Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Syria

(Read 42857 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 3 4 56 7 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Syria
     Reply #120 - September 02, 2015, 01:20 PM

It seems like Sweden has decided to give all Syrians already there and future arrivals permanent stay by default because the war seems to have no end?

Article in Swedish:

Alla syrier får permanent uppehållstillstånd

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Syria
     Reply #121 - September 02, 2015, 01:29 PM

It seems like Sweden has decided to give all Syrians already there and future arrivals permanent stay by default because the war seems to have no end?

Article in Swedish:

Alla syrier får permanent uppehållstillstånd

Worth watching worth reading ..http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34118978 ....and worth thinking....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et_Y5NMqT9g

One migrant's 2,000-mile journey - 

FUCKING LIFE FUCKING GOD..FUCKING ALLAH...   what is the point of fucking praying??

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Syria
     Reply #122 - September 02, 2015, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the links, Yeez Smiley

Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Syria
     Reply #123 - September 02, 2015, 02:47 PM

Meh. Forgot to check the date on the article. It is from 2013 Roll Eyes

• Syria
     Reply #124 - September 02, 2015, 03:04 PM

It kind of shows how little has been achieved over the last two years.
  • Syria
     Reply #125 - September 02, 2015, 03:44 PM

Yes... And it has only gotten worse.

A Danish journalist has written this article - Google translated.

It is from yesterday.

DR in Jordan: Desperation is greater than ever
    By Maya Nissen

The refugee camps in Jordan stretches as far as the eye can see. In tents and barracks occupy more than 600,000 displaced people - men, women and children.
    And the many Syrian refugees who over the last four years have fled the bloody conflict in their home country, is in a more desperate situation today than ever before.
    It says Steen Nørskov, the host at P1 and P1 Orientation program 'Arab Voices' from Jordan.

- A year ago, half of the Syrian refugees feed themselves and their children. Today, according to the UN, only one in 10, he says to P1 Morgen.

UN has run out of money
    At the same time comes the announcement by the UN that a quarter of a million refugees in Jordan in recent days have been told that the UN no longer have the money to help them.
    UN food program World Food Programme stops help in the area with effect from today.

- It puts them in a completely desperate situation. Many of them have been here for two years, some of them have been have anymore. They used what they had with the savings they have sold what they had of values. And they have in the two years not been able to work because they can not work in Jordan, says Steen Nørskov.
    - Therefore, almost all Syrians here rely on the help that the international community can send them through the UN or other international organizations.

Sell ​​themselves to survive
    The desperate situation presses the many Syrian refugees out in similar desperate situations.

Some resort to illegal work and prostitution to feed their families, says Sten Nørskov.
    - There are even Syrians who take their children out of school and send them out into the streets to work. Those who are most desperate seller simply their children into prostitution. Some let their young girls married off - down to 13-14 years of age, says Steen Nørskov.

Europe or back to the ruins
    The lack of the most basic relief - namely the UN food aid - will, according to the United Nations get a portion of the refugees to pull up stakes and join the refugees seeking to reach Europe. Others will look back to the war-torn Syria and try to create a life in ruins.

But it will not be an option for the most vulnerable refugees, says Steen Nørskov.

- Some of the families that I have met, and responsible for the most vulnerable, says that they have not even considered. They simply do not know how to get from Jordan and out of the escape route that leads many hundreds of thousands fleeing to Europe in recent months and weeks, he says.

Jordan reaches the limit
    In Jordan, for since the war began opening schools for Syrian children, shared the country's scarce water resources with the refugees and, until recently, offered free medical care and hospitalization in the country's hospitals for wounded and sick refugees.
    But now Jordan, who are poorer than both Turkey and Lebanon, which have taken most of the other refugees, also reaching its limit, says Steen Nørskov.

- Jordanians have shared everything they possibly could have. But now they can not, he says

Help is not to see
    Compared to how much European politicians, including the Danish, talking about the need for help in the immediate area, so help is to overlook when moving around in the area, says Steen Nørskov.
    - To the extent that comes through, then it is far too little. So the help we talk so much about giving in the immediate area, it fails to roughly. It will in any event not to the extent that is necessary.

Denmark's new right-wing government has just revoked previous approved citizenship applications (so they have to re-apply with new, tougher rules, despite them having been vetted earlier), lowered the aid to refugees to about half (and it wasn't particular generous before) and refuses to take any responsibility and keeps on saying that we should help in the surrounding countries. So they also just cut 2.6 Billion DKK in foreign aid.

• Syria
     Reply #126 - September 02, 2015, 06:44 PM

Well no wonder they do not let Syrians apply for visas from Syria. If they did they could possibly triple their population very quickly. Pop. of Sweden = 9 million, Syria = 22 million.
  • Syria
     Reply #127 - September 04, 2015, 02:42 PM

David Cameron: UK to accept 'thousands' more Syrian refugees  says BBC News

The UK is to provide resettlement to "thousands" more Syrian refugees in response to the worsening humanitarian crisis, David Cameron has announced. No figure has been decided but the prime minister said the extra refugees would come from camps bordering Syria, not from among those already in Europe.

Britain, he said, would act with "head and heart" to help those most in need. He also announced a further £100m in humanitarian aid for those in camps in Syria, Turkey, Jordan and the Lebanon. Earlier this week, Mr Cameron said accepting more people was not the simple answer to the situation, described by some as the worst humanitarian crisis since World War Two.

But speaking in Lisbon after talks with his Portuguese counterpart, Mr Cameron said the UK had a "moral responsibility" to help those displaced by the four-year conflict in Syria and more details would follow next week following discussions with organisations working in the region. 'Deeply moved'

Calls for the UK to take in more refugees have intensified after the publication of a picture of the body of a drowned three-year-old Syrian boy, Alan Kurdi, washed up a Turkish beach. Speaking to the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme, the boy's aunt, Tima Kurdi, said his and his brother's death should be "a wake-up call for the whole world".

The government's approach to the crisis has continued to come under pressure from public and political figures, including: Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has written to Mr Cameron calling for the UK to accept more refugees and said Scotland would take in 1,000 "as a starting point"

Ex Lib Dem leader Lord Ashdown said the PM's response had been "shameful"
    Bristol's mayor urged residents of the city to use their spare rooms to help
    Former Conservative Defence Secretary Liam Fox called for a safe zone in Syria to help those in fear of persecution A petition calling on the UK to accept more refugees has got more than three times the 100,000 signatures needed for it to be eligible for a possible debate in Parliament............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krqGCucL_ZI

well what Can I say??.... IF YOU REALLY KEEP YOUR WORDS.....

Thank you.. Thank you David.. Thank you Mr. Cameron from bottom of my heart.....

• Syria
     Reply #128 - September 08, 2015, 04:29 PM

Iceland's Citizens Pressure Government To Take More Syrian Refugees  says news

Iceland recently announced it has a refugee acceptance cap of just 50 people. In response to this number, a prominent Icelandic author, Bryndis Bjorgvinsdottir, posted an open letter on Facebook titled "Syria is calling," and encouraged concerned Icelanders to use the page to communicate with welfare minister Eygló Harðar.

More than 12,000 have responded so far, with many offering to take in Syrian refugees. “I’m happy to look after children, take them to kindergarten, school and wherever they need,"one post, translated by the Iceland Review, reads. "I can cook for people and show them friendship and warmth. I can pay the airfare for one small family. I can contribute with my expertise and assist pregnant women with pre-natal care.”

Icelandic Prime Minister Sigmundur Davíð Gunnlaugsson said he may appoint a special committee to look into how the country can respond to the mounting public pressure, the Guardian reported.

“It has been our goal in international politics to be of help in as many areas as possible and this is one of the areas where the need is most right now," he told Icelandic outlet RÚV.

The outpouring of support in Iceland is the latest public expression in Europe of solidarity with migrants, who have fled from parts of war-torn Africa and the Middle East. Last week,German soccer fans held up banners to welcome the more than 800,000 refugees expected in the country this year.

people  please realize that American iconic computer guy  Steve Jobs was son of Syrian immigrant.. Few of those kids could be Steve Jobs of your nation in 10 years down the road..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKX-_3JTEo

• Syria
     Reply #129 - September 16, 2015, 01:12 PM

A  11-year-old Syrian refuge girl,   just arrived in the UK  describes   life in a refugee camp

Manar moved to Britain just three weeks ago, when her family was relocated to Bradford in West Yorkshire, from a camp in Lebanon.

Her mum, Mariam, decided that Manar and her four sisters had no choice but to leave Syria after their neighbour's house was destroyed by a falling plane as war and fighting in the country got worse and worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtjBLOq53gc

• Syria
     Reply #130 - September 16, 2015, 04:50 PM

New proposals for a no fly zone: http://www.sunnation.co.uk/plan-to-create-no-fly-zone-in-syria-to-halt-refugee-exodus/
  • Syria
     Reply #131 - September 29, 2015, 03:26 PM

On iplayer now

A Syrian Love Story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06f146k/storyville-20142015-28-a-syrian-love-story
    Storyville - A Syrian Love Story

Award-winning documentary film by renowned filmmaker Sean McAllister, telling the poignant story of a family torn apart by the Assad regime.

When Sean begins filming them in Syria in 2009, prior to the wave of revolutions in the Arab world, Raghda is incarcerated as a political prisoner and Amer is caring for their young boys alone. Raghda is eventually released from prison, but the family is forced to flee the country following the arrest of Sean McAllister himself. In exile, Raghda battles between being a mother or a revolutionary.

Filmed over five years, this is an intimate and deeply moving portrait of a family trying to survive in exile - adapting to their new home, but missing their homeland. For Raghda and Amer, it is a journey of hope, dreams and despair: for the revolution, their homeland and each other.

• Syria
     Reply #132 - October 08, 2015, 01:15 PM

Carne Ross - The Kurds' democratic experiment: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/opinion/the-kurds-democratic-experiment.html
  • Syria
     Reply #133 - October 10, 2015, 10:01 PM

The hypocrisy of 'anti-imperialist' support for Russian intervention: https://notanetwork2015.wordpress.com/2015/10/06/the-hypocrisy-of-anti-imperialist-support-of-russian-intervention-in-syria/
  • Syria
     Reply #134 - October 10, 2015, 10:15 PM

^ Indeed!

Seriously I can't fathom the amount of Putinist fan-boy-ism I've been seeing the last week from people who should be my left-wing allies!!!

They don't get that Putin, Iran, Hizbollah are all right-wing misogynist anti-LGBT, anti-democracy regressive forces but instead see them as "anti-imperialists" and they can literally get away with genocide just because they 'stand up to "the West"'.

And people who identify as "Muslim" love him for the same reasons totally ignoring how he leveled Grozny to the ground killing perhaps 50,000 there 1999-2000 and pressuring the Crimean Tatars to flee yet again when his army invaded and annexed Crimea in violation of the Russia-Ukrainian treaty.

But he is the strong man who "can take on the US and Israel" (despite Russia and Israel having about a gazillion common projects and very large shared economic interests) so he is the good guy in the battle against 'western imperialism'.

• Syria
     Reply #135 - October 10, 2015, 10:30 PM

^Along the same lines:

Anti-Imperialism 2.0: Selective Sympathies, Dubious Friends: http://pulsemedia.org/2015/10/06/anti-imperialism-2-0-selective-sympathies-and-dubious-alliances/
  • Syria
     Reply #136 - October 14, 2015, 06:45 PM

Amnesty International report on abuses by Kurdish forces: https://www.amnesty.org/en/documents/mde24/2503/2015/en/
    Civilians living in areas of northern Syria under the de facto control of the Autonomous Administration led by the Partiya Yekîtiya Demokrat (Democratic Union Party, PYD) are being subjected to serious abuses that include forced displacement and home demolitions. The Autonomous Administration has failed to provide civilians with compensation for their losses or alternative housing. Many of the civilians who have lost their homes and properties have nowhere else to go. While some have sought refuge in southern Turkey, others are displaced in Syria at times living in schools, camps, or with relatives. This report documents the deliberate demolition of civilian homes and the forced displacement of civilians, and in some instances entire villages, by the Autonomous Administration, in particular its police and military wings. While the Autonomous Administration has claimed that its forced displacement of civilians was not arbitrary because it was necessary on military grounds or for the security or protection of local residents, this report documents cases in which there was no such justification. Amnesty International considers that these instances of forced displacement, demolitions and confiscation of civilian property constitute war crimes.

But see also this comment on urban75: http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/turkey-isis-kurds-and-syria.336931/page-11#post-14158626t
    Quote from: butchersapron
    Some very quick notes (so not to be taken as anything other than that) whilst reading the report - note, this isn't a defence or justification of all of the actions which i don't doubt took place and are probably to be expected in this situation i'm afraid:

1) Report starts by noting the actions they're complaining about were not general but targeted, and targeted at suspected ISIS members/helpers/stay behinds etc

2) The notes that this is legal if "for their own security or for imperative military reasons."

3) Amnesty said they found instances where this was not the case. The YPG said they were. I wonder whose more likely to be the best judge of what is militarily or security required at that time in that place - the amnesty letter writers or the people engaged in a years long fight with ISIS who had been based in these towns in the previous period and who have a long and proven track record of both booby-trapping houses and buildings and leaving stay-behind suicide attackers? And these remember are among the villages where ISIS were helped to kick out the kurds by many locals in the previous years 2013-14.

4) Tiny number of people interviewed

5) Complete co-operation and access given by YPG etc

6) Use of satellite imagery to show claimed YPG destruction - very shoddy. For example, take satellite footage from june 2014 and compares with june 2015 (the date YPG took the village). The comparison should be with may 2015. Otherwise you are ignoring any destruction that ISIS (far more well known for doing this sort of thing) may have carried out in their near control of the village during 99% of the period. The report then goes on to explicitly place the entirety of the destruction on the YPG. Same shoddy work on other examples.

7) Abundant evidence throughout report that ISIS really were still hiding in these villages - see the numerous suicide attacks, car-bombs and surprise attacks mentioned by the reports key witnesses but passed over by the amnesty interviews/report authors. Actually pass over doesn't out it strongly enough since they concluded the YPG didn't face security questions etc

8  Report confuses residents asked/told to leave for periods then returning when village or town was cleared of ISIS and boob-traps with them being expelled full stop - and then it ignores the residents later return i.e it does the same shoddy date cut offs as on the satellite work. And it doesn't bother to incorporate either what happened when the villagers return , taking one of their key examples of suluk, where when residents were allowed to return many were killed by undiscovered booby traps and bombs (it doesn't bother to do the prior work of explaining the bombs were at least partly intended to stop residents returning either).

I haven't read through the report yet and so haven't come to any conclusion myself.
  • Syria
     Reply #137 - October 14, 2015, 07:19 PM

Open letter to Amnesty from UK YPG volunteer: http://kurdishquestion.com/index.php/kurdistan/west-kurdistan/open-letter-to-amnesty-from-uk-ypg-volunteer/1173-open-letter-to-amnesty-from-uk-ypg-volunteer.html

Again, I haven't come to any conclusions about this.
  • Syria
     Reply #138 - October 15, 2015, 01:14 AM

In my experience most Kurdish parties stick to the letter of the law. If their reputation is tarnished they have much to lose, locally and internationally. I remember that many Kurds were angry about the KDP and the PUK combining for elections a few years back, as it destroyed the party diversity in Iraqi Kurdistan and essentially ushered in a dynasty. The last thing people wanted after becoming free from a dictatorship was to be saddled with another.  I was shocked at the Amnesty report. I hope it is baseless, for the sake of the local people.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Syria
     Reply #139 - October 15, 2015, 11:48 AM

There's a response of sorts here from a YPG commander: http://civiroglu.net/2015/10/15/ypg-general-commander-hemo-on-syrian-democratic-force-us-weapons-amnesty-report/
  • Syria
     Reply #140 - October 15, 2015, 11:31 PM

Interview: Gilbert Achcar on the Russian military operation in Syria: http://www.criticatac.ro/lefteast/interview-gilbert-achcar-on-russian-military-operation-in-syria/
  • Syria
     Reply #141 - October 16, 2015, 02:39 PM

Again, I haven't come to any conclusions about this.

I'd really like it if you gave us your opinions (or, heaven forbid, conclusions) more often. The torrent of bald links confuses more than it enlightens.
  • Syria
     Reply #142 - October 16, 2015, 05:41 PM

Well OK, but in this case i think saying I haven't come to any conclusion does matter. The accusations against the YPG are important and my first thought on seeing there was an Amnesty report was that it must be pretty conclusive. Plenty of people seem to be coming up with credible objections to it though, and I really don't know who is right. I was interested to see that Jenan Moussa, who seems one of the better informed journalists reporting on Syria, shared the link to the Amnesty report on twitter but then when asked said she couldn't judge its credibility without actually going there and talking to people. I suspect a lot of journalism deals in false certainties, because that's what editors expect from reporters. Sometimes it's more honest and informative to say you don't know.
  • Syria
     Reply #143 - October 16, 2015, 11:42 PM

Sometimes it's more honest and informative to say you don't know.

Yes, of course.

But you very seldom say what you think, and I'd be interested to hear it. You're not a blinking thicky.
  • Syria
     Reply #144 - October 17, 2015, 07:05 AM

Even if the acusations against the YPG are true, what does this change? They are still a model for that region.  It seems to me that we only aim for unrealistic targets,  like scandinavian democratic models which clearly are not going to work there. Do everyone think that after so many years under ISIS and other islamist factions the place will be deradicalised with soft methods and no human rights abuses? Can you deal with Islam with soft, kind, reason wise methods and work in the same time? Didn't we changed so many times something bad for something even worse?

Why can't we simply aim for realistic options, the less evil ones?

• Syria
     Reply #145 - October 17, 2015, 10:16 AM

Even if the acusations against the YPG are true, what does this change?

Maybe not that much, and I doubt that civil wars ever happen without human rights abuses and war crimes.
  • Syria
     Reply #146 - October 19, 2015, 02:19 PM

Here's the YPG response to the Amnesty report: http://www.ypgrojava.com/en/index.php/statements/809-statement-by-the-gen-comm-of-the-people-s-defense-units-in-response-to-amnesty-international-s-october-8th-report
  • Syria
     Reply #147 - October 20, 2015, 01:23 AM

I like that analysis. I appreciate that sort of thorough detail. That is what I expect from them. 

• Syria
     Reply #148 - November 28, 2015, 12:01 PM

Here's a long NYT piece about Rojava.

A dream of secular utopia in ISIS' backyard
  • Syria
     Reply #149 - November 30, 2015, 01:47 AM

I like that one. I came across another:
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2015/11/25/rojava_is_a_radical_experiment_in_democracy_in_northern_syria_american_leftists.html?wpsrc=sh_all_dt_tw_top

• Previous page 1 ... 3 4 56 7 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »