Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hi, I'm new and I'm lost.

(Read 26754 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hi, I'm new and I'm lost.
     Reply #30 - July 14, 2013, 10:57 PM

But what if that false belief is all I have to hold on to? The only source of comfort and sanity in a dark and meaningless world.

Maybe you can find another thing to hold on to, another source, a new one. And maybe you will !
    Furthermore, what guarantees do I have that what you(or I) consider to be a 'false belief' is actually false?

Nothing does. There is this great quotation from Howard Phillip Lovecraft, the writer that created Cthulhu and all this pantheon of science-horror-fiction, which I find relevant here (and which was not directed at Islam, actually) :
    “All I say is that I think it is damned unlikely that anything like a central cosmic will, a spirit world, or an eternal survival of personality exist. They are the most preposterous and unjustified of all the guesses which can be made about the universe, and I am not enough of a hairsplitter to pretend that I don't regard them as arrant and negligible moonshine. In theory I am an agnostic, but pending the appearance of radical evidence I must be classed, practically and provisionally, as an atheist.
    In theory, we can't disprove it, so we should consider it possible. However, they look so implausible that in practice, we don't.
    (Also, there are a bunch of others religions with similar yet different claims that we can't disprove either, so how would we choose ? This way ?
     Reply #31 - July 15, 2013, 05:43 AM

After re-reading this part of my last post...

"4 days into Ramadan, here is my report card: Not a single prayer was prayed, and not a single fast was observed, and a ton of pRon was watched, and premarital carnal knowledge was had, and some makrooh herbs were inhaled. On the plus side, no khamr was quaffed nor any khanzir eaten."

...... I can see how some might view what I wrote as flippant or facetious. It's not. I was and am entirely and earnestly serious.

I've never wanted anything more in my life than to change completely this Ramadan and go back to being a believing practicing Muslim. I wanted the peace, serenity, and satisfaction garnered from a long night of Taraweeh prayers followed by Qiyaam-ul-layl. I wanted to bask in the camaraderie and comradeship at the various masajid. I wanted to cry spiritual tears of love and longing for Allah as I read the Quran and reflected on my sins. For those of you who are/were practicing Muslims, you know of what I speak.

But. I .Just. Couldn't. It's like there are these invisible chains holding me back. How pathetic is that I, a (former) hafiz, (former)khatib, 'knowledgeable brother' couldn't even fast the 1st day of Ramadan nor pray a single namaz let alone taraweeh? "Couldn't" is the wrong word. Didn't, is more accurate.

What makes it all bitterly ironic is this: There are full-blown atheists/exmuslims who for one reason or another pray, fast, go to jummah/eid prayers.

And here I am, still professing to be a muslim, still believing in the potency and benefit of prayer and fasting, yet not doing any of the basic fundamentals for years at this point.

Given that the quran/hadith frequently talk about how Allah "guides who He wants and misguides who He wants" and "seal put on his heart", the only logical conclusion I can draw is that a seal was placed on my heart. That's actually what a reputable scholar told me, using a hadith about missing jummuah as evidence.

Reply #32 - July 15, 2013, 11:20 AM

True words. But what if that false belief is all I have to hold on to? The only source of comfort and sanity in a dark and meaningless world. Furthermore, what guarantees do I have that what you(or I) consider to be a 'false belief' is actually false? What if there indeed is a painful hellfire with boiling water and a heaven filled with sex-crazed virgins and rivers of wine, milk, and honey?

Have you thought about what other religions have to offer? It's not just Islam or Atheism, it's hundreds of different religions. What makes Islam special is that it uses powerful brainwashing techniques and scare tactics to lock you in. Lots of people believe in a God who tortures people over believing the wrong thing, but no one has any proof for their belief. Maybe it's the religious people who will go to hell for being arrogant enough to claim knowledge about God that they can't possibly have. Religion is a messy, messy thing.
     Reply #33 - July 15, 2013, 06:17 PM

seeker, first i wanna congratulate you for being honest about your faith, something that many muslims feel reluctant to do

secondly i just can't help but wonder, after all of those things, how could you still profess yourself as a muslim

religion, especially Islam with all the claims of perfection, is not something you can pick and choose.
    the Quran is the literal word of god (supposedly) it leaves no room for doubt or mistake. either you accept it or not

What if there indeed is a painful hellfire with boiling water and a heaven filled with sex-crazed virgins and rivers of wine, milk, and honey?

i think many ex-muslim still think about this from time to time, at least in the early years of their apostasy. and there's nothing wrong with it. Islam is something most of us here grew up with, it's the source of our hopes and fears. it's not gonna go away just like that

anyway i wish you all the best
     Reply #34 - July 15, 2013, 08:32 PM

I know how hard it is to come to terms with the idea that not only do you not believe in Islam, it is also NOT TRUE. It took me time to admit it as well.

What if there indeed is a painful hellfire with boiling water and a heaven filled with sex-crazed virgins and rivers of wine, milk, and honey?

I sincerely hope this article helps you to get over the irrational fear that Islam has forced into you.
     Reply #35 - July 16, 2013, 04:37 PM

Its about finding a balance that is right for you.

Its probably easier to find that balance if you don't feel coerced by family and the immediate environmen

Maybe finding some space of your own can help to find this balance?

No it's not. In fact, I hope it never is. It's about finding the truth, and being able to critically use your thinking skills to determine whether or not something is true. Seeker, you have to, and must, realize that attacking slavery, stoning, rape, is NOT an argument (though it can lead to arguments). This only determines whether or not you like something. It does not determine whether the specific belief is true. If Islam is true, you can call it immoral as much as you want, but it won't change the fact that you will roast in hell if you disobey god. I am sorry, but that is the harsh truth. Stop caring about what you feel, and start caring about Islam's truth value. Only then will you find peace.
     Reply #36 - July 19, 2013, 08:47 AM

Hey Seeker, I truly hope you find some comfort here if not answers.

I thought I may open up to you and perhaps some insights into my own life may offer you something.

I'm not religious. I don't believe any of them to be true. It's not that I'm hostile towards religion, any religion, it's simply that I don't believe them. As someone who participated in Dawah I'm sure you realise that it's all about making sense. That's it in a nutshell.

I actually have a friend who converted to Hinduism. He read many religious books and studied in depth but it was never for him. Then one day he read the sacred texts of Hinduism, read the books of Hindu scholars, and that was it. It just clicked. Everything fell into place, everything made sense. He still wishes people a Merry Christmas and gives and receives gifts, and goes along with the tradition, not because he believes in it in a religious sense, he just thinks showing your appreciation to loved ones and the message of peace and goodwill to all the world is a good thing. Diwali is different, it's not just a nice tradition to him, it's truly a matter of faith. Come Diwali he'll dress in religious clothes, participate in the festivals, close his eyes in contemplation, pray, and affirm his faith in the divine, which he calls Krishna or Vishnu.

I also celebrate Christmas but am not a Christian. Last Christmas was spent at the house of a very good friend. I gave her a gift of emotional significance  It's a nice feeling, knowing someone cares enough to search for something special and knows you enough to know what you like. We spend Christmas sitting together drinking red wine and talking long into the night.

She lived for a time in quite a religious environment and believed but currently classes herself as an agnostic. At one point she asked me if I believed in reincarnation. I said no, I don't believe in anything supernatural. She asked me to be specific, so I was. That in my eyes religious teaching don't exist. No gods or devils. No angels or demons. No heaven or hell. No reincarnation. No karma.

But that doesn't mean I don't believe in anything, or that I have no codes or moral guidelines. I believe in honour. I believe in integrity. I believe in friendship. I believe in loyalty, I believe in truth. I believe in mercy. I believe in love.

I've always searched for the truth in things. I think it's something different about us currently, from what you've said. I'd rather have a painful truth than a happy lie. I don't think that no god equals no meaning. I don't think no afterlife equals worthless life. My mother doesn't believe in an afterlife. She believes that when she dies that's it. The end. She will cease to exist. And yet she would give her life for me without hesitation, with no promise of reward. She would do this because I'm her child. She loves me.

I've loved as well. I've loved so powerfully I'm consumed by it. The type of love where the very idea of someone hurting them turns the blood in your veins to liquid fire. I would die for those I love.

I also believe in family. But when I say family I don't classify that as blood alone. To me family is more than biology. There are men and women in my life who are not my blood, but they are my family. Family is the ties that bind. Bonds of trust and loyalty maintained and strengthened year after year. Family is comfort in times of sorrow and laughter in times of joy. It's selflessness. It's having someone who will go out of their way to be there for you if you need them.

Part of what you said reminded me of last year. Two friends who are a couple, the woman who at the time was pregnant. Today they have a beautiful daughter. When I was staying with them it was in the six month of pregnancy. I was her friend before I was his, I met him through her and we got on and grew close.

They live rurally out in the countryside. It was in the evening and I was sitting outside enjoying the Autumn night air. My friend came outside to sit with me. She seemed upset. She began talking about her childhood. In the years I've known her she's never dwelled much on the past, more on the present and the future, but was reflecting on her life to this point and the future life of her daughter. The conversation wasn't a happy one. At one point I said "You've never really told me about your childhood before. From what I know, I don't think I'd call it abusive, but it was definitely neglectful." She went quiet and told me when she was a child her father had raped her. The conversation went on. While staying with the two of them it was obvious she was depressed. In fact while we sat there I told her that, and that she was displaying textbook symptoms of clinical depression. I can't quote exact word for word, but .I remember the basic reply.

"I know. But I deal with it."
    "Bollocks do you. You try to shove it deep down. But its always there, every second of every day. You don't deal with it, you manage it." She didn't say anything, just looked off into the dark. We were silent for a moment then I spoke.
    "You ever hear the saying all that matters is what's in your heart?"
    "Yeah."
    "It's bullshit." She looked at me. "Right now what's in your heart is blackness and bile. But that's not the be all and end all unless you allow it. All that matters is what's in your heart is a lie for cowards to comfort themselves. What matters are our choices, and you have two in front of you. Number one, do nothing. Stay as you are, letting the depression get worse and worse. Or, number to, get help. Actually deal with it, get past it, and let it be a rapidly fading memory. There is no third choice. Whichever one you choose, that's who you are."

These are only very select things out of a long conversation but I thought maybe it would apply. I don't think because there's no god her life is meaningless. She's a new mother figuring out how to be a parent and both her and the father are devoted to their child.

Once upon a time I was on a train, sitting next to a Christian. I noticed he was wearing a cross. The ride lasted for hours and we had a conversation. I've always been very open and enjoy meeting new people. He confessed to me he was having a crisis of faith. If you don't give yourself to Jesus and accept him as your saviour you go to hell. He mentioned Gandhi, someone who was not a Christian but was a good man. He questioned his faith in a just merciful god who would send Gandhi to hell just for belonging to the wrong religion. I mentioned some Priests who have said publicly they believe good people who aren't Christians will go to heaven precisely because these Priests believe in a just and merciful god. This seemed to make him feel better. I also offered the opinion that perhaps you could follow Jesus in a way other than being a Christian. You don't have to believe he was god made flesh to see he had good teachings any more than you have to be Muslim to see the beauty and the poetry in the Quran. Do unto others as you would have done unto you, let he who is without sin cast the first stone, judge not lest ye be judged yourself, I think whatever your religion, or lack of religion, you can see the wisdom in that. Perhaps if your own life was lived in this Christ like way that would be following Jesus. Though Gandhi was a Hindu no one can deny many of his teachings and the way he lived his life is exactly how Christians try to live. If god truly is loving just and merciful the idea of a good person being punished for eternity is oxymoronic.

You may say this is picking and choosing, and you're right. That's exactly what it is. Having no god myself makes this rather easy. I can take the parts of the sunnahs and hadiths, and parts from any other religion or philosophy I like and discard the rest, and if I think parts of them do have good teachings I can or should apply, why not?

A physicist (I think it was Lawrence Krauss but I may be wrong) spoke about how we're the children of stars. That we have the same makeup as stars, just like the star we orbit, the sun. That the atoms in our left hand probably come from a different star than the atoms in our right hand. Think about that. Really think about it. For us to live, stars had to die. The physicist said it's the most beautiful, the most poetic thing in all of physics. But the thing is, physics doesn't care. Science has no heart, it has no soul. It's a tool to explore and gain knowledge. It takes the human mind, the human heart, to see the poetry, to see the beauty.

Which suddenly has me thinking about a number of debates I've watch, which I'm sure you've watched as well. It will be an atheist debating a theist, usually a Christian or a Muslim. Any every time, the atheist will ask the question "Would you really go out and steal, rape, murder if you lost your belief in god?" And every time the theist will say yes and every time the atheist won't expect that yes. The fact that the atheists keep being surprised by that yes should tell you more than the entire debate.

You said if there is no God, then what is the meaning and purpose of life? I think the answer to that is you have to find it for yourself. Being an atheist myself obviously I still follow codes and live a moral life without the threat of a god, without the threat of hellfire. In fact, I truly believe that if in the end nothing we do matters, all that matters is what we do. And even the smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

Where morals come from, I'd say us. It's ingrained into us on an evolutionary level because we're a social species. It's not just humans. In a wolf pack, if one wolf is to sick or old to hunt other wolves will hunt for it, sometimes chewing the food to make it easier for the sick/old wolf to eat. Primates will care for and guide other primates in their group who may be blind or have some other kind of disability. Dogs will run into a burning building to alert it's sleeping owners, or drag out a child. If we had evolved differently, into more solitary creatures, any morals we had would be alien to us from our current viewpoint  I imagine we'd still have communication and trade because it would benefit us. But yes, morals, right, wrong, good, evil, these are human inventions.

You may think that if it's just something we made up they aren't real. Obviously they are. The fact they come from us in no way lessens this. I don't know you. I've never met you. You aren't my friend, or my lover, or my sibling. You're words on a screen. But still myself and others are trying to advise and to comfort.  We do this because as human being we have empathy. You are a fellow human being and you are in pain, and myself and others understand this. It's the basis of morality. I understand it and I empathise with you as much as I can because I'm not a psychopath. When I see a fellow human being suffering I am moved to try and offer comfort. I'm rather tired right now so may not be making as much sense as I would if I were more awake and alert. Perhaps I've failed. Perhaps there's nothing I've said to ease your pain. But I've tried and I'll continue try if needed.

I'm not sure if you read my intro but I said that we are so lucky to be alive, and while we live we matter. We are here. We exist. And that's fantastic. In all the world, in all the universe, you are unique. There'll only ever be one of you. And you matter.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #37 - July 29, 2013, 06:40 PM

Thanks to all that responded and thanks QSE for that long, thoughtful post. Very beneficial, especially this part:

" I believe in honour. I believe in integrity. I believe in friendship. I believe in loyalty, I believe in truth. I believe in mercy. I believe in love."

That's what I believe in too. I find myself totally disillusioned with organized religion. I crave the spirituality of Islam and the peace and serenity it brings, not the pontifications of self-styled 'ulema' who act as if they have a direct commission from God to speak on his behalf.

We're in the last 10 days of Ramadan and I have yet to pray or fast. What does that make me? If you would ask me(Seeker 5 years ago) that question about me(Seeker today). Seeker-past would say that Seeker-present has become a kaafir. The fucking irony of it all.

Reply #38 - July 29, 2013, 08:00 PM

Glad I could help even in my so tired I'm almost about to pass out state  Smiley

You can still have spirituality. I get my own sense of that from many sources. Music, books, poetry, philosophy, and inner contemplation.

I work nights. This morning after I got home I watched the sunrise. I made a gin and tonic with a huge chuck of ice and went outside. I sat there, drink in one hand, cigarette in the other, and watched the magnificence of the dawn. The light and the colours, the red, the blue, the pink, the gold, that moment of twilight when you can see the sun and stars meet in the sky before the daylight chases them away. I watched the whole wonderful thing. And the sun rose in the east, shining brightly, still low enough that the sky was filled with colour. I sat and watched the sunrise, and I smiled.

Good to see you back mate. Stick around  Afro

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #39 - August 02, 2013, 03:59 PM

Given that the quran/hadith frequently talk about how Allah "guides who He wants and misguides who He wants" and "seal put on his heart", the only logical conclusion I can draw is that a seal was placed on my heart. That's actually what a reputable scholar told me, using a hadith about missing jummuah as evidence.

fallacy of appeal to emotion, which christian apologists also use ie You must have Jesus in your heart

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-emotion.html

Also "beliefs" are not in the heart, that's a humungus scientific error in the quran. The heart  is simply an organ that pumps blood to other areas of the body, no conciousness or emotion is derived from a heart. All beliefs, thoughts, feelings are products of the brain. Any neuroscience book for laypersons will inform anyone on this...
     Reply #40 - August 06, 2013, 09:17 PM

24 hours or so till the end of Ramadan. The holiest hours in the holiest of days in the the holiest of months.

Didn't fast. Didn't pray. Smoked. Drank. Fapped.

Damn. Should I change my username to Jahanama-bound?

Or is all forgiven because I still profess the shahada?
     Reply #41 - August 06, 2013, 09:27 PM

Well, most people here don't believe Jahanama exists. I know it's not something I can see as any more convincing than Jack and the Beanstalk.

Reply #42 - August 06, 2013, 09:31 PM

Most people here don't believe in Ramadan either Smiley I (still) do

Lol@jack in the beanstalk. That would be a credible analogy if 1.6 billion people get on their knees and pray to Jack and His Holy Beanstalk 5 times a day, everyday, for the past 1400 years.
     Reply #43 - August 06, 2013, 09:38 PM

Honestly would you be able to tell the difference if you swapped them? There's a poison apple in Snow White, there's one in the torah/bible/quran, a talking snake, a talking wolf, living nearly 1000 years, asleep 100 years...if we switched them, would we really think any different about religion?

Reply #44 - August 06, 2013, 09:45 PM

You let the inner you go wild today son

i'm proud
     Reply #45 - August 06, 2013, 09:48 PM

That's an immature and incredibly insensitive thing to say to someone obviously going through a spiritual crisis.

Reply #46 - August 06, 2013, 09:59 PM

24 hours or so till the end of Ramadan. The holiest hours in the holiest of days in the the holiest of months.

No mention of bacon so you're still safe. If you really want a guaranteed place in Jahanam, then offer some fruit to the Lord Lakshmi, or a Wiccan God or something. Tongue
     Reply #47 - August 06, 2013, 10:03 PM

LOL@ zach and KingSaab....that was some much-needed humor.

Thanks, Quod, but it's all good-natured jokes.
     Reply #48 - August 06, 2013, 10:07 PM

Okay, well to answer your last question (that I saw upon starting this) I would have to say quite firmly, that yes, religion should not have a place in governing our sex lives. To be honest I find religious sexual guides perverse and immoral. Not every teaching, but enough to not want it anywhere near me.

• Re: Hi, I'm new and I'm lost.
     Reply #49 - August 07, 2013, 01:46 AM

You are on the right track. The purpose of life is to be happy and make others happy. Believing in some imaginary god and his imaginary prophet will not make you happy.

वासुदैव कुटुम्बकम्
    Entire World is One Family
    سارا سنسار ايک پريوار ہے
  • Re: Hi, I'm new and I'm lost.
     Reply #50 - August 07, 2013, 01:50 AM

No mention of bacon so you're still safe. If you really want a guaranteed place in Jahanam, then offer some fruit to the Lord Lakshmi, or a Wiccan God or something. Tongue

Offering some fruit to Goddess Lakshmi and feeding the same fruit to some poor person will make you both happy.

वासुदैव कुटुम्बकम्
    Entire World is One Family
    سارا سنسار ايک پريوار ہے
     Reply #51 - August 07, 2013, 09:01 AM

as long as you don't put partners beside him, ALL sins can be forgiven, including killing and raping  Afro
     Reply #52 - August 10, 2013, 04:23 PM

Hey Guys,

I'm new and really don't know how to use this, and have spent my Ramadan reading this forum everyday (probably made my fasts invalid but hey I think my belief done that anyway) and seekers intro was so familiar I had to join, just to say, I feel almost exactly the same.

I've had this thread favourited just in case someone gave you a solution lol.

I probably need to do an intro somewhere if I can figure it out... but yea seeker if we were in person I would probably be hanging off your leg and not letting go, anyone I have spoken to whether the mossy crowd or the non-mossy crowd just really don't get what is going on in my head right now, well I don't even get it so I don't know why they would. All I can say is it feels super lonely and HEELLPP ME!

"Make anyone believe their own knowledge and logic is insufficient and you'll have a puppet susceptible to manipulation."
     Reply #53 - August 10, 2013, 06:16 PM

Hey Jibbs, click on introduction and then new topic.

Reply #54 - August 24, 2013, 02:58 AM

and the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round
     Reply #55 - August 25, 2013, 03:32 AM

"When My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every supplicant when he calls on Me: Let them also, with a will, Listen to My call, and believe in Me: That they may walk in the right way. "

Surat Baqarah, verse 186.

Hope, forever hope.
     Reply #56 - August 25, 2013, 05:04 AM

"When My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every supplicant when he calls on Me: Let them also, with a will, Listen to My call, and believe in Me: That they may walk in the right way. "

Surat Baqarah, verse 186.

Hope, forever hope.

Hoping for the immanent is a bit strange, no?

A multiplicity without beginning and without end, possessing no defining subject, nor object...
     Reply #57 - August 25, 2013, 08:59 AM

do you mean imminent or imamate?

Whether believers or non-believers, hope is all we got.

Both you and I hope that our families be happy, healthy, and prosperous

Both you and I hope that we are not stricken down with a horrible disease, which may or may not be terminal

Both you and I hope for economic security and financial sanity.

And on and on.

As humans, we universally hope for hope. We hunger for hope for it is all that stands between us and crippling despondent despair.

As a believer, hanging on to the torn shreds of my faith, hope in God's mercy is my shelter, my last point of refuge when all else has failed me.

"Ask me and I shall respond", the Almighty says.

Lord, this is the asking, the humble plea, the cry for salvation, and I await your generous response.
     Reply #58 - August 25, 2013, 10:48 AM

do you mean imminent or imamate?

Neither, I meant immanent with an A. As in, existing within the mind. Not strictly solipsistic.
     Reply #59 - August 25, 2013, 10:57 AM

had to look that up, interesting word........you learn something new everyday.

• Previous page 1 23 4 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »