Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 11, 2024, 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Muslim fundamentalists get their away again.

(Read 1378 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Muslim fundamentalists get their away again.
     OP - April 13, 2014, 02:34 PM

http://www.latimes.com/local/abcarian/la-me-ra-brandeis-muslim-students-nixed-ayaan-hirsi-ali-a-loss-for-them-20140411,0,7940815.story#axzz2ynATuqhl

Another spring, another college commencement speaker contoversy.
    In 1990, students at Wellesley College objected to First Lady Barbara Bush, who they felt was not sufficiently feminist as she had dropped out of Smith College in 1944 to get married.
    In 2006, Muslim students at Nova Southeastern University in Florida objected to author Salman Rushdie because they found parts of his novel “The Satanic Verses” offensive — never mind that he had been tormented for almost a decade by an edict from the religious leader of Iran calling for his execution.
    In 2009, it was Notre Dame University that was unsuccessfully pressured to disinvite President Obama because of his stand on abortion and stem cell research.
    This year, we have the unfortunate example of a university choosing not stand for freedom of expression, critical thinking and robust debate and instead folding under pressure.
    Good going, Brandeis University. You’re setting a terrific example.
    The “offending” speaker was Ayaan Hirsi Ali, 44, a feminist and outspoken critic of Islam who is affiliated with Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government.
    After an outcry spearheaded by Muslim students unwilling to share their moment with someone whose views they consider offensive, Ali was disinvited to the May 18 ceremony.
    “She is a compelling public figure and advocate for women’s rights,” the university said in a statement on its website. “And we respect and appreciate her work to protect and defend the rights of women and girls throughout the world. That said, we cannot overlook certain of her past statements that are inconsistent with Brandeis University’s core values. For all concerned, we regret that we were not aware of these statements earlier.”

...read more on article

I think it's a total disgrace and disservice to academia to be listen to fundamentalist demands. And seriously, "core values"?. What a pathetic set of values this institution must have.
     Reply #1 - April 16, 2014, 06:01 AM

I'm sorry, but I really don't like Ayan Hirsi Ali even though I don't think she should be banned from visiting and speaking at the university.

First of all, if we try and forget the fact that she lied about her own experiences and played on it, she still has some pretty lame and crappy arguments. She talks about western values as if they were "universal". I'm sorry, but they're not universal. "Western values" have changed tremendously over the last 50-100 years, and they will continue to evolve (to the better, I hope). These type of arguments play directly into the hands of extreme far-rights movements (which she basically has supported in one way or another). It's cultural imperialism. We have to find a middle-ground between cultural relativism and cultural imperialism, and the only way to do that is to get rid of any kind of dogma and start using reason and logic. I'm so tired of these far-right romantics who think that society was soooo much better 50 years ago when there were no immigrants or Islam affecting society. I'm sorry, but 50 years ago a woman in Sweden could get her ass whopped by her husband and it was perfectly legal. Wife-beating was the right of the husband.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #2 - April 16, 2014, 06:33 AM

^I don't entirely agree with this, nor do I think everything Hirsi Ali has said or done is right. For example, I think she could be critical of other religions realizing that they too oppressed women in the not-to-distant past, though I suppose she has been affected by Islam the most, having been affected by FGM.

However, is that why the university turned back on their invitation? Clearly it appears they did so due to pressure from Muslim societies within the university. As the article says, this also happened to Salman Rushdie, and it is unacceptable that academia is being pressured like this.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »