Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Scotland

(Read 15754 times)
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Scotland
     OP - February 28, 2014, 10:18 PM

Scotland is due to hold a referendum in September on whether or not to leave the UK.  Any opinions here?  Should they go it alone, or stay with the rest of the UK?

Here's a Daily Mash article on the issue....

WALES has begged Scotland not to leave it trapped in the UK with those two other mad bastards.

Wales, which shares with Scotland a minority language, tons of mountains and an affinity with alcohol, is terrified of being left alone with England and Northern Ireland.

It pleaded: “Safety in numbers, right? All Celts together? Please, you know what they’re like, always fighting and tanks and bombs and shit.

“I’d like to think I could just huddle up over here behind Offa’s Dyke and they wouldn’t notice me, but if you’re gone I’m the only one they’ve got to shout at.

“England’s polite enough but it just takes everything and gives it to spoilt London, and I can’t even understand Northern Ireland half the time.”

Wales particularly fears being drawn into sectarian arguments and being asked to give an opinion on religious questions, worshipping as it does small blue men who live in caves above the mist line.

Scotland has replied that it just can’t stand it any more and that Wales would do the same if it could, and that it’d bring Wales along if only they had contiguous borders.

It then contacted Northern Ireland asking if they needed a couple of million lunatic Glaswegian Catholics and Protestants who liked marching, petrol bombs and very specific colours.

Northern Ireland replied: “The more the merrier.”

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/wales-appeals-for-scotland-to-stay-in-the-uk-2014022183877

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • Scotland
     Reply #1 - February 28, 2014, 11:49 PM

WALES has begged Scotland not to leave it trapped in the UK with those two other mad bastards.

Cheesy

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Scotland
     Reply #2 - March 01, 2014, 04:20 AM

I shall refrain from posting Braveheart quotes, I shall refrain from posting Braveheart quotes, I shall refrain from posting...

FREEDOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Scotland
     Reply #3 - March 01, 2014, 05:57 AM

HAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Scotland
     Reply #4 - March 01, 2014, 07:41 AM

Scotland is due to hold a referendum in September on whether or not to leave the UK.  Any opinions here?  Should they go it alone, or stay with the rest of the UK?

You forgot the "Don't give a fuck?" option.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Scotland
     Reply #5 - March 01, 2014, 09:38 AM

I deliberately did not allow the "Don't give a fuck" option.    parrot

Don't give a fuck belongs to people who don't care about Scotland.   

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • Scotland
     Reply #6 - March 01, 2014, 12:18 PM

Don't give a fuck belongs to people who don't care about Scotland. approximately 99.9% of the world's population.

FIFY. Afro

• Scotland
     Reply #7 - March 01, 2014, 02:51 PM

I don't think I've made my mind up fully about it. I just find it utterly hilarious how politicians and business leaders keep bringing up annoying stumbling blocks for Alex Salmond. First it was the currency, then North Sea oil, then Standard Life bank threatening to pull out etc etc. It's like they are trolling him.
    I respect him for having the guts to propose independence for Scotland and writing a long White Paper about it, and for having the vision for a better, more modern Scotland like the Scandinavian countries.  Not sure he can pull it off though. The currency issue will be tricky to solve, for starters.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
  • Scotland
     Reply #8 - March 01, 2014, 04:45 PM

Most polls are averaging a NO vote at 9-15% higher than the YES vote, granted this is down from 6 months or a year ago, but there's a long way to go before the NO and YES votes are at level pegging.
  • Scotland
     Reply #9 - March 02, 2014, 12:38 AM

Respect to Scotland for saying they'll take in gay Ugandans as refugees.

Honestly I hope they vote no. I think we're stronger together.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Scotland
     Reply #10 - March 02, 2014, 05:43 AM

Scottish Universities take 13% of all research grants and funds from various bodies (most of which are UK-based). It would be interesting to see if the Scottish Government/Education bodies could continue providing the same funding the universities are currently receiving. I also think there will be less international students (who pay higher fees) going to independent Scotland rather than Scotland as part of the UK. I don't want Scottish education to suffer.
  • Scotland
     Reply #11 - August 18, 2014, 07:44 AM

FIFY. Afro

Apparently Tony Abbott disagrees with you, Os.  He gives alot of a fuck about Scotland's independence, he even says its the enemy of freedom all around the world.  Strong words from the Australian PM there, and I'm sure the people who elected him have something to say about whether or not they agree with him.   Tongue

(Btw, I hate Tony Abbot, he and the Irish have history).

• Scotland
     Reply #12 - August 18, 2014, 09:45 PM

Abbott is a blithering twat, in case you hadn't noticed.

• Scotland
     Reply #13 - September 01, 2014, 09:30 AM

Well, you guys voted for him.

Anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6yb5n2JEtA

• Scotland
     Reply #14 - September 01, 2014, 08:03 PM

I guys did not vote for him. Them guys did. Tongue

• Scotland
     Reply #15 - September 11, 2014, 08:24 PM

I have very mixed feelings about this, having served in a Regiment which comprised of around 25% Jocks.  Most of the Jocks I served with were good guys, and made excellent soldiers.

I also have a number of Scottish friends, all now living in England.  They are intelligent and trustworthy people, and have no axe to grind with the English.

Scots, however, have a romantic and romanticised view of their relationship with the English, often pointing to the English subjugation of Scotland as a valid reason for hating us now.  In doing this, they conveniently forget the perpetual cross border raids they made into England over many years.

The Scots (or at least Alex Salmond) are pinning their hopes on North Sea Oil.  What Salmond has failed to tell his people is that the Oil Rigs are situated in International waters, and are not owned by Scottish companies.

I think that it must be about eight or nine years ago when the government brought out statistics which showed that 60% of people in Glasgow were entirely dependent on state benefits.  Glasgow's drug problems are absolutely enormous, and the drain on the NHS is truly staggering.

At around the same time as that rather depressing report, it was also established that the English Tax-Payer supplemented Scotland to the tune of £1,300 per head of population.  Let me rephrase that for you:  Every man, woman and child living in Scotland costs the English Tax-Payer £1,300.

The Scots don't pay for their prescription charges or University Fees  ---- WE DO --- We pay it for them.

Okay, I love the Scots, and I would like them to stay in the Union, but not if they continue to belly-ache about the English.

Come to think of it, as it is England which has always had to supplement Scotland's finances, I think that we should get a vote on whether we want to keep subsidising them.  Perhaps we should get to vote on whether or not we want them in the Union.

I hope that helps.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen.
  • Scotland
     Reply #16 - September 11, 2014, 11:13 PM

I couldn't imagine scotland becoming independent, i love the fact that we are a united kingdom, i love the name : )  i often worry that scotland could turn into another northern ireland years down the line if they got independence, i would however love to see the scottish royal clans re establish their royal family, would be fun : )  what happened to them, my history is no good, i will ask good ole google again : )

x
  • Scotland
     Reply #17 - September 12, 2014, 12:23 AM

Cheeky f'kin Scots leaving us stranded with that huge domestic debt £1,377 billio.

Also the Union flag is going to look shit without the blue bits.

Late Eid Mubarak, Where's my eidee present ?
  • Scotland
     Reply #18 - September 12, 2014, 12:54 AM

hope they stay. Tories will find it easier to win when Labour lose at least 40 seats from parliament

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Scotland
     Reply #19 - September 12, 2014, 01:03 AM

I don't want a fucking Labour government anyway.

• Scotland
     Reply #20 - September 12, 2014, 08:03 AM

Billy raises a very interesting point when he mentions Scottish MP's in Westminster.  It is a fact that Scottish MP's are allowed to vote on issues which concern only England & Wales, as the current two-tier system allows the Scottish Parliament to decide on issues which are devolved to it.

If there is a NO vote, and Scotland remains in the Union, Scottish MP's should be excluded from any vote which affects only England & Wales.

Whatever happens, it is certain that our relationship with Scotland must change.  Alex Salmond's up beat assessment of Scotland's economic potential is fundamentally flawed, and it is patently unfair that English Tax-Payers should continue to subsidise benefits for Scottish people which are denied to the English.

I believe that the majority of Scots are aware of the benefits to them of the Union, and will vote accordingly.  If I am wrong, then Scotland's future prosperity is tenuous.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen.
  • Scotland
     Reply #21 - September 12, 2014, 01:15 PM

I think the Scottish referendum has moved way past petty politics, nationalism and SNP agenda for a lot of people. There has been quite a shift and a number of grassroots movements have gained quite a bit of momentum for channeling public anger and disappointment into tangible social changes.

I am so pleased to see so many people, who used to be disinterested or apathetic towards politics in general, have been campaigning, researching, discussing with friends and family. This is what politics and democracy at the ground level is supposed to be like. People engaging with and taking notice of what their government is or isn't doing, asking hard questions and trying to make informed choices.

I don't understand how some people in Scotland can say they are fed up with all the referendum talk. This is such a big decision of such profound impact! This isn't is a discussion for what fucking colour of pants we all should be wearing!

Anyway, as a nation of about 5 million people, it is pretty obvious that no matter how we vote in a general election, we rarely get the government we want. The sheer volume of England means the other nations will be sidelined. And a very London centric and Westminister approach means even other parts of England are left to languish. Something has to change. Something needs to shake the system up.

I don't think it's right that Scottish MSPs can influence matters pertaining to England and Wales, but neither do I want Trident sitting on the Clyde.
    The opportunity to have a 21st century constitution where the rights and equalities of all can be enshrined for future generations is too good to pass up.

This isn't about Scots vs English, although there are always people on the Yes and No side that are full of nationalistic pride and hate. The majority of the people in the middle have no axe to grind, but we want to govern Scotland as we see fit because we live here, and by we I mean people of all nationalities and backgrounds that reside in Scotland. We don't want "some" or "a little" power dished out as Westminister sees fit.

Scotland is given its budget from Westminister (we pay taxes too by the way) and we decide that maintaining free education and prescriptions is far more important than penalising those who need social welfare the most. Scottish MSPs have also turned down a rise in pay. But ultimately the purse strings are held by Westminister.

Given all the austerity cuts and doom and gloom, I think sometimes you have to look deep inside and believe in yourself and your abilities. No there are no guarantees that independence will sort everything out overnight and no one in their right mind thinks it will be all smooth sailing. There are knobheads in Scottish politics too. However, there are no guarantees when it comes to staying in the UK either. Will the UK even be part of the EU in a few years? Who knows!

If every decision in life was made based on fear and negativity, people wouldn't leave home, move abroad, get into relationships and many of the nations we see today would never have gained their independence.

There is very little shown in the mainstream media about all the grassroots movements for independence, such as Women for Independence, and other political groups such as the Greens that are pushing really hard for a Yes vote.
    The newspapers and news channels are really all about pushing fear and end-of-the-world scare stories. And it is certainly affecting the decision of a lot of people, especially those who are currently undecided.

If Scotland was really full of subsidised junkies, why are Westminister trying so hard to get it to stay? Surely they would be more than happy to let it go? The whiff of bullshit is strong in this one me thinks Grin

Regardless of the outcome of the vote, I hope the people in Scotland continue to remain politically engaged and feel empowered to fight the urge to privatise everything and line the pockets of the wealthy.
    The right to self determination shouldn't be based simply on whether you'd be a few hundred pounds better or worse off.
    I also hope this spurs other parts of the UK to shake off feeling helpless and take back power from those sitting in the Westminister ivory tower. The results are going to be neck and neck and I doubt I'm going to get any sleep on Thursday  dance dance

• Scotland
     Reply #22 - September 12, 2014, 10:49 PM

A very well presented argument, Sir Wankalot.

My own view on democracy is that we don't have one.  That is my starting point, and the reason I have always advocated a form of direct democracy.

The present system of governance is a parliamentary dictatorship, giving only the illusion of democracy.  Its real purpose is to maintain firm control over people, whilst bleeding them dry to maximise the profits of multi-national companies.

Proof for this is abundant enough, and I will not waste this precious space by listing the ways in which public money is used against our interests.

The EU was designed for the purpose of moving the levers of power even further away from the electorate, by building an unassailable and bumptious bureaucracy to safeguard the interests of an elite.

The gulf between government policy and public opinion is vast, but we have no remedy to change it.  All we are allowed to do is to take part in a beauty pageant every five years, and select the MP who best persuades us that he/she has our interests at heart. 

Actually, our elected "representatives" cannot represent us, as they are bound by the whipping system to vote the way they are told to vote by their party.  It doesn't matter one iota what his or her constituents think or feel, he or she will toe the party line.

For myself, I do not want to vote for political parties, I want to vote on issues.  I care nothing for what Cameron, Clegg or Milliband say, I want the British people to decide for themselves about all the major issues affecting their lives.

Now, that is real democracy.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen.

• Scotland
     Reply #23 - September 12, 2014, 11:50 PM

The internet should be enough for direct democracy in one form or another now. Worth a go, at the very least.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Scotland
     Reply #24 - September 13, 2014, 12:05 AM

Dear Absie,

I quite like the Swiss model of direct democracy, and some adaptation of it may well suit our country.

The Swiss people are Sovereign, and that is written into their constitution.  If the Swiss people decide on an issue, politicians cannot alter or add anything to it, and must abide by whatever decision the Swiss people make.

Switzerland is the wealthiest country in the World (per capita) and has the lowest crime rate in Europe.

I do not suggest that we simply adopt the Swiss system, though we should certainly look at how it could be tailored to our specific needs.

I recommend that you type "Swiss Democracy" into your search engine, and examine the possibilities for yourself.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen.
  • Scotland
     Reply #25 - September 13, 2014, 06:01 AM

I've always imagined what it would be like to have a direct democracy in the UK, one that considered everyones vote and not a selected few, it would be interesting to do an experiment to see what the publics overal opinion would be on certain matters, would we have chosen to go to war in the mid east if it was down to us as an example. 
  • Scotland
     Reply #26 - September 13, 2014, 11:36 AM

I'm very divided on this issue.

I prefer to take a neutral stance because the Scottish left is just as doctrinaire and sectarian as its English counterpart. From the supposedly (trotskyist) far left to the popular frontists, to the anarchists to the thoroughly opportunist labour party, there hasn't been any sort of coherent mobilisation. Alex Salmond (and the SNP) will probably not survive for long if independence is declared.
  • Scotland
     Reply #27 - September 13, 2014, 11:03 PM

Suki,

I certainly don't think that we would have gone to war in the Middle East if it had been a majority decision, but that is not how things currently work.  Decisions such as that are made by an elite, who take absolutely no notice of public opinion when making their decisions.

To put it very bluntly, we are just a "cash cow" to be exploited as others see fit.  The party system exists only to create and perpetuate the illusion that we have a voice, and succeeds in doing this by offering a choice of parties.  Political parties are deliberately divisive, and are intended to keep us arguing about the agendas they want us to argue about. 

While we are arguing the toss over whether Labour are better than Tory, they get on with the job of robbing us blind.  The EU has poured hundreds of millions into building superb infrastructures in former Soviet controlled Countries.  It may appear to some people that this is being done to help the peoples of those Countries, but they would be wrong.  The true reason for these great works are two fold.  Firstly, to provide first class services for the multi-nationals, and, secondly, to allow the multi-nationals to take advantage of much lower employee costs.

The former Peugeot plant in Coventry is a fine example of what I mean.  A Labour MP stood in front of a TV camera a few weeks before the plant closed, and vowed to fight tooth and nail for it to remain open.  This was disingenuous, as he knew full well that the decision had been made years earlier.  I knew two years before that event (through friends) that Peugeot had built (with EU money) a new plant in Hungary, and that it planned to close its Coventry plant.  If I knew all this, the MP in question must also have known.

Direct Democracy is the only system which would allow the British people to filter out all the dreadful deceit and corruption, and prevent politicians from enacting the bad laws which support the status quo.

I hope that helps a little.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen.
  • Scotland
     Reply #28 - September 14, 2014, 12:06 AM

I've always imagined what it would be like to have a direct democracy in the UK, one that considered everyones vote and not a selected few, it would be interesting to do an experiment to see what the publics overal opinion would be on certain matters, would we have chosen to go to war in the mid east if it was down to us as an example. 

Although our democracy is not perfect, and we get led down some paths that I personally don't want to be led down, a direct democracy sounds a bit scary. Are people informed and engaged enough to help decide really important stuff? I'm not sure.
    It's ironic, for instance, that when people were offered a referendum in 2011 on having more democracy, they rejected AV. From the people I talked to at the time, I wasn't entirely convinced that some of them grasped the reasons for their rejections. In fact, after talking to a few of my friends, I wasn't even convinced afterwards that they should be allowed to hold pens without supervision, let alone be allowed to use those pens to cast votes to decide the direction that out great country should take, in matters such as Europe for example.

Hi
  • Scotland
     Reply #29 - September 14, 2014, 12:31 AM

To Scotland:

kws - please don't go: http://youtu.be/60fqp2rLUR4

Hi
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »