Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The headscarf

(Read 4939 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • The headscarf
     OP - March 25, 2014, 07:16 AM

I remember when I first started wearing scarf full time, shortly after I got married at the age of 19, my hair was thin to begin with but it started to fall even more and I had to get extra treatment and change my diet to get my hair healthy.

One of my aunts who is not religious made a comment that because of my scarf and lack of sunlight/air to my hair, but then I was like it's my hair not a plant  finmad Also I remember vehemently debating that Allah wouldn't make us do something that was bad for us and I firmly and truly believed that all Allah commanded us to do was to our benefit and couldn't harm us.

This weekend I spent a lot of time outside my chalet without my scarf and I noticed a significant change in the condition in my hair. So I decided to do some research on the topic.
    I found the following articles, although most say too much sun damages your hair.
    http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/amazing-benefits-of-sunlight-for-skin-hair-and-health/#
    http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090825082807AAeMwR8
    http://www.hairlosshelp.com/hair_loss_research/hair.cfm

Has anyone had a similar experience regarding their hair and the headscarf?

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
  • The headscarf
     Reply #1 - March 25, 2014, 08:07 AM

Wearing the scarf, covering your body, hiding your face behind a niqab; all this causes serious health problems for women. The most obvious one is the vitamin D deficiency that is caused by not allowing our skin to absorb the vitamin D from the sun (which is our main source). Then we have different kinds of eczema that is caused by lack of sun. We have the fact that obesity and other related health problems are caused because the Muslim covering inhibits its wearers to have an active lifestyle, not to mention that the lifestyle in general for a "pious" Muslim lady is extremely unnatural and unhealthy.

When I started wearing the hijab, I noticed that my hairline "moved up", it's because the scarf was constantly scarping and chafing at the hair and hairline, I had a lot of hair loss because of this. My hair has gotten much thinner (I had thin hair to begin with, so it just made it much worse). Just not wearing my hijab and niqab for three months, and being able to regularly go to the gym for almost a month, my health and looks have improved massively. I'm not talking about getting thinner or fitter, I'm talking about things like my skin slowly getting its shine back, and the general impression you see when looking at me isn't a pale sick looking person anymore. Seven years of sun deprivation takes its toll on a person. I've read other posts here by ex-Muslim women who have said the same thing, there is a significant change in your health and well-being after taking off the scarf. To me, this is just one more thing to add to the arguments against Islam as a "superior" and "natural" way of life. The Muslim way of life, if practiced, is extremely unnatural and causes a lot of problems for its adherents. 

But this is something still very taboo to talk about, especially the vitamin D discussion. Here in Sweden for example, where we have very little sun to begin with during long period of the year, it becomes even more incumbent for dark skinned people to take vitamin D supplements. Autism, which has partly been linked to vitamin D deficiency according to recsent studies, has been named "the Swedish sickness" (statistically, even if we assume that autism is better and in to greater extent diagnosed in Sweden, Somalis are over-represented as a group) by the Swedish Somali community. I think that the fact that women are covering, while being dark skinned and in need for greater dosages of Vitamin D from the get-go, is at least one factor contributing to this.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • The headscarf
     Reply #2 - March 25, 2014, 10:27 AM

Yes my hair started to fall out in clumps around the the hairline, i thought it was from wearing my hair tied back very tight everyday, so it just broke off, it felt so unhealthy.. Also muslim women can be prone to being overweight too because of the baggy clothes and neglecting their figure.. On the plus side i managed to grow a head of long hair that i couldnt otherwise..

X
  • The headscarf
     Reply #3 - March 25, 2014, 10:53 AM

Hijab enabled you to grow hair? Huh?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • The headscarf
     Reply #4 - March 25, 2014, 11:12 AM

yes, i didnt need the hair dressers you see : )  looked like a yeti 
  • The headscarf
     Reply #5 - March 25, 2014, 11:17 AM

Oh yeah, since you couldn't go to the hairdresser you looked like shit even if you tried to cut your hair somewhat properly. I went to the hairdresser a month ago and I'm looking fabulous Tongue

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • The headscarf
     Reply #6 - March 25, 2014, 11:21 AM

I always maintained a good haircut Smiley even while in hijaab (which I still wear)
    Just got a great haircut last week

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

• The headscarf
     Reply #7 - March 25, 2014, 11:23 AM

Maybe because you live in a country where they offer all-female segregated hairdresser salons  yes

• The headscarf
     Reply #8 - March 25, 2014, 11:39 AM

lol thst too, but I was never too strict about a male seeing my hair, I didnt really believe God would smite me for this so i use to go to normal hairdressers as well *shrugs*

• The headscarf
     Reply #9 - March 25, 2014, 11:42 AM

LOL that was not an option for a niqabi like myself

• The headscarf
     Reply #10 - March 25, 2014, 11:42 AM

yes, i didnt need the hair dressers you see : )  looked like a yeti 

Cheesy Good one. Afro

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • The headscarf
     Reply #11 - March 25, 2014, 04:52 PM

ha ha too funny, we didnt have any islamic hairdressers either, well at the time, so i attempted an ordinary salon many times, i had it all planned out lol, would quickly whip off my hijab in the street and make a dash for the hairdressers hopin noone would notice or that i wouldnt bump into a muslim lol.. I did in the end find one within a department store so i had a genius plan to duck down next to a rail of clothes and miraculously emerge as a western woman lol.. I didnt pluck up the courage so i ended up walking in one with my hijab on and they all burst out laughing.. Probs coz they were imaginging how to trim my hijab.. So i left and ended up cutting my own hair lol which wasnt too hard considering it was just lonnnng lol
  • The headscarf
     Reply #12 - March 25, 2014, 05:01 PM

Pretty shitty they laughed.

• The headscarf
     Reply #13 - March 25, 2014, 05:14 PM

Ye that is shitty :(

• The headscarf
     Reply #14 - May 31, 2014, 05:19 PM

So Saturdays are casual days at work, and today I wore a coral color lace off the shoulder dress, high platform heels, skinny jeans, my hair open and a brown hat. I looked and felt awesome.

It occurred to me that wearing even slightly modest versions of hijaab had an effect on my self esteem, I felt feminine to an extent, I felt less myself and more a version of what I had to be. And I use to want the attention that the hijaab supposedly takes of you.

Today I felt free, I felt myself, confident, cute and sexy. I loved something as small as feeling the wind and sun on my shoulders, having my hair blown away in the wind. Its all the small things that hijaab denies you off. But the biggest I was denied of was my self esteem and being able to be myself completely

• The headscarf
     Reply #15 - May 31, 2014, 05:22 PM

That's great to hear! Here's hoping for many more days like this.  dance
  • The headscarf
     Reply #16 - May 31, 2014, 05:27 PM

i actually never had a problem wearing the hijab once I accepted it, but i didn't realize the effect it had on me,

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »