Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: New Member

(Read 19078 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3 45 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
     Reply #90 - March 05, 2014, 08:58 AM

So which of these do we assume to be true, if any, and why?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #91 - March 05, 2014, 09:25 AM

I reading about it...looks interesting

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/75496/god-vs-logic/p8

Deaf, dumb, and blind, they will not return (to the path). (al-Baqarah 2:18)
     Reply #92 - March 05, 2014, 10:24 AM

S.A.M

Could you tell me what, other than a nice phrase, the "Scrolls of Abraham" are, and could you point me to the corruptions and alterations in the texts that antedate the Quran. Give me a few - say 5 - examples.

Can you explain the curious understanding of the Torah - the standard traditional Jewish belief is that whilst these contain records of God's words and actions in history, they were - bar the last 8 verses of Deuteronomy ( traditionally ascribed to Joshua ) - written by Moses, and there's no real implication that Moses was taking divine dictation apart from the commandments.

Can you explain the curious (mis)understanding of the Gospels - prior to Islam no-one ever claimed that these were revelations FROM God as such, rather they were understood as the written testimonies of ordinary men who were "witnesses" to history/reporting on the acts, miracles, wisdom, life, death and resurrection of Jesus.

Can you explain what you mean by some scholars believe the Dead Sea Scrolls come from the Psalm origin - your phrasing is very unclear. Which scholars? I'm fairly sure that you've never read any of the Qumran texts, or even have the slightest idea what they actually are - so I'm assuming that these aren't your own words. Can you explain what is meant by the implication that God gave the Psalms to David - are the Psalms examples of God's earlier, more creative and better phase in his poetic career?

The Eddas are collections of Norse mythology. QSE is pulling your leg.

Reply #93 - March 05, 2014, 10:26 AM

Hi ThatMuslimGuy

Just a question, you don't happen to be the same ThatMuslimGuy as TheStudentRoom, do you?
     Reply #94 - March 05, 2014, 03:36 PM

In Quran says. “Will they not then ponder on the Qur'an? If it had been from other than Allah they would have found therein much incongruity.”

This is a clear challenges to our intelligence.

Yea it is a challenge alright; for Muslims though, to come to the realization that the verse itself is an error. See http://captaindisguise.blogspot.com/2013/02/qurans-error-sura-482-if-quran-had-been.html
     Reply #95 - March 05, 2014, 07:58 PM

S.A.M

Could you tell me what, other than a nice phrase, the "Scrolls of Abraham" are, and could you point me to the corruptions and alterations in the texts that antedate the Quran. Give me a few - say 5 - examples.

Can you explain the curious understanding of the Torah - the standard traditional Jewish belief is that whilst these contain records of God's words and actions in history, they were - bar the last 8 verses of Deuteronomy ( traditionally ascribed to Joshua ) - written by Moses, and there's no real implication that Moses was taking divine dictation apart from the commandments.

I am sorry, I am not the person of the scripture to show, which one is the revelations of corruption or which one has been modified. Preferably you ask academicians or religious scholar about it.

Here I tell some of the earliest and most credible sources Islamic scholars comments about changes in the content of the verses of the Holy Torah.

c. 0-50 AH Shortly after the Prophet’s (PBUH) death

Ibn Abbas............Misinterpreted the text

“They corrupt the word means they alter or change its meaning, yet no one is able to change even a single word from any Book of God. The meaning is that they interpret the word wrongly” – (Kitaab Al-Tawheed, Baab Qawlu Allah Ta’ala, Bal Huwa Qur’aanun Majeed, fi lawhin Mahfooth) and “The word Tahrif [corruption] signifies to change a thing from its original nature; and there is no man who could corrupt a single word of what proceeds from God, so that the Jews and Christians could corrupt only by misrepresenting the meanings of the word of God” (Muhammad Isma’il al-Bukhari, quoted in Hughes’ Dictionary of Islam, p.62) – these ahadith indicate that those who walked with the Prophet (PBUH) believed the text of the Torah was original, while holding the view that the Jews perverted their interpretation.

154 AH 164 years after the Prophet’s (PBUH) death

Ibn al-Layth........... Misinterpreted the text

In the year 796 Abu l-Rabi Muhammad ibn al-Layth (a courtier to Kalif Harun al-Rashid ) penned a letter1 to Constatine VI stating that the word “tahrif” should be read as the Jews had distorted their sense. “Whoever looks in the books of the prophets will find Muhammad (PBUH) mentioned, but the people of the book have obscured these references by changing their interpretation”. Ibn al-Layth categorically denies the possibility of passages having been added to, or omitted from, the scriptures, and he then goes on to use the text of the Torah as proof of the authenticity of the Torah (a belief both he and the kalif share).

1 Risalat Abi l-Rabiʿ Muhammad ibn al-Layth allati katabaha li-l-Rashod ila Qustantin malik al-Rum

213 AH 223 years after the Prophet’s (PBUH) death

Ibn Rabban..... Misinterpreted the text

In the year 855 Ali ibn Rabban al-Tabari reaffirmed what al-Layth said2 before him, that the Jews distorted their interpretation of the scriptures and not of the text itself. Both al-Layth and ibn Rabban connected prophecies contained in the Torah to Muhammad (PBUH).

2 Kitab al-din al-dawla

c 190 AH 200 years after the Prophet’s (PBUH) death

Ibn Qutayba..... Misinterpreted the text

Ibn Qutayba used the Torah as a proof that the coming of Muhammad (PBUH) had been foretold by the Torah… throughout his numerous works like al-Layth he used the Torah as source of authentic historical reference. There can be no question that Ibn Qutayba believed tahrif to mean incorrect interpretation of a genuine text.

c 230 AH 240 years after the Prophet’s (PBUH) death

Al-Ya’qubi.......... Misinterpreted the text

Ahmad al-Ya’qubi accepted evidence from the Torah throughout his works. This stands as a testament to his belief that the Torah was uncorrupted, as no scholar would use a corrupted text as a source of proof.

c 250 AH 260 years after the Prophet’s (PBUH) death

Al-Tabari........... Misinterpreted the text

Abu Ja’far Muhammad ibn Jarir al-Tabar explains two separate instances of the word “tahrif” in the Torah:

When Moses ordered the Israelites to express their repentance, they used a phrase other than the one they had been commanded to use. The distortion that was an oral one, and not written.

Al-Tabari explicitly states that when the seventy elders that had accompanied Moses (PBUH) to Mount Sinai returned to the Israelites, some of them gave a false report of what they heard, distorting G-d’s spoken words, but not the written Torah.

c 290 AH 300 years after the Prophet’s (PBUH) death

Al-Baqillani............. Misinterpreted the text

Abu Bakr Muhammad ibn al-Tayyib al-Baqillani was of the opinion that the words of Moses were still extant in their Hebrew original and that the Jews had inadvertently made mistakes in their translations.

305 AH 315 years after the Prophet’s (PBUH) death

Al-Ma’sudi.......... Misinterpreted the text

Abu al-Hasan Ali ibn al-Husayn ibn Ali al-Mas’udi wrote3 that in the context of the Torah the word “tahrif” means that the Jews had distorted the sense of the Torah and not the text.

3 Muruj adh-dhahab wa ma’adin al-jawahir

c 340 AH 350 years after the Prophet’s (PBUH) death

Al-Muqaddasi.......... Changed the text

Al-Muqaddasi was the first author to deviate from the traditional understanding of “tahrif” with his suggestion that the very text of the Torah had suffered distortion. It took 300 years for a scholar to suggest this innovative idea and despite it being incompatible with the view of far greater scholars before him, it is this view that is most popular today.

390 AH 400 years after the Prophet’s (PBUH) death

Ibn Hazm............ Changed the text

The most influential accusation of Jews falsifying the text of the Torah came 400 years after the death of Muhammad (PBUH) from Ibn Hazm an Andalusian scholar that denied Mosiac authorship and instead charged Ezra (Uzair) with penning the text we read today.4 This was a radical change from predecessors like Ibn Qutayba and Al-Tabari who not only believed the original words were extant, but that it was Ezra who reinstated them after they had been forgotten.

4 Al-Fisal fi al-Milal wal-Ahwa wal-Nihal

390 AH 400 years after the Prophet’s (PBUH) death

al-Biruni.......... Misinterpreted & changed the text

Abu Rayḥan al-Biruni a contemporary of Ibn-Hazm found prophetic allusions to Muahammad (PBUH) in the Torah 5, while simultaneously holding the belief that some of the words had been altered by Banu Yisrael.

5 Athar al-baqiyah

In the words of Sheikh Abdul Hadi Palazzi

In classical Arabic, this word [tahrif] can either mean “alteration” (in the text), or “misinterpretation” (in the sense). While most of contemporary Muslim propagandists take only the first possible meaning into consideration, plenty of authoritative scholars of old (including Imam al-Ghazali and Shaykh Muhiddin Ibn ‘Arabi) prefer the second one, and support their point of view through ahadith which are universally accepted as authentic. According to one of them, the Prophet Muhammad asked the Jews of Medina to bring their Torah Scroll and to read from it to confirm a verdict (and the argument is “were that Scroll adulterated, the Prophet would have never judged on its base”). According to another hadith, he met Jews who were bringing a Torah Scroll in procession, kissed the Scroll and said “amantu bika wa amantu bima fik” (I believe in you and in yours contents). The argument here is “were that Scroll adulterated, the Prophet would have never said ‘I believe in your contents’.”. As a Muslim scholar, I think that showing all these and other legal proof in Islam is the best way to lead Muslims to recognize the Divine character of the Torah as the Jews have it today.

Can you explain the curious (mis)understanding of the Gospels - prior to Islam no-one ever claimed that these were revelations FROM God as such, rather they were understood as the written testimonies of ordinary men who were "witnesses" to history/reporting on the acts, miracles, wisdom, life, death and resurrection of Jesus.

So far what I know misconceptions about that Trinity only. Beyond that, you're out on your own what the Christians sholar own speak about the Gospel of corrupted or not by Paul of Tarsus.

Let’s not forget that Jesus himself refused to perform a miracle when asked by the Pharisees. Also let’s not forget how the Jews called Jesus POSSESSED when he revived a dead person. Many of prophet of God was mocked and when they performed miracles they (Jews and unbelievers) still did not believe..

Can you explain what you mean by some scholars believe the Dead Sea Scrolls come from the Psalm origin - your phrasing is very unclear. Which scholars? I'm fairly sure that you've never read any of the Qumran texts, or even have the slightest idea what they actually are - so I'm assuming that these aren't your own words. Can you explain what is meant by the implication that God gave the Psalms to David - are the Psalms examples of God's earlier, more creative and better phase in his poetic career?

The Eddas are collections of Norse mythology. QSE is pulling your leg.

I've read a little bit Dead Sea Scrolls. And what I know about the Dead Sea Scrolls the Scholars do not agree that the Dead Sea Scrolls are original or genuine from Psalms.

I have no idea about the Zabur. There is any implication or not.

Reply #96 - March 05, 2014, 08:48 PM

Yea it is a challenge alright; for Muslims though, to come to the realization that the verse itself is an error. See http://captaindisguise.blogspot.com/2013/02/qurans-error-sura-482-if-quran-had-been.html

What I read on the blog site, there is a hot debate between you with Muslims.

So here what you want me to say about it.

Reply #97 - March 05, 2014, 09:00 PM

The jewish prophecy is very clear on the messiah and the prophets. Neither Jesus or Mo lived up to it. Why should the jews believe Jesus or Mo's word over god's word?

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #98 - March 05, 2014, 09:07 PM

Sum Eris..
    The jewish prophecy is very clear on the messiah and the prophets. Neither Jesus or Mo lived up to it. Why should the jews believe Jesus or Mo's word over god's word?

Don't you know that the conflict between Jesus of and the Israelite (Pharisees) falsified texts? Before Muhammad was born estimate 600 yrs apart.
    Jesus accuses the Pharisees for hypocrisy because they had abused their teaching authority by teaching false things, not living according to what they taught, and for the desire for power.

Jesus was the first person called Israelites Pharisees as Jews . Today, the whole world call all Israelite as Jews.

Reply #99 - March 05, 2014, 09:16 PM

That has nothing whatsoever to do with what I said.

Reply #100 - March 05, 2014, 09:45 PM

I don't know, ask YHWH about it. It is mentioned in the Torah Deut 18:15, 18:18 and Genesis, 21.19-21.

Reply #101 - March 05, 2014, 10:03 PM

You don't know why jews should believe god?

Reply #102 - March 05, 2014, 10:14 PM

What I read on the blog site, there is a hot debate between you with Muslims.

Say whatever you think about the argument presented (preferably after you have tried to understand the argument properly).

Reply #103 - March 05, 2014, 10:37 PM

I don't know, ask YHWH about it. It is mentioned in the Torah Deut 18:15, 18:18 and Genesis, 21.19-21.

Those are about Jesus not Mo. Nonsense like this happens when you have no idea what you are talking about.
     Reply #104 - March 06, 2014, 05:19 AM

Say whatever you think about the argument presented (preferably after you have tried to understand the argument properly).

Well, this is my personal point of view, at the time before I find out the truth teachings of Islam I set aside or discard all beliefs about Islam.

I challenge the Lord if Islam the true faith shown by Muhammad. Allah himself who must prove the Islamic religion that pleased Him not Mohammed. Route discover the truth is very burden which I almost despair.

After going through all the challenges with Allah, (that's been all incomplete). At one time I was sitting thinking what have I gone through, without me knowing it the teachings of Islam I set aside or discard all beliefs about Islam came back in my mind memories as well as verses of the Quran.

The question of who is they? "Will they not then ponder on the Qur'an? If it had been from other than Allah they would have found therein much incongruity."

captndisguise...Who is "they"? Is it ordinary people or Muslim, non Muslim, Ahl Al Kitab, Pious, Righteous etc who "ponder on the Qur'an"

Reply #105 - March 06, 2014, 06:04 AM

Those are about Jesus not Mo. Nonsense like this happens when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Let’s set aside the Deut 18:15/18, Gen 21:19-21 and Isaiah 29:12 because I know, no matter what... Christian and Jewish believe that the prophet mentioned in Deut, Gen, Isaiah and John is Jesus. And Muslims are still believed that Muhammad is the prophet Moses foretold.

Reply #106 - March 06, 2014, 06:14 AM

No offence, but I don't really think you're the kind of person he was challenging. I'm willing to bet his challenge was more aimed at people who are able to argue coherently and substantively and are not 1000 years behind in the religious debate, still muttering silly vague folk wisdoms and deepities in response to structured arguments and pointed questions.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #107 - March 06, 2014, 06:20 AM

You don't know why jews should believe god?

As far I as know, they (Jews) do not worship Yahweh or God (Allah). They follow the teachings of the Tanach ( 3 sections: Torah (Instructions), Nevi'im (Prophets), K'tuvim (Writings) not OT because they believe the OT was thoroughly altered to support the teachings of Christianity not a valid religious text within Judaism.

Reply #108 - March 06, 2014, 06:28 AM

Yes but you reckon it's all the same god. Tongue

And in any case it's common for Arabic Christians to call their god by the standard Arabic term: Allah.

You don't seem to know much.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #109 - March 06, 2014, 06:48 AM

Yup, not much about the teachings of Jewish.

Israelite and Jew two different meanings. What I mean not all Israelites are Jews.

True Israelites are not Jews. ..Jew is the legitimatize code ordained by Allah for all mankind include Muslims as well…And it doesn’t matter whether you are Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhist etc… in any one of you have a wicked heart of unbelief, in turning away from God is considered as Jew too...

Jew means Al-Yahud and Al-Yahud literal meaning wicked hearts in Arabic...[their tongue utters what their wicked hearts have devised)

Many people incorrectly thought the meaning of Jew. They consider all Bani Israelite are the Jews.

Maybe you one of those people also thought that all Bani Israelites are Jew.. grin12 dance  Tongue

Reply #110 - March 06, 2014, 10:31 AM

Reply #111 - March 06, 2014, 10:44 AM

Plumbing new depths of dumbfuckery for science. This is like taking Trieste to the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #112 - March 06, 2014, 12:12 PM

S.A.M

At the risk of violating the very sensible dictum of never arguing with fool in case bystanders can't tell the difference. Just to clarify one of your howling misconceptions - religious Jews emphatically do, and always have, believed in God. Trying to redefine words because reality stands as an inconvenient contradiction to what you/the Quran say is a bit bankrupt - you do actually have to deal with real phenomena and real history at some point as you can't magically define the problems away.

Giving me a list of assertions by a variety of scholars that simply restate that the Jews corrupted their texts - either in the "correct" interpretation or in terms of fabric of the text itself isn't very illuminating, and compeltely fails to answer the question. Disappointing.

If you want to know about the Scrolls of Abraham, perhaps you should look up a text called the Testament of Abraham - it was a widely known and disseminated text ( there are early translations of it extant in all the major languages that would be of interest ) in the Second Commonwealth/early Christian era. It's quite possible that the Quranic references are to this work - it was certainly known in Ge'ez, which means that it would have been current in the South Arabian Christian/Jewish era prior to the advent of Islam.

Your bafflegab about the Dead Sea Scrolls still makes no sense - which scholars arguing about what Psalms, and what are you referring to by original? Your failure to give even a minimally accurate description of what the Scrolls are  - easily accomplished in a short paragraph - simply highlights that you know nothing about them beyond the name.

Israelite denotes the era when the "Jews" were inextricably tied to a geographical location ( Israel/Judea ) and a national-political corporate identity - this definition already begins collapsing in the sixth century BCE, and Judaism spreads beyond a simple national/ethnic identity. There were vast numbers of converts to Judaism in the 500 years before Christianity began - throughout the Persian empire, massively in Ptolemaic Egypt, across Asia Minor and the entirety of the Mediterranean basin; some historians estimate that in the first century CE perhaps 5-10% of the population of the Roman Empire was Jewish. The religious identity was already in transition from a national/ethnic identity to something more universalist - the Pharisees were part of that tradition ( as opposed to Sadducees/Zadokites/Zealots, who were political chauvinists ).
     Reply #113 - March 06, 2014, 12:58 PM

josehphus...Are you Jewish? If No, then what religion are you?

Reply #114 - March 06, 2014, 01:05 PM

Either respond to the substantial points he makes or don't say anything at all. Stop your trolling or you'll be restricted. You've already spent time this morning lying about Hassan. Now debate in good faith, or don't post anything. Comprendez?

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #115 - March 06, 2014, 01:08 PM

Why do you assume he has a religion?

Reply #116 - March 06, 2014, 01:12 PM

Either respond to the substantial points he makes or don't say anything at all. Stop your trolling or you'll be restricted. You've already spent time this morning lying about Hassan. Now debate in good faith, or don't post anything. Comprendez?

I just him if there's anything wrong with it..

Billy, if you dislike me..just permanent ban me..

Reply #117 - March 06, 2014, 01:14 PM

Why do you assume he has a religion?

If josephus is a Jew.. I am interested to know more about Judaism teachings..

Reply #118 - March 06, 2014, 01:17 PM

Sam, you're restricted. You've spent the morning telling lies about one of our members and the rest of it trolling despite being asked to address the points being made.

This will be reviewed by other moderators and a decision on whether or not to de-restrict you will be made in due course.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #119 - March 06, 2014, 03:09 PM

S.A.M

I'm an atheist - but my lack of religious convictions is irrelevant to the debate and my irritation at the cliched and clapped-out nonsense that you're repeating; the fact that you can't, won't and don't answer my queries is, sadly, just par for the course. If you want to know about Jewish teachings, then go and read the works of Jewish teachers and thinkers - or is that too strenuous an ask?
  • Previous page 1 2 3 45 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »