Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 11, 2024, 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Sexual segregation at UCL event is a scandal

(Read 17244 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Sexual segregation at UCL event is a scandal
     Reply #60 - August 03, 2013, 05:39 PM

Have to disagree with you on the last part. I've said it before, I'll say it again. So much of these problems are BECAUSE of segregation. If men and women grow up together, they see each other as people. Yes sexual assault happens but it's to such a lesser extent, and the reactions of people are completely different from what I've read and been told. You cannot grow up around the opposite sex, have close relationships as a norm and not see each other as human beings first. Yes there's sometimes attraction, romance, but it doesn't negate this. Not being taught to be uncomfortable or afraid or that you shouldn't form healthy relationships is the way to go.

If I grew up in a sexuality repressed culture, if I never had best friends who happened to be female, if I never freely mixed and got to know people just as people, I'd probably have a very different outlook, and not one I'd want.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #61 - August 03, 2013, 07:02 PM

I'm not sure I agree. Even in societies where segregation is the norm total segregation is impossible. Boys and men still come into contact with women- their mothers, their sisters, their relatives so they are still growing up around females enough to be able to be form relationships based on love and respect.
    Relatives/family aside I also think boys and girls, men and women still always find a way to come into contact with each other even in strictly segregated environments- they just do it in secret. Complete segregation is unworkable as it is one of the most natural things in the world for males and females to get together.
    I think there is a lot more to it than just segregation.

When truth is hurled against falsehood, falsehood perishes, for falsehood by its nature is bound to perish.
     Reply #62 - August 03, 2013, 07:14 PM

Wow, this thread's still going!
     Reply #63 - August 09, 2013, 08:00 AM

I'm not sure I agree. Even in societies where segregation is the norm total segregation is impossible. Boys and men still come into contact with women- their mothers, their sisters, their relatives so they are still growing up around females enough to be able to be form relationships based on love and respect.
    Relatives/family aside I also think boys and girls, men and women still always find a way to come into contact with each other even in strictly segregated environments- they just do it in secret. Complete segregation is unworkable as it is one of the most natural things in the world for males and females to get together.
    I think there is a lot more to it than just segregation.

Agreed.
     Reply #64 - August 09, 2013, 08:12 AM

I couldn't disagree more. Gender segregation is one of the cornerstones of abuses against women in Islam.

Hardly. I personally think a suffocating dress code and the idea that we're spiritually and intellectually inferior is much more problematic than being denied the right to sit side by side with strangers of the opposite sex. 
     Reply #65 - August 09, 2013, 08:18 AM

"one of the cornerstones of abuses against women in Islam"

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #66 - November 21, 2013, 11:33 AM

UCL

Reply #67 - November 21, 2013, 02:00 PM

Are the chickens sexually segregated?

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #68 - November 21, 2013, 02:02 PM

didn't think it was worth own thread. something to do with UCL will do
     Reply #69 - November 21, 2013, 04:51 PM

Are the chickens sexually segregated?

Cheesy
     Reply #70 - November 21, 2013, 06:50 PM

So what are the options for someone who doesn't want food blessed in the name of a foreign god?

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #71 - November 21, 2013, 06:57 PM

Yeah, what about us who are allergic to magic spells?

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #72 - November 21, 2013, 07:32 PM

Or who want to give our money to people who slaughter in a humane manner rather than slitting an animals throat and watching it thrash around upsidedown as it bleeds to death?

Reply #73 - November 21, 2013, 11:05 PM

Go the pork roll. It's guaranteed to not be halal. Smiley

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #74 - December 05, 2013, 04:35 AM

Owing to the recent controversy surrounding Universities UK's advocation of gender segregation for faith-based (and islamic, in particular) speeches, I thought it prudent to share this statement from ULU regarding last night's Senate House Occupation.

A STATEMENT FROM THE UNION OFFICERS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF LONDON UNION

Today, over a hundred students occupied the management office of Senate House at the University of London. It was one of the biggest and most widely supported protests that the student movement in London has seen in years. The protests demands centred around the campaign for sick pay, holiday pay and pensions for outsourced workers – 3Cosas – and the threats to close down ULU, the university’s student union. It was also inspired by a wave of occupations and strikes for fair pay in HE, and raised a number of issues around the price of accommodation and the privatisation of student debt. For the full occupation statement, click here: http://anticuts.com/2013/12/04/students-occupy-university-of-london-senate-house/

This evening, the University of London colluded once again with police to evict occupiers, in a violent attempt to harass and silence dissent on campus. Their actions are a disgrace, and show their disregard for both the welfare of their students and their own university community.

Hundreds of police descended on the occupation at around 8.30pm and broke into the occupation. We are still investigating what happened inside, but initial reports indicate that protesters were assaulted by both police and security: thrown to the ground, kicked and punched, and dragged to the ground by their hair. When supporters gathered outside to show support for the occupation, they were beaten back and assaulted. A number of arrests were made, and protesters are demonstrating tonight outside Holborn police station.

Occupations are a legitimate form of dissent. When our university exploits our staff, shuts down our student union, and are utterly unaccountable to the students and staff that give it life and make it function, students have no choice but to gain leverage in whatever way they can.

Tonight’s events constitute a significant escalation of the dispute on campuses. At Sussex University, five students have been suspended by their university management for taking part in similar action. We send them our solidarity: sign the petition to defend them by clicking here: http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/professor-michael-farthing-vice-chancellor-of-sussex-university-to-immediately-retract-the-suspension-of-five-sussex-students-which-began-on-the-4th-december

The terms of our dispute are clear. On one side is a university management that is attacking its staff, shutting down student representation, and that systematically colludes with police in order to keep control of its affairs. On the other is an increasingly united campaign of the academic community – in all its forms – committed to reclaiming our university. We are clear which side of the line we fall on.

Anyone who thinks that what happened tonight was reasonable is not fit to run a university.

People permitting themselves to get sidelined and insert these faith-cum-bourgeois paradigms into the university discourse should be fucking ashamed of themselves. Correlation between Wahabism and collectively individuated capitalistic superstructure, perhaps, tightly held together by asabiyya.

I'm still looking for an islamic comrade who didn't shoot him/herself after 1979. Cuddles, full communism and hippies as an alternative to stoic leftism?

Maybe then I will be able to comprehend...
     Reply #75 - December 13, 2013, 03:09 PM

"Universities UK withdraws advice on gender segregation in lectures
    Body that represents higher education institutions says it is reviewing guidance after criticism from PM"

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/dec/13/universities-uk-withdraws-advice-gender-segregation?CMP=twt_gu
     Reply #76 - December 13, 2013, 03:38 PM

I posted that on the other uni segregation thread. Smiley

• Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »