Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Overcoming attachment to Islamic belief and Indoctrination

(Read 3531 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Overcoming attachment to Islamic belief and Indoctrination
     OP - March 15, 2014, 09:17 PM

Hello to all fellow ex-Muslims,

• How did you overcome your attachment to your parents? I am at the stage
      where even thinking about them raises painful and traumatic thoughts and feelings.

What strategy did you use to rid your mind of religious indoctrination? This is
      something that I am struggling with on a daily basis.

Would really appreciate all the help as I don't want to handle these emotions anymore. I need to move on with my life.

Reply #1 - March 15, 2014, 09:20 PM

good question  Wink let me know if you find the answer. I''m battling the same anxieties right now

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
     Reply #2 - March 15, 2014, 09:21 PM

Could you give more background? Have you moved away from your parents?

On your second point, I look around me and see that most people are getting on just fine without religion, that no-one is poisoned by non-halal meat, that looking at the opposite sex doesn't mean you're an animal. Just look around you.
     Reply #3 - March 15, 2014, 09:26 PM

good point foresight , but muslims are not open minded people. Parents won't be understanding to one leaving the faith, it's like the unthinkable, they don't see things the way we do and probably never will and that's difficult to deal with

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
     Reply #4 - March 15, 2014, 09:43 PM

There is no magic wand to wave to suddenly get past it. Different people cope different ways and how much or how little or how long it hurts is different. Give it time. It will get easier and easier, and eventually you'll be past it.

Those emotions? Don't shut them down. Don't bury them. Feel them. Process them. Let it work through your system. And then get past it.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #5 - March 15, 2014, 10:05 PM

good point foresight , but muslims are not open minded people. Parents won't be understanding to one leaving the faith, it's like the unthinkable, they don't see things the way we do and probably never will and that's difficult to deal with

I wasn't talking about parents, that's a different issue altogether ^_^
     Reply #6 - March 15, 2014, 10:09 PM

Hi infinitefriend9,

Welcome to the forum. parrot

Please don't create duplicate threads asking the same question. Perhaps the Introductions board is not the best place for this thread, but since you're new to this forum, it is fine here, in my opinion.
    Have fun. far away hug

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #7 - March 15, 2014, 11:14 PM

The indoctrination I overcome by repetition. Some mukru things I did on purpose. Most haram things I do not do, anyway, so most of it is just cultural differences. Being around the opposite gender was very hard for a very long time, but I kept at it, and now I am acceptably over it in most professional situations.
    Keep working on it, without pushing yourself too hard. It takes time and patience, and it is worth it.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »