Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What do you think happens after death?

(Read 7671 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What do you think happens after death?
     Reply #30 - February 16, 2014, 03:34 PM

You're also forgetting about a 'meme', behaviour and a belief system that can be passed on through generations. Of course it's unlikely to last a long time but if I instil in my children certain morals, for instance my love for animals and their welfare and they become to have the same morals as me, they could then instil it in their children and friends and so on. After a period of time you've got a part of a population who share my belief system because of how I raised my children. That would then give my life meaning and a purpose and that's how I like to live.

Wait a minute. Are you saying that if you persuade people about your morals that you would feel good about it, and that you can persuade YOUR children more than you can persuade other people?

Well why do you think your children will be persuaded by your ideas while other people won't? Is it because you are forcing your morals on them?

If you answer 'no' to this question, then that raises another question: If your children are persuaded by your ideas BECAUSE your ideas are good (and not because you forced them on your children), then why don't you think that other people would be persuaded by your ideas BECAUSE your ideas are good?

In other words, why do you think your children will be persuaded by your ideas more than anybody else would be persuaded by your ideas?
     Reply #31 - February 16, 2014, 04:27 PM

Old Indian Proverb: When you were born you cried and the world rejoiced.
    Live your life in such a way that when you die,
    the world will cry and you will rejoice.
     Reply #32 - February 16, 2014, 04:35 PM

Well isn't that obvious that your children who you raise are more likely to believe your ideas than a stranger would? Is that wrong to instil moral beliefs that could help society or the natural world in the future?

Also did I say that people other than my children couldn't or wouldn't believe my moral views? It seems like you're arguing with yourself rather than things I've actually said. Especially considering I stated that a person "should leave a legacy" then you said almost exactly the same thing.

Quite strange comments if I'm honest with you. You're acting like an Islamic Theologian by reading into things that aren't there.
     Reply #33 - February 16, 2014, 05:59 PM

The gene is a basic unit of life. You do not necessarily need to reproduce to pass on your genes (in a sense). Kin selection is a well known example whereby reproductive success is set aside in favour of the overall 'fitness' of the relatives. 
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kin_selection

It is a hypothesised method for the 'gay gene' to be passed on through a gay relative.
    http://www.livescience.com/6106-gay-uncles-pass-genes.html

Bees also appear to have the idea of inclusive fitness whereby there is a large non-reproductive caste who work for a queen who can reproduce.
     Reply #34 - February 16, 2014, 07:34 PM

I haven't had time yet to review your journals but from what I learned at University and reading journals, there isn't a gay gene. Homosexuals are born because of the environment in the womb. There could be newer and contradictory evidence since then (which I hope there is because I hate homophobia and uneducated stupid people proclaiming it's a choice).

I still stand by what I said; if I have children, people who wouldn't ever have existed will get  the chance of life and that's liberating and a nice consequence of copulation Smiley ha. I don't believe that any child I have could've been created without me, and so on.
     Reply #35 - February 16, 2014, 08:45 PM

Well isn't that obvious that your children who you raise are more likely to believe your ideas than a stranger would?

No.

And by the way, nothing is obvious. Things only seem obvious to certain people because they already have the necessarily knowledge to understand those things.
    Is that wrong to instil moral beliefs that could help society or the natural world in the future?

If it's by force, then it's wrong. If it's by manipulation, then it's wrong.
    Also did I say that people other than my children couldn't or wouldn't believe my moral views? It seems like you're arguing with yourself rather than things I've actually said. Especially considering I stated that a person "should leave a legacy" then you said almost exactly the same thing.

Quite strange comments if I'm honest with you. You're acting like an Islamic Theologian by reading into things that aren't there.

You missed my point. If you have a desire for something about you to exist beyond your death, and if you think that you need kids to do that, then you're wrong, because other people can learn your ideas just as well as your hypothetical kids can.
     Reply #36 - February 16, 2014, 09:01 PM

Force and manipulation? What planet are you on? I'm talking about raising children to have good morals. You're living in a mythological dream world similar to Allah's ridiculous pretence. I was trying to give hope to a nice person who was scared about death but your illogical statements have ruined it. The argument "you can't argue with stupid" comes to mind when you talk. Nonsensical jibberish, you're still thinking like an Islamic theologian :/.
     Reply #37 - February 17, 2014, 02:28 AM

The gene is a basic unit of life. You do not necessarily need to reproduce to pass on your genes (in a sense). Kin selection is a well known example whereby reproductive success is set aside in favour of the overall 'fitness' of the relatives. 
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kin_selection

It is a hypothesised method for the 'gay gene' to be passed on through a gay relative.
    http://www.livescience.com/6106-gay-uncles-pass-genes.html

Bees also appear to have the idea of inclusive fitness whereby there is a large non-reproductive caste who work for a queen who can reproduce.

Gays procreate, though, so this hypothesis does not really make sense.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #38 - February 17, 2014, 04:08 AM

Aren't there ways to commit suicide with zero pain/suffering? Maybe in pill form?

I mean, lets say you know you're about to die a really painful death. Pop the pill and viola, no pain/suffering.

So if somebody fears *dying*, well why the fuck do they fear that?

Completely irrelevant, because most people don't know when/if they're going to experience a particularly painful death, so don't have the opportunity to prevent it in such a manner. Pain and shit happens in life, and oftentimes its associated with death. There's no philosophizing yourself out of that reality.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #39 - March 27, 2014, 12:47 PM

I get that. My biggest fear is missed oppitunity. I don't want to be an old man on my death bed looking back on a life filled with regret. I wish I'd had one more drink. I wish I'd got on that train. I wish I'd kissed the girl. Fuck that shit. Grab life by the balls and live it.

This is exactly the philosophy I want to live by.    And it's exactly this type of thinking that has kept me going when I felt like shit.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #40 - March 27, 2014, 12:53 PM

Quod that line sounds very similar to one from community

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
     Reply #41 - March 27, 2014, 12:55 PM

From what? Huh?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #42 - March 27, 2014, 12:56 PM

This is exactly the philosophy I want to live by.    And it's exactly this type of thinking that has kept me going when I felt like shit.

Best wishes make. Life's what we make it. There's no fate, only our own choices.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #43 - March 27, 2014, 12:57 PM

Community, a tv series

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
     Reply #44 - March 27, 2014, 01:05 PM

Best wishes make. Life's what we make it. There's no fate, only our own choices.

Don't think free will exists but go about life pretending that it does.

I doubt the existence of free will because at the end of that day our thoughts are chemical reactions and we don't have any control over our thoughts they just happen and every action and choice we make is based on our thoughts.

I can just hope my future self has thoughts that lead to choices that will make me live a better and more productive life

Reply #45 - March 27, 2014, 01:12 PM

Community, a tv series

Never heard of it.

Reply #46 - March 27, 2014, 01:12 PM

I doubt the existence of free will because at the end of that day our thoughts are chemical reactions and we don't have any control over our thoughts they just happen and every action and choice we make is based on our thoughts.

I can just hope my future self has thoughts that lead to choices that will make me live a better and more productive life

You can make the choice to follow your chemicals...maybe. Smiley

Reply #47 - March 27, 2014, 02:33 PM

You know QSE we don't have hands in everything of our lives. Sometimes things happen to us over which we have no control no matter how prepared we are. I do believe in luck, but mostly consider it a minor factor.
     Reply #48 - March 27, 2014, 02:38 PM

Bad shit happens, but we have the possibility of making things better.
     Reply #49 - March 27, 2014, 02:41 PM

What INcePtion said. The big moments are going to come, we can't help that. It's how we deal with them that matters.

Reply #50 - March 27, 2014, 02:50 PM

Gays procreate, though, so this hypothesis does not really make sense.

True. There are actually quite a lot of hypothesis on homosexuality and its prevalence, in animals and in humans. As Craig H suggested, it could be a pre-natal environmental trigger, so it may not even be caused by changes in the DNA sequence.
     Reply #51 - March 27, 2014, 02:50 PM

I know that. After becoming an atheist I stopped believing in destiny and luck as a MAJOR role player. Makes more sense than just waiting for God to do your stuff.
     Reply #52 - March 27, 2014, 03:05 PM

But do you agree that a person can learn new ideas and that that results in changing one's thoughts going forward?

But your current self can change your future self by learning how to make better choices and by changing your future self by learning how to change yourself.

Do you agree that you can change your ideas?
     Reply #53 - March 27, 2014, 03:59 PM

We don't have free will just choices we are limited beings, destiny doesn't exist, good things don't come to those who wait and there is no such thing as "the one" or true love.. 

:(  wow thats depressing lol 
     Reply #54 - March 27, 2014, 04:06 PM

No, that's adulthood.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #55 - March 27, 2014, 04:10 PM

i may have phrased that wrong, those are my actual thoughts and conclusions lol after years of delusion   Smiley

x
     Reply #56 - March 27, 2014, 04:11 PM

But do you agree that a person can learn new ideas and that that results in changing one's thoughts going forward?But your current self can change your future self by learning how to make better choices and by changing your future self by learning how to change yourself.

I learn and develop based on my experiences yes but the idea that I have any control over that process is a complete illusion.

I don't know what my next thoughts will be and it is those thoughts that will decide my actions.

Reply #57 - March 27, 2014, 06:55 PM

Quote from: TheDarkRebel
    But do you agree that a person can learn new ideas and that that results in changing one's thoughts going forward?But your current self can change your future self by learning how to make better choices and by changing your future self by learning how to change yourself.

I learn and develop based on my experiences yes but the idea that I have any control over that process is a complete illusion.

I don't know what my next thoughts will be and it is those thoughts that will decide my actions.[/quote]
    But if you change your ideas, then you change your thoughts. So if you spend effort learning how to think rationally, how to solve problems, how to judge ideas well, then you change your future thoughts. I don't mean your thoughts that will happen 10 minutes from now. I mean your thoughts after you've changed your ideas (after you've learned better how to think rationally, how to solve problems, how to judge ideas well).

So do you agree that you can change your ideas and that that implies that you can change your future thoughts?
     Reply #58 - March 28, 2014, 02:58 PM

After death we have no consciousness、so whatever happens to us (and for those not cremated it will involve feeding bacteria and other life forms、which is absolutely fine with me) we will not be aware of it。
     Reply #59 - March 29, 2014, 03:17 AM

Necrophilia.

One can only hope, I guess.  Wink

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »