Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: HI

(Read 4207 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • HI
     OP - April 15, 2014, 05:08 PM

Hi all,

I am newly registered member after finding the CEMB forum, I am very excited. I come from another forum called Imaan which is a support group for LGBT muslims. I am a 23 year old Master's student from a conservative Bangladeshi background,  I was born and raised in East London and I'm also Gay.  Smiley

I have never been close to Islam even growing up, I always found praying and reading the Quran a chore so think I never connected with it. I have always had doubts about the religion and only actively started searching for answers to quell my doubts and thus found answers which have lend me to renouncing organised religion. Shockingly I came out as an Athiest/Agnostic, Gay and living with a white man to my mother all in one go and she took it well  I think (She didn't try and get me married or believe I was persuaded by anyone or had any demons in me or disowned me directly). 

Thats me in a nutshell.  Tongue

Wizard

Bored now...
  • HI
     Reply #1 - April 15, 2014, 05:13 PM

Welcome! dance

turnipovich
  • HI
     Reply #2 - April 15, 2014, 05:16 PM

Good on you for being honest and good on your mum for taking it in stride. Welcome to CEMB. Have a parrot. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • HI
     Reply #3 - April 15, 2014, 06:15 PM

^ What he said. That's awesome.

Welcome!  parrot

• HI
     Reply #4 - April 15, 2014, 06:17 PM

Welcome Smiley

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
  • HI
     Reply #5 - April 16, 2014, 10:50 AM

Thank you all for your kind words and warm welcome!  feel right at home already Afro

Bored now...
  • HI
     Reply #6 - April 16, 2014, 11:04 AM

Welcome  parrot. It's good that your mother is very accepting.

May I ask what your studying for your Master's degree?
  • HI
     Reply #7 - April 16, 2014, 11:08 AM

I'm studying Management, I wouldn't say she is accepting per say, just she didn't react as badly as I thought. I think she still believes that she will convert me back.  Roll Eyes

Bored now...
  • HI
     Reply #8 - April 16, 2014, 11:22 AM

Wonderful. My mother has threatened to cut my university funding on the basis that I don't pray too often. Imagine if she finds out I'm an apostate. Yikes!
  • HI
     Reply #9 - April 16, 2014, 11:34 AM

Maybe when your more secure in a job and have left home you can be open about it more? unless you don't want to hurt them?

Every time I talk to my mum about religion/sexuality/love life, she kinda makes it about herself!  Cheesy as in that I should think about her and her feelings and why didn't I come out earlier as it would have suited her better! oh and the funny thing is she thinks she's going to hell because of my beliefs and my sexuality as she didn't guide me to the right path well.

I was wondering if there are any Ex-Muslim LGBT people knocking around on this forum?

Bored now...
  • HI
     Reply #10 - April 16, 2014, 11:37 AM

Hi all,

I am newly registered member after finding the CEMB forum, I am very excited. I come from another forum called Imaan which is a support group for LGBT muslims. I am a 23 year old Master's student from a conservative Bangladeshi background,  I was born and raised in East London and I'm also Gay.  Smiley

I have never been close to Islam even growing up, I always found praying and reading the Quran a chore so think I never connected with it. I have always had doubts about the religion and only actively started searching for answers to quell my doubts and thus found answers which have lend me to renouncing organised religion. Shockingly I came out as an Athiest/Agnostic, Gay and living with a white man to my mother all in one go and she took it well  I think (She didn't try and get me married or believe I was persuaded by anyone or had any demons in me or disowned me directly). 

Thats me in a nutshell.  Tongue

Wizard

Hey, you're not too far from me then.. assuming that you (still) live near the poplar area.
    Welcome to the forum.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • HI
     Reply #11 - April 16, 2014, 11:48 AM

Every time I talk to my mum about religion/sexuality/love life, she kinda makes it about herself!  Cheesy as in that I should think about her and her feelings and why didn't I come out earlier as it would have suited her better!

That has so much potential to be taken out of context. Cheesy
    I was wondering if there are any Ex-Muslim LGBT people knocking around on this forum?

You're not the only one. Afro

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • HI
     Reply #12 - April 16, 2014, 01:09 PM

I'm studying Management, I wouldn't say she is accepting per say, just she didn't react as badly as I thought. I think she still believes that she will convert me back.  Roll Eyes

Hello Wizard. Welcome and have a pig- piggy. Glad to know that you have a Bangladeshi background, because I am too Smiley. I am an atheist and like your mum my parents also think that it is a passing phase; and my dad can't even pronounce the sentence, "Rubaya is an atheist!" Grin Well not unless I get some solid proof of God's existence.
  • HI
     Reply #13 - April 16, 2014, 03:41 PM

Hey, you're not too far from me then.. assuming that you (still) live near the poplar area.
    Welcome to the forum.

I used to live there, I live with my partner now  Smiley I think it helped being away from the same type of people in order for me to think more clearly about religion.

Bored now...
  • HI
     Reply #14 - April 16, 2014, 03:41 PM

Hello Wizard. Welcome and have a pig- piggy. Glad to know that you have a Bangladeshi background, because I am too Smiley. I am an atheist and like your mum my parents also think that it is a passing phase; and my dad can't even pronounce the sentence, "Rubaya is an atheist!" Grin Well not unless I get some solid proof of God's existence.

Cool I'm glad there's another Bengii here!  Smiley

Bored now...
  • HI
     Reply #15 - May 08, 2014, 08:55 PM

! oh and the funny thing is she thinks she's going to hell because of my beliefs and my sexuality as she didn't guide me to the right path well.

My dad thinks the exact same thing! He thinks he will go to hell because me and my siblings don't practise well enough (don't pray regularly etc.) and he believes he will be held accountable for that because he brought us to the non-muslim country we now live in.  Sometimes I think of it as funny and sometimes I wish I could free him from this pain he is inflicting on himself.

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »