Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:41 PM

What's happened to the fo...
Today at 12:21 PM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Iraq's anti-Islamic female black metalist

(Read 24131 times)
  • 12 3 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Iraq's anti-Islamic female black metalist
     OP - June 05, 2013, 12:53 AM

I think I've just fallen in love with her (Janazah). She's the world's most hardcore black metal artist considering the possible consequences she could face in Iraq. She rails against Islamic oppression with such deserved energy, and here the dark imagery of her black art becomes so paradoxically beautiful- the purity of Islam is a facade, and in Iraq it's responsible for a disgusting violence infinitely darker and sinister than a mere metal track could ever hope to muster. Janazah's independent thought would violently enrage millions of Iraq's devout, the same devout who are accepting of the real world violence of their religion and the eternal hell fire that awaits its' victims.

When Black Metal's Anti-Religious Message Gets Turned on Islam

"Burn the Quran! Burn the fucking Quran!" a woman screams hoarsely, over and over again. Tinny guitars course beneath her howls, sawing away at any semblance of melody. Sampled snippets of fundamentalist Islamic rhetoric filter through, and muffled voices exhort their unseen audience to praise Allah and to destroy the infidel.

To fans of heavy music, the hallmarks are immediately recognizable. This is raw, mid-tempo black metal, a lo-fi example of heavy metal's most evil subgenre. Black metal feeds upon hatred, nihilism, and anti-human behavior. Extremity is everything. It drinks the blood of Christ, turns upon its own, and takes almost carnal pleasure in the theory and imagery of war. The music from the early days of this scene conjured images of the ashes of burned churches and the dried blood of murder, and yet the genre, in its middle age, often doesn't shock the way it once did. The hellish noise of this particular song, though, does. There's something different about it. This is real.

The overall effect is chilling, which is, of course, exactly its creator's intent. She says her name is Anahita, the 28-years-old voice and vitriol behind Janaza, which is believed to be Iraq's very first female-fronted, black-metal band. Allow that notion—Iraq's very first female-fronted, black-metal band—to sink in for a moment. Her first recording, Burn the Pages of Quran, boasts five distorted, primitive tracks that altogether run just shy of an unlucky 13 minutes. She, along with a handful of other acts who say they hail from the Middle East, are repurposing black metal's historically anti-Christian ferocity to rail against Islam. In doing so, these bands are serving up another example of how art and dissent can intersect in a region where dissent can sometimes have deadly consequences.

For rather obvious reasons, Anahita keeps her full identity secret. In every photograph, she's smeared with layers of black and white corpse paint, rendering her anonymous and demonic-looking. It's difficult for a Westerner to find much information on Anahita, but she is becoming recognized within the international metal scene as one of Iraq's most blasphemous entities. She rarely grants interviews; the only other published Janaza interview to date comes courtesy of long-running dark music blog Heathen Harvest. It took well over a year for me to track her down, and even then, she refused to speak on the phone, instead insisting on communicating via Facebook. She answered questions about her life, her views, and her music, including the one that weighed heaviest on both of our minds: What would happen to her and her compatriots if religious authorities discovered their actions?

"A simple answer. They would kill me, and kill all of my friends, by cutting off our heads."

Death informs every part of Anahita's world. She says she was raised in a Muslim home in Baghdad by parents who were "open minded" and "not strict." A suicide bomb—"by a Muslim guy of course," Anahita wrote—killed her parents and her younger brother during the Iraq War, and she says she has since seen religiously motivated violence hurt some of her college friends too. "What keeps the fire burning is that I live every day in the memories of my parents and friends, and every day the people try to threaten me," she said. "That's why I am full of hate." Fittingly, in Arabic, "Janaza," the name of her band, is a funeral prayer for the dead.

She says she lost her faith, as so many do, between the pages of a book. "I was reading some scientific facts and how Islam doesn't make sense at all with the current science, and they use the method of 'brainwashing' to convince people about Islam," she wrote. Her lyrics for Janaza and its sister project, Seeds of Iblis, make clear where she stands now: "Islamic Lies," "Burn the Pages of Quran," and "When Islam Brainwashed Mankind" are a few of her more memorable tunes. However, unlike many of her contemporaries within the global black metal scene, she leaves Jesus out of it. "I am fully anti-religion in general, but I didn't live in a Christian atmosphere and the Christian people didn't kill anyone who means something to me," she says.

Before her parents' death, Anahita says, she taught herself to play music and had played in a thrash band called Desertor. "I've been a musician since about nine years now, but didn't have any chance to write and record my own materials in the past due to the fucked-up situation in the city," she said. "I used to have a small thrash-metal band in the early 2000s before the war, and we used to record and rehearse a lot, so we were used to recording."

To hear her tell it, a diverse metal scene thrives underground in Iraq. "Metal is metal, black metal is black metal, it doesn't matter if girls or guys are handling the music, the most important thing to me is the passion behind the music itself," she said. "There are many bands here, they just need time and money and some help to record their materials."

She's not alone in her fight. Seeds of Iblis ("Iblis" is an Arabic word for the Devil) features five men and one other woman besides Anahita herself (Epona, who has also spent time in the now-defunct black metal band False Allah) who handles the vocals and lyrics, and released their first EP, Jihad Against Islam, in 2011 via French label Legion of Death. This band is even more unrelenting, crafting songs like "Sex With Muhammad's Corpse" and "Inverted Hilal." One of the band's guitarists, Yousef, pulls double duty in Tadnees, another virulently anti-Muslim outfit who, together with the aforementioned projects, style themselves as part of an "Anti-Islamic League."

Outside this immediate black circle, there's a scattering of other Middle Eastern or Muslim-raised blasphemers who have been making their screams heard. On the more obscure end, there's Damaar, a now-defunct Beirut collective whose howling, sacrilegious approach to black metal spawned tunes like "Preaching for Mass Suicide" and "Ode to Blasphemy (Onward to the Gates of Mekka)" on their Triumph Through Spears of Sacrilege demo (released by American label Nuclear War Now! Productions). More famously, Lebanon group Ayat have released albums through the prolific North-American label Moribund Records. When their most recent record, Six Years of Dormant Hatred, was released and first burst into the greater consciousness, writers and music critics made much of their brutal, sacrilegious, seemingly anti-Muslim lyrics. Since then, perhaps shying away from the heat generated by their album, the band issued this statement: "We never described ourselves as Anti-Islamic Black Metal. We are against the religious establishment in all its forms and Islam is just one form of it."

Venturing beyond the Middle East yet ever deeper into Islamic territory, we find Weapon. Currently based in Canada and freshly signed to Relapse Records, this particular black/death horde is led by frontman Vetis Monarch, who was born and raised in a Muslim household in Bangladesh. Though the soul of the band is purely Satanic, they make their sentiments in regards to Islam known in songs like "Remnants of a Burnt Mosque" and "Violated Hijab."

In a scene revered and reviled for its commitment to darkness and blasphemy, it's nevertheless rare to encounter musicians who are, quite literally, willing to die for their art. Anahita's message is controversial, but it also comes with sobering, almost-jarring humanity. As her one-woman war against Islam rages on, her deepest desire seems to be for peace—or at least, for understanding.

"The goals of Janaza and Seeds Of Iblis are to show the world that Islam is dangerous," she said, "and even the people who live in the Middle East get hurt by this religion and seek for freedom of speech, just like the other people from all over the world."

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/07/when-black-metals-anti-religious-message-gets-turned-on-islam/259680/

Burn the Pages Of Quran  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS73YZgqGx0

Burning Quran Ceremony  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2W9WRw22Ng&list=PL60EE40337020F1A7
     Reply #1 - June 05, 2013, 02:17 AM

Very interesting, I will listen to those tomorrow! I can definitely see change occurring in the 'Islamic' world bit by bit.
     Reply #2 - June 05, 2013, 05:27 AM

That's quite good. I've always been a sucker for a simple, punchy riff.
     Reply #3 - June 05, 2013, 09:26 AM

Awesome. Not a fan of this style of music myself, but this is pretty cool.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #4 - June 05, 2013, 10:55 PM

Not exactly new. I've been listening to hit for several years now. There was a big debate about whether or not it's a fake or not.
     Reply #5 - July 02, 2013, 11:51 PM

They just got a new release !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC64zEtvqTg
     Reply #6 - July 03, 2013, 08:32 AM

I'd take her seriously, but she's too western for that shit. Rebel against islam, but do that with dignity, don't turn into a obnoxious idiot who worships heathenry, like those metalhead morons in the west.
     Reply #7 - July 03, 2013, 08:56 AM

I'm good mates with quite a few passionate (black) metalheads and they're about as hardline atheist as you can get.

Go on then, call me a nazi because I like industrial music.

For someone who disavows eurocentric/oriental criticism of islam you don't hesitate to write reams upon reams of discourse exalting a post-islamic culture that murtads can identify with.

Do you even know what the word tawheed really intends to convey? It is not merely monotheism, it is an affirmation of the oneness of the divine (god) as creator and source. Secular culture simply does not exist in the islamic world as it would violate this very principle. Islam is culture as much as culture is Islam.

Of course, next time I'm seeking degenerate art untainted by western secularism to express my rage I'll be sure to consult you, oh mighty scholar of post-conservative-liberal-religio-fascist-modern-nonsense.
     Reply #8 - July 03, 2013, 09:01 AM

One more thing, metal music was born out of the western underclass and the black experience. So either you're hopelessly bourgeois and have  ego-ised your allah or you can't understand the transcendent nature of youth cultures.
     Reply #9 - July 03, 2013, 09:04 AM

I'd take her seriously, but she's too western for that shit. Rebel against islam, but do that with dignity, don't turn into a obnoxious idiot who worships heathenry, like those metalhead morons in the west.

People can rebel against Islam as they please.

God is Love.

Reply #10 - July 03, 2013, 09:22 AM

By her adopting western culture as a modicum, she receives no support, because she doesn't belong to the ethnicity/race attached to that culture. Hence why it doesn't even make sense for her to adopt western culture as a modicum of rebellion. It makes absoloutely no sense. It's like me adopting shintoism, because i'm against stupidity in my culture, expecting the japanese to have my back.

You guys think that the west have your backs?  Murtads can't depend on the west(because the overwhelming most of us are non-white) and the islamic world is against us because of our theological disagreements. We're philosphically and existence-wise on our own.  I also refuse to side with the west, because it wouldn't make a difference if we were a muslim or not, they're not interested in helping or protecting us. The best is a third position, neither islamic nor western.
     Reply #11 - July 03, 2013, 09:35 AM

It is not for you to decide what forms of rejection of Islam are halal or not.

God is Love.

Reply #12 - July 03, 2013, 09:41 AM

I don't decide for people, but your liberal position makes zero sense. I can only convince you that your position is irrational, I of course can't tell you what you do. I can only stress that the west won't hold our hands or support us. But if you want to engross yourself into western culture and expect things to change, and somehow change things, then all i can say is "go on and knock yourself out" but don't expect westerners to verify your existence. Go o head banging and painting your face white and black and growling like a goat, go on embarrasing your own people and your ideological kin, and scream "BURN THE QU'RAN, F*** MOHAMMED".
     Reply #13 - July 03, 2013, 09:47 AM

but your liberal position makes zero sense

Your pompous declarations like this, and pontificating on how people's rejections of Islam should manifest, are examples of a void of sense.

God is Love.

Reply #14 - July 03, 2013, 09:53 AM

How? Show me where i was irrational and where my reasoning fails.

One more thing, metal music was born out of the western underclass and the black experience. So either you're hopelessly bourgeois and have  ego-ised your allah or you can't understand the transcendent nature of youth cultures.

Those people were mostly white westerners. I and most people here are from the MENA region. Specifically the arab world and pakistan. This has nothing to do with class. I'm simply against the expression of western culture as a rebellion against islam. Western culture is incompatible with our identity as MENA's us, whether we're murtads or muslims.

Also culture can be reinvented, i don't think we'll ever be able to rid of islam, but what can happen is a change within islam, or perhaps a reinvention of ethnic nationalism that moderates religious forces. More likely than adopting western culture.
     Reply #15 - July 03, 2013, 10:27 AM

I can only stress that the west won't hold our hands or support us.

A point that has been made many times on this forum - in sorrow and in anger, as people ask why the liberal left gives comfort to Islamists while ignoring or demonising ex-Muslims.
     Reply #16 - July 03, 2013, 10:27 AM

Here is the news.  People reject Islam in myriad manners and their reality is complex. People reject Islam in various ways. Their rejection manifests itself in various ways. Their manifestation doesn't need to be given a certificate of permissibility by a condescending halal inspector of rejection-of-Islam meat.

God is Love.

Reply #17 - July 03, 2013, 12:05 PM

By her adopting western culture as a modicum, she receives no support, because she doesn't belong to the ethnicity/race attached to that culture. Hence why it doesn't even make sense for her to adopt western culture as a modicum of rebellion. It makes absoloutely no sense. It's like me adopting shintoism, because i'm against stupidity in my culture, expecting the japanese to have my back.

You guys think that the west have your backs?  Murtads can't depend on the west(because the overwhelming most of us are non-white) and the islamic world is against us because of our theological disagreements. We're philosphically and existence-wise on our own.  I also refuse to side with the west, because it wouldn't make a difference if we were a muslim or not, they're not interested in helping or protecting us. The best is a third position, neither islamic nor western.

Cultural authenticity is a myth spread by those in whose interests it is to define cultural authenticity. Discuss.
     Reply #18 - July 03, 2013, 01:36 PM

Here is the news.  People reject Islam in myriad manners and their reality is complex. People reject Islam in various ways. Their rejection manifests itself in various ways. Their manifestation doesn't need to be given a certificate of permissibility by a condescending halal inspector of rejection-of-Islam meat.

Yeah, lets all become uncle-saids, because kissing up to the west and replacing our culture, and throwing away our identity will solve our problems  Roll Eyes.  You're too liberal to see things clearly. You want to emulate the culture of people who don't give a rats shit about you, who you can't assimilate amongst. You want to use their icons and their culture to reach out and solve our problems?

the people who readily sacrifice people like yourself on the altar of national interests. Who Install puppets into middle-eastern countries, and support salafist terrorists and do nothing but destabilize that region and turn it into a dumping ground and a place to exploit resources. Do you think these people want your best for you? 

I'm sorry, but this turncoat behavior won't solve problems in the middle-east or any muslim community at all, by turning into some ultra-western idiots and deviant metalheads. Normal muslims and muslims sitting on the fence will never respect you, because you reject their grievances and you reject your own cultural and ethnical identity. You can be a murtad and still be middle-easterner, you don't have to act like a total sell-out.

To people like that, who totally engorge themselves in western culture, and turn into obnoxious metalheads and white-wannabes. I say good luck to you rootless people, who rebel against islam by turning into identity/cultural sell-outs. Don't expect anyone to support you.

Cultural authenticity is a myth spread by those in whose interests it is to define cultural authenticity. Discuss.

Totally irrelevant. It doesn't matter if there are no clear cultural borders. Nothing is clear cut, but there are patterns that obviously seperate different cultures. Turning into a black metal freak is obviously rejecting your own culture as an iraqi, and it will alienate most people around you. Besides it totally lacking dignity and respect for your own culture.
     Reply #19 - July 03, 2013, 01:49 PM

You're too liberal to see things clearly

And you are spouting belligerent, ignorant, presumptive and uselessly patronising baloney like this.

God is Love.

Reply #20 - July 03, 2013, 02:01 PM

Pishte, your view of the west is every bit as blinkered as Robert Spencer's view of Islam. 

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #21 - July 03, 2013, 02:12 PM

Nope.... I've lived all my life in the west, I know about their culture, I know about their views, anonymous and public. I've went to the schools here, I've mingled with people here, I know what they think. I know how things work here.  I know about their political institutions, their views, mindset, their double-think and cynicalism, their unmatched racialization, their political movements(Left, Centre and Right), their media, their reasoning and their argumentation. First and foremost, I know how they view us.

So calling me blinkered doesn't work, my views are backed up by direct experience and extensive research.

I'm not some middle-aged, obese, bitter, armenian-american pseudo-scholar with an education from some unknown neo-con christian university whose never left mid-west for more than 3 months and pretends to be an expert on the middle-east and islam.
     Reply #22 - July 03, 2013, 02:18 PM

Your views are still blinkered.   

Some people like that kind of music, from whatever cultural or religious background they come.  Its not my thing, but if its hers let her get on with it.  Accusing her of being a turncoat, sell out and white wannabe is peurile in the extreme.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #23 - July 03, 2013, 02:31 PM

Puerile, ignorant, and redolent of the policing of expression that so many ex-Muslims seek to escape from.

And that shit isn't going to fly on a forum for ex-Muslims.

God is Love.

Reply #24 - July 03, 2013, 02:34 PM

Those people were mostly white westerners.

I didn't say they weren't.

I and most people here are from the MENA region. Specifically the arab world and pakistan. This has nothing to do with class. I'm simply against the expression of western culture as a rebellion against islam. Western culture is incompatible with our identity as MENA's us, whether we're murtads or muslims.

Cultures aren't rebellions, they are safety valves. read Adorno's essays on music.

Also culture can be reinvented, i don't think we'll ever be able to rid of islam, but what can happen is a change within islam, or perhaps a reinvention of ethnic nationalism that moderates religious forces. More likely than adopting western culture.

Smart, better not say that to people with mixed heritage. Yeah, really smart.

Reply #25 - July 03, 2013, 02:44 PM

Puerile, ignorant, and redolent of the policing of expression that so many ex-Muslims seek to escape from.

And that shit isn't going to fly on a forum for ex-Muslims.

God, what a terrible reason to leave islam, such self-hatred.  015 , you left islam so you can pretend to be a white? :/. Beginning to sound like Ali Sina. That is the worst reason to abandon your culture and your ethnicity and religion.

I'm only stating my opinion and backing it up with arguments. If you don't like my take on the matter, don't read my posts. I'm not policing or forcing people to behave or act in a certain way. No one here is forced to read my posts or heed my opinions.

Your views are still blinkered.   

Some people like that kind of music, from whatever cultural or religious background they come.  Its not my thing, but if its hers let her get on with it.  Accusing her of being a turncoat, sell out and white wannabe is peurile in the extreme.

I know plenty of middle-eastern trash(from all communities), who want so badly to assimilate into western culture and become like a white, they trash talk their own people with whites, and also trash talk other immigrant groups as barbaric and backwards, indulging in self-decrepating racism and racism towards other groups. I despise those people as much as i despise islamists.  It's usually those people who feel disconnected from their own people, and listen to metal and other very white music tastes to mark their "assimilation" or lie about their origin, or only have white friends. I see similar latent tendency in this girl. Maybe i'm wrong. I still find her choice to engorge herself in a super-white music style, to make a political statement, as offensive to me.

Smart, better not say that to people with mixed heritage. Yeah, really smart.

They're such a marginal part of middle-eastern society, i simply don't care. If they want to assimilate with middle-easterners, it's their choice, if they don't want to, they can assimilate into their other parents culture. They can't do both.

Reply #26 - July 03, 2013, 02:53 PM

I know plenty of middle-eastern trash(from all communities), who want so badly to assimilate into western culture and become like a white, they trash talk their own people with whites, and also trash talk other immigrant groups as barbaric and backwards, indulging in self-decrepating racism and racism towards other groups. I despise those people as much as i despise islamists.

In an earlier post you said you knew lots of white westerners and knew all about their cynicism, double think, racialism, yada yada.  It seems to me that you look for the worst in any group you come into contact with.  And, surprise surprise, you find it.

Reply #27 - July 03, 2013, 02:58 PM

Totally irrelevant. It doesn't matter if there are no clear cultural borders. Nothing is clear cut, but there are patterns that obviously seperate different cultures. Turning into a black metal freak is obviously rejecting your own culture as an iraqi, and it will alienate most people around you. Besides it totally lacking dignity and respect for your own culture.

It's clearly anything but irrelevant. Worshipping at the altar of an idealised culture results in the compulsory loss of personal autonomy, as the unhappy question of what constitutes "dignity and respect for your own culture" is something one must then rely upon one's cultural betters to explain.

Who are *your* cultural betters, Pishte_Kooh?
     Reply #28 - July 03, 2013, 02:59 PM

@Toor

What are you saying, Western culture is superior to middle-eastern culture because it's more popular? I'm not insecure about middle-eastern culture, I don't believe western culture is superior, neither do i believe middle-eastern culture is superior. The difference however is that i identify with middle-eastern identity and thus culture. Does it give a preference, for sure, but it doesn't automatically i look down on others. Like you and westerners tend to do.
     Reply #29 - July 03, 2013, 03:02 PM

@Toor

What are you saying, Western culture is superior to middle-eastern culture because it's more popular?

I'm saying that enforced respect for one's culture is apparently the done thing in your world. Hence my question: who are your cultural betters?
  • 12 3 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »