Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
April 16, 2024, 07:25 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: New Member

(Read 19046 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
     Reply #30 - December 12, 2013, 10:13 PM

No it is very Islamic to contemplate and think and reflect. There is no concept of blindly follow.

Well, that's one interpretation. Another interpretation would be the total opposite, that Islam aggressively discourages free-thought and scrutiny and that absolute unquestioning compliance is the ideal. On almost every page, the Quran calls the non-believer stupid, or blind, or stubborn, an inferior thing to be shunned and despised, exemplars of disobedience and violation. That a good Muslim should trust in Allah absolutely and fear going astray under threat of the most terrible punishment possible. That the message is clear to the best people and any doubt is a weakness, a corrupting evil leading one astray. Preached in the tone of sinister and obsessive urgency.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #31 - December 12, 2013, 10:15 PM

Like I said, it's been a while. I'm quite happy to say I might be mistaken. So you think the flood was regional? Or it's metaphorical?

It was to Noahs people. Just as various other nations were destroyed in different ways. People of Lot. Ad and Thumud etc
     Reply #32 - December 12, 2013, 10:21 PM

Well, that's one interpretation. Another interpretation would be the total opposite, that Islam aggressively discourages free-thought and scrutiny and that absolute unquestioning compliance is the ideal. On almost every page, the Quran calls the non-believer stupid, or blind, or stubborn, an inferior thing to be shunned and despised, exemplars of disobedience and violation. That a good Muslim should trust in Allah absolutely and fear going astray under threat of the most terrible punishment possible. That the message is clear to the best people and any doubt is a weakness, a corrupting evil leading one astray. Preached in the tone of sinister and obsessive urgency.

An interpretation based on what?

I think your conflating Allah's views on those who disbelieve with - reflecting and thinking about if Allah exists or if the Quran is from Allah.

Im not saying one should not fear going astray. One should fear this.

Im saying we should reflect on if Allah exists or not. On his signs. Something that if was Haram then it would be impossible to give Dawah or call people to Islam or to even believe in the religion as you have no reason to believe in said religion or no reasons to invite others to.

You could not preach with wisdom.

Allah calls for reflection upon his book in many various verses. Another infamous one being:

Sahih International
    Then do they not reflect upon the Qur'an? If it had been from [any] other than Allah , they would have found within it much contradiction.
     Reply #33 - December 12, 2013, 10:25 PM

So did you go from no god to prime mover/deistic god to theistic and then coming too the conclusion it's allah specifically?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #34 - December 12, 2013, 10:35 PM

An interpretation based on what?

On reading the Quran.

I think your conflating Allah's views on those who disbelieve with - reflecting and thinking about if Allah exists or if the Quran is from Allah.

Allah doesn't feature on the list of things I believe can possibly exist, so whatever its views might be are not going to figure into my assessment of Islam. Whether that's conflation or not, I'm not so sure.

Im not saying one should not fear going astray. One should fear this.

Im saying we should reflect on if Allah exists or not. On his signs.

... by trusting in what the Quran says, because to not do so means being punished? That's not the kind of thing I have in mind when I think about a safe space where reflection is encouraged. I think, rather, it is overt and astonishingly simple-minded emotional blackmail.

Something that if was Haram then it would be impossible to give Dawah or call people to Islam or to even believe in the religion as you have no reason to believe in said religion or no reasons to invite others to.

I didn't say Islam is consistent. The idea of dawah and the idea that only Allah can change a mind are both doctrines of Islam.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #35 - December 12, 2013, 11:00 PM

And that, is what we call the truth

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #36 - December 12, 2013, 11:55 PM

(the science of hadeeth)

This thread was never going anywhere.
     Reply #37 - December 13, 2013, 12:14 AM

ThatMuslimGuy, just because the qur'aan SAYS that it promotes you to think and reflect about the world, it doesn't mean that it actually holds true to its claim, at least in the way you describe it. What Islam really says is "You can think and reflect...as long as you do not reach the conclusion that Islam is not true. " If there are restrictions put into what you can ponder about, then you can't consider the possibility that you are wrong. This is the reason why questioning is an unIslamic thing to do. Regarding the verses you posted, they are just reasons stated by Allah to indicate that Islam is true. This is different from promoting people to QUESTION Islam.
     Reply #38 - December 13, 2013, 12:25 AM

Im saying we should reflect on if Allah exists or not. On his signs.

This is a contradiction. If you reflect upon "His signs", you are presuming that He exists.
     Reply #39 - December 13, 2013, 12:55 AM

^ very true. Questioning is often initially welcomed, but as soon as you do not accept the answers given you are afflicted by shaytans waswas. So the qurans encouragment to "ponder and reflect" is a paradox, and in truth nothing else than deciet and lies. Question, yes, as long as you come to the conclusion Islam offers. There is only ONE  version and interpretation, Islsm is the truth, everthing else is going astray. And to be honest, all the verses about pondering and reflection are directly linked to the "ayaat" of allah and NOT  to question his existance.

ThatMuslimGuy, I think that you will have no faith left if you TRULY question all the reasons you became Muslim. We are several ex-tullaab here on the forum who spend many years studying the den, and left Islam BECAUSE we realized it was all lies

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #40 - December 13, 2013, 01:24 AM

You refer to hadith a lot. I'm just curious, you ever wonder that the hadith could be fabricated? They were written 200 years after the Prophet died. For example, Sahih Muslim has 4000 sayings but yet the man collecting them discarded so many before he said 4000 were authentic. Now for a second how are you so sure those 4000 are even correct and not fabricated? Because after reading the hadith (for me at least) it seemed like if someone was to believe any of it, it'd be quite uncivilized to act according to the hadith. The saying where "there will be more women in hellfire then men" and the reason for that according to the explanation in riyadh us saliheen (book 1) was "because women disobey their husbands". If no hadith is used, the Quran is a book that could never be completely understood because it is very erratic, shifting from one topic to another from verse to verse confusing the reader. Above all, if the religion was handed down by God, then truly he would have figured to compile the prophet's sayings in a book before he died so people don't twist the "true deen". Cuz God does refer to the sunnah a lot but why not write it down as well in those 20 years? I don't expect you to answer this, something to ponder about! Smiley
     Reply #41 - December 13, 2013, 02:02 AM

Perhaps the biggest reason for Islam to be hogwash is the Night Journey and Allah originally instructing us to pray 50 times a day.

Reply #42 - December 13, 2013, 02:40 AM

No it is very Islamic to contemplate and think and reflect. There is no concept of blindly follow. As I often say on the Dawah Table if your blindly following something then dont follow it.

The Quran often speaks about engaging us to implement our rational faculty's to investigate, reflect and contemplate on various things and fields.

For example the triliteral root ʿayn qāf lām (ع ق ل) occurs 49 times in the Quran as the form I verb ʿaqalu (عَقَلُ) which means to understand, to reason.

And The triliteral root fā kāf rā (ف ك ر) occurs 18 times in the Quran in two derived forms:
    once as the form II verb fakkara (فَكَّرَ) - Which means to think.
    17 times as the form V verb yatafakkaru (يَتَفَكَّرُ) - Which means to ponder, to reflect.

But alas thats a different topic.

HM? Hello? Where are you, my friend?

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #43 - December 13, 2013, 02:40 AM

parrot

Hello, and welcome! I just love these conversations!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #44 - December 13, 2013, 03:29 AM

Splitting moon is mentioned in Surah al Qamr. And is further confirmed in the Saheeh narrations that the people asked the Prophet to perform a miracle so they saw the moon split.

Yeah... great... were back at the Hadith. Well me and my fiancé had a three-way with Jenna coleman. Both of us will say it happened, but do you believe that we had a three-way with her. Sorry but quoting hadiths, as proof is like quoting Dr.who to say the Doctor is real.
    Global flood. The Quran doesnt speak of such concept maybe your confusing it with the bible.

Yeah all these damn Holy books seem to confuse me as well.
    Talking newborn I suppose is referring to Jesus (AS). Its called a miracle bro, think you should first question a virgin birth  Wink

Well if we are getting technical, then a virgin birth can actually happen, it is a father-less birth is miraculous. 
    Stars driving away jinns mentioned in various ayat such as Surah 67:5 (quoting from memory).

Those pesky Jinns listening in on us. Too bad that it takes billions of years for that light to reach us. Hmmmmm makes you think.
    Do you not see that to Allah prostrates whoever is in the heavens and whoever is on the earth and the sun, the moon, the stars, the mountains, the trees, the moving creatures and many of the people? But upon many the punishment has been justified. And he whom Allah humiliates - for him there is no bestower of honor. Indeed, Allah does what He wills. [Quran 22:18]

Saying everything is under the control of Allah.

Yay predestination. This means it doesn't matter anymore whether i believe or not, I won't because Allah has made me deaf dumb and blind. (See Q:2:6-7)
    Giant wall that magically repairs itself every morning? I assume is referring to Dhul Qarnayn?

Man those pesky gog and magog, just running amuck. Maybe the Qu'ran just shouldn't of plagiarize the alexander romance

Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you.

Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure.
    - George Carlin
     Reply #45 - December 13, 2013, 05:45 AM

You refer to hadith a lot. I'm just curious, you ever wonder that the hadith could be fabricated? They were written 200 years after the Prophet died. For example, Sahih Muslim has 4000 sayings but yet the man collecting them discarded so many before he said 4000 were authentic. Now for a second how are you so sure those 4000 are even correct and not fabricated? Because after reading the hadith (for me at least) it seemed like if someone was to believe any of it, it'd be quite uncivilized to act according to the hadith. The saying where "there will be more women in hellfire then men" and the reason for that according to the explanation in riyadh us saliheen (book 1) was "because women disobey their husbands". If no hadith is used, the Quran is a book that could never be completely understood because it is very erratic, shifting from one topic to another from verse to verse confusing the reader. Above all, if the religion was handed down by God, then truly he would have figured to compile the prophet's sayings in a book before he died so people don't twist the "true deen". Cuz God does refer to the sunnah a lot but why not write it down as well in those 20 years? I don't expect you to answer this, something to ponder about! Smiley

Just to add on this, has anyone ever noticed the "storytelling" allure of so many Hadith? Or is it just me? The kind of campfire stories that parents tell their kids to amaze and motivate them. There are so many details in so many narrations that seem conveniently designed for this very purpose, stories that people want to hear and attach an overall message to.
     Reply #46 - December 13, 2013, 09:14 AM

^ Yes absolutely! My Arabic teacher at uni actually wrote a literary analysis of the "honey incident" and Aishah and it really strikes you that real life can never be like any of the concocted anecdotes. And even if they were based of real incidents, they have been re-worked to fit an oral transmission and story in order to captivate the listener.
    Or do Muslims seriously believe all the litle perfect, motivating, "stories of rightous people"?  Roll Eyes when you start being really atentive when reading ahadith, the real character and personality of the sahaba (and Muhammad) appears. They were really bad people considering they were the "best of generations". Everyhing in ahadith are romanticized...

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #47 - December 13, 2013, 09:16 AM

And, welcome ThatMuslimGuy  parrot  grin12

Reply #48 - December 13, 2013, 01:21 PM

:parrot:welcome to the forum.
    I forgot to put that. grin12

Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you.

Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure.
    - George Carlin
     Reply #49 - December 13, 2013, 01:48 PM

The Quran often gives challenges to challenge it such as the infamous:

Sahih International
    And if you are in doubt about what We have sent down upon Our Servant [Muhammad], then produce a surah the like thereof and call upon your witnesses other than Allah , if you should be truthful. [Quran 2:23]

I've actually seen this done three times. The first was in the book The Islamist Delusion - From Islamist to Cultural Muslim Humanist by Saif Rahman who met this challenge. He said in the book he'd told it to a muslim who loved it and asked where abouts in the quran it was so they could show people. I can confirm that when I read what he came up with I could easily see it being mistaken for quranic scripture. Another was Sura Dawahman by happymurtad here on CEMB that Cornflower said her child thought was an actual sura from the quran. happymurtad also produced another chapter like it in Arabic. It's posted somewhere in audio via soundcloud (with him reciting it) and in typed words.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #50 - December 13, 2013, 03:09 PM

^ correction. It was "soorat al dhuhr" my kid thaught was quran :-) it's in audio somewhere on the forum. If you don't understand arabic (and the blasphemous meaning), therebis nothing that says that sorat al dhuhr is different from let's say al asr

Reply #51 - December 13, 2013, 03:28 PM

Global flood. The Quran doesnt speak of such concept maybe your confusing it with the bible.

Surat Hūd 11:44 within context of other verses.

This verse suggests a mountain, high place or hill. You should really go read the verses about Noah in the Quran and link these together to form a cohesive narrative. Many words and description suggest a massive flood. Waves like mountains. Noah's son unable to take refuge on a mountain to avoid the flood, as told by Noah by decree of Allah. Sure it doesnt suggest a flood which covered the world. It does suggest a flood which would cover much of the sea level land and up to at least a point over that of mount Judi, or river level that was capable of covering Judi. There are a number of Muslim scholars which have theorized where Judi was.  lso it depends on your views of Judi, it's location, it's meaning. What are you views on Judi or Al-Judi?

Keep in mind the idea of a global flood is not taken literal by all Christians, they are a minority. Many assign a local flood hypothesis to Genesis these days. To many it is apocryphal. You are taking a minor view and apply it to the whole text at face value.

Haha. I was a very hardcore Atheist for 4 years so trust me you wont be getting any of the idiotic theist cliches.

I can relate. I shifted from a "hard" atheist to a "soft" agnostic-atheist. Although I have moved away from theology all together as it led no where in my opinion. Most theological dialogues are cliches with philosophy tacked on. So I found philosophy much more engaging despite it's inability to provide the 100% guarantee religions do.  

The Quran often gives challenges to challenge it such as the infamous:

Sahih International
    And if you are in doubt about what We have sent down upon Our Servant [Muhammad], then produce a surah the like thereof and call upon your witnesses other than Allah , if you should be truthful. [Quran 2:23]

Illogical. Literature is subjective. There are no established judges. no established parameters, only a base challenge. If I produce a surah which I think is better do I win? If X people on CEMB agree is this a rebuttal against this challenge? Who is the judge of this challenge? Muslims themselves can not be the judge as they already hold a bias, a bias they will never be able to challenge. If I challenge anyone to produce a painting like Picasso, which no one can, does this make his from God? If I hold the view that Picasso is the best artist in history as an article of faith you will never be able to challenge this view.

From my point of view this challenge is illogical so proves to me that the Quran is not 100% God's word. Why would God pose an illogical challenge which results in disbelief then look down upon this result as bad or sinful?

No it is very Islamic to contemplate and think and reflect. There is no concept of blindly follow. As I often say on the Dawah Table if your blindly following something then dont follow it.

The Quran often speaks about engaging us to implement our rational faculty's to investigate, reflect and contemplate on various things and fields.

Exercise of free though does not warrant a punishment in reality. Everyone is free to exercise this right. Once punishments are assigned to this freedom you are under the rule of a totalitarian system which supports the idea of thought crimes as real crimes. Not just real crimes but some of the worst crimes in the book. One can murder and repent yet a disbeliever has the whole book thrown at them for a view which harms no external entity. A view which resulted from the "God" given abilities "God" granted us to begin with. It would be as if I disowned and punished my son for not becoming an athlete when I wanted him to become one. Granted I can not punish him for eternity using a form of torture which makes me sick to my stomach. I completely reject this concept coming from a logical loving God, I assign this concept to evil.

Reply #52 - December 13, 2013, 03:32 PM

@Bogart : You missed out on how every species was commanded to board the ark, which heavily implies a global event.
     Reply #53 - December 13, 2013, 03:34 PM

^ correction. It was "soorat al dhuhr" my kid thaught was quran :-) it's in audio somewhere on the forum. If you don't understand arabic (and the blasphemous meaning), therebis nothing that says that sorat al dhuhr is different from let's say al asr

Most muslims don't understand Arabic, which is an interesting point to mention. I can listen to foreign songs, and indeed I do, without understanding the words. I like the music, I like the vocals, so why not. I can also tell who I'm listening to because I recognise the sound, the style, etc. So I hear a song by a band or singer or musician I'm familiar with, without understanding the words, and know who it's by. Same with the quran. I've heard it recited in Arabic so many times. And when I heard happymurtad do his attempt at meeting the challenge, I listened to it, and thought "Yeah. I'd think that was from the quran".

Reply #54 - December 13, 2013, 03:55 PM

@Bogart : You missed out on how every species was commanded to board the ark, which heavily implies a global event.

True. I just wanted to summarize my point without going into a huge analysis. After all my summarized posts are long winded enough  Tongue
     Reply #55 - December 13, 2013, 04:36 PM

I like your posts. So do others. Proof: we made you poster of the month. Afro

Reply #56 - December 13, 2013, 04:42 PM

Welcome to the forum ThatMuslimGuy, have a rabbit!  bunny

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #57 - December 13, 2013, 06:14 PM

True. I just wanted to summarize my point without going into a huge analysis. After all my summarized posts are long winded enough  Tongue

True. Sorry, I didn't mean to criticize you over it. I just wanted to add the point. Should have expressed my point in a better way.
     Reply #58 - December 14, 2013, 01:53 AM

True. Sorry, I didn't mean to criticize you over it. I just wanted to add the point. Should have expressed my point in a better way.

No worries I never took your post as criticism but as an additional point to my comment.
  • Re: New Member
     Reply #59 - March 04, 2014, 11:26 PM

So did you go from no god to prime mover/deistic god to theistic and then coming too the conclusion it's allah specifically?

I would say no god to Deism to Allah.
  • Previous page 1 23 4 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »