that I actually don't believe anymore. That led to a conversation with an acquaintance of mine, who is an ex-convert, and that conversation led to thinking about how the hell I am going to live my life from now on.

My biggest obstacle in 'coming out' is not my fear of being homeless or being shunned by my extended family or whatever. I can provide for myself, even though I'm still living at home and I am doing my Masters at the moment. I know it will be hard without my family and I know a lot of my friends won't accept me anymore but I think I can live with that. My biggest obstacle is hurting my mother. I seriously am afraid she will have a major depression or something severe. She has been through a lot throughout her life: a vicious mother-in-law, my father who does not deserve the father-of-the-year-award, my brothers and sister who have hurt her by choosing their own paths in life. I am the 'good kid'.  The one that went to college. The one that always obeyed them, even if I speak back to my father a lot. I think I could live with not seeing my mother, if that meant she would be alright and not hurting. But she is very emotional and always puts her feelings away for the sake of others. I think this might be the final blow for her. I don't want to do that to her.

It's a long story but I hope you will read it. I have to go now but I will be back later. Please feel free to ask any questions (you won't be punished in Hell, haha) and I will do my best to answer them. But please be gentle, I am not used to thinking, let alone to "speaking" so freely about this.

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #1 - May 07, 2014, 04:02 PM

Dear lord, it's more than a thousand words. Bear with me, guys.

• Introducing myself
     Reply #2 - May 07, 2014, 04:21 PM

Welome to the forum. Have a parrot and a dancing bunny  parrot bunny

I feel for you, it's hard when being true to yourself is equivalent to hurting someone you love. I hope you can find support here on your personal journey.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #3 - May 07, 2014, 04:24 PM

I discussed the things I'd read with my Muslim friends, about how Islam was the perfect religion and how there is scientific evidence in the Qur'aan.

The above was pretty much what I used to do, before I decided to examine Islam without a predetermined bias.
    Also, welcome to the forum - tradition is to bestow newcomers with a parrot but I am going to deviate
     bounce

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #4 - May 07, 2014, 04:44 PM

Hey Trustworthy, welcome to the forum! parrot parrot bunny bunny

Don't worry about the length of your post, it was an easy read and well written. Smiley It sounds like you went through the same phases many of us have. I'm really glad to hear you were influenced by that question from an ex-Muslim! It's good to know our online presence can make that kind of difference.

I'm also glad to hear you were able to be truly honest with yourself about your belief. That is often not an easy thing to do, although maybe you had already primed yourself for that step. Afro

It sucks about the situation with your mother. But it sounds like your family might not be too strict, am I reading that right? What if you simply stopped practicing but didn't necessarily come out as an apostate. Could your mother accept that? And more importantly, could you accept that?

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #5 - May 07, 2014, 04:45 PM

welcome  far away hug

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #6 - May 07, 2014, 05:10 PM

Welcome to the forum. Have a parrot. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #7 - May 07, 2014, 05:11 PM

Also, welcome to the forum - tradition is to bestow newcomers with a parrot but I am going to deviate
     bounce

SLAY HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #8 - May 07, 2014, 05:14 PM

Takbīr !

• Introducing myself
     Reply #9 - May 07, 2014, 05:17 PM

Takbīr? Isn't that what the terrorists shout? I just had a flashback of several YouTube videos of angry islamists screaming that.

• Introducing myself
     Reply #10 - May 07, 2014, 05:20 PM

Takbir = say allah akbar (the takbir)
    I prefer the allahu wtfbar

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #11 - May 07, 2014, 05:22 PM

Yeah, I liked "allahu wtfkbar" but "aloha akbar" seems funnier to me although both are interesting coinages.

• Introducing myself
     Reply #12 - May 07, 2014, 05:25 PM

I like allah wtfkbar.

• Introducing myself
     Reply #13 - May 07, 2014, 05:27 PM

The context behind aloha akbar made me cry from laughter:

Let me find it..

• Introducing myself
     Reply #14 - May 07, 2014, 05:32 PM

The white woman and the black family.

• Introducing myself
     Reply #15 - May 07, 2014, 05:38 PM

• Introducing myself
     Reply #16 - May 07, 2014, 05:46 PM

Grin. Oh and OP here is your piggy- piggy. Eat it or pet it. Both to signify you are no longer a Muslim.
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #17 - May 07, 2014, 06:16 PM

heyy welcome, if uve come to the Uk, cemb has an active network there Smiley
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #18 - May 07, 2014, 07:42 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum parrot. I was going to suggest what Luthiel said, would it be possible to lessen the blow somehow. I've got no problems with my parents, but I know that apostasy would be just incomprehensible to them, so I've been thinking about ways I could compromise; live my life freely ,yet, maintain a relationship with my parents. 

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
     Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
     Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
     Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God." - Epicurus
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #19 - May 07, 2014, 07:57 PM

hello, welcome to the forum. You are amongst friends now, thanks for joining us and sharing your story Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Introducing myself
     Reply #20 - May 07, 2014, 07:58 PM

Welcome Trustworthy! Have a parrot  parrot

I hope you can find a way to live your life and not tell your parents. A double life can be ok if you find your way.

Dogs never bite me - just humans. ~ M. Monroe

Religions seem to cause more grief than good.

Exmuslim Chat
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #21 - May 07, 2014, 09:27 PM

Welome to the forum. Have a parrot and a dancing bunny  parrot bunny

I feel for you, it's hard when being true to yourself is equivalent to hurting someone you love. I hope you can find support here on your personal journey.

Thank you, Cornflower!

We have a saying here that goes like: shared misery is only half the misery, so at least here I can talk about the things I go through.

Do you know how to multiquote on here? I'd like to reply to all of you.

• Introducing myself
     Reply #22 - May 07, 2014, 09:33 PM

The above was pretty much what I used to do, before I decided to examine Islam without a predetermined bias.
     bounce

At that moment, I had never examined Islam; I just took whatever argument in favor of Islam I heared and used it myself. I never even looked at what the opposite party thinks, until I happened to see the question the guy asked. Even after that, I never looked beyond that, afraid of what I might find. Now my mind is free to wander and see what else is available. I am curious to see the arguments against the 'scientific evidence'.

Thank you! Yes, I saw the parrot and the bunnies in some other introductory posts. I also saw the revelation by happymurtad, haha.

• Introducing myself
     Reply #23 - May 07, 2014, 09:35 PM

Welcome!  parrot

I'm pretty new, too, but everyone is really great here. Don't be a stranger.  Afro
  • Introducing myself
     Reply #24 - May 07, 2014, 09:36 PM

I am curious to see the arguments against the 'scientific evidence'.

This is a good place to start.

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=4537.0

• Introducing myself
     Reply #25 - May 07, 2014, 09:51 PM

Hey Trustworthy, welcome to the forum! parrot parrot bunny bunny

Don't worry about the length of your post, it was an easy read and well written. Smiley It sounds like you went through the same phases many of us have. I'm really glad to hear you were influenced by that question from an ex-Muslim! It's good to know our online presence can make that kind of difference.

I'm also glad to hear you were able to be truly honest with yourself about your belief. That is often not an easy thing to do, although maybe you had already primed yourself for that step. Afro

It sucks about the situation with your mother. But it sounds like your family might not be too strict, am I reading that right? What if you simply stopped practicing but didn't necessarily come out as an apostate. Could your mother accept that? And more importantly, could you accept that?

Thank you! I don't know whether I'm glad. Sometimes I wish I had never seen it so I could stay oblivious and just live my life blissfully ignorant. I know, one way or the other, my feelings and thoughts would have resurfaced and taken root anyway but still...

Being honest with myself was the hardest part so far. Even now I'm having a hard time being honest with myself. It feels like two worlds I cannot unite: my inner world of thoughts and feelings and the outer world of other people, their opinions and everything I've believed and done so far.

I don't know about the strictness of my family, I mean...they don't expect me to wear a niqaab or abaya, we listen to music and when family comes over, men and women sit together depending on whether our 'strict' aunt and uncle are present or not. But my dad does lecture us a lot about praying, about reading Qur'aan instead of books, he has been to Makkah and he goes to the masjid 5 times a day, etc etc. While I still wear a hijab, my sister doesn't anymore, she has a non-muslim boyfriend, doesn't live at home anymore, flirted with apostasy in some other ways too and that all wasn't taken too lightly. She never really came out as an apostate so I don't know. After a long period of not-talking and not-visiting, she finally came back to us and my mom welcomed her back with open arms but she does not accept her way of life. I think for me it would be even harder because I'm 'the good one', like I said.

I tried imagining myself just pretending (fasting Ramadan and occassionally going to Masjid) but that felt untrue to myself. If I do that, how am I to be me? Especially wearing the hijab is difficult because I know my intentions are all wrong. And how am I to attract a partner for life with the same ideals as I have, with my appearance sending of all the wrong signals?
    And if I stop wearing my hijab, stop fasting etc I should come up with a darn good excuse. To be honest, I'm fed up with lying. But if that will keep my mom from hurting, I might give it a try. As long as I can be me.

• Introducing myself
     Reply #26 - May 07, 2014, 09:58 PM

Quod Sum Eris, Confusedagno and Qtian: thanks for the welcome!
    Qtian: the takbir was actually pretty funny in an ironic way, since they also use it when people convert xD

I do have trouble with making fun of Islam though, doesn't feel right to me.

Rubaya:  I still have issues with seeing myself as an ex-muslim, but thanks for the piggy!

serpentofeden no, I don't live in the UK but thanks! Maybe if I visit someday.

• Introducing myself
     Reply #27 - May 07, 2014, 10:01 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum parrot. I was going to suggest what Luthiel said, would it be possible to lessen the blow somehow. I've got no problems with my parents, but I know that apostasy would be just incomprehensible to them, so I've been thinking about ways I could compromise; live my life freely ,yet, maintain a relationship with my parents. 

Thanks, Naz. I understand from what you're saying that your parents don't know about your apostasy yet. What do you mean when you say you have got no problems with your parents? Your last sentence is exactly what I want too. Have you come up with anything yet? Feel free to share :p

Thanks, Billy. I already feel better with the overwhelming amount of replies and kind words.

• Introducing myself
     Reply #28 - May 07, 2014, 10:05 PM

Welcome Trustworthy! Have a parrot  parrot

I hope you can find a way to live your life and not tell your parents. A double life can be ok if you find your way.

Hi Ladybird! Thank you!

I don't know about a double life. How about when I get married and have my own kids? I can't keep pretending for the rest of my (their) life...

Thanks, Lua! I am going to read your introduction as well, I am curious about all your stories.

Quod Sum Eris: thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

• Introducing myself
     Reply #29 - May 07, 2014, 10:06 PM

No worries.

• 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »