Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Afghani politician has to flee

(Read 1929 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Afghani politician has to flee
     OP - January 16, 2014, 04:31 AM

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/14/fghanistan-politician-hiding-women-rights

Noorzia Atmar never wanted to leave Afghanistan. Not even after the beatings, knife attacks and bitter divorce; not even when her ex-husband turned up at her new workplace with a gun and sent thugs to the shelter where she had sought refuge. Only when the threats targeting her spread to include other women living in the shelter did she feel she had no choice but to flee.

The western countries that supported her outspoken advocacy for women's rights as a politician said their hands were tied: strict refugee laws meant they couldn't help her while she was still in Afghanistan. "The only embassy that responded was the US embassy. They came to talk to me but said it was not possible to provide asylum or a visa," Atmar said. "The only option was to leave for another country and apply from there."

So, three years after travelling the world as a prosperous, powerful politician, she now lives in a single, grubby room in an alien territory in extreme poverty, afraid to go out in case someone recognises her and reports her whereabouts back to Kabul.

"I love my country and even though I was under threat in some way I tried to get work, not to be lazy or rely on anyone else," she said by phone from her precarious refuge. "The situation pushed me to leave. No one respects women in our country. It is really difficult to find a space just to live."

This is some bad PR. No one is surprised, though.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #1 - January 16, 2014, 05:09 AM

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/15/west-legacy-afghanistan-peace-presidential-election
     Reply #2 - January 19, 2014, 06:52 PM

Poor woman having to flee like that. The situation is ridiculous! Can't understand why she feels like she loves her country any more though given how so much of her country is anti-her and anti-women at all. The whole situation is ridiculous!
     Reply #3 - January 19, 2014, 07:01 PM

Most have an attachment to their geographic region.
     Reply #4 - January 20, 2014, 02:57 AM

Soon its president will flee too.

He seems to be scared of taliban all the time anyway.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »