Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Scotland

(Read 15744 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Scotland
     Reply #60 - September 19, 2014, 04:43 PM

Its a pretty simple question, in my opinion.

How could any sane person walk into a polling station, look at a ballot paper which asks "should your country be an independent nation?"  and tick the box marked no. 

Nobody in their right minds would do that.  Anything else is just bribery or scare tactics.

Evidently a lot of Scottish people consider themselves part of the broader British identity and that independence would be against their interests in remaining so.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
  • Scotland
     Reply #61 - September 19, 2014, 05:29 PM

Maybe he meant the topic 'Islam', not Islam itself Maya.

Spot on. And thanks for the concern Maya: you have me for life.

Hi
  • Scotland
     Reply #62 - September 19, 2014, 05:35 PM

Evidently a lot of Scottish people consider themselves part of the broader British identity and that independence would be against their interests in remaining so.

Great to see you btw  mysmilie_977

Hi
  • Scotland
     Reply #63 - September 19, 2014, 05:48 PM

Good on them for voting on the matter!  Afro

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Scotland
     Reply #64 - September 19, 2014, 07:24 PM

On a slight tangent...Or maybe it's a parallel? Fuck it, it could be central? Anyways, Andy Murray has got a lot of stick on the internet, and some of what he has had to take is horrendous. He is a man. And despite his monotonous demeanor, he is a passionate man and a fighter. He was unable to contain his heart any longer, similar to how the queen couldn't, when push eventually came to shove.  For his sake, and for his tennis' sake, I wish he hadn't though...

Hi
  • Scotland
     Reply #65 - September 19, 2014, 10:16 PM

Grin

Smiley

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Scotland
     Reply #66 - September 19, 2014, 10:39 PM

Just a few figures for you all to consider.  Spending figures are per capita, and are the latest official figures I have seen.

England:  £8,588 per person, per annum.

Scotland:  £10,212 per person, per annum.   (£1,624 more than the English)

Wales:  £9,829 per person, per annum.   (£1,241 more than the English)

Northern Ireland:  £10,706 per person, per annum.  (£2,118 more than the English)

The English pay a heavy price for this Union.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen.
  • Scotland
     Reply #67 - September 19, 2014, 11:48 PM

Certainly many do, but those aren't the ones that swung the vote No in the final days of the campaign. I've seen more than my share of union certification elections in the US and the tactics used by the "Vote No" campaign seem similar in both cases. In both cases undecided voters and "soft" Yes votes are targeted by the employer (in this case the state) and their rank-and-file Vote No supporters-- they use a combination of scare tactics and promises of reform which they may or may not intend to keep to swing those groups into the "No" column. This may be new to most people but I've seen the tactics used here literally dozens of times. The playbook for maintaining power and discouraging the electorate from making major changes to their conditions has not changed very much at all over the years, only the technology has, and also, in terms of general organizational principles, varies little from country to country and institution to institution.

fuck you
  • Scotland
     Reply #68 - September 20, 2014, 12:01 AM

Just look at these rascals they probably also hate JUICE

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/glasgows-george-square-turns-ugly-4290576

fuck you
  • Scotland
     Reply #69 - September 20, 2014, 12:57 AM

Scotland's scientists breathe easier after No vote

Scotland's decision to remain a part of the UK has left many scientists relieved, following concerns that independence would put support for Scottish science in jeopardy.

"I am thrilled," says Margaret Frame, director of science at the Edinburgh Cancer Research Centre. "This ensures that biomedical and clinical research – and Scotland's great achievements in delivering on this in the past – will continue unchecked."

Brian Smith a molecular biologist at the University of Glasgow, describes himself as "mighty relieved". He says the result means continued funding for science, less risk of colleagues leaving Scotland, and that it will be easier to recruit new staff.

But just as the general Scottish public have been divided on the issue, so too have scientists, and some are unhappy with the referendum's result. "I am disappointed," says Jason Reese, an engineer at the University of Edinburgh. "I would have liked to work with others to put science and engineering at the heart of a reborn country." He suggests that an independent Scotland could have built on its strengths in education to carve out a global profile in high-quality scientific education and research collaborations.

However, voters were not convinced that independence would not compromise or endanger research. "Although the 'yes' camp offered to continue to maintain the international competitiveness and standing of Scottish research, whatever the outcome of the constitutional settlement, there was considerable anxiety and uncertainty in the minds of leading academics that this could be delivered," says Steve Beaumont, an electrical engineer at the University of Glasgow.

"If Scotland had become independent, access to Research Councils UK money would have dried up," says Hugh Pennington, a bacteriologist at the University of Aberdeen, who co-founded the "Academics Together" campaign group. He believes that negotiations to ensure that an independent Scotland could still access UK public research funding would have failed.

Frame agrees. "It would have meant a great deal of uncertainty as regards research funding – which would have, in turn, made it difficult to recruit and retain highly skilled researchers." Nigel Brown, a microbiologist who was formerly at the University of Edinburgh, believes that independence would have prompted such brain drain. "My impression is that many excellent Scottish scientists would be tempted to leave. There are not enough jobs in the rest of the UK to accommodate them, so they would have moved abroad to the detriment of Scottish and UK science."

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Scotland
     Reply #70 - September 20, 2014, 01:07 AM

So members of an institution/industry behaved conservatively when they thought there might be uncertainty in the future of their institutional funding mechanism? You don't say.

fuck you
  • Scotland
     Reply #71 - September 20, 2014, 01:08 AM

Yeah. But that doesn't mean their opinions don't have any validity.

• Scotland
     Reply #72 - September 20, 2014, 01:13 AM

No it doesn't but it means anyone who has an interest in social progress or major changes to the political structure probably shouldn't give much weight to them.

fuck you
  • Scotland
     Reply #73 - September 20, 2014, 06:14 AM

Just a few figures for you all to consider.  Spending figures are per capita, and are the latest official figures I have seen.

England:  £8,588 per person, per annum.

Scotland:  £10,212 per person, per annum.   (£1,624 more than the English)

Wales:  £9,829 per person, per annum.   (£1,241 more than the English)

Northern Ireland:  £10,706 per person, per annum.  (£2,118 more than the English)

The English pay a heavy price for this Union.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen.

Although it's not really my business, this is what I was thinking as well. Shouldn't the rest of the Brits get a vote if they even want Scotland or not?
  • Scotland
     Reply #74 - September 20, 2014, 07:24 AM

Descent,

This is precisely my point.  The Scots rely very heavily on subsidies from English tax-payers, as do other regions of the UK.  This is how they manage to provide "free" prescriptions and "free" university places for Scots, and is why the English have to pay for them.  Hardly equitable, is it?

Add to this the fantastic burden placed on the UK by its membership of the EU, and it becomes patently obvious that the English tax-payer is labouring to hold together a system which holds back our own economy.

In fact, if you were setting out, today, to construct an organisation which was wholly corrupt and completely undemocratic, the EU would provide the perfect template.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen.
  • Scotland
     Reply #75 - September 20, 2014, 12:25 PM

Great to see you btw  mysmilie_977

Hola.

• Scotland
     Reply #76 - September 20, 2014, 12:32 PM

Certainly many do, but those aren't the ones that swung the vote No in the final days of the campaign. I've seen more than my share of union certification elections in the US and the tactics used by the "Vote No" campaign seem similar in both cases. In both cases undecided voters and "soft" Yes votes are targeted by the employer (in this case the state) and their rank-and-file Vote No supporters-- they use a combination of scare tactics and promises of reform which they may or may not intend to keep to swing those groups into the "No" column. This may be new to most people but I've seen the tactics used here literally dozens of times. The playbook for maintaining power and discouraging the electorate from making major changes to their conditions has not changed very much at all over the years, only the technology has, and also, in terms of general organizational principles, varies little from country to country and institution to institution.

Illustrative of the limitations of democracy. Democratic process is lame without education and activism. Democracy is just pissing into the wind if the people voting are not informed, wise and confident enough to vote progressively and willing to stake a bit more on the future instead of the status quo.

• Scotland
     Reply #77 - September 20, 2014, 01:00 PM

I honestly think I'd punch Cameron in the face if I ever met him. I can't picture it going any other way.

• Scotland
     Reply #78 - September 20, 2014, 01:39 PM

Nooooo.

I wanted Scotland to be independent.  Booooo

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
  • Scotland
     Reply #79 - September 20, 2014, 07:35 PM

They nearly made it, 45% of the vote, despite all the scare tactics from big business, and the full weight of the British establishment and media behind the No campaign.  I can see alot of no voters regretting their choice in a few years time, once all the promises have been broken, Boris is installed in 10 Downing Street and England votes them out of the EU.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • Scotland
     Reply #80 - September 20, 2014, 08:19 PM

I'll keep her.

(Clicky for piccy!)

What do you mean, "her"?

There's two of them. Unless she's got two heads.
  • Scotland
     Reply #81 - September 20, 2014, 08:21 PM

No it doesn't but it means anyone who has an interest in social progress or major changes to the political structure probably shouldn't give much weight to them.

OMG Q-Man - good to see you (I'm Hass btw  grin12)

far away hug
  • Scotland
     Reply #82 - September 20, 2014, 08:33 PM

What do you mean, "her"?

There's two of them. Unless she's got two heads.

Maybe he likes girls with two heads? It has potential I suppose.

• Scotland
     Reply #83 - September 20, 2014, 10:15 PM

Better, stronger and always together.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • Scotland
     Reply #84 - September 20, 2014, 10:22 PM

Scotland missed a great opportunity for self-determination. Sad how something as mundane as currency played such a large part in a debate that should really be about more important things such as independance, governance, identity etc.
  • Scotland
     Reply #85 - September 20, 2014, 10:29 PM

Currency isn't mundane, it would have affected all of us if the pound lost value and the UK market looked unstable to investors.

Currency+Mundane=Twat.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Scotland
     Reply #86 - September 20, 2014, 10:33 PM

Independence from what? The invading British or the tyranny of the monarchy or the totalitarian British state?

'self-governance' when elected Scottish MPs are able to represent their views in Parliament like the rest of the country? Not to mention that Scotland already is able to determine some of its laws due to devolution post 1997.

'Identity'? We see how brilliantly that has worked throughout history when attempting to establish a country. Land of the Pure anyone?

I'm from the North and don't like the amount of special attention that London receives but I understand on the other hand that London has been a beacon of enterprise and commerce for centuries as well as global rule (for better and for worse). Fuck it! I'll rename myself Ned Stark and declare myself King of the North and march south to take on the bumbling blonde twat everybody hates - BoRis Johnson.

WINTER IS COMING!

This campaign was a waste of bloody time and money and it need not have happened.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • Scotland
     Reply #87 - September 20, 2014, 10:35 PM

The Scots will surely consider you a Southerner.

• Scotland
     Reply #88 - September 20, 2014, 10:36 PM

Maybe. Or maybe there would be less rich foreigners buying up property in London and inflating the prices for us common folk.

Those are just scare tactics I believe, there are many different types of monetary setups in the world, and any of them can cause problem, as far as I know.

Not sure if the below quote is real but is quite well known

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild
  • Scotland
     Reply #89 - September 20, 2014, 10:39 PM

Scotland would of suffered if they broke away. This is a fact. Would they, after initial trials, have become a rich successful country? Who can say. Certainly not in my lifetime though.

• Previous page 1 2 34 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »