Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Forum Anouncement: mchawking has passed away

(Read 25811 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Forum Anouncement: mchawking has passed away
     Reply #60 - September 14, 2013, 12:57 AM

Thanks for the update. Was it a janazah?
     Reply #61 - September 14, 2013, 01:03 AM

^ His family...I can't imagine.  Cry  It's sad when it takes losing someone to put things into perspective.

"In every religion there is love, yet love has no religion"

"The intellectual runs away, afraid of drowning; the whole business of love is to drown in the sea." - Rumi
     Reply #62 - September 14, 2013, 01:58 AM

Yup.

Thanks for the kind and thoughtful OP Billy.
     Reply #63 - September 14, 2013, 04:12 AM

Oh, wow. I've only been a member of this forum for a short time, so the name "mchawking" didn't immediately ring a bell. I did a quick search, found one of his posts, and when I saw his avatar, thought "Oh, that guy!" And even though I've only been here a short time, I got a positive impression of him from his posts, though in some there were clearly hints of deeper issues.

He seemed like an intelligent and friendly person, and I wish I'd been able to know him. Condolences to those who knew him.
     Reply #64 - September 14, 2013, 08:03 AM

Apologies, but for now I'm not going to divulge any details about Irtaza, my relationship with him or the last minutes of his life.

Would not seem proper.

Sorry guys.
     Reply #65 - September 15, 2013, 09:54 AM

Is there anything we can learn from this? Any differences in his latest posts etc? We could perhaps be better at helping people in the future by spotting the signs of when the feelings are likely to become actions?

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #66 - September 15, 2013, 11:48 AM

This is ubelievably heartbreaking.  Cry

Why is it that this story of a complete stranger, someone who I have never seen nor heard of, hurts so badly?

I don't know any of the story except for that he's dead. Naturally, teh curiosity arises within me to ask why and how. People have metnioend his young age, a broken heart and lack of support. I can try to fit some of the puzzles together but we may never know. Even those closest to us don't know some of our deepest, darkest secrets.

Broken hearts are hard to get over. Shattered dreams are hard to forget. In all honesty, it doesn't matter how many friends you have around you or how any people there are to tell you that you're special, if you feel alone, then that's it. That's not to say that when we feel that people are down that we shouldn't have their back. That's what a community does. I fall, you pick me up and when the time comes I will do the same for you.

Life can get too much that no amount of comments or conversations can ever compensate. The suffering that we endure on account of lack of parental support, finances, status, love, friendship can take its toll. Expecially when you realise that there is no-one up there that can answer any prayers and relieve you of your distress. You are the only one who can change your circumstances and what you need are opportunities and what you've got. But what when what you've got isn't enough? What happens when the opportunities arent there due to systemic discrimination, family commitments, economic hardship, health issues, perceived low status or you don't meet societies (or a persons) standard of what it is to be good looking? It seems as though you're running around in circles wearing the cape of Mr Optimist when in reality - this is all there is. There is no divinely inspired justice, retribution or compensation for the suffering any of us endures. This life is all there is. You have to put up with all the misfortunes because even in any country as industrialsied as economically stable as the West you must put up with the suffering because not everyone has the money, the strong family bonds, the satisfying career, the trusted band of friends, the social status or the hand of a loved one to allow them to survive.

I'm sure everyone comes to a point in their life were they shrug their shoulders, look to the Heavans with teary eyes and sigh 'I can't take anymore'.

I guess, Death is our get out of jail free card.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #67 - September 15, 2013, 12:40 PM

This is ubelievably heartbreaking.  Cry

Why is it that this story of a complete stranger, someone who I have never seen nor heard of, hurts so badly?

I don't know any of the story except for that he's dead. Naturally, teh curiosity arises within me to ask why and how. People have metnioend his young age, a broken heart and lack of support. I can try to fit some of the puzzles together but we may never know. Even those closest to us don't know some of our deepest, darkest secrets.

Broken hearts are hard to get over. Shattered dreams are hard to forget. In all honesty, it doesn't matter how many friends you have around you or how any people there are to tell you that you're special, if you feel alone, then that's it. That's not to say that when we feel that people are down that we shouldn't have their back. That's what a community does. I fall, you pick me up and when the time comes I will do the same for you.

Life can get too much that no amount of comments or conversations can ever compensate. The suffering that we endure on account of lack of parental support, finances, status, love, friendship can take its toll. Expecially when you realise that there is no-one up there that can answer any prayers and relieve you of your distress. You are the only one who can change your circumstances and what you need are opportunities and what you've got. But what when what you've got isn't enough? What happens when the opportunities arent there due to systemic discrimination, family commitments, economic hardship, health issues, perceived low status or you don't meet societies (or a persons) standard of what it is to be good looking? It seems as though you're running around in circles wearing the cape of Mr Optimist when in reality - this is all there is. There is no divinely inspired justice, retribution or compensation for the suffering any of us endures. This life is all there is. You have to put up with all the misfortunes because even in any country as industrialsied as economically stable as the West you must put up with the suffering because not everyone has the money, the strong family bonds, the satisfying career, the trusted band of friends, the social status or the hand of a loved one to allow them to survive.

I'm sure everyone comes to a point in their life were they shrug their shoulders, look to the Heavans with teary eyes and sigh 'I can't take anymore'.

I guess, Death is our get out of jail free card.

so true  Cry   
     Reply #68 - September 15, 2013, 03:46 PM

Just found this thread.

Rest in Peace Irtaza.   

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #69 - September 15, 2013, 05:48 PM

I saw mchawkings post where he brought up his pains but didn't read it at that time. However I noticed it looked a bit urgent and that I'd better read it someday soon. It wasn't until this thread came up that I made myself go through his last posts and the feeling I have that I really could have done something is strong.
    I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to know him in person.
     Reply #70 - September 15, 2013, 07:27 PM

Because he wasn't a complete stranger. He was a person who shared with us the ups and downs of living life as an "ex-muslim", a term that in itself describes the sheer difficulty of disbelieving in a religion that has warped the minds of so many. Many of his personal experiences were our experiences, so it is actually quite consoling to realize that many of us feel sad for him.
     Reply #71 - September 16, 2013, 12:54 AM

We are holding a wake to remember  Irtaza.

Please follow the link:

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=24905.new#new

Please post in that thread and not here if you wish to come.
     Reply #72 - September 18, 2013, 09:02 AM

Wow. I only just found this thread. I don't even know what to say, other than this is so, so sad Cry
     Reply #73 - September 18, 2013, 10:22 AM

We all to have pass this life one day, but it wasn't the right time to lose him.  Cry Cry

Rest in Peace Irtaza.  Cry Cry

If Allah is most merciful He should reveal His book unambiguous, complete (covering complete guidance for all time without need of any Hadith or Tafseer), easily and undoubtedly translatable to every language of world with a vivid sign of its proof from Him and its reach to every single human being.
     Reply #74 - September 18, 2013, 11:27 AM

The local newspaper report

+++++

Tragic death in forest of young Dagenham man who had struggled with depression

by Adam Barnett, Reporter
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Friends of the young man who was found dead are paying tribute to a “sensitive and beautiful soul”.

Irtaza Hussain, 22, died after what friends said was long battle with depression, and was remembered this week by those who knew him as talkative, intelligent and passionate.

Mr Hussain was an active member of the secularist movement in London and often asked questions at public meetings and debates.

His friend Sufian Ahmed said: “Irtaza spoke very passionately about his love for science, music and his fight for a more secular society.”

Mr Hussain was also mourned by the head of the British Humanist Association, who called his death a tragedy.

Police found his body in Hainault Forest opposite Lakeland Close shortly at around 4.20pm on Wednesday (September 11).

The death is not being treated as suspicious.

Mr Hussain lived in Valence Avenue in Dagenham with his mother, father, and younger brother and sister, who told the Post they were distraught by his death.

His funeral was held on Friday 13 in Barkingside in Redbridge.

The Ex-Muslims Forum, which is run by people in London with Islamic backgrounds who are non-religious, said: “Our forum is a community and today we lost a friend. A very sensitive and beautiful soul took his life after battling depression. RIP Irtaza.”

Andrew Copson, chief executive of the British Humanist Association, said: “He was an intelligent and thoughtful young man who I was lucky to meet and speak with on many occasions, having first met him when we were on BBC together arguing for a liberal and secular approach to education as against a strict religious one.

“He was a keen attendee of BHA events and I am glad he had the joy of meeting a number of his heroes there, from Richard Dawkins to Jim Al-Khalili, Peter Atkins and Steven Pinker.”

http://www.barkinganddagenhampost.co.uk/news/tragic_death_in_forest_of_young_dagenham_man_who_had_struggled_with_depression_1_2638334

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #75 - September 18, 2013, 01:38 PM

:(

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #76 - September 19, 2013, 09:17 AM

Want to thank Dr_Zhivago for his generous donation to Irtaza's humanist ceremony Smiley

If you'd like to come along, please see here:

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=24905.new#new

If anybody else would like to donate, please PM me.

Donations are not being handled by me. They are being handled by a dear friend of mine.  Like me, she was actually one of the people who tried to find Irtaza that day :(

Please donate generously via PayPal. Please get in touch with me for details.

In the event of there being excess donations, remaining money will go to Mind, a UK mental health charity. If we cannot cover our costs with the donations, the organisers (literally about 4 of us) will have to spend our own money to make the shortfall.

Thank you very much.
     Reply #77 - September 20, 2013, 12:19 PM

Maryam's words of rememberance

++++

Remembering Irtaza

Here’s my tribute to the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain’s young member and activist Irtaza Hussain who tragically committed suicide on 11 September. I gave it at last night’s evening drinks event with philosopher Arif Ahmed:

Irtaza was an active member of the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain. In his membership statement he wrote: “Islam quite simply did not provide enough answers at all and was fairly credulous. What is absolutely appalling is the state of ignorance within Muslims and how many of them make claims about Islam’s monopoly on knowledge yet still being miles away from having a proper appreciation of academia.”

Irtaza was well known amongst us. He joined our events, spoke to the media on our behalf, and defended the right to leave Islam, reason and free expression whenever he could. Despite all the torment and hurt and despair, he never stopped speaking out and helping others. Irtaza even contributed to a soon to be published report on the status of apostates from Islam for CEMB – a report which he will never get to see.

In one essay he had written in 2012, which he asked me to look over, he ends saying: “The critical thinking involved and the logical fallacies that we see as convenient are not just mere instructions considering the doors they have opened and the apathy that they have eliminated. They are powerful tools that we should be proud to have used them and we must continue to use them because we have strong reasons to do so. We must pat ourselves on the back and continue to do good as we do because not only are we bringing passion into the lives of many and ours; we are doing good and eliminating the bad within humanity. Let us continue to hold on to these progressive values and preach them with the regard that we have showed in disciplined discourse, with the use of reason and standing up for progressive values. We have a voice and we continue to use it.”

Many of his last emails and messages were full of hurt and despair. Much of it he said had to do with his family as well as the traumas related to being ex-Muslim. He also had mental health issues.

In one email he wrote: “I’m starting to lose it and I’m sick to death of my situation.”

In another he wrote: “Thanks for your concern, I really do need to feel as I’m loved for to actually get out of this. The main problem was that I had bottled too much and kept myself away from people recently since I was too busy but the thoughts that I should’ve discussed weren’t discussed and that caused an acute stress reaction. I’ll just have to bear things for a while, pass a Life in the U.K test and make more effort to move out.”

On 11 September Irtaza could bear no more.

And how we will miss him.

Let’s remember him as the intelligent and thoughtful person that he was. And let’s remember him well!

http://freethoughtblogs.com/maryamnamazie/2013/09/20/remembering-irtaza/

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #78 - September 23, 2013, 09:26 PM

Ladies &  Gentlemen,

I just wanted to thank users ateapotist (good seeing you buddy Smiley ) dr_zhivago  and  sir_wankalot.  Your generosity it's most appreciated Smiley

I can say we were able to  not only cover the costs of the day,  but also raised £250  for  Mind!

http://www.mind.org.uk/

Thank you again.

To anybody that was there, I cannot think of a better send off for Irtaza.
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »