Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Arranged Marriage

(Read 11167 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Arranged Marriage
     Reply #30 - June 14, 2013, 05:53 AM

what do you call a fulani-hausa muslim family that rejects a non-fulani-hausa even though they are muslims?

My friend's posh Hausa Dad had to fake Fulani ancestry (at great expense) in order to be able to marry a posh Fulani girl.

Idiocy. (A far better word than 'racism' surely.)
  • Arranged Marriage
     Reply #31 - June 14, 2013, 08:00 AM

what do you call a fulani-hausa muslim family that rejects a non-fulani-hausa even though they are muslims?

Cato what are you talking? what  fulani-hausa muslim  and  non-fulani-haus  muslim??    Guys  Wendi Deng Murdoch is free and  out in public   Go get her..

Rupert Murdoch files for divorce from Wendi Deng

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Arranged Marriage
     Reply #32 - June 17, 2013, 08:13 PM

I believe while our parents are older and wiser, there comes a point where we need to stop passing on old ideas and ways of thinking. If we always listened to our parents then we would forever be stuck in the past and be doomed to never progress.

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
  • Arranged Marriage
     Reply #33 - June 18, 2013, 02:51 PM

I thought I was a bitch – and alone – for finding it hard to sympathise with a PhD-holding American woman unnecessarily resigning herself to such a miserable fate. I’ve never been able to understand people who choose to be victims.

I can understand making sacrifices for one’s family and loved ones but there are some issues where you’ve just got to stand your ground and really if your family are coercing you into a marriage you don’t want and have no regard for your happiness they’re certainly not worth such a colossal sacrifice to begin with. What’s the worst that can happen to someone in her position? Getting disowned? Some loss that would be Roll Eyes Why would you want such selfish creatures as parents anyway?

...unless they are selfish assholes who continue to treat you like some child even when you're an accomplished adult. Elevating parents to God status all the time is such a toxic concept. Your parents are just people, and like other people they are the product of their environments. You can't expect them to change easily but you can't let them take over your life with such poisonous traditions. FFS someone needs to shake the shit out of her. She needs to stop the self-pitying, she is not helpless. She is perfectly capable of saving herself and surrendering without a fight when the door to freedom is wide open for her pisses me off. Promising the rest of her life to someone she doesn't love is only the first in a plethora of demands her parents will make.

+ 1. Couldn't agree with you more on the stupidity of hero-worshipping parents.
  • Arranged Marriage
     Reply #34 - June 18, 2013, 09:23 PM

Apparently, the author of the piece in the OP responded to some comments and gave some follow up on what happened in her life:

Response by 'Anon'

Hello everyone,

First of all, let me thank all of you who took the time to respond and to advise me not to go through with this, those of you who sympathized, and yes, even those of you who criticized. Heaven knows I go through my share of self-loathing most days at being the weak pathetic woman who caved.

I was a victim. But I also made a choice.

This piece was written a couple of months ago, and I got married.

But even if I had posted it here just before the wedding, your beautiful advice would have unfortunately made no difference. Khalas. My emotional and psychological state was such that it would have taken an act of God for me to call off the wedding.

So I sat crying with my best friend in my hotel bathroom on the day of my wedding, up until the makeup artist showed up to turn me into a happy bride. And I pulled it off beautifully. I was a happy, beaming bride –and every single member of my family, young and old, grandma and aunts and cousins and uncles, even the wedding dress seamstress pinning me into my dress during the dress rehearsal while I cried, knew I was in love with another man, and that I did not want this marriage.

If you’ll bear with me, I’d like to write some more. Not to justify – I need to justify myself to no one except God – but because I hope my words can somehow help another woman who might find herself where I was.

So let’s backtrack a bit.

My father is a dictator. A paranoid maniac depressive who refuses treatment. He grew up in a village back home, and controls the lives of everyone around him—his sister, who has three kids, one in high school, calls him up to ask permission when she wants to travel with her husband of twenty years.

My mother wanted a divorce a few months into her marriage. But, divorce being the shame it is, she stuck around and had a bushel of kids, losing herself in the process and becoming a weak and passive woman. “We are all puppets in the hands of a madman,” she would tell me. “And I sacrificed my life for you and your siblings. Don’t let me down. Make me proud.”

I was the golden child.

Nothing ever pleased my father. Nothing. There is always something lacking, something more you can do. No matter what you did, what you sacrificed, there was more. Power and control over our lives, he believed, was a God-given right. And everything was forbidden.
    I did everything right. I was perfect. And because I was perfect, I was loved.

I remember a conversation we had when I was 12. I wanted to go to a school birthday party. He said no. I swallowed and said “Okay. But why not?”

I got a slap for that. You don’t ask why. He decreed, and as such, you do it. You don’t question, you accept with a smile. There was no logic, no discussion, and no debate. You learned how to deal with it.

It seems ironic to say this, but out of everyone he has ever dealt with in all his life, I am the only one who had ever rebelled. The only one who was permitted to semi-rebel, and only because he loved me so much. Rebel by asking to travel, by going on to graduate school, by not getting married at 18.

Everything was a struggle.

And he loved me so much because I was so good.

My sense of self-worth came from his approval. From everyone’s approval. And I had never, in my entire life, seen anything other than approval and praise.

I believe myself to be a good person at core. I am the person who can never enjoy doing a little wrong, because the guilt would kill me. I am the person who cannot stand to be the cause of another’s misery.

Marriage was the only way to get out of my family’s home, to escape the stifling constrains of a life that as time went on, I was becoming unable to balance. And I simply could not just move out. I couldn’t.

My parents waltzed the first suitor through our door when I was 17. From my country. A week later, I was engaged. A couple of months later, my father called it off, on a whim.

But I fought. I persevered. For ten long years.

I got engaged to another man I did not want but my parents did halfway through that period. Again from my country. My father called it off, again on a whim.

I spent ten years hoping that one day a man would come we both could agree on.

But deep down I knew it never would happen.

I liked men who at least had a dual nationality. Men like me. I did not want a man from ‘home.’ Men who did not want their women to travel or work etc.

Twice, men I really liked proposed. Twice, they didn’t make it through the first interview with my father, who would ask them questions like “do you masturbate?”

And then I fell in love. And the man I loved was shown the door so fast I’m sure it hit him on the way out.

We tried. God knows we tried everything.

No go.

The day after my father finally met him? “Okay, I said no. Now remember this other man I told you about? You can marry him tomorrow now.”

Yes, my father is semi-crazy.

And at that moment, I crashed. I finally realized how stupid I was to ever think he and I could ever agree upon something as important as the man I could marry. I had been deluding myself.

But still, I stood up to him. Not getting married was better than marrying a man I did not want.

But I was all alone.

No one supported me. No one. Not a single solitary soul. Not my mother, not my siblings, not my aunts, not my cousins. The common refrain?

“Take this chance. Your parents won’t allow you to marry the man you love. So marry this wonderful kind man who is somehow blinded to the fact that this crazy man will be his father in law, and leave. He will let you do all the things the men your parents like would have never let you do. You will never again get another opportunity like this.”

I was reeling from severe emotional trauma.

Brokenhearted and confused, I thought, I asked advice, I tried to figure out what God’s plan was for me. If these were signs. I prayed istikhara.

Everyone was of the opinion that this man my father liked was a God-send. But more than that. He ticked all the checkboxes that were my bare minimum.

My parents locked me up in a room. Gave me the odd slap. Forbade me from working. Forbade me from traveling. Hid my passport. Forbade me from seeing my friends. Kicked me out of the house.

And when that didn’t work, they resorted to what eventually did work.

I had brought shame to the family. Me, who had always brought so much pride, was now unworthy.

They fucked with my head. I’m sorry to say it, but that is the only word to use. And I believed.

I believed when they said I would forget.

I believed when they said so many women do this and live normal lives.

I believed when they said making my parents happy would make God happy and that would make me happy.

I believed when they said time and good treatment can make you fall in love with anyone.

I believed when they said I was emotional and we went through stories like this and we’re your parents and know what’s best for you.

I believed. I believed. I believed.

I was naiive.

And I was good. So good. I listened to my elders. I learned from their mistakes and their advice. I refused to be the ungrateful daughter. I wanted to be perfect.

And I was.

There are costs we are willing to pay to get what we want. The loss of my family is something I wasn’t willing to, and still cannot, pay.

The manipulation of religion. If I hadn’t been such a strong believer, I think by now I probably would have given up on Islam. As it is, my faith is hanging on weak threads, and it is only because I am still able to distinguish between culture and religion that it’s still there.

My parents made me question if I truly was a good Muslim. Isn’t Islam about submission? Isn’t it about jihad against what your nafs wants? If it isn’t written for you to marry this person, it won’t ever happen. Be stronger. Be better. They threw verse after verse and hadith after hadith at me. Brought me sheikhs and made me listen to horror story of love marriages and success stories of arranged marriages.

So I was stronger. I shoved myself into the tiniest corner of my being that I could, and I brainwashed myself better than anyone else. I could do this. I could make my brain triumph over my emotions and heart. I was strong. I was good. I was a wonderful daughter. I would bring pride. And when God saw what a good person I was being, He would help me somehow.

So I made istikhara. I asked God to give me what was right for me.

And the engagement proceeded.

And one very, very important point: I told my fiancé that I loved someone else, but someone I had accepted I could not have. I told him I did not want to marry him, but that he presented the freedom I now felt I was going to die without. That I would not be the wife he deserved.

And he still wanted me.

He believed that if I married him, left the hell that was my home, was given all the freedom I never had, and saw what a good person he was and how much he loved me, then I would one day love him.

He was naiive too.

There is so much more I can say. I can write a book about what led me to make the decision I did. But suffice to say, when I made my decision I honestly saw no other way.

So I gritted my teeth, cancelled out my spirit and heart and mind and soul, and went through with it.

One clarification I need to make since it got a little lost in editing: I did not mean I advise women to do what I did. I meant that if I went through with the marriage, and lost the part of me that people told me I would lose, then I would become like those women who advised me to get married, and so I would advise women to do what I did.

Unfortunately, as so many of you told me might happen: I didn’t.

I didn’t lose that part of me.

So here I am. Married. And miserable.

And more trapped that I ever was before.

With the irony being that I have freedom I never could have imagined in a million years.

I married a wonderful, patient, kind man with one of the most beautiful hearts I have ever encountered.

And I don’t love him.

I try. I fail. I try. I fail.

And I can’t imagine spending a life like this.

And I can’t imagine going back to my father’s house.

And I can’t imagine – even after all this – to tell my parents I want a divorce and I’m not coming back.

I still can’t shame them like that.

Still trapped by the person I was—or used to be.

My parents see my misery.

And they don’t care.

We haven’t talked in months.

I lost pretty much everything.

And I gained nothing—nothing but the freedom to move around in a bigger cage, one of my own making this time.

I am pathetic, in a way. I admit that. A coward. A slave to society and culture that has killed something in me. That has made me a ghost of who I once was. I want it all. I want their approval and my happiness. My cake and to eat it too. I was never willing to sacrifice anything but myself.

But I have never had anything but the best of intentions and reasons. And I know God knows that.

I am living in a torturous limbo.

Unable to accept and adapt, and unable to walk away.

I cannot find the courage I need.

Perhaps I never will.

But perhaps one day I will.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
  • Arranged Marriage
     Reply #35 - June 18, 2013, 09:26 PM

And there has been a follow up article written from one man's point of view on the same topic:

A Man’s Take on “Arranged” Marriage

My name  is “Fuz,” and I loved a woman who married someone else. She claimed that she loved me until the day of her marriage.

Why did she marry someone else if we loved each other? The usual suspects: family, honor and, most of all, religion.

The principal problem, she says, was my religion.

I am a Muslim, and always have been. Her family thought otherwise. My sect of Islam was not acceptable to them. Because I could never fully understand their hate for my religious convictions, I might be inaccurately portraying their disapproval. I don’t know, but it didn’t make sense to me.

They didn’t approve because they thought I was a kafir and my nikah (marriage) with her would not have been jaiz (permissible).

The sectarianism was mutually enforced. My parents had a similar disdain for the idea of our marriage. Regardless, I had no confusion as to what I should or should not do for my parents. I firmly believed that marrying a person of my choice was my inalienable right.

But, the girl was not a rebel – I was.  Her only rebellion was loving me. Even though she considered me Muslim enough, her parents’ beliefs and their flawed reasoning seemed more important than her happiness. They never even met me.  Yet, she dared to love me, and our love grew.

Let’s backtrack a little. How did we fall in love?

We went to the same graduate school and saw a lot of each other. We spent considerable time together and got to know one another other really well. It is safe to say that we saw the best and worst of our personalities. Despite this, we fell madly in love.

Love Inshallah readers who advocate arranged marriages would have argued we were an ideal paper match – similar schooling, same ethnic-national backgrounds and commensurate social standing. The only difference was our religious sects.

For Love InshAllah readers who are proponents of love marriages, we were made for each other. But she thought her parents would  not accept the marriage and we had to accept that. She was that traditional. She told me, “My parents have done good to me. They don’t deserve the burden of our marriage.” She caved in to her parent’s demands.

I tried to understand. I was accommodating. I was her best friend as she went through the trauma leading up to her marriage. Concealing my own trauma all the while, I suffered in silence. I saw the different directions she was being pulled in, and I didn’t want to add to her misery by pulling her in my direction.

Still, I hoped that she’d move in the direction of our love. I desperately hoped that she would realize I was worth the trouble. I prayed that she’d finally defy tradition and family and come to my side for a life partnership.

She claimed to be a feminist but her life decisions reinforced misogyny.

I promised that I’d protect her, give her shelter and comfort and whatever else she needed from me. She worried about the fate of our future children in terms of religious upbringing. I told her she would decide our children’s religious sect. Initially this reassured her, but later she made peace with the fact that her life would be lived according to conditions set by others.

She is married to someone else now. And I suffer.  I deal with a great deal of pain and anguish every single day.

Believe it or not, men too have a hard time being happy after they have loved someone sincerely. Moving on is easier said than done. For those who tell me time heals, I’d rather smack them than hear them out. I feel that I have lost a part of me and nothing will heal that.

One outcome of such a woman’s decision is the man she is married to – her husband. We do not yet know that story. Will he make her happy? Will she grow to love him? Most men do want their wives to love them. Would he feel betrayed if her knew her heart belonged to another on their wedding day?

But I am the other outcome: the disgruntled, sad lover of the woman who caved in. The one who honored a woman who became irrationally submissive to cultural norms and family constraints. I am the man who loved a woman who surrendered her life decisions to those who did not seem concerned about about her actual happiness.

I do not know how I will come through this. Will I be a man who cannot love again? Will I turn into a husband who will look for someone else in his wife, a replacement, and will therefore never give his wife the happiness that she deserves? Will I  always long for what can never be mine?

Before she got married, we mutually agreed to end all contact. Despite my longing, I stuck to the bargain. I did not contact her.

A day before her marriage, she messaged me: I love you so much. I don’t know how I will do this for life.

But she did it. She married another man.

Meanwhile, my love is still here. Waiting.

“Fuz” is a guy who was introduced to Love, Inshallah by the girl he loved. That girl is no longer in his life. But he has something to say to her in case she is reading this:

Hey B – I love you

Source

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
  • Arranged Marriage
     Reply #36 - June 18, 2013, 10:41 PM

So sad.  Cry

It's good to read about this topic from a man's P.O.V.

Since I am not from the South Asian/Muslim background I have nothing more to say than:   far away hug to Fuz and his lady love.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
  • Arranged Marriage
     Reply #37 - June 18, 2013, 11:50 PM

And one very, very important point: I told my fiancé that I loved someone else, but someone I had accepted I could not have. I told him I did not want to marry him, but that he presented the freedom I now felt I was going to die without. That I would not be the wife he deserved.

And he still wanted me.

Yeah that is a very important point. Something about it sounds so wrong. This new man is willing to stick around with a girl who not only doesn't love him, but proclaims to love another man. Isn't that the ultimate humiliation? It makes marriage absolutely meaningless, might as well call it a room mate.
    And what about the unhealthy ways it will emerge in the relationship. It will surely bite this girl right in the bum later on. He might get mad. He might hit her, accuse her, when the honeymoon period is over.
    And sleeping with him? Well I wonder...
    This is a story of how marriage means nothing. Religious marriage means nothing. It takes two willing people to make marriage mean anything at all.

The guys story broke my heart...especially since it's a sectarian issue. Reminds me of hearing my friends talk about how they will never marry across sects. Sigh. Whatever, she chose this. Now her hole is dug so deep, she has no choice but to be a full on rebel to get out of it. No more dilly dallying. Whatever tho.

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

• Arranged Marriage
     Reply #38 - June 19, 2013, 06:42 AM

Cry Fuz. That's so sad. I still think the girl in the first story should've stood her ground; her father being a sociopathic "madman" would've made the break easier, if you ask me. It's heartbreaking what people subject themselves to in the name of religion, family and culture.
  • Arranged Marriage
     Reply #39 - June 19, 2013, 07:25 AM

Still can't find any sympathy for her. I sincerely hope she finds happiness in a "freedom" she never wanted.

• Arranged Marriage
     Reply #40 - June 21, 2013, 01:06 AM

It seems to me to be textbook racism. The principle, forefront, top-of-the-list definition of racism. The idea that one's own 'kind' is best and non-kind are unfit for a thing or inferior in some way. In this context, ethnocentric seems to be a distinction with no difference.
    What do you mean by race, then? Visible physical distinction? Because race (and racism) in common parlance is usually pertaining to a wide range of cultural, linguistic, ethnic, biological indicators. A white British person could be racist against white Polish immigrants, but they'd never even know them to be Polish unless they had an accent or spoke Polish or disclosed that they were Polish.

There are multiple definitions of race with subtle contradictions amongst them. Basically I'm talking about the arbitrary divisions among humans based on physical characteristics, especially the combination of skin color and facial features, to categorize.

As such I'm not really finding where race comes into it, as opposed to a shared background and culture. For those living lives dominated by such cultures its unthinkable to permeate that cocoon with other backgrounds and ways of thinking. Hence ethnocentrism.

Edit: Basically seeing as how looks oftentimes are a rather minor part of the equation when making such "arrangements", I find it hard to see the reason to think that the superficial differences in physical characteristics and judgements derived thereof would necessarily be considered a part of the arranged marriage situation.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Arranged Marriage
     Reply #41 - June 21, 2013, 08:03 AM

You say tomayto, I say tomahto.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
  • Arranged Marriage
     Reply #42 - June 21, 2013, 10:31 AM

Me tomahto boy too.
  • Arranged Marriage
     Reply #43 - June 21, 2013, 04:01 PM

@ Fuz article.

The fact that she went to grad school showed she was capable of being independant from her parents and it souded like she lived in a secular country.

If she was always going to end up marrying the man her parents would choose why the hell would she lead the guy on. Either have the balls to marry him or at the very least don't lead him on.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
  • Arranged Marriage
     Reply #44 - April 16, 2014, 10:41 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip4N3HKGiT0#t=48

Marraige made 'easy and halaal'

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »