Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Boston marathon bombing

(Read 31366 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 10 11 1213 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Boston marathon bombing
     Reply #330 - April 22, 2014, 03:43 PM

What kind of mechanical engineer is this guy!?

The worst!!  Cry
     Reply #331 - April 22, 2014, 03:50 PM

It's horrible to see in pictures that people actually lost limbs and lives. Just hearing about it gives us a chance to detach ourselves from it. But seeing it with your own eyes is a different thing  Cry

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #332 - April 22, 2014, 03:59 PM

Seeing people die is quite harrowing, especially when they don't die immediately and you can almost feel their fear.

The worst!!  Cry

With all those tear emoticons, I sure hope your happier than you seem.
     Reply #333 - April 22, 2014, 08:31 PM

Happier, yes; I swear he has other good qualities! It's just that the bad ones are so stupid and unnecessary.  wacko
     Reply #334 - April 23, 2014, 05:41 AM

I hope none of them adhere to the Moon landing hoax. That one really hits a nerve for me since it is one the greatest accomplishments of humanity. 

Pretty much everyone at Islamic school took it for granted that the moon landings were staged on a film set somewhere and then there's the illuminati that everyone believes in wacko
     Reply #335 - April 23, 2014, 05:51 AM

Why? I don't get it why someone would think that?

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #336 - April 23, 2014, 05:54 AM

To discredit science, is my guess.
     Reply #337 - April 23, 2014, 06:00 AM

^Nah, more like to discredit Amreeka. I think it's the manifestation of an inferiority complex.
     Reply #338 - April 23, 2014, 10:09 AM

^You pretty much it the nail on the head. It's also why I think you end up with this modern apologetic talk about science and the Quran and science in medieval Middle-East. They want to believe every major discovery had already been discovered by the Quran, the Prophet, or other Muslims.
     Reply #339 - April 23, 2014, 10:26 AM

Reading about the moon landing hoax, arguments behind it and NASA's and scientists explenation to it, it seems as you have to be one of those illuminati conspiracy nutters for any of that to sound "legit" Cheesy

Reply #340 - April 23, 2014, 10:44 AM

Well, luckily, a lot of conspiracy theorists also do believe in the Illuminati. Grin

I've asked my husband to explain exactly why he thinks it is a hoax, and his arguments more or less boil down to he don't even know how a human can make a fancy rocket ship that could reach that there moon up in yonder sky.

Also, like all of the nonsense he believes, something full of error that was shared like a virus between ill-informed people on social media probably had a hand in it. That's mostly why he thinks 9/11 was an inside job.
     Reply #341 - April 23, 2014, 10:52 AM

Lua you live in New York right? Take your husband to the American Museum of Natural History where they have 4 moon rocks collected from the Apollo Missions, all weighing several kilograms.
     Reply #342 - April 23, 2014, 10:58 AM

May as well live in New York. CT is like New York's backyard. I actually would really like to do that sometime, but unless he saw someone pick those rocks off the moon from a telescope on Earth and bring them back home, I think he'll question the authenticity of them.  wacko

Maybe it'd be better to take someone who would appreciate it with me. Grin
     Reply #343 - April 23, 2014, 11:14 AM

They have properties that identify them as from the Moon, most notably their chemical composition...

I always wanted to go to the American Museum Of Natural History, to bad America is so far away.
     Reply #344 - April 23, 2014, 11:17 AM

I went once when I was a kid on a field trip, but I can't remember anything about it now. I guess this might be a good thing to do one afternoon in the summer.  Thank you sign

As for the chemical composition, you are definitely underestimating some people's ability to distrust scientists...
     Reply #345 - April 23, 2014, 11:22 AM

Museums are pretty great places to see the achievements of humanity. Fortunately, I'll still get to see the British Museum and all the other ones in London.

I don't understand. How can a scientist (applied science) distrust science? It would be like the Grand Mufti being an atheist.
     Reply #346 - April 23, 2014, 11:25 AM

As for the chemical composition, you are definitely underestimating some people's ability to distrust scientists...

Well  leave the guy alone.   As long as he understands gravity and doesn't jump  from a clip and break his legs,  give troubles to you, and gives you space to be an independent woman to carry on your own interests and be a decent person that supports the family, .. and.. and you guys love each other irrespective of your beliefs  you should leave him alone lua

so many "ands"  there.........

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #347 - April 23, 2014, 11:30 AM

Well  leave the guy alone.   As long as he understands gravity and doesn't jump  from a clip and break his legs,  give troubles to you, and gives you space to be an independent woman to carry on your own interests and be a decent person that supports the family, .. and.. and you guys love each other irrespective of your beliefs  you should leave him alone lua

so many "ands"  there.........

I do give him a hard time, that's true. But I can't always solve his problems for him! Grin

Anyway, in all fairness, if you talked to him, he would make fun of me the same way for believing in things that are obviously nonsense, like the moon landing and evolution.  Roll Eyes
     Reply #348 - April 23, 2014, 11:31 AM

.........How can a scientist (applied science) distrust science?.........

because  many  of them are NOT scientists, they just have college given degrees..

Reply #349 - April 23, 2014, 11:47 AM

because  many  of them are NOT scientists, they just have college given degrees..

That is true, Descent...A few of my husband's friends are also in the science field (one is a biologist going into medical school, and still a Muslim who believes in the creation narrative?). They seem to prefer to memorize and regurgitate than to actually believe what they learn and problem solve with it. It's all regarded as optional.
     Reply #350 - April 23, 2014, 11:57 AM

I suppose the fault is in part with the education system. It's just a shame. What's the point of studying biology if you reject one of the underlying principles of biology. It all feels like a pointless waste of time.
     Reply #351 - April 23, 2014, 11:57 AM

.....................A few of my husband's friends are also in the science field (one is a biologist going into medical school, and still a Muslim who believes in the creation narrative?). They seem to prefer to memorize and regurgitate than to actually believe what they learn and problem solve with it. It's all regarded as optional...........'

That is a MENTAL DISEASE., it is called "Cognitive dissonance " and many people have it. When it comes religion,  Islam followers dominate the crowd that have this mental/psychological  disorder because inherent brain  wash they go through from family  and the society around them..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP8uwHDpwys

The problem is not people having that psychological  disorder  but when  they try to enforce that on society with some STUPID RULES AND RITUALS using politics,   then we have serious problem in the society

Reply #352 - April 23, 2014, 12:07 PM

I suppose the fault is in part with the education system. It's just a shame. What's the point of studying biology if you reject one of the underlying principles of biology. It all feels like a pointless waste of time.

This is especially a shame to me in the developing world, where they would really benefit from competent doctors and scientists. For all of KSA's money and educational opportunities afforded to the citizens, they are still not making any advancements. And those Saudis who actually are fantastic in their field and accept the principles often find no support or appreciation from them in their country, and elect to work and live abroad. I've known two different Saudi scientists who wound up in England with their families because KSA just wasn't receptive.

Totally rejecting reality is something I can be fine with in small doses, but it's much harder when it's a large swath of people, or, you know, the guy you're married to.

I guess at a certain point this is where I have to respectfully disagree with you, Yeezevee. He and I do make fun of each other quite a bit, but I don't know how virtuous it is to ignore willful blindness in a relationship just because he fills traditional roles elsewhere. He has this idea that everyone should just get to believe what they want to believe, and that sounds really cool in principle...But then that's how people like him justify going all the steps further, and believing some truly evil stuff and plain falsehoods that make humanity all the worse for it. And then teaching it to their children.  wacko
     Reply #353 - April 23, 2014, 12:21 PM

And those Saudis who actually are fantastic in their field and accept the principles often find no support or appreciation from them in their country

The greatest Pakistani physicist to ever live, Abdus Salam, was considered a traitor by many of his country men. I think yeezevee can correct if I'm wrong but he's considered a kaffir (since he was Ahmedi).

You husband sounds like a nice, honest guy but has misunderstood a couple of things. This is why, in my opinion, also have to disagree with yeezevee and I think you should continue working on him, especially if you plan on having children.
     Reply #354 - April 23, 2014, 12:33 PM

.......... yeezevee can correct if I'm wrong but he's considered a kaffir (since he was Ahmedi).

well  you are not wrong Descent., but that happens to many Muslim folks., Each Islamic sect leader says other sect guys are not true Muslims.. this is not new in Islam,

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=12896.msg536198#msg536198

You husband sounds like a nice, honest guy but has misunderstood a couple of things......... This is why, in my opinion, also have to disagree with yeezevee

what I did I say about him Descent ?

I just told lua ., tell her husband to believe in gravity and not to jump from a cliff & break his legs with some blind Islamic belief  such as  

night traveling on some horsie..

Reply #355 - April 23, 2014, 12:35 PM

The greatest Pakistani physicist to ever live, Abdus Salam, was considered a traitor by many of his country men. I think yeezevee can correct if I'm wrong but he's considered a kaffir (since he was Ahmedi).

You husband sounds like a nice, honest guy but has misunderstood a couple of things. This is why, in my opinion, also have to disagree with yeezevee and I think you should continue working on him, especially if you plan on having children.

I think a great deal of the problem is that, aside from me, he gets nothing but reinforcement elsewhere (family, friends, the silly things he reads on the internet, etc). If it weren't for that, I think he might have started to learn a bit more, because he's far more open-minded than many of the other people that were raised like him...

It's tough. If he gets even the vaguest feeling that you're trying to teach him something, he purposefully goes on mental lockdown. But I will try, Descent, thank you.  yes I don't want the next guy being made fun of for his intellectual dishonesty by ex-Muslims in 20+ years to be my son. I'll try to spare you guys.
     Reply #356 - April 23, 2014, 12:37 PM

well  you are not wrong Descent., but that happens to many Muslim folks., Each Islamic sect leader says other sect guys not true Muslims.. this is not new in Islam,

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=12896.msg536198#msg536198
    what I did I say about him Descent ?

I just told lua ., tell her husband to believe in gravity anot to jump from a cliff and break his legs with some blind Islamic belief  such as 

night traveling on some horsie..

Grin He meant the leave him alone part.
     Reply #357 - April 23, 2014, 12:39 PM

..........., Yeezevee. He and I do make fun of each other quite a bit, but I don't know how virtuous it is to ignore willful blindness in a relationship just because he fills traditional roles elsewhere. He has this idea that everyone should just get to believe what they want to believe, and that sounds really cool in principle...............

.But then that's how people like him justify going all the steps further, and believing some truly evil stuff and plain falsehoods that make humanity all the worse for it. And then teaching it to their children.  wacko

That is what I call it as crossing line  and that is where you got to learn to put YOUR FOOT DOWN lua

And to put your foot down., you have to be independent.. specially financially independent.  Off course one must also also be emotionally independent.

Reply #358 - April 23, 2014, 12:43 PM

^ If I only stop him when he's going too far, it feels like I'm always trying to get rid of a weed by snipping it instead of uprooting it.  wacko

I know his outright refusal to accept things like the moon landing and evolution and 9/11 are symptoms of the larger problems. It's hard to let those go, but still expect him to be able to be convinced down the line to abandon only certain delusions that cause extreme harm.
     Reply #359 - April 23, 2014, 12:58 PM

...are symptoms of the larger problems

A disease that currently affect 1.5 billion people. I forgot the name.  Wink

Do you two ever planning on moving to a different region in the country? Maybe that way he can get away from his relatives.
  • Previous page 1 ... 10 11 1213 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »