Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What is the most disturbing thing you're ever read/watched? (Fictional)

(Read 31586 times)
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What is the most disturbing thing you're ever read/watched? (Fictional)
     OP - July 22, 2013, 07:40 AM

Just thought it would be an interesting topic. So, me first. Lack of power as a theme always stands out. Being at the mercy, or lack of, from someone or something else is truly the most terrifying thing I can imagine. By the time I was seven I'd watched Terminator 1&2, Robo Cop, Alien, Aliens, Predator 1&2, Demons, The Exorcist, The Omen 1-3 and a bunch of others. Never scared me, or at least not that much. Quite often if I felt a rush of fear it was mixed with excitement, curiosity, anticipation, all the good stuff. In fact, when I watched Terminator for the first time I was three years old. That scene where he's in the bathroom, cuts open his arm to check the workings, pulls out his eye and drops it in the sink and we see the red light in the socket, at three years old all I could think was how cool that was.

The Transformers children's movie from 1986 was the only one that I could say I actually found disturbing. The reason for this is Unicron. Unicron ate planets. All the above listed films I could imagine ways of making it out in one piece, but you cannot run from, fight, outsmart or hide from something that EATS planets! Aliens exploding out of someone's chest have nothing on Unicron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czRJEkLMdCA

The next thing that stands out in my memory I first saw when I was about eleven or twelve. It was around 1am and I couldn't sleep, and was downstairs watching the telly and hoping mum didn't come down and realise I wasn't in bed. Nightbreed came on. Never heard of it before. This time it was also the fanaticism that got me. I found the humans far more terrifying than the monsters, in fact I found them rather vulnerable in many ways, magical abilities be damned. Though that does seem to be intentional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9TSNT74D_Y

But, the single most disturbing thing I have ever seen in my life to this point, I have to say can be found in the cartoon Fantastic Planet, from the French novel. First saw this in my early twenties, about twenty-two I think. My reason for this being in my opinion the most scary, freaky, disturbing shit I've ever watched is simple. Powerlessness. The absolute lack of power in this wins out as the most disturbing thing I've watched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjWiU9q8pBA

So, what about you? And if possible don't forget to add links!  Afro

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • What is the most scary/freaky/disturbing things you're ever read/watched Fiction
     Reply #1 - July 22, 2013, 08:10 AM

Horror films and horror stories don't generally freak me out or scare me, unfortunately, but I still watch them in the hopes that they will.  Grin  That's not to say I haven't been scared by things before.

As a child I was afraid of the Hulk.  Don't ask me why, since I have no idea, I just know I was so scared of him that my dad bought my older sister one of those blown up dolls with a weight on the bottom that are designed to be punched and they fall down and bounce back up, for her protection from me, since I would terrorise her on most days, and the only safety for her was to hide behind this hulk doll that would scare me too much to go near her. Grin

I was also afraid of the film Jaws, and would go to sleep having nightmares that the bath would overfill, and a great white shark would come bursting out of it and come and eat my sister first (bottom bunk) and then me (top bunk) and I would have to watch her die first without being able to save her, which was the more terrifying part, watching a loved one die and being powerless to stop it.

The next film to scare me, was in my early teens, and it was the original Nightmare on Elm street.  Doesn't scare me now, but back then, i was afraid to go to sleep, because again, in my sleep I was powerless to fight and protect myself.  For awhile i was also too scared to sit on a toilet properly and would hover over them just incase freddy's hand would reach out.  Grin

Since then however, no movie has really scared me.  Not until I watched....and this one is a bit of a surprise, Apocalypto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngWBddVNVZs

The thing that scared me about it, was that this is humanity.  This is what humans are like in the service to some belief, whether it be a belief in the divine, or not, this is the crowd mentality, the one that relishes in ripping a person a part by their hands if they can, if they believe their cause is righteous enough.

It is not the supernatural that scares me since I do not believe it exists, it is the natural, humans, and even if this was meant to be a portrayal of a savage time long gone, it's a fantasy to believe humans are still not savage now, still not capable now.  We know they are capable, it happens all over the world.  We are just behind a veneer of civility that is nothing, no protection against the crowd surging and calling out for blood.

I found this movie depressing as a reminder of what humankind is capable of.  Sacrifices in the name of a god, it's not as old or as gone as the movie portrays.

The Stoning of Soraya is another movie that depressed me for days afterwards. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWQ9phw1C9w

Again, just another look at what humans do to other humans.  I couldn't shake the sadness that the last face she saw as she died was the face of the bastard who had done this to her.  Nor that her sons threw the stones at her too.  To die that way, to see the boys you fed, raised, and cared for, turn against you in the name of religion, in the name of the herd, I just couldn't shake that imagery from my mind. 

It is generally the movies that depict humanity in all of it's savagery that affect me the most. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #2 - July 22, 2013, 08:18 AM

Apocalypto is an amazing, briliant film. I wish I had watched that on the big screen, I only watched it on DVD. Must have been amazing impact on the cinema screen.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #3 - July 22, 2013, 08:46 AM

Interestingly I always felt rather protective of the Hulk. I just wanted to scream "LEAVE HIM ALONE!"

Jaws never scared me. I was like "Really? It's a fucking fish you morons, and humans aren't even an instinctive prey".

Apocalypto, I have to agree with you. The thing that really got me was right at the end when the Spanish came, and knowing the genocide and enslavement that was about to follow for every person you saw and didn't see in that film.

The Stoning of Soraya I've never actually seen before, cheers love.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #4 - July 22, 2013, 10:42 AM

Apocalypto

[link removed]

[link removed]

The Stoning of Soraya

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcQ4qsGGH8M

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d1EBMQ-l5U

Mod edit: removed links

Reply #5 - July 22, 2013, 10:57 AM

The elephant scene in Dumbo stands out in my mind as one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen. When I was younger, it seemed to go on for ages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoysQe-2HS4

Also the scene in Captain Corelli's Mandolin where Italian troops are massacred by the Germans was disturbing to watch, and stayed in my mind for days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yek9a0zFGHE
     Reply #6 - July 22, 2013, 11:09 AM

Was kinda hoping for links to the complete movies. See my first post, three links, three full movies  Smiley

Reply #7 - July 22, 2013, 04:48 PM

Linking to complete movies is fine if they are available on youtube. But let's avoid linking to illegal downloads or streaming sites. Quod, I removed a couple of your links above for that reason. Smiley

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #8 - July 22, 2013, 05:24 PM

Those were illegal? It says something about the youth of today I didn't think of that. Sorry.

Reply #9 - July 22, 2013, 05:29 PM

Yea, they were, and as a website representing the CEMB, we can't run the risk of being seen to share in piracy.  That's not to say that you can't pm them to anyone who asks, just that on the main forum it's best to avoid it.   Smiley

Reply #10 - July 22, 2013, 10:56 PM

No worries, I never thought to check. You hear so much about illegal downloads but never illegal streaming. I looked online to find out how to tell what sites are legal and what aren't and got conflicting information.

Reply #11 - July 22, 2013, 11:56 PM

Sheepshagger; Niall Griffiths. It's not even about bestiality and it's still one of the most repugnant things I've ever read. That is all.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/223271.Sheepshagger

Rhett Butler: With enough courage, you can do without a reputation.
     Reply #12 - July 23, 2013, 12:15 AM

I now have the overwhelming urge to buy and read this book just to find out for myself how bad it is.

Reply #13 - July 23, 2013, 12:32 AM

I now have the overwhelming urge to buy and read this book just to find out for myself how bad it is.

haha, go for it, as long as you don't say I didn't warn you!

Rhett Butler: With enough courage, you can do without a reputation.
     Reply #14 - July 23, 2013, 10:04 AM

Flowers in the Attic by Virginia Andrews.

I felt depressed for a couple of days.  Wasn't expecting the story to unfold the way it did.

"If a monster existed, it was buried deep within."
     Reply #15 - July 23, 2013, 10:22 AM

a japanese movie titled Grotesque
    a friend of mine was watching it and i decided to watch along with him
    it's so fucked up. kinda like SAW but way more fucked up as the title suggest.
     Reply #16 - July 23, 2013, 05:31 PM

sonic.exe

The horror.  Cry

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #17 - July 23, 2013, 05:48 PM

I loved Sonic X!

Reply #18 - July 23, 2013, 05:57 PM

sonic .exe is something completely different.

And not in the least bit scary or disturbing, but rather kind of funny in an ironic sort of way.  Cheesy

http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_._exe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUyBANmqmOI

Variable audio, just a warning for all headphone users.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #19 - July 24, 2013, 05:07 AM

Jennifer. That's some fucked up shit right there. Believe it or not I know a girl like this. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3DjnXdo7lBelM

Reply #20 - July 24, 2013, 08:44 AM

"Scream" and "The Ring". I heard that the Producers were the descendants of Prophet Muhammad.

Over react

"The future is bright; only we can get there faster"
     Reply #21 - July 24, 2013, 10:52 AM

That's the worst you've read or watched? Oh, my little lamb. I have so much to show you.

Reply #22 - July 24, 2013, 01:26 PM

Please don't, fear makes me conservative Cry
     pccoffee

"The future is bright; only we can get there faster"
     Reply #23 - July 24, 2013, 01:37 PM

That's the worst you've read or watched? Oh, my little lamb. I have so much to show you.

A Serbian Film, unrated and uncut?  Wink

"If a monster existed, it was buried deep within."
     Reply #24 - July 24, 2013, 03:51 PM

Oh yea, I forgot, Bad Boy Bubby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXZ4u2ZVWOc

Shit trailer, don't judge the movie by the trailer.

That was some bizarre foray into some messed up shit.   wacko

I was glued to the screen the whole time.  Was just more weird than disturbing though, although what his mum was doing to him was disturbing actually.

Good film, just very very weird.  

Reply #25 - July 24, 2013, 03:56 PM

*bounce up and down* I saw this on telly when I was  little never had a clue what it was called!!!! I tried for years to find out!!!!! Big kisses to Berb!

Reply #26 - July 24, 2013, 04:03 PM

No problem, Glad my random memory has been of some help now Grin   cool2

Reply #27 - July 24, 2013, 04:10 PM

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=3513.msg697922;topicseen#new

Disturbing because its true. I'm thinking of a follow up.

Reply #28 - July 24, 2013, 04:46 PM

A Serbian Film, unrated and uncut?  Wink

I read about that movie once. Since then I've avoided every reference to it.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #29 - July 25, 2013, 03:45 AM

The original The Texas Chain Saw Massacre goes down as my no.1 horror movie of all time. That sliding shutter door is one of the most effective horror movie props I've seen. I still feel genuine gut-deep anxiety about that part. And I still find Leatherface to be the best portrayal of genuine moon-howling psychopathy and depravity. That's the bar I measure from in all slasher movies since.

The visual effects are... let's say vintage rather than dated. It's not gonna stand up to modern movies technically, but it still has an enduring charm for me. I like that it's kinda minimal, getting around the restrictions of the technology available (and the censors) by using creative psychological suggestion and atmosphere instead of overt visual gore and special effects (a la Hitchcock). Despite it being the definitive slasher movie, there isn't actually that much gore at all. Tame by today's standard no doubt. Yet still manages to be a relentlessly brutal and traumatising sensory assault.

And that whole urban legend it portrayed and made famous, about the forgotten, backwater area codes of America and the inbred lunatics and sideshow freaks that spawn there, is one of my fave horror movie themes. The sub-human depravity and braindead psychosis really plays on my imagination and fears. As far as fiction goes, it doesn't take much suspension of disbelief. It's not the supernatural we're talking about. Just murder and insanity. It's plausible, and that's what disturbs me.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »