Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Gender segregation approved

(Read 9713 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Gender segregation approved
     OP - December 15, 2013, 05:12 PM

Gender segregation is just tip of the iceberg, promises Michael Gove

In response to Universities UK’s recent report recommending gender segregation in lecture halls in order to accommodate the idiosyncrasies of faith based organisations, the Education Secretary Michael Gove has promised to propose legislation in time for the next election cycle to make gender segregation in all public spaces a legal requirement.

The landmark Universities UK report was in response to an incident which occurred at a lecture held within the famous St George lecture hall at Newcastle University. During the lecture delivered by Prof. Lawrence Krauss and Dr. Hamza Tzortzis titled ‘Which Makes More Sense: Islam or A Life of Meaningless Existence?’, it is believed that a man may have walked too close to a woman, both of whom were not related to one another. When details of this incident were leaked online it sparked a sudden explosion of unrestrained hysteria amongst the women’s rights community.

After the incident the West Midlands Police Service and MOSAD were forced to reveal statistics relating to complaints they had received from attendees of desegregated religious (read ‘Islamic’) events. According to the reports 33% of women complained about non-mahram hands invading their feminine empowered air space, 58% of the women reported non-mahram men looking at them twice when entering and exiting the hall and 67% allege that they were being visually undressed.

More on this exclusive news at: http://jediapostate.blogspot.co.uk/

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #1 - December 15, 2013, 05:35 PM

clap

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #2 - December 15, 2013, 08:41 PM

Thanks Quod.   Afro

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #3 - December 16, 2013, 12:59 AM

When you publish your book, please include the press release that inspired this. Are you going to be one of those douchebag authors who require I fork over extra cash for a signed copy? Because then I am going to grab a bunch of them and run when I get up there after waiting in line for my copy at your signing. I am a miser like that. 

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #4 - December 16, 2013, 01:46 AM

ha, nice one  Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #5 - December 16, 2013, 01:04 PM

Another brilliant post by Jedi.  Afro

When you publish your book, please include the press release that inspired this. Are you going to be one of those douchebag authors who require I fork over extra cash for a signed copy? Because then I am going to grab a bunch of them and run when I get up there after waiting in line for my copy at your signing. I am a miser like that. 

make sure to steal a copy for me.  parrot

"so now, if you leave (Allahu A?lam is you already have) what will u do??? go out and show ur body to all the men??? sleep with countless men?? maashaAllah if you think think this is freedom or womens right then may Allah guide you to that which is correct."
     Reply #6 - December 16, 2013, 01:43 PM

I'm sorry I hate to be a killjoy on this, but unless the muslimahs are protesting against the gender segregation themselves, IMO I don't see any reason why we should respect that as long as the religious event is held by muslims. Yes, I know about the violation of women's right and all that but obviously you can't expect muslimahs to understand that language, worse they may even perceive the act as condescension. So all these protests and fuss about gender segregation aint gonna do a damn thing but lead to counterproductivty and hostility from them.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #7 - December 16, 2013, 03:24 PM

^ Well, I was a niqabi muslimah (now I am a niqabi murtadah) and I agree with you on one point. I don't know if protests do any good if it's about an ALL-Muslim event and the protesters are non-Muslim. Muslim women should get involved. But here us the problem. Muslimahs who actually do NOT like the gender segregation, I HATED it most of the time, get silenced and accused for not being "pure" enough. The dominant discource is that gender "mixing" is haram. But that leads to gender discrimination since the best seats, best visiul and audio access is given to men. Muslim men and women learn that any interaction between themselves is taboo so when a sister wants to participate or be more active, or just do something normal like entering a room to get her coat where muslim men are having a meeting (nooooo sister ayb), she is scolded and frowned upon (for example me).

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #8 - December 16, 2013, 04:25 PM

What ways are women discriminated against or penalised for having a vagina at Islamic events?

Sit at the back.

Can not verbally ask questions.

Are the last to leave.

Can not approach the speaker.

Can anyone mention any other ways?

Reply #9 - December 16, 2013, 08:26 PM

Women are often not included in the equation, lecturer adresses the men because the women are invisible

Audio is often very poor

Ability to participate is non existent (due to all the reasons stated), no personal relation with the scholar and therefore women are deprived from the possibility to gain deeper knowledge and understanding. I know, being a student of knowledge...

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #10 - December 17, 2013, 03:32 AM

What ways are women discriminated against or penalised for having a vagina at Islamic events?

Sit at the back.

Can not verbally ask questions.

Are the last to leave.

Can not approach the speaker.

Can anyone mention any other ways?

Mine might not be universal. Here is the remainder for me:

Do not sit with flesh showing, not even a toe.

Do not look at men.

Do not sit across from, next to, within a straight line to, any man

Do not raise your voice to an audible level.

Do not take notice of any man.

Answer all questions from male family members, afterwards, in private, to prove you paid attention to the speaker and not the men in the audience.

Leave first, as you are in the back, and you should not be visible to a parade of men filing past you.

Do not linger. Do not.

Do not speak to women unknown to your male family members.

Reply #11 - December 17, 2013, 05:05 AM

I'm sorry I hate to be a killjoy on this, but unless the muslimahs are protesting against the gender segregation themselves, IMO I don't see any reason why we should respect that as long as the religious event is held by muslims. Yes, I know about the violation of women's right and all that but obviously you can't expect muslimahs to understand that language, worse they may even perceive the act as condescension. So all these protests and fuss about gender segregation aint gonna do a damn thing but lead to counterproductivty and hostility from them.

Doesn't matter if it's an event hosted by muslims.  If it's at a government funded university or any government institution then sad day for them they have to live by the laws of this country. End of story.

If it's at a private university then I don't care.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #12 - December 17, 2013, 11:26 AM

And with this kind of attitude, it becomes a vicious circle and the drama continues.Its not like they will impose gender segregation in other events hosted by non muslims in UK universities innit?.  Why not focus on the debate rather than make mountains out of molehill....Meh! I'm way too apathetic to bother myself with this.

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #13 - December 17, 2013, 12:11 PM

Cato, you must understand by allowing privileges for one religious group other groups will start demanding their own special treatment. For some religious denominations it is very easy to spin out discrimination using scripture. Happen to be a person of "colour"? Well you are cursed as black skin is curse from God visited upon Cain. By all right and scripture a black person should never receive an education and should be slave. No interracial marriage. Full racial segregation so those that are "pure" can not be tainted by those that are cursed. For that matter we should just deport anyone that is too dark as was done with Cain. Sorry God's will an all /shrug

Sooner or later that molehill will be a mountain.

Reply #14 - December 17, 2013, 12:26 PM

Well, good luck with eliminating gender segregation in a muslim society with a protest via blog or on the streets but if we are going to be pragmatic about this, its a futile attempt The cause for a movement ought to start from within, not from outside otherwise we are just going to look like Uncle Tom interfering other people's business in the name of enlightening them.

Reply #15 - December 17, 2013, 12:57 PM

A movement could start from these protests. In Canada many Muslims wanted sharia courts for civic courts. Non-Muslims started to protest. By the end of the protests, over days, the largest organization group against Sharia courts were Muslim women. At time people within want to speak out but there is no support system for them to do so. Perhaps now some moderates, or reformers, realize different people can join together for a common goal. Besides issues within society can be solved by those outside of the issue. External pressure can force change or at least force those within to reevaluate their views and reform.

Reply #16 - December 17, 2013, 01:29 PM

Well, good luck with eliminating gender segregation in a muslim society with a protest via blog or on the streets but if we are going to be pragmatic about this, its a futile attempt The cause for a movement ought to start from within, not from outside otherwise we are just going to look like Uncle Tom interfering other people's business in the name of enlightening them.

It's not necessarily about gaining ground or changing hearts and minds. It's more about defending ground we already have, defending non-segregated universities. It's about not being willing to compromise a sound precedent and defending that precedent. Permitting UK university events to be segregated by race, gender or sexuality is a step backwards towards the insane voodoo superstitions and tribal taboos of unevolved savages.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #17 - December 17, 2013, 02:05 PM

otherwise we are just going to look like Uncle Tom interfering other people's business in the name of enlightening them.

Yes, but this is not "us" interferring in a Muslim country "far, far away", and "you don't understand brown women" being repeated over and over again everytime "non-brown" people raise their voices against sexist and misogynist practices. This is a secular democracy where Muslims try to impose their sexist values and practices on both Muslims and non-Muslims in a non-religious setting. I would go berserk if Muslims in my university tried to pull something like this off, I would be the first one to protest regardless if it happened when I was still a Muslim, or now when I'm a kafir. Muslims should stop seing themselves as some special people with som special right to "freedom of religion", a freedom they would never give to anyone else in a shariah country...

Reply #18 - December 18, 2013, 03:29 AM

Another brilliant post by Jedi.  Afro
    make sure to steal a copy for me.  parrot

You got it. As long as I can do the same at your signing. Still miserly, here.

Reply #19 - December 18, 2013, 06:29 AM

It's not necessarily about gaining ground or changing hearts and minds. It's more about defending ground we already have, defending non-segregated universities. It's about not being willing to compromise a sound precedent and defending that precedent.Permitting UK university events to be segregated by race, gender or sexuality is a step backwards towards the insane voodoo superstitions and tribal taboos of unevolved savages. [/b]

So they shouldn't provide a facilities or permit a place for a religious meetings? I'm not talking about academic meetings and lectures. Just religious meetings.

@Corniflower
    I would go berserk if Muslims in my university tried to pull something like this off, I would be the first one to protest regardless if it happened when I was still a Muslim, or now when I'm a kafir. Muslims should stop seing themselves as some special people with som special right to "freedom of religion", a freedom they would never give to anyone else in a shariah country...

And what if it is a voluntary gender segregated religious meetings where men and women are seated side by side comfortably (men at the left or women at the right or vice versa) rather than men at the front and women at the back? Are you gonna go berserk and be the first one to protest against?

If this was the case of an overt forced segregation to the point where muslimahs are complaining about it and they are ignored I would gladly join and protest. But I don't see that.

Reply #20 - December 18, 2013, 07:22 AM

So they shouldn't provide a facilities or permit a place for a religious meetings? I'm not talking about academic meetings and lectures. Just religious meetings.

What do you mean by religious meetings? That could mean anything from getting together and singing Kumbaya to preaching hate speech from the pulpit. Not everything of a religious nature is appropriate for a university to endorse or facilitate. Things should be judged on their individual merit and utility, not on whether they are religious or not.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #21 - December 18, 2013, 07:35 AM

Gender segregation is just tip of the iceberg, promises Michael Gove

Fuck, Jedi, you nearly caused a heart attack! I mean I wouldn't put it beyond Gove to come out with asinine tripe akin to this, if you see where I'm coming from, comrade...
     Reply #22 - December 18, 2013, 04:39 PM

They do have facilities for such meetings, for clubs students form. This was not the case in this situation.

And what if it is a voluntary gender segregated religious meetings where men and women are seated side by side comfortably (men at the left or women at the right or vice versa) rather than men at the front and women at the back? Are you gonna go berserk and be the first one to protest against?

From my understanding it was voluntary until people decided to not volunteer, which is their right under a voluntary system. The seating was supposed to be left and right. Once a few people decides to sit where and how they pleased other become offended or uncomfortable. The idea of a voluntary seating system went right out the door.

Reply #23 - December 18, 2013, 06:49 PM

Fuck, Jedi,

I was happy then...

...and soon after I spiralled into depression.

Thanks for getting my hopes up!

Reply #24 - December 19, 2013, 05:37 AM

They do have facilities for such meetings, for clubs students form. This was not the case in this situation.

From my understanding it was voluntary until people decided to not volunteer, which is their right under a voluntary system. The seating was supposed to be left and right. Once a few people decides to sit where and how they pleased other become offended or uncomfortable. The idea of a voluntary seating system went right out the door.

Then I have nothing to argue further.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »