Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Linguistic Miracle summarised (and debunked)

(Read 5878 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Linguistic Miracle summarised (and debunked)
     OP - January 26, 2014, 09:48 PM

For the many, including the proponents of this argument, who do not understand it, this is basically the most accurate and comprehensible summary of the linguistic miracle that you will find. It is not always set out like this, or in this order, but this is the backbone of the argument.

Stage 1.
    'Miracle' is first redefined to be an event outside the productive capacity of nature. We no longer care about the normal definition of a violation of natural law. Then we change the definition a few more times, relying on obviously fallacious arguments, lying about the quran, and plagiarism to justify it, until what we end up with is an incredibly mundane definition of the word 'miracle'.
    Now, a miracle basically means something innovative, or pretty unusual.

stage 2: Now we spend a long time going into the irrelevant details of how the quran is in fact 'pretty unusual' in terms of its language. There is some really funny stuff in this segment. key highlights are 1. The quran containing more rhetorical devices than Eminem (even though it doesn't); 2. The illiterate author of the quran authoring a book which is inherently different to the books of literate men (not poetry not prose etc.); 3. The quran is different to a pizza.

stage 3 Then we simply assert that nobody can imitate it, even though obviously we can, and so what if we couldn't. A couple of attempts to justify this assertion are attempted, but I feel typing this crap would be a waste of a few bytes of memory.
    Therefore goddidit.
  • Linguistic Miracle summarised
     Reply #1 - January 26, 2014, 11:13 PM

Stage 1 of the argument in a bit more detail:
    Defining the word miracle

1. miracle = violation of laws of nature, but that definition sucks because its "incoherent"
    2. it is incoherent because we wouldnt know if we have a genuine miracle or merely a lack of knowledge of natural law. Philosopher Bilynsky agrees that Hume's definition is "incoherent" (Using a Bilynsky quote to prove it)
    3. The Islamic definition of miracle can be inferred from the story of Moses turning the staff into a snake.
    4. The islamic definition of miracle is much more "coherent".
    Now a miracle is "an event outside the productive capacity of nature"

problems
    1. the original definition of miracle is not "incoherent". it is perfectly coherent. Are they telling us they don't understand what it means? It is incomprehensible?

2. The problem that they identify is not a problem of coherency. It is a problem of detection. It is true that confirming a miracle would be difficult, but that doesn't make the definition incoherent.
    The problem of identification is a property that is shared by all things that don't exist. All imaginary things are very difficult to detect. This is not actually a definitional problem at all, and we don't get to just redefine the word just because a miracle is hard to detect. A 'ghost' is still "an apparition of a dead person" even if actual ghosts are proving hard to find.

3. Bilynskyj does not agree that the 'violation of natural law' definition of miracle is incoherent. Bylinskyj is talking about the concept of a miracle being incoherent, not the definition, and even then, only incoherent under a certain understanding of natural law, an understanding that Bilynskyj rejects.

4. The Bilynskyj quote (in Hamza's essay) isn't even a Bilynskyj quote. It is a plagiarised parapharsing of Bilynskyj, written by William Lane Craig. The 32 page citation to this non existent one line Bilynskyj quote is also copied and pasted from Craig.

5. Even if the problem of detection were a relevant problem, the new definition has the exact same problem. What method do we have for determining if some event is within or beyond "the productive capacity of nature"? At least, with the standard definition of 'miracle', we could refer to scientific laws of nature. but now we don't even have a hypothetical chance of confirming a genuine miracle.

6. The new definition of miracle is not 'the islamic one'. So that would be lying about the words of Allah. Naughty naughty.

7. Even if you somehow considered it reasonable to infer form the story of Moses and the magic staffsnake this new definition of miracle, that would still only make it the biblical definition. No Islamic input required.

8. This new definition is in fact again plagiarised from William Lane Craig (Sometimes Craig is referenced. Sometimes the definition is claimed to come from Islamic scholars, or the quran)

9. Even after we have massaged the definition of miracle into the the dog chewed shape it is already in, we still haven't finished. We have to add a few the more words into our definition (to make it correlate with the way the definition is actually being applied in the argument).
    Previously we had arrived at the definition of "an event outside the productive capacity of nature",
    But now, our definition is 'an event outside the productive capacity of the nature of the event)'

10. now we have added those words, it makes grammatical sense for us to equivocate with a different  definition of the word 'nature', and hopefully nobody will notice.
    The word 'nature' amongst others, has these two possible definitions:
    1. the phenomena of the physical world collectively
    2. the basic or inherent features, character, or qualities of something.
    It is rather obvious that Craig's definition (or even if we did want to pretend it is 'the Islamic one') is referring to 'nature itself'. i.e, the new definition of miracle we were asked to accept was using the first definition of 'nature', but the linguistic miracle argument is forced to use the second which emerges from the sleeve of the linguistic miracle proponent.

So the tortoise has misunderstood what he plagiarised and lied about and didn't have any justification for proposing in the first place, and then modified it until it is even worse that the original 'violation of natural definition.  That is, 'even worse' with regards to the problem of actually knowing whether you have a miracle - a problem that was incorrectly identified, and irrelevent anyway.

11. If we are pretending that the problem of detecting a miracle means we get to change it's definition, and if we are pretending that this (non) problem only applies to the original definition, rather than to both; there is still no reason for us to care about the issue raised. If there is is a genuine problem here (and there isn't), it is only a problem for events which at the very least 'appear' to violate natural law.

We are told that we might consider something to be a miracle for it to turn out later to be explainable by science and natural law.
    In other words our 'violation of natural law' definition is too generous. Because of inherent limitations in our knowledge of natural law, It oversubscribes miracles. There is a risk of 'false positives' when identifying miracles..

However do not have to worry about whether we have a 'false positive' result, because we don't even have a positive result at all. Does the quran appear to violate natural law? result: Negative. No law of nature is violated by any combination or permutation of Arabic words. All logical combinations and permutations are possible. The quran is one of the logically possible combinations and permutations of Arabic words, and just for shits and giggles, i can and have proven this with a computer program.

We can afford to be generous and use an overly generous definition; still no miracle.

12. The actual definition used by the time we get around to talking about the quran gets modified further. By then, we have to ignore the 'productive capacity' part of the definition. So by then, we are merely referring to something that is 'outside the nature of some event', and by 'nature' we mean simply the basic character.
    What does it mean to be outside 'the basic character' of something?
    It would be out of character for one of these dawah monkeys to ever say anything intelligent, but I wouldn't call it a miracle. Unusual, sure.

and 'im not sure I can be bothered to go into the rest of the argument right now.
    Everything above concerns the definition of a single word, and I'm sure i have missed a couple of problems too. Untangling the mess of this argument is not plain sailing.
  • Linguistic Miracle summarised
     Reply #2 - January 26, 2014, 11:24 PM

popcorn

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #3 - January 27, 2014, 10:54 AM

I have a feeling hamza wont be such a rockstar as zakir naik in his golden days before the controversies about him arrived .
     Reply #4 - January 27, 2014, 11:05 AM

Why dont you actually go message/talk to Hamza about it?

I'll stay tuned.  popcorn
     Reply #5 - January 27, 2014, 11:14 AM

Because:
    I attended a few of his webinars. He ignored my comments. I contacted him on twitter. He ignored me there too.
    I posted on his facebook page. My posts were deleted, and I am banned. Same thing with the iERA facebook page.
    But most importantly of all, I know for a fact that he is an idiot, so it is not as if I am curious if he can defend his argument. I know he cannot. He hasn't even read his own sources, so what chance does he have?

However, he is welcome to join this site and refute me. We have a one one debate section. I'll even let him call on his helpers if he is truthful.
     Reply #6 - January 27, 2014, 11:30 AM

It's funny that the linguistic miracle is the only miracle that the Quran ever claimed to have, and it is therefore the best it could come up with for an ultimate irrefutable argument. Forget the scientific miracles, and forget the mathematical ones, the real "proof" is that no one can come up with anything like it, according to undefinable criteria.
     Reply #7 - January 27, 2014, 12:21 PM

Because:
    I attended a few of his webinars. He ignored my comments. I contacted him on twitter. He ignored me there too.
    I posted on his facebook page. My posts were deleted, and I am banned. Same thing with the iERA facebook page.
    But most importantly of all, I know for a fact that he is an idiot, so it is not as if I am curious if he can defend his argument. I know he cannot. He hasn't even read his own sources, so what chance does he have?

However, he is welcome to join this site and refute me. We have a one one debate section. I'll even let him call on his helpers if he is truthful.

Ok thats interesting.  Smiley

Refute. Strong choice of words.  Wink
     Reply #8 - January 27, 2014, 12:58 PM

I have a feeling hamza wont be such a rockstar as zakir naik in his golden days before the controversies about him arrived .

What controversies?

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #9 - January 27, 2014, 04:27 PM

^ controvorsies such as
    * twisting the scientific miracles of the quran and telling half lies .
    * his indirect support of islamic terrorist group such as al qaeda in one of his shows by calling them soldiers of islam or something .
    * his mocking of other religions leading to banning of peace tv in certain countries like india .
    * yeah and of course , not just non-muslims , but certain muslims also hate him leading to fatwas against him .
     Reply #10 - January 27, 2014, 04:36 PM

There's a fun quote attributed to Al-Razi:

"You claim that the evidentiary miracle is present and available, namely, the Quran. You say: "Whoever denies it, let him produce a similar one".

Indeed, we shall produce a thousand similar, from the works of rhetoricians, eloquent speakers and valiant poets which are more appropriately phrased and state the issues more succinctly. They convey the meaning better and their rhymed prose is in better metre.

By God, what you say astonishes us! You are talking about a work which recounts ancient myths, and which at the same time is full of contradictions and does not contain any useful information or explanations. Then you say: "Produce something like it..."
     Reply #11 - February 11, 2015, 09:07 PM

I've been thinking about it, isn't the "Qur'an challenge" as some sort of defeater to non-belief basically an argument from silence?

I'm yet to see the argument in its logical form, so the above is pretty much an open question.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #12 - February 11, 2015, 09:56 PM

i think the actual point being made in the quran isn't as silly as the apologists are saying. it isn't a good point. It is kind of a childish boast and threat, but it isn't the ridiculous argument that it is dressed up to be.
    Muhammed would find this stuff about Eminem not having 4 rhetorical devices per word pretty ridiculous too. I don't think it is supposed to be objective. I think it is better like that, because otherwise it would be objectively wrong.
     Reply #13 - February 11, 2015, 10:10 PM

I would like to see more dawah boys engaging in formal logic. It's tedious trying to see which logical forms their arguments do or don't (attempt to) follow.

Reply #14 - February 11, 2015, 10:34 PM

Material logic too.

Reply #15 - February 11, 2015, 10:38 PM

Basically, logic in general.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »