Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Coincidences or Time Travellers Among Us?

(Read 4762 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Coincidences or Time Travellers Among Us?
     OP - April 20, 2014, 07:31 AM

So I was just watching the Back to the Future Trilogy and was just thinking of time travel.

Don't take this hypothesis so seriously...

Hypothesis:There are time travellers who have lived in the past, present and future.

Evidence:There have been many strange cases in history of people with incredible predictions. Unlike the concept of religious day of judgement, these predictions have not been vague but share incredibly similarity with actual events. So if there have been time travellers, than there must be events that have been predicted...

1)Morgan Robertson wrote a book called Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan 14 Years before the sinking of the Titanic.
    • The Titanic sinks moving at 22½ knots struck an iceberg on the starboard side on the night of April 14, 1912, in the North Atlantic, 400 nautical miles away from Newfoundland. Moving at 25 knots, The Titan also struck an iceberg on the starboard side on an April night in the North Atlantic, 400 nautical miles from Newfoundland (Terranova). The Atlantic ocean is 41.1 Million square miles yet the place where they sunk was the exact same
    • Both were British, more than 800 ft. long and are described as unsinkable
    • Both were triple screw (propeller)
    • Both had a shortage of lifeboats, about half of what was needed for the number of passengers they were carrying
    • Both ships sank, killing about half their passangers (Titanic had 2200 and the Titan had 2500)
    Morgan Robertson could not have predicted to such a degree of accuracy the sinking of the Titanic without having foreknowledge of this. Remember, he wrote the book before the Titanic was even built.

2)Edgar Allen Poe in the Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket
    • Poe describes one scene visits a whaling ship lost at sea, taking with it all but four crewmen. Out of food, the men drew lots to see who would be eaten, the unfortunate decision landing on a young cabin boy named Richard Parker/li]
      • Forty-six years later, there was an actual disaster at sea involving the Mignonette. It became famous due to the legal consequences of some gruesome events on board, specifically the way the 4 men drew lots and decided to eat their cabin boy who was named Richard Parker
      EAP had foreknowledge of this event

3)Monk saves life of a man 3 times
      • Joseph Aigner  was quite an unhappy fellow: he several times attempted suicide. His first attempt was at the young age of 18 when he tried to hang himself, but was interrupted by the mysterious appearance of a Capuchin monk. At age 22 he again tried to hang himself, but was again saved from the act by the very same monk. Eight years later, his death was ordained by others who sentenced him to the gallows for his political activities. Once again, his life was saved by the intervention of the same monk. At age 68, Aiger finally succeeded in suicide, a pistol doing the trick. His funeral ceremony was conducted by the same Capuchin monk
      The monk must have known that Aigner would die these times in different timelines, therefore prevented it from happening. Why? He must have had a relationship with Aigner just like Emmett Brown with Marty McFly.
     Reply #1 - April 20, 2014, 08:39 AM

Well this is my incredibly drunk post. When I think of prophecies I think Nostradamus. Probably because he was he first I heard of.

But anyway, you said time travellers have lived in the past present and future. Doesn't that mean for the future to be they have to time travel? For instance there's the old bit of wisdom that if you go back in time you should never do anything because even stepping on an insect will radically alter the future. but if you're a time traveller, then if you travel top the past you've already travelled to the past and so stepping on that insect, instead of making it so the human race never comes to be, will in fact allow the human race to be born?

Little tip once you have humanity. If you plan on going to the past, make sure to learn the lottery numbers and/or winners of the local sports game for your time of choice and et on them.

Oh and if you go back to the 70s/80s make sure you bet that by the year 2000 Michael Jackson will somehow be white. You'll make a fortune. Afro

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #2 - April 20, 2014, 09:19 AM

Hmm, a time traveller from the future armed with profound knowledge of advanced technology and events to come decides to abandon whatever important mission he was on and becomes a reasonably successful short story author instead, who's contribution to helping the fate of humankind was a fictional tale about a Titanic-like disaster and an attempt to patent the already-invented periscope.

Seems legit.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #3 - April 20, 2014, 09:25 AM

Maybe it wasn't an important mission, maybe it was in order to save his loved one but which failed so he just gave up and assimilated into whatever lame time period he ended up in

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #4 - April 20, 2014, 09:30 AM

The first thing I would do if I invented the backwards time machine would be to go back in time 10 Minutes and kill myself and then watch the universe be destroyed from the resulting paradox.

Speaking on actual physics. We are not technology capable yet, but there is nothing stopping us from travelling to the future using gravitational time dilation. 
     Reply #5 - April 20, 2014, 09:40 AM

Maybe it wasn't an important mission, maybe it was in order to save his loved one but which failed so he just gave up and assimilated into whatever lame time period he ended up in

Maybe Morgan Robertson failed his mission because, when he travelled back, he mistakenly travelled into the womb of Amelia Robertson, who gave birth to him and raised him as though he was her son, and by the time he was an adult again, he'd forgotten the mission.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #6 - April 20, 2014, 10:02 AM

..............to go back in time 10 Minutes and kill myself and then watch the universe be destroyed .....................

Speaking on actual physics. ....... travelling to the future............. gravitational time dilation.........

dear Descent some where I read in your posts that you said  "you are an18 year old young man" correct me if I am wrong.   So keeping that in mind, I say you are a brilliant guy, thoughtful, rational, very imaginative.  And that is wonderful but all that will work well for you  only once you become some sort of Theoretical Physics  tenured faculty member in some prestigious universities.     Such imaginative thought processes will not work for a 1st year graduate student.  Learn to live in the resent time Descent, do  not  live in the past, do not run in to imaginative time travel for future  but for getting good grades competing with the rest of the class and setting goals in life and moving ahead of crowd ..

So my suggestion to you is,   stop thinking about  killing your self or destroying the universe for the sake time travel.   Go.. have a  girl friend.. watch movies.. write short stories..   climb mountains..... swim oceans ..... enjoy the present life..

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #7 - April 20, 2014, 10:30 AM

Wow, thanks a lot yeezevee for the compliments and I appreciate your advice a lot. Technically I'm 17, though will be 18 shortly.

Go.. have a  girl friend..

Been trying for many years with no success so far. Hopefully while studying physics next year, I will meet a girl who shares a similar passion in science.
     Reply #8 - April 20, 2014, 10:52 AM

The first thing I would do if I invented the backwards time machine would be to go back in time 10 Minutes and kill myself and then watch the universe be destroyed from the resulting paradox.

You have a high opinion of your own importance. Cheesy

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #9 - April 20, 2014, 10:52 AM

So my suggestion to you is,   stop thinking about  killing your self or destroying the universe for the sake time travel.   Go.. have a  girl friend.. watch movies.. write short stories..   climb mountains..... swim oceans ..... enjoy the present life..

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Afro

Do what it takes to feel alive

even if the feeling lasts a second its worth it

trust me Wink

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
     Reply #10 - April 20, 2014, 11:31 AM

That would be the last thing you would do too.. 

Reply #11 - April 20, 2014, 12:23 PM

I will reply to this if my Skype partner allows me.

Reply #12 - April 20, 2014, 12:57 PM

You have a high opinion of your own importance. Cheesy

I will have destroyed the universe single-handedly. If God created the universe, I would become the anti-God.
     Reply #13 - April 20, 2014, 10:40 PM

So you actually think killing your younger self will destroy the universe or is this physics humour?

Reply #14 - April 21, 2014, 12:45 AM

Lol, some neat stories here.

Heard one about a guy disappearing through a castle wall and ending up in another continent. Some people have quite the imaginations, and with a good storyteller on hand, these make for some riveting tales.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #15 - April 21, 2014, 05:19 AM

So you actually think killing your younger self will destroy the universe or is this physics humour?

It will have broken the chain of causality. The effect will have come before the cause.

If I killed myself in the past, how did I get to the future to kill myself in the past?
     Reply #16 - April 22, 2014, 04:05 AM

You're assuming you know how the universe would react to such a paradox.  The result could simply be your deletion and we all continue none the wiser. Why would that destroy the universe?

Reply #17 - April 22, 2014, 05:43 AM

Yes, you're right. It wouldn't. Time Travel to the past is not possible for several reasons, not just because possible paradoxes. It's all very hypothetical but here are two preventions of paradoxes:

If I were to go back in time to kill myself, something must have happened preventing me from doing so. This is known as the Novikov self-consistency principle. You could use this if there was one timeline. Alternatively, it could create a simultaneous alternative timeline where you don't exist.
     Reply #18 - April 22, 2014, 06:02 AM

Well time travel is possible in small ways.

Reply #19 - April 22, 2014, 06:44 AM

Into the future, absolutely. However, the current record is only 20 Milliseconds, so it'll take a while before we do something more noticeable.
     Reply #20 - April 22, 2014, 07:00 AM

So what do you think of time? Is it like a river/stream and we're a leaf floating along, is it static or pulsing or what? Also as we've found there are different types of gravity I would assume time isn't something fixed as gravity can affect time (if I remember correctly). There's probably a lot of information out there I'm not aware of as it's not something I've devoted my time to studying but from what I understand time itself isn't solely one thing. Would we have to define what type of time we're talking about? popcorn

Reply #21 - April 22, 2014, 07:40 AM

So what do you think of time? Is it like a river/stream and we're a leaf floating along, is it static or pulsing or what?

With the advent of special relativity, people realized that space and time were entangled so to say. And the entanglement is different for observers who move relative to each other. Most time travelling ideas that are feasible are based on general and special relativity.

The SI definition of time is based on atomic clocks:

"One second is the time taken by 9 192 631 770 oscillations of the light (of a specified
    wavelength) emitted by a cesium-133 atom."

However even more accurate atomic clocks are currently being developed.

Also as we've found there are different types of gravity

I've never heard of this. Please clarify. I'm pretty sure gravitation is universal.

Would we have to define what type of time we're talking about?

Well there is Newtonian time which thought that time is same everywhere in the universe. This of course was wrong after the advent of the discovery of special relativity by Einstein. Time is relativistic. Time is experienced differently for someone in space than someone on Earth and is experienced differently for a stationary person than person travelling at a high velocity.
     Reply #22 - April 22, 2014, 07:46 AM

Just that gravity behaves differently, for instance there's a difference between Newtonian gravity and Einsteinian gravity. And gravity is also linked to time I believe? If I were being drawn towards a black hole time would pass differently for me than you because of the gravity of the black hole I would be subjected to that you wouldn't be?

Reply #23 - April 22, 2014, 08:01 AM

Gravity, like time is the same in this regard. Modern Physics has superseded Classical Mechanics. However, in everyday terms it's easier to use Classical mechanics. However they are not accurate enough for more precise calculations.
     Reply #24 - April 22, 2014, 10:24 AM

Muhammad must have been a time traveller who went back to the 7th century to tell the Arabs about the 2 seas that meet, one salty and one sweet, and the invisible barrier between them! How else could he have known about it?
     Reply #25 - April 22, 2014, 01:11 PM

Also keep in mind that rap group that predicted the 9/11 attacks by releasing an album featuring that very cover (plane colliding into Twin Towers) a month or so before it happened.

Reply #26 - April 22, 2014, 01:21 PM

b rap group that predicted the 9/11 attacks by releasing an album .............

Nooooo.,

Actually Americans predicted 911 when they  implemented the concept of  emergency number, 9-1-1 in 1968.  They planned this to attack Islam much earlier to that tragedy......... 

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »