Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: On Imposter Syndrome

(Read 8413 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     OP - April 14, 2014, 12:38 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I grew up in a community in which zero-trust & constant accusations of immorality were made. It wasn't just me, many of my friends had the same.

It was definitely worse for girls than boys in the community I grew up in, although pretty bad for everyone. My friends & I constantly accused of doing things that we weren't (I only wish I could have done 1/10th the stuff my family accused me of!) everything from not wearing hijabs, to talking to boys, to going places we shouldn't, to talking to people we shouldn't, to having boyfriends, drinking, drugs etc etc...

The other side to being falsely accused of doing things all the time was being considered a generally dishonest & untrustworthy human and a liar.

This last aspect is impacting me as a grown up. After all the undermining & accusations, I have what I think is imposter syndrome. I always feel that people think I am lying and I feel sort of anxiety & lack of confidence when I engage with others. It is impacting me at uni, work etc & am finding it very difficult to change (even with my awesome therapist). I also feel am not good enough for anything, even though I *know* I am. My friends seem very confused by this aspect to me (which makes me feel a little more isolated as nobody really truly understands).

I wonder whether anyone else feels this & whether anyone else has had similar experiences & how you managed to overcome it. Is it permanent? Can we decondition ourselves? How does that work?

Any thoughts appreciated!
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #1 - April 14, 2014, 01:09 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, ................

Huh! ......... what kind of nick name is that TomDickJihadis..... TomDickJihadis.Huh?   TDJS?  why you use that nick?  they sound like RASCALS.,  some how we got to change your nick TDJS..

Well everyone on this earth has problem., Some we have to attack, some problems we need to neglect and for some we have find intelligent ways to  over come.  So what was your previous nick in CEMB?

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #2 - April 14, 2014, 01:15 PM

I chose it because

(i) I found it hilarious & punny

(ii) The way that I was treated (as a chattel, almost a prostitute to be given away in an arranged marriage at a very young age) made me feel like a Tom

(iii) The fuckwits that made me feel like a Tom, were Dicks & Jihadis, so why not?

(iv) I ran out of letters & couldn't be TomsDicks&Jihadis which is what I really wanted

Also, I'm sticking with my name, if you don't like it, I suggest you lower your gaze.  bunny Am sick of people telling me what to do, how to be & expecting me to change to accommodate their silliness. So there.
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #3 - April 14, 2014, 01:21 PM

lol TDJ don't take yeez so seriously

I will reply to your post in a bit, I have similar feelings

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #4 - April 14, 2014, 01:39 PM

Well, actually it was quite tough for me, writing all of that down for the first time. It's fairly ironic that the first comment (& in a snark-free zone) in response to talking about the psychological affects of not being taken seriously is some twit not taking me seriously & snarking at my name. Really unhelpful and not even a tiny bit funny by way of compensation.

HAHAHA << that's me lying through my teeth there
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #5 - April 14, 2014, 01:41 PM

That's yeezevee for you.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #6 - April 14, 2014, 01:48 PM

Oh OP Yeez was being sarcastic there. That's the way he jokes. Believe me he is one of the nicest and friendliest member around. And let me take this opportunity to welcome you. Here is a parrot- parrot.
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #7 - April 14, 2014, 02:23 PM

Welcome!

Trust me, Yeezevee will confuse and alarm you at first, but later the alarm will fade and you will love him.  Rubaya is right, he is always friendly. Also, with time, you will find that you no longer have to use Google, because Yeezevee will hand you resources when he detects a search-worthy keyword. Grin

Anyway, I can't say I know precisely how you feel, but it doesn't seem abnormal at all that someone in your circumstances would be dealing with psychological issues now. It's great that you're going to a therapist and doing all the right things...But, let me say that friends tend not to be close friends with people that they truly think are lying to them all the time. I hope with time you can stop feeling this way. As you already know, you've done nothing to deserve this anxiety.

Keep working with the therapist, and trust the process. It may take time.
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #8 - April 14, 2014, 02:23 PM

Sorry TomDicksJihadist for the misunderstanding. Yeez has a strange sense of humor you will grow to appreciate once you get to know him and all of us on the forum. I'm very sorry for you feeling sad or insulted, I hope you don't think that this is how things are on the forum.  far away hug

As for your question. I think it has partly to do with the fact that you start doubting yourself and since everyone else (important) in your life didn't trust you, you have this emotional belief that everyone else is the same way. If you are seeing a therapist, continue doing this and tray talking about this more. Perhaps (s)he can recommend you some books or articles about it, they should know this since I assume therapists are educated psychologists in addition to their training in therapy.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #9 - April 14, 2014, 02:41 PM

Any way to answer your question TDS

Yes I feel like an impostor or a hypocrite

Especially when you live with muslims and have to act muslim, just today my mum told me to make dua for something. Even though my heart cracked a little at my dishonesty I just smiled and nodded, instead of saying inshallah like I use to.

Its hard, I have my moments of insanity (just read all my posts to see how insane I can become).

But here is some advice that may help, take a step back, breathe and don't take it all too seriously. Once you can see the lighter side and smile instead of cringe on the inside you will at least start to feel better.

An example I can give you is now when I hear my family say mashallah or alhamdullilah I smile and in my head I say, yes, praise be to you, YOU did that, not god.
    Or yes GLorify YOU, you are beautiful, I don't know if god needs me to glorify him.

Try and find the lighter side in things, it will take times, you will have those moments when you want to punch a whole thru the wall or swear the first person that gets in your face.

Cliched as it may be LAUGHTER really is the best medicine

Many of the members on this forum made me feel calmer or better by just making my laugh out loud at there comments or in a skype session or chat Smiley

In fact talking about feeling like everyone is going to accuse you of something, I went through this paranoia just yesterday, feeling like everyone was going to start accusing me of things, same like you my past issues with my family are resurfacing.

But you said it yourself, you are an ADULT now, so you have to figure out how to handle things differently now.

It always helps to take a step back, a week away from home helped me gain much perspective that I needed.

Best of luck  far away hug

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

• On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #10 - April 14, 2014, 03:57 PM

Yes I feel like an impostor or a hypocrite

No..no...noooo., you are neither hypocrite nor impostor.,

I say not only you, none of the members of CEMB fall in to that category confusedagno.  What one can say is, folks are bit timid for open confrontation with some Muslim folks/family members  who consider "those who don't follow the rules of Islam are inhuman and far below the standards set by Muslims that follow bookish Islam"

• On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #11 - April 14, 2014, 03:58 PM

Well said Yeez  Smiley

That is true

• On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #12 - April 14, 2014, 04:26 PM

I chose it because

(i) I found it hilarious & punny

(ii) The way that I was treated (as a chattel, almost a prostitute to be given away in an arranged marriage at a very young age) made me feel like a Tom

(iii) The fuckwits that made me feel like a Tom, were Dicks & Jihadis, so why not?

(iv) I ran out of letters & couldn't be TomsDicks&Jihadis which is what I really wanted

Also, I'm sticking with my name, if you don't like it, I suggest you lower your gaze.  bunny Am sick of people telling me what to do, how to be & expecting me to change to accommodate their silliness. So there.

well TDJ that post needs dissection., needs detailed reply., I will do it later.,  but looking at points (ii) & (iii)., if I were you I would have nicked myself as Tom knight. I am very sorry that happened to you., and I am glad you came out of it as a winner, standing for your rights and making rascals to recognize you & your free spirit TDJ ., As far as this is concerned

YOU STICK TO YOUR GUNS., and I will stick to my statement.,  And I still believe Dicks&Jihadis are so so..sooooo unfunny., they can not go with "determined Tom" who is standing up whatever rest of the world thinks..  ..

Sorry TDJ., I again agree to disagree with you...  

with best wishes
    yeezevee

• On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #13 - April 14, 2014, 09:41 PM

Google seriously needs to invent a Yeezevee to English translator. It'd save a lot of bother. Smiley

The other side to being falsely accused of doing things all the time was being considered a generally dishonest & untrustworthy human and a liar.

This last aspect is impacting me as a grown up. After all the undermining & accusations, I have what I think is imposter syndrome. I always feel that people think I am lying and I feel sort of anxiety & lack of confidence when I engage with others. It is impacting me at uni, work etc & am finding it very difficult to change (even with my awesome therapist). I also feel am not good enough for anything, even though I *know* I am. My friends seem very confused by this aspect to me (which makes me feel a little more isolated as nobody really truly understands).

I wonder whether anyone else feels this & whether anyone else has had similar experiences & how you managed to overcome it. Is it permanent? Can we decondition ourselves? How does that work?

Hiya. I can see why your friends would be confused by this. They'd be just (normally) be assuming you were on the level, like most people are most of the time. As Lua said, if they really thought they couldn't trust you at all, they wouldn't be your friends. So, you can pretty much take it for granted that they don't see you the way you worry they might.

Just try not to drive yourself and them batshit about this. They'll be able to accept it and make allowances for it, but since they wont be able to feel it there's no point trying to make them.

My bet is you can get over this eventually, but it'll take quite a while and you will need a sense of humour. Afro

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #14 - April 14, 2014, 10:50 PM

As for your question. I think it has partly to do with the fact that you start doubting yourself and since everyone else (important) in your life didn't trust you, you have this emotional belief that everyone else is the same way.

You've hit the nail on the head about the doubting myself bit. It's so strange though, because others can't really sense it so much, much of it I manage to hide quite well (apparently). My friends were very surprised when I had a couple of wobblies out of the blue... and this whole phenomena has come out of the blue. I'm in my mid-thirties now & it's completely taken me by surprise and is fairly out of character.
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #15 - April 14, 2014, 10:53 PM

Google seriously needs to invent a Yeezevee to English translator. It'd save a lot of bother. Smiley

Hiya. I can see why your friends would be confused by this. They'd be just (normally) be assuming you were on the level, like most people are most of the time. As Lua said, if they really thought they couldn't trust you at all, they wouldn't be your friends. So, you can pretty much take it for granted that they don't see you the way you worry they might.

My bet is you can get over this eventually, but it'll take quite a while and you will need a sense of humour. Afro

I don't feel that my friends don't trust me, actually I know they do. It's probably more acquaintances and people that I don't know that well that I get this feeling with.

Anyway, I hope you're right & it's just a phase that will finish as suddenly as it started!
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #16 - April 14, 2014, 10:56 PM

Self-doubting is one of the worst things you can do to yourself. It affect everything from self-worth, decision making and how you interact with other people. I think you intellectually are aware that you are NOT a liar and everything else you've been accused of. It's the emotional part you need to get rid of. You can do it, you are not alone in this Smiley

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #17 - April 14, 2014, 10:58 PM

well TDJ that post needs dissection., needs detailed reply., I will do it later.,  but looking at points (ii) & (iii)., if I were you I would have nicked myself as Tom knight.

Spare me. My post doesn't need dissecting, least of all from you. Please don't waste your time (or mine), I am not that interested in what you have to say about my choices. You're not me, kindly desist from your persistent criticism, it's really irritating and unwanted. Why don't you take your 'humour' somewhere else, where it's more appreciated?
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #18 - April 14, 2014, 10:59 PM

Self-doubting is one of the worst things you can do to yourself. It affect everything from self-worth, decision making and how you interact with other people. I think you intellectually are aware that you are NOT a liar and everything else you've been accused of. It's the emotional part you need to get rid of. You can do it, you are not alone in this Smiley

Thanks & you're right about it affecting everything else. It is good to know am not the only person who has ever felt this (it's sometimes felt like I have been)
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #19 - April 14, 2014, 11:00 PM

Self-doubting is one of the worst things you can do to yourself.

You could always start self-doubting the self-doubting side of yourself. That'd be an infinite regression mindfuck. grin12

• On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #20 - April 14, 2014, 11:07 PM

Haha, that's something I hadn't considered & I shall try it, but where would it all end?!  mysmilie_977
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #21 - April 14, 2014, 11:10 PM

It will hopefully end in you cracking up laughing. grin12 Deliberately turning personal quirks against themselves is a trick I have used myself on occasion. Can work quite well.

• On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #22 - April 15, 2014, 02:24 AM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I grew up in a community in which zero-trust & constant accusations of immorality were made. It wasn't just me, many of my friends had the same.

It was definitely worse for girls than boys in the community I grew up in, although pretty bad for everyone. My friends & I constantly accused of doing things that we weren't (I only wish I could have done 1/10th the stuff my family accused me of!) everything from not wearing hijabs, to talking to boys, to going places we shouldn't, to talking to people we shouldn't, to having boyfriends, drinking, drugs etc etc...

I feel the exact same way you do. We can decondition ourselves. You can use cognitive behaviour therapy, and your therapist will advise you on that. I like to argue with myself.
    First I have to police myself and catch the echoes in my mind from those suspicious people I left behind. When something untrue is being narrated internally (Amriki girls are all whores, women who go out without chaperones are prostitutes,   in my country girls who dress like that are killed for it, women fitnah) I catch it and I argue back in my head. It sounds crazy but it works really well.
    One thing that also really helps is reminding myself of how each situation or negative internal narration would resonate with Western culture, and usually it is seen as completely barbaric. This reminds me that it is cultural, and not universal. You can even visualize this, explaining the scenario to a roomful of Westerners. Probably they would not even believe it. Seeing disbelief on the faces of reasonable people is a great way to prove to yourself how wrong something is, even if you have been told it is right your entire life.
    I am always trying to prove myself to people, because of exactly the environment you have described, and I also find myself more suspicious of others, because I am certain they are suspicious of me and are just not showing it. I am always waiting for them to jump down my throat and start screaming at me. I tend to isolate myself, too, and I would say my self confidence is lacking.
    The good news is that it changes. It doesn't change all at once, and sometimes that is frustrating, but change does happen. I try to take it slowly. Confidence, like independence, is a muscle you have to keep using in order for it to become strong. Just keep doing what you are doing and make sure you give yourself RECOGNITION for what you do right. This will help you to remember that you can make good choices, good conversation, good friends, etc. You have to point out to yourself that you are capable. Islam teaches and relies on dependency.
    If nothing seems to be working, and you find yourself very unhappy, ask your therapist if you need to consider medication. I take a beta blocker, and all it does is keep me from panicking. It does not change my moods or my personality, besides eliminating those episodes of verbal paralysis.
    I decided, when I left my family, that it was time to stop "being good" and start being right. All this suspicion and emotional abuse was to force us to be "good" in someone else's eyes. To be obedient. The good choice and the right choice are often not the same choices, at all. We are good enough, already. Good is a judgement I don't want, anymore.
    You are not alone, not at all. I am there with you.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #23 - April 15, 2014, 12:53 PM

Ah thank you three (sorry it wouldn't let me reply/quote properly)

It's so reassuring reading your post, am not as alone in this experience as I have felt. Like you, I've been policing myself & taking note of what I am thinking & the reasons why. In this respect I know I have come a long way. The other thing I think that has helped me when I think of the (very similar) voices of the past saying the usual judgemental bullshit, is to remember the hypocrisies of the those voices (as well as what you've described - how it would be perceived by 'normals' for want of a better word). It's probably what has kept me relatively sane throughout this.

I've tried CBT, I know it's very successful for many people, but alas, in my case not as much. I tried another type of therapy called internal family system (or parts therapy). This is quite a tricky, convuluted & sometimes messy type of therapy which doesn't work for many people, but for me, it has been very good, if somewhat painful & traumatic. I think for me now, it's less hearing those messages that you speak of, but more just the remaining self-doubt/confidence depletion as to me as a person, rather than what I am doing as a person. So, say I'm at an event about a particular subject with people I don't know, I feel overly self-conscious & like I'm some kind of a fake about to be discovered, even if & when I'm the most knowledgeable person about that particular topic. It's so odd! My voice starts to disappear & I sort of collapse inwards. I do feel an improvement though, at first when I felt this, it was pretty diabolical!

Personally, I'm very averse to taking any anti-depressants, or even beta-blockers, not because I am against them per se, but because my one experience taking them was so horrific as I had a spectacularly unusual reaction. My ex-husband & his family tried to get me medicated as well because of course, the only possible reason for me rejecting my husband, religion & daring to question everything was that I must be nuts.  Cheesy

This sentence in particular stood out for me & I couldn't have put it better myself: "I decided, when I left my family, that it was time to stop "being good" and start being right."

I don't have much time for the politics of respectability as I've found it simply a facade for other motives - repression, abuse, silencing, judging, superiority complexes etc..

Anyway, thank you (& everyone too), it's genuinely made me realise I am not as weird in this respect as I keep thinking!
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #24 - April 16, 2014, 02:19 AM

I always feel like a fake about to be discovered. No matter what company I keep. I have to know someone a very long time to stop feeling like that around them.

I had virtually no voice at all in 2012. I had to be coached by victim's advocates to speak up, my own children could not hear me talking to them.

I cannot take any anti depressants or anti anxiety medications. It makes it so that I have no coping skills for that negative inner voice, and instead of talking back to it, I just don't care. The problem is still underlying, but I become apathetic. So that does not help me, but instead exacerbates the problem, by stripping me of defenses and motivation.

The politics of respectability. I like that. I had never heard that before, and I agree with your take on it.   

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #25 - April 16, 2014, 02:58 AM

This last aspect is impacting me as a grown up. After all the undermining & accusations, I have what I think is imposter syndrome. I always feel that people think I am lying and I feel sort of anxiety & lack of confidence when I engage with others. It is impacting me at uni, work etc & am finding it very difficult to change (even with my awesome therapist). I also feel am not good enough for anything, even though I *know* I am.

I know these feelz. I have this syndrome too. True story: My mum accused me of stealing something once, I know I didn't do it, but she didn't believe me, and I ended up saying I did do it, and she said "ha! knew it" lol...

my sisters and I think of it as : at least we know what NOT to do with our future kids -.-

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

• On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #26 - April 16, 2014, 09:46 AM

I had virtually no voice at all in 2012. I had to be coached by victim's advocates to speak up, my own children could not hear me talking to them.

OMG That's exactly what happened to me. I stopped being able to talk fullstop (& in 2011/12 for me). That's when I had to start getting therapy. My voice literally disappeared. I couldn't talk anymore & for someone that tends to use 100 words when 10 will do, it was a bit of a shock, let's say. Still can't quite get my head around that sometimes (thank fuck that phase is over!)

• On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #27 - April 16, 2014, 09:47 AM

I know these feelz. I have this syndrome too. True story: My mum accused me of stealing something once, I know I didn't do it, but she didn't believe me, and I ended up saying I did do it, and she said "ha! knew it" lol...

my sisters and I think of it as : at least we know what NOT to do with our future kids -.-

The parenting experiences I had have made me never want to have kids just in case I can't help myself & become controlling & so on like they were.
  • On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #28 - April 16, 2014, 09:54 AM

I am so sorry to hear about your fucked up experiences with your parents way of raising you  Cry We all have bad experiences, but at least as Jila said, now we know what not to do with our own kids. As long as I don't turn up like my mother or father, I know I'm on the right track.

• On Imposter Syndrome
     Reply #29 - April 16, 2014, 10:25 AM

Yeah, but I don't trust myself not to, even though I know what I don't want to do.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »