Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: I could not think of a title, but how about nerves?

(Read 2346 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • I could not think of a title, but how about nerves?
     OP - February 17, 2014, 01:29 PM

Nerves. Been lurking around for a while, like what I see, read Amoku's valiant introduction post and after having to indirectly use simplified logic to help a six-year-old child fend off a new-convert-to-Catholicism parent's attempts to "save" the child and push "facts" about the earth being 6000 years old, and believing in Jesus or going to Hell, this recent incident struck one nerve too many. 

The straw that broke the camel's back, making me decide to introduce myself today, is Gatestone Institute's latest news articles about a translated letter describing terrible prison conditions and signed by prisoners in Ward 350 of Tehran's Evin Prison in Iran, as well as Reza Shahabi's deteriorating condition in the same ward.   

Background:  Never belonged to any religion, had to fend off christianity in my teens, and now, it's Islam. Grandmother was a taoist, freethinkers make up my family. There are four main religions in the country where I live, and this rojak (ie mish-mash resembling salad) means they compete with each other by having to be as peaceful as possible.  Or to be more exact, for christianity and catholicism and Islam, as ignorant of their own religion as possible.  Those I have met of these three religions don't seem to have actually read their books to make sense of it, relying on those who teach them.  The teachers are the biggest culprits.

Experiencing university overseas was a huge advantage, given the research, dissection and argumentative skills I had to hone for my degree. These skills became very useful, especially when I was given an english copy of the Qur'an published by goodreads and distributed for free by an Islamic bookstore. Yes, someone is trying to lead me to "the true faith".

One thing led to another, and in my almost-finished research, I finally stumbled across this forum.   

The greater a ridiculous claim, such as belief in a most gracious most merciful Allah or going to Jahannam regardless of good deeds and words, the more it inspires me to summarise an irrefutable argument to completely demolish the enemy.  Ignorance, slavery and apathy are enemies. Wisdom is my religion. Or to be more exact, I quote Thomas Paine:  "The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion."

Seeing the stress of some ex-Muslims living in my country and being unable to tell their family because of fears and consequences (such as ostracisation from family and community), even though Islam is not dominant here? I want to help many. And in turn, I may need your help, in knowledge.   

In short, a giant neurosis fused with an insecurity complex and zero sense of humour is not my idea of paradise. Besides, I like watching Jon Stewart's Daily Show, and his witty existence is not compatible with "Allahu Akbar!"

PS OT, but how do I post up videos in the metal music thread?     

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Hence it is sometimes necessary to give the beholder a black eye of context and proportion."
     Reply #1 - February 17, 2014, 01:31 PM

Just copy and paste the video link (hyperlink) into the box.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #2 - February 18, 2014, 12:42 AM

Welcome to the forum. Have a parrot. parrot

Do you mind if I ask what country you're from?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #3 - February 18, 2014, 01:10 AM

parrot
    Welcome!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #4 - February 18, 2014, 02:40 AM

Welcome to the forum noble Archaea, please take this rabbit.  bunny

I hope you enjoy it here!  Afro

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #5 - February 19, 2014, 07:17 AM

Hi Archaea,

Welcome Smiley Have a parrot parrot

Sounds like you are from Singapore?

Cheers - I hope you will enjoy it here Smiley

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #6 - February 20, 2014, 11:33 AM

Thank you, Jedi  Smiley

Quod, I am in Singapore. Very modern = diluted interpretation of Islam's oldest sources eg depending on how one is taught by the religious teachers (and depends on where the religious teachers are from, their own knowledge, plus their intentions), some Muslims have no idea what a tafsīr is.  One ex-Muslim was taught that hadiths come from the Qur'an, which is not true.  They have no idea where their Shahadah comes from, and the exact words are not found in the Qur'an, but a hadith.

That ex-muslim had a shock when I pointed out how to correctly interpret Sunni Islam: look at the oldest authoritative sources of tafsīrs and hadiths (reading Sahih Muslim and Sahih Al-Bukhari from Islamic sites was indescribable, especially volume 82 and volume 52 of Sahih Al-Bukhari), know the structure beyond 5 pillars of practise and 6 pillars of iman, understand classification of hadiths, and go back to a time when there was no internet, no modern technology, and everything had to be interpreted based on how they understood Islam during the time of its oldest authoritative sources (which also includes no modern interpretations and no modern words added to arabic dictionaries after 1930s, when the whole deluge of claims about "scientific miracles" started).  Will welcome any corrections or additions to whatever I mention.

I was thinking: Has anyone started a thread whereby Ex-Muslims describe how they learned about Islam from their former Islamic division eg Shia, Ahmaddiya, etc, depending on the country and area they are from? It might be interesting to see the differences. 

Thanks, asbie and three, I am learning a lot. And you guys are really patient!

Nikolaj, I'm sure I will. I enjoy visiting the nordic countries, and at one point I spent time on repeat trips to Sweden because of connections.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Hence it is sometimes necessary to give the beholder a black eye of context and proportion."
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »