Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: New Member :), I've waffled on a bit so apologies in advance.

(Read 8287 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • New Member :), I've waffled on a bit so apologies in advance.
     OP - February 13, 2014, 02:43 PM

Hello, I'm new to the site and I just wanted to introduce myself. I was brought up in a moderate Christian family but I learnt most of the verses of the Bible at school. I did believe in the existence of God as a child but as I became older and fascinated with Science, I naturally began to wonder what the most probable cause of the Universe was and what created life on Earth.

I often heard religious people explain that there must be a God because complex things like 'the human eye' could not have just happened by chance and therefore God must have made it. That raised two important and rational concepts in my then, young mind. First of all, God is meant to be omnipotent and omniscient, the most powerful entity in the world. It must be infinitely complex, yet religious people believe it happened first and by chance, I found this extremely illogical and impossible to believe. Although the 'Big Bang' is only a theory, it seemed far more probable and believable than the God creation concept.

Secondly, using the example of 'the human eye', I knew that it didn't happen by chance, it happened through millions of years of natural selection through evolution. There is definitive proof (using fossils and primitive life forms still alive today) of how the eye evolved from a very primitive instrument, to the very complex one we see today. Evolution of animals and homo sapiens is also not a theory anymore, it's a fact. There is no missing link in the evolution of humankind as many religious people like to believe.

I decided to study Science at University which only strengthened my belief that the likelihood of God was improbable. However, the event which broke the camel's back was when I decided to read the Bible for myself, warts and all. I was quite shocked at how obvious it was that there was no divine inspiration and that it was clearly written by the men of that time (I still don't know how women can accept the obvious sexism).

After years of being Agnostic, I happened to have a very interesting conversation with a Muslim taxi driver. He explained how incredibly brilliant and knowledgable the Quran was. He explained that it was nothing like the Bible and was full of scientific miraculous facts that couldn't have been known at the time.

Obviously his enthusiasm for this holy book really rubbed off on me and I decided to read it with an open mind. The more I read the Quran, the more I was confused as to why he thought I should read it (maybe he didn't think I would and would merely believe his words).

To me there's not one sentence that couldn't have been written by a man or men at the time. There are no scientific miracles and the theme of the book seems to be more about vengeance, hatred and hell, rather than inspiring morals, humanity, ethics and love within people.

If we hypothetically asked the question; "if we know for 100% fact that Allah is fictional, could Mohammad have produced precisely the same Quran"? With all other variables being the same, the answer is certainly 'Yes'. For me it's so clear it's actually slapping you in the face on almost every page. Everything in the Quran either relates back to Mohammad's life or directly influences Muhammad's future life for the better. The Quran is not influenced by Allah but by the interactions Muhammad had with his Grandfather, as well as the different tribes, religions and even the findings of previous scientists, astronomers and cosmologists. Unfortunately for Mohammad, some of the scientific, astronomical and cosmological principles that he thought were facts at the time, were only theories that have long since been dispelled.

I'll only mention two of the numerous supposed miracles of the Quran expressed to me by Muslims I've met; the spherical Earth and embryology, but hopefully I can discuss more in the future. You only need to study the 'Classical Antiquity' to realise Mohammad and the Quran was centuries out of date even at the time of conception. The Earth was discovered to be spherical over 1000 years before Muhammad was born by Phythagorus, then later coo-berated by Paramenides, Artistotle and many more. Philolaus as early as 5th century BC discovered that the Earth was spinning and Oenopides determined the angle between the plane of the celestial equator, and the zodiac (the yearly path of the sun in the sky). He also found the tilt of the Earth to be 24°. Samos 4th century BC disproved the common consensus of a geocentric universe for a heliocentric one, where the Earth was not the centre of the Universe but orbited the Sun. Eratosthenes 3rd century BC not only knew that the Earth was spherical, but he also calculated the size of the Earth within 2%. Some Greek scientists were also aware that the Sun was in fact, a close up star, very different from Mohammad's strange description of stars.

There are many more examples of known literature at the time of Muhammad that was far more accurate than his interpretations. It's clear Muhammad believed in a geocentric universe where the Sun orbits the Earth and he wasn't aware of the Earth spinning on a titled axis. He wasn't even sure on the shape of the Earth even though every respected Greek scientist were in agreement that it was spherical.

You may wonder why Mohammad was so far behind known scientific discoveries. I believe it's because he was influenced more by the beliefs of other religions and in particular the Syriac Christians and monk Bahira. 'Flat Earthism' lingered longest in Syriac Christianity, which tradition laid greater importance on a literalist interpretation of the Old Testament. Authors from that tradition, such as Cosmas Indicopleustes, presented the Earth as flat as late as in the 6th-7th century.

With regards to embryology, the description in the Quran is by no means a miracle, it's not even ahead of its time. If you read the work carried out by Aristotle and particularly Galen (2nd century BC) it is clear their work influenced the description in the Quran, although Mohammad's description is severely lacking in detail and is inaccurate compared to modern science. It is no wonder why Mohammad was so ambiguous and gave little detail when talking about scientific facts unknown to him because the more ambiguous and less clear you are, the harder it is to disprove. You would think a prophet of God would be well ahead of his time in his scientific knowledge rather than being well behind mere mortals that were alive 100's of years before he was born.

I have many more reasons to refute the Bible and the Quran which no doubt I will express in the future. However, finding the CEMB and reading comments from very knowledgeable people has given me much hope for the future.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that people who have the courage to question the validity of Islam are themselves visionaries of their time. Banuch Spinoza opened the doorway to the 'Age of Enlightenment' for Christianity. The purpose of this cultural movement in Europe was to reform society using reason, to challenge ideas grounded in tradition and faith, and to advance knowledge through the scientific method. It promoted scientific thought, skepticism, and intellectual interchange (notice the similarities to many conversations that happen on CEMB every day).

It was a revolution in human thought which was opposed to superstition and intolerance. Imagine what could be achieved if Islam went through the same cultural movement. I firmly believe the Quran has held back human rights, gender equality, scientific enterprise and innovation throughout the Islamic World for centuries. I'm hopeful that the insightful and erudite members of the CEMB can have a really positive and purposeful influence.

Sorry for waffling on :/ ha.

• New Nember :), I've waffled on a bit so apologies in advance.
     Reply #1 - February 13, 2014, 03:16 PM

Welcome!

mmmmm waffles

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #2 - February 13, 2014, 03:25 PM

Looking forward to hearing from you... pccoffee
    signwelcome

Deaf, dumb, and blind, they will not return (to the path). (al-Baqarah 2:18)
     Reply #3 - February 13, 2014, 03:25 PM

Hello and thank you, Homer is like a God to me Smiley haha.
     Reply #4 - February 13, 2014, 03:27 PM

Thank you S.A.M, I really appreciate the site because I'm fascinated with Religion, Philosophy and Science but my friends are not ha.
     Reply #5 - February 13, 2014, 04:37 PM

Brilliant intro Craig. Welcome to the forum. Have a parrot. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #6 - February 13, 2014, 04:51 PM

Thanks Quod Smiley
     Reply #7 - February 13, 2014, 06:55 PM

Ah yes...Craig...I've been expecting you ever since I entered your dreams.

Welcome home.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #8 - February 13, 2014, 07:15 PM

Ah Yes, Master Jedi, I knew we'd meet ha. I forgot to mention that Oenopides discovered the Earth's tilt 1000 years before the Quran was written so I've added it. Mainly because I read that someone was tryin to say the Quran was the first to mention it (even though it doesn't really describe Earth's tilt at all).

I could've wrote a million words dispelling the Quranic miracles because I've been sent so many propaganda you tube videos from various people that I just had to have a little rant ha. It's just a little annoying that some people believe the Quranic miracles and give prudence to them (even convert to Islam sometimes) when really they're taking the credit away from great scientific minds of the past.

Reply #9 - February 13, 2014, 07:17 PM

You ever notice that if Mo was the first to discover something it's a miracle, but it's never a miracle if someone else does it? Funny that.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #10 - February 13, 2014, 07:57 PM

For me  there are no miracles in the Quran..

Deaf, dumb, and blind, they will not return (to the path). (al-Baqarah 2:18)
     Reply #11 - February 13, 2014, 08:21 PM

You're right S.A.M. and that's true Quod but I genuinely don't think that Mohammad made any new scientifc discoveries that weren't known at the time. If he made any predictions, it was only a matter of probability that he would be right some of the time, like any human would.

The extremely ambigous way the Quran was written, along with the ancient Arabic text where words have many different meanings, resulted in a book where almost anything can be interpreted anyway the reader wishes.

This next thing I find fascinating and proves my point; A challenge was made by Michael Drosnin:

"When my critics find a message about the assassination of a prime minister encrypted in Moby Dick, I'll believe them" (believe my theory of finding miracles in texts).
    (Newsweek, Jun 9, 1997)

Note that English with the vowels included is far less flexible than Hebrew (even more so with ancient Arabic) when it comes to making letters into words and words into meanings. Notice how many miraculous assassinations the modest novel 'Moby Dick' predicted:

http://cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/dilugim/moby.html
     Reply #12 - February 13, 2014, 09:33 PM

I've never seen that before. Nice.

Reply #13 - February 13, 2014, 09:57 PM

Nice one, you're very intelligent so that's good Smiley. There's been many done, 'Twilight' has many miracles hidden inside it.

I gave a Muslim a hypothetical question a few weeks ago which he initially answered but then changed his mind after I explained the concept. My question was:

"Is there any chance that life started on Mars before Earth", his reply; "Of course not, I've read the Quran, it never mentions it and it goes against everything the Quran states"
    My response - Yes, that is correct, however, there is a growing theory that there were  meterorites that landed on Mars and they displaced marshin land (that was covered in micro organisms) and travelled to Earth, therefore starting life. If this theory was ever proven true, Quranic theologians would spend countless hours trying to support the theory that life started on Mars. That's the way it goes and always will be, bless them ha.
     Reply #14 - February 13, 2014, 10:09 PM

So why did he change his mind? And actually you could work that quranically. Eden was never on Earth in islam, it was in heaven. Adam and Eve were cast down from paradise to Earth. So, you know, 7 heavens and all that. Of course, there will have to be a lot of cognitive dissidence since that would means that mars is a planet and there are more than 7 planets in our solar system. I'd actually be quite entertained watching them rationalize it.  bunny

Reply #15 - February 13, 2014, 10:33 PM

Ha to be fair I don't think they could and I'm sure the '7 heaven' has no reference to the planets. Mohammad was so far behind the even known science of the time. Imagine if he discovered the 'Great library of Alexandra' he would've seemed well ahead of his time. Alas, he was actually well behind the time and living in a prehistoric dream land.
     Reply #16 - February 13, 2014, 10:39 PM

Yup.

Reply #17 - February 13, 2014, 11:55 PM

Welcome to the forum!  parrot

Me: Hey Allah!
    Allah: KAFIR!
     Reply #18 - February 14, 2014, 02:20 AM

parrot

I thought Eden was a controlled environment. A spaceship. It wasn't? SciFi fans everywhere are crying...

Welcome.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #19 - February 14, 2014, 12:52 PM

Thank you T.M.M.T and Three. As it happens I'm a huge Sci Fi fan myself. What would cause you most concern, that we are alone in the Universe or that we're not alone? Ha
     Reply #20 - February 15, 2014, 03:03 AM

I think if we were alone it would upset too much, mathematically, statistically. It can't be.

Please tell me your favorite SciFi author.
    Mine is Frank Herbert. I read everything he ever published, but I am not fond of his son's books. They have no subtlety, though I appreciate the background he tries to shed on histories of the Dune worlds.

Reply #21 - February 15, 2014, 03:31 PM

Yea I agree that there must be life on other planets when you look at the sheer size of the universe and the fact that there are 10 times more stars than there are grains of sand on Earth. Whether or not they've evolved enough to be able to bend space and time to travel to different galaxies is another question.

To be honest, most the science books I read are factual rather than fictional but I love to watch Sci Fi programmes and films Smiley, did you ever watch the Fringe Sci Fi series? That was really good.
     Reply #22 - February 15, 2014, 09:28 PM

No, I have not seen the Fringe series. I confess to being behind on my television.

Reply #23 - February 16, 2014, 10:56 AM

I would def recommend getting the series on DVD, there's some great science in it and opens the realms to the possibility of life on other planets Smiley.
     Reply #24 - February 16, 2014, 11:32 AM

What did you specifically study (or are studying) at university?
     Reply #25 - February 24, 2014, 08:40 PM

Hi sorry I've just noticed your comment. I studied Physiology and Biomechanics at University. I graduated quite a few years ago though ha, have you studied at University too?
     Reply #26 - February 25, 2014, 05:22 PM

Awesome, it is very interesting to read about animal methods of locomotion and processes behind them. We can learn a lot from nature and apply it to our own technology.

I'm about to enter university in September to study Physics.
     Reply #27 - February 25, 2014, 05:33 PM

In jolly old England.

Reply #28 - February 26, 2014, 07:38 PM

Very true Descent, it was a fascinating Degree but I'd love to study physics. Which University are you studying at?
     Reply #29 - March 02, 2014, 01:46 AM

Hi, yeah i'd been a convert for many years and too discovered through reading history that embryology in the quran, exact word for word was previously written by the greeks (cant remember which guy)... With regards to the earth and planets that is very ancient knowledge going back to the sumers and beyond, they had maps of the stars and planets...  In the quran, there's the mention of the split of the two seas, mentions other aliens like ourselves living on other planets, it even locates where the male sperm is produced in the spine etc, etc, but all this is probably old scientific discoveries of older civilizations..   i was pretty much deflated when i discovered the quran/embryology myth..    I placed Islam aside after that and started to read this other book called Urantia, claims to be the newest revelation by angels, it was a very fascinating read, amazing book but i was let down again by little errors,  for example, it talked of mohamed being born of a virgin, i think angels would get that part right Smiley...  anyway, nice to meet you all, peace..
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »