Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Confessions of an Ex-Muslim

(Read 2086 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Confessions of an Ex-Muslim
     OP - May 17, 2013, 04:44 PM

http://www.newstatesman.com/religion/2013/05/confessions-ex-muslim

Read the rest at the link above
    Confessions of an ex-Muslim

Over 100,000 people in Britain converted to Islam between 2001-2011, yet it is believed that up to 75 per cent may have since lost their faith. Who are they - and how do they feel about the way of life they embraced then quickly abandoned?
    By Omar Shahid Published 17 May 2013 10:33
    Learn to trade profits with a FREE eBook.

StumbleUpon
        Reddit
        Print HTML

Prayers at the Baitul Futuh Mosque in Morden, London in 2011.
    Prayers at the Baitul Futuh Mosque in Morden, London in 2011. Photograph: Getty Images.

Islam is often perceived as a religion antithetical to British, secular values. But between 2001-2011, more than 100,000 British people converted to Islam. This may come as a surprise, especially considering the virulent climate of Islamophobia supposedly pervading the country in the shadow of 9/11. Yet, while Muslims may rejoice at the news of many British people flocking to Islam, little is known about the large proportion of converts who later become apostates.

“Many converts leave the faith. We don't have exact statistics but some stats say 50 per cent will leave within a few years,” says Usama Hasan, a part-time Imam and a senior researcher at the counter extremism think-tank, the Quilliam Foundation.

The internet, in particular, Twitter, provides ex-Muslims, often with pseudonymous accounts, a safe haven to challenge, criticise and mock Islam. The Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain (CEMB), founded six years ago, was set up by a group of non-believers and acts as a community for those who have renounced their faith.

There are, of course, a multitude of reasons why someone might become an apostate after converting. Many British women convert when marrying a Muslim man, but, when the relationship ends, they sometimes leave the faith. (The same rarely happens in reverse, as the consensus of scholars believes a Muslim woman marrying a non-Muslim man is against the Sharia.) Some converts don’t receive the community support upon entering the faith. While others can be referred to as “drifters”: they experiment with different lifestyles. However, many ex-Muslims cite bad experiences with Muslims in their stories of how they came to renounce the faith.

Pepe, 39, is an ex-Muslim who was born in London but now lives in Canada with his Muslim wife and two children. He converted at 20, after discovering the religion through Sufism, the mystical dimension of Islam. He remained a fairly practising Muslim for 15 years but he often struggled with certain aspects of the faith, which he shrugged off as “satanic thoughts”.

In his early 30s he became disillusioned with the hardline views held by many Muslims and joined the Chisti Tariqah, a Sufi Order originating from Afghanistan.

He agrees to an interview over Skype from his home. “The more I got involved with the Tariqah, the more cult-like it was becoming. I had to get permission from the Sheikh [religious teacher] to do a lot of things, like if I wanted to leave town. When I questioned things, they told me to completely stop reading books and only read what they gave me,” he says.

After his Sheikh interpreted one of Pepe’s dreams to suggest that his father didn’t care about him, he became disaffected with the Tariqah and soon left the faith altogether.

“I was confused when I first left the religion but I came to the conclusion that none of it is real. I was very angry at the time,” he says.

“I would call myself an atheist but even if there is a higher power, I don’t think it affects the way I am with people. If anything, I would say I’m a more compassionate person now, because I know how people’s minds can be manipulated,” he says.

How has it affected his marriage? “When my wife married me, she married a Muslim guy, so I don’t stop her from teaching Islam to our kids,” he says. “We have a deal: I don’t eat pork or drink alcohol in the house or in front of the kids. And I can’t tell my wife’s parents that I have become an apostate because they are orthodox and would see the marriage as annulled.”

Other ex-Muslims, however, paint a slightly brighter picture of the religion. Goran Miljević, 19, from London, converted in 2010 after being kicked out of college. “Converting to Islam was somewhere I could belong, a brotherhood, somewhere you can go where you’re listened to and supported,” he says.

Miljević comes from a Serbian Christian family and when he converted, his parents were angry. “My father thought I was joking. I slept at the Mosque for a couple of nights because my parents were so upset with me. If I wasn’t so young, my parents would have kicked me out the house,” he says.

“I was really practising at one point, proper hard core. But what I realised is that you can’t be a convert and be moderate, you have to be extreme because that’s how you distinguish yourself,” he says.

However, after three months of being a Muslim and feeling the disapproval from his family, Miljević realised Islam wasn’t for him. “Even though I left the faith, I know Islam isn’t what people think. I will even correct people who think of Islam in a certain negative way. It’s a good religion but at the end of the day, religion is politics. People like bin Laden and Anjem Choudary use the religion to stir people and make them do things,” he says.

75 per cent of all British converts to Islam are women. And, according to one study in Leicester, Between Isolation and Integration, a large percentage of female converts were attracted to the faith because of the status it affords them. Many believe the religion provides them with a high spiritual status and a type of dignity our modern, secular country can’t.

But, the majority of British women who convert report feeling confused due to the conflicting ways Islam is introduced to them. “The reason why some converts leave the faith or become confused is not only because of the narrow-mindedness of many Muslims. But also because of the dominance of culture: some Muslims will insist on Pakistani, Saudi or Iranian culture and say it is Islamic,” says Usama Hasan.

It is not just converts who are leaving the faith but also Muslims born into the faith. “I've noticed certainly after 9/11 that a growing number of young Muslims in the UK have lost their faith, and many have become Christian, Buddhist, agnostic or atheist,” Hasan says.

While many apostates travel a lonely path once leaving the faith, as friends and family often marginalise them, far too many also feel the rage of Muslim extremists.

Saif Rahman is the author of The Islamist Delusion: From Islamist to Cultural, Humanist Muslim. He was born to a Muslim family of Pakistani-Indian origin but abandoned Islam around a decade ago. He now regularly criticises Islam. It comes at a wretched price: he has received almost 150 death threats in the past five years.

“9/11 was a critical moment for many ex-Muslims,” says Rahman, “We felt we could no longer relate to these people [the terrorists],” he says over the phone. 

“The death threats used to get to me but once you cross the 100 mark, it becomes a bit of a joke. Some are so ludicrous. I’m one of the biggest figureheads for the hate. But because they’re done by the net, I can be a bit more blasé about them,” he says.

Some Islamic scholars believe that apostates should be killed, especially if they go on to attack the faith, and cite as evidence a couple of Prophetic sayings in Islam. However, there is no Quranic justification for this stance and other scholars believe that killing apostates is a pre-modern tradition that no longer applies today.

Although Rahman regularly attacks Islam on Twitter, he concedes that there is much “beauty” in the religion. “I do think Islam is a bad religion but I’m not blinded to its beauty. Some of the sayings of the Prophet Muhammad leave me teary-eyed. I would even argue that the sense of family, hospitality and other ethical values are actually Islamic,” he says.

The Council of ex-Muslims recently tweeted: “The internet has made our voices louder, for the first time in history ex-Muslims can speak freely, by-passing death, fear, blasphemy [and] taboos.”

Thanks to all those who participated  far away hug
    For Pepe  Just do it

Someone at http://www.facebook.com/groups/BMSDOfficial/?hc_location=stream does not seem to like it, but thanks for posting, I would not have seen this  grin12

Put it in the Appreciation section cause I appreciated the involvement of some of our fellow infidels Tongue

If it has to move, feel free to move it mods.
     Reply #1 - May 17, 2013, 04:50 PM

I will respond to this article properly. I feel that bits were picked out of the interview based on the authors bias.

-------------------
    Believe in yourself
    -------------------
    Strike me down and I'll just become another nail in your coffin
    -------------------
    There's such a thing as sheep in wolfs clothing... religious fanatics
     Reply #2 - May 17, 2013, 05:07 PM

^

If I may ask what attracted you to Islam in the first place ? 

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #3 - May 17, 2013, 05:41 PM

Thanks Dr. I had no idea that my friend Saif had a book. I'll have to check that out and help him with his spelling  Smiley

Hi
     Reply #4 - May 17, 2013, 05:58 PM

^

If I may ask what attracted you to Islam in the first place ? 

It was the personalities of Sufis such as Sheikh Farid, Bullehshah and Rumi. I wanted to explore the source of their faith. I came into Islam with the belief that shariah was like the shell and the spiritual aspect was the inside of the egg. Both needed each other in my eyes back then. The deeper I got into Islam and the Sufi path the more I realised how incompatible they were and the more I learnt the less I could bring myself to accept. It's not Muslims who drew me away from Islam it was Islam that drew me away from Islam. I couldn't bring myself to ignore or excuse the horrendous parts of it any more. Being part of the Sufi group also made me realise how Islam itself had a cult like origin. I saw Islam reflected in its cult like nature through the Sufi tariqa I was in. I told all this to the author but it seems to have been edited out.

-------------------
    Believe in yourself
    -------------------
    Strike me down and I'll just become another nail in your coffin
    -------------------
    There's such a thing as sheep in wolfs clothing... religious fanatics
     Reply #5 - May 17, 2013, 06:12 PM

A lot of focus on ex muslims who were converts though, I can almost hear the muslim rebuttal in my head.  Obviously not Saif, but the majority of the story talks mostly about ex muslim converts.  :/

Also, was soooo cool reading an article that named people I know.  Grin

Afro

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #6 - May 17, 2013, 06:25 PM

Also, was soooo cool reading an article that named people I know. grin12

^That
     Reply #7 - May 17, 2013, 09:30 PM

"Usama Hasan, however, is hopeful for the future of Islam, despite the threat of ex-Muslims. “On a positive note, I have come across Muslims who have lost their faith but regained it after they have come across different interpretations, deeper, wider and more generous of the Quran and Prophetic traditions which accord well with the modern world,” he says. “It’s up to the people of knowledge to dig those interpretations out. And once they provide those insights people are attracted back to the faith because faith is something beautiful. God is beautiful and He is loving and merciful and waiting to be discovered and known,” he adds."

You know, I won't endorse this attitude when I'm ridiculously inebriated but I don't have a problem with people seeking life affirmation in spirituality (notwithstanding the fact that I believe that it is life-negating), but there is a previso that you discard everything you learn re: intrinsic contradictions and dialectics of religion. This is my issue with the education system in the west, it breeds consumerism at a very young age with no scope for independent thought. I've supported the aforementioned education system in the past as I believe that it is better than the general privation of sagaciousness in the East, but I'm not so sure anymore — people are introduced to Hegel, Marx, Adorno, Foucault et al at university, for christ's sake! Not that Gove's linear ideology will permit for the honing of critical faculties when it is predicated on rote memorisation.

I despair...
     Reply #8 - May 17, 2013, 09:33 PM

Why can't I edit my posts? Inadvertently made a spelling error, or two...
     Reply #9 - May 17, 2013, 09:36 PM

agreed.. so much focus on converts, ,
    .. and i'm left with the feeling that converts have converted for the wrong reasons, and leave because of the actions of other muslims and not the religion (which i know is not only the case)

loved seeing your name in there pepe, thought  you and saif did great
     Reply #10 - May 17, 2013, 09:49 PM

Why can't I edit my posts? Inadvertently made a spelling error, or two...

You can't edit your post because your post is very good as it is. Once you exceed a predetermined threshold of 'good stuff' within a post, you automatically become ineligible for editing. I can always edit my posts  Cry

Hi
     Reply #11 - May 18, 2013, 12:05 AM

The author has put some spin on it. But its a start. The more we can get the narrative of ex-Muslims out there, no matter if its skewed, the better.

Wouldn't it be good if every time the media does a puff piece about converts to Islam it is counterbalanced with the awkward facts of the apostasy laws and what Islam teaches about ex-Muslims & the experiences of ex-Muslims. That is why we should work on awareness. Getting stories out there. Breaking the silence.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »