Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Syria

(Read 42856 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3 45 6 ... 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Syria
     Reply #90 - September 20, 2013, 09:54 AM

So that Bagy.. Oh BAGY  ...  the Elizabeth O'Bagy  in  designer clothes,  EXPERT on Syria/Islam/wars on middle east... Hmm her picture is removed  from that We are on the front lines of military thinking. .. Any way Oh BAGY   boss  says
    ..............The president of the institute, Dr. Kim Kagan, said she was surprised to learn of O'Bagy's lie just before the former senior research analyst admitted it on Tuesday. The decision to terminate O'Bagy's employment at the institute was made later that day, Kagan said..........O'Bagy was hired a year ago as a research analyst, after she had been working as an intern at the institute for a few months. O'Bagy proved to be an exceptional researcher and analyst, and Kagan said she was "pleased and proud to move her forward."..............

Now let us listen to Dr. Kim Kagan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYqVlw0VbJ0

There she talks things that are closer to Home.. "The Afghan Problem" .. They made a mess there now moving to syria.. anyways let me listen to the good Doctor..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj3aZtRaPFE

Ha! AMRIKAN  war machinery is controlled by the words of folks like you see above.. Unfortunately or fortunately  Americans are interested in  twerking miley cyrus  

....twerk .....twerk...twerk...twerk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwRNfRPzaII

twerk

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Syria
     Reply #91 - September 21, 2013, 11:50 AM

well finally some news  that doesn't spill more blood..

Syria Meets First Test of Accord on Weapons says New York Times

WASHINGTON — A senior Obama administration official said Friday that the United States was encouraged by the initial inventory that the Syrian government had submitted of its chemical weapons arsenal. “We were pleasantly surprised by the completeness of their declaration,” said the official, who declined to be identified because he was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

“It was better than expected,” he added.

If  AMRIKANS learn to talk instead of barking on public television and making deals with ROGUES OF ISLAM  and putting monkeys in Power in Islamic lands there will  be less blood shed.  well read it all at the link..

Another News from BBC says Syria rebels agree Azaz ceasefire

Two Syrian rebel groups in the town of Azaz have agreed a ceasefire. The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (Isis), linked to al-Qaeda, seized the northern town on Wednesday from the larger Western-backed Free Syrian Army. Fighting between rebel groups has raised fears of a war within a war.

The clashes come ahead of a deadline, on Saturday, for Syria to provide a list of its chemical weapons facilities as part of a US-Russian deal for the country to destroy its deadly arsenal....

I wonder when will western bums learn talk what they see on ground in so-called Islamic nations?? look at that "The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (Isis),"  A new state is being carved for Sunni Islamic Baboons with the support  of Sand land Kings and propaganda from AMRIKA and LONDONSHEIKS.

well that is the news on Syria..  any ways  It is a bit  of good news..   I lIKE THAT NAME "ISIS"...

well for or Islam, every country including western nations need to make an ISIS. And it is not "The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria"...   it is called  "ISLAMIC SUNNI  GHETTO and ISLAMIC SHIA GHETTO"

• Syria
     Reply #92 - September 21, 2013, 08:14 PM

Now we have "jihad al-nikah" ., news says Tunisian women have travelled to Syria to wage "sex jihad" and that is from  .tunisia-live.net

Minister of Interior Lotfi Ben Jeddou said Thursday that Tunisian women have been used to provide sexual favors for rebel fighters in Syria. He made the remarks while addressing the National Constituent Assembly on security issues facing Tunisia. Ben Jeddou added some of these women have returned from Syria pregnant.   The minister said that trafficking networks have been formed to transport young Tunisians to Syria, and criticized unnamed human rights groups for fighting the travel bans his ministry has imposed to prevent these movements.

According to the ministry, 6,000 Tunisians have been prevented from traveling to Syria. The term “sexual jihad,” jihad al-nikah in Arabic, has been used in Tunisia, Egypt, Syria, and elsewhere to describe this practice. It refers to sexual favors given to men said to be fighting for a religiously sanctioned cause.

Yap Men of Islamic Jihad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsmzbdgn1Cs

fuckinh shit....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwVK0LgoJZ8

right allah doll will be happy with those Islamic heroes who are fighting against Muslims for the sake their Islam..

• Syria
     Reply #93 - September 23, 2013, 02:28 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArVEeJa7EHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxmaz1jPkbM

Russia's Putin says Syria violence could hit ex-Soviet bloc

Russia, which has a large Muslim minority of its own and is fighting an Islamist insurgency, has accused the West of helping militants by seeking Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's removal without paying enough attention to the potential consequences.

Putin told leaders of the six-nation Collective Security Treaty Organisation (CSTO) that militants fighting Assad could eventually expand attacks beyond Syria and the Middle East. "The militant groups (in Syria) did not come out of nowhere, and they will not vanish into thin air," Putin said.

"The problem of terrorism spilling from one country to another is absolutely real and could directly affect the interests of any one of our countries," he said, citing the deadly attack on a shopping mall in Nairobi as an example.

"We are now witnessing a terrible tragedy unfold in Kenya. The militants came from another country, as far as we can judge, and are committing horrendous bloody crimes," Putin said at a CSTO summit in the Russian Black Sea resort city of Sochi.

His words appeared to be a warning about violence spreading from both Syria and Afghanistan, which shares a long border with CSTO member Tajikistan in Central Asia. The security alliance also includes Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Armenia and Belarus.

Tajikistan, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan all have mostly Muslim populations......

well Totalitarian regimes in Islamic lands will NOT help curbing the Islamic Jihadi elements. They need to be pulled out of their RAT HOLES and put them in public and Insult the rascals... watch this and learn Mr. Putin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2rL6NDoyKg

• Syria
     Reply #94 - September 26, 2013, 09:08 PM

Jihadists in Syria torch statues, crosses in Syria churches:  says news

BEIRUT: Jihadist fighters linked to Al-Qaeda set fire to statues and crosses inside churches in northern Syria on Thursday and destroyed a cross on a church clock tower, a watchdog said. Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) fighters entered the Greek Catholic Church of Our Lady of the Annunciation in the northern city of Raqa and torched the religious furnishings inside, the Syria Observatory for Human Rights said.

They did the same at the Armenian Catholic Church of the Martyrs, and also destroyed a cross atop its clock tower, replacing it with the ISIL flag, the Observatory said. Most of Raqa, located on the banks of the Euphrates River and capital of the province of the same name, fell to anti-regime fighters in March.

Where the ISIL dominates in the city, it imposes a strict version of sharia (Islamic law) on the populace. The London-based Observatory denounced these attacks "against the freedom of religion, which are an assault on the Syrian revolution."

Not only have there been attacks on Christian places of worship in Syria, a predominantly Muslim country wracked by more than two years of civil war. Additionally, Christians clerics have been kidnapped, and some brutally murdered, by jihadists.

In January, the Middle East director of Human Rights Watch, Sarah Leah Whitson, said: "The destruction of religious sites is furthering sectarian fears and compounding the tragedies of the country. "Syria will lose its rich cultural and religious diversity if armed groups do not respect places of worship."

The New York-based group said that "while some opposition leaders have pledged to protect all Syrians, in practice the opposition has failed to properly address the unjustified attacks against minority places of worship.  At the outset of the rebellion against President Bashar al-Assad, rebels welcomed the support of jihadist groups, largely made up of foreign fighters.

But the jihadists, where they have reached a position of dominance in specific parts of the country, are increasingly alienating the native population. On Thursday, an ISIL commander from the United Arab Emirates was killed in fighting with Kurds in the north of Syria, the Observatory said. (AFP)

And that news is published from  Pakistan's news paper

• Syria
     Reply #95 - October 01, 2013, 12:52 PM

good news.. good news.. finally a no war news..

Syria conflict: Chemical arms experts cross border  say snews

A team of international disarmament experts has arrived in Syria to begin work on dismantling the country's stockpile of chemical weapons. Syria says it will co-operate with the mission set up after a US-Russia deal endorsed by the UN Security Council.

It is the first time the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) has been asked to destroy a country's chemical arms during a war. Correspondents say the OPCW inspectors face a daunting task. Syria's Foreign Minister, Walid Muallem, has said that seven out of the 19 chemical weapons sites declared by the government last month are in combat zones.

The BBC's Jim Muir in Beirut says it could be complicated for the inspectors to gain access to these areas; local truces may be needed to allow the work to proceed. Syria believed to possess more than 1,000 tonnes of chemical agents and pre-cursor chemicals, including blister agent, sulphur mustard, and sarin nerve agent; also thought to have produced most potent nerve agent, VX US believes Syria's arsenal can be "delivered by aircraft, ballistic missile, and artillery rockets" Syria acceded to Chemical Weapons Convention on 14 September; it signed Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention in 1972 but never ratified

Hmm can't these chemists make something out of those chemicals such as some Plastics??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKfK68LVqE

well that is ' - Foreign Minister  at UN .. he says Terrorists from 83 countries fighting in Syrian '.. I am sure UK and US of A are on that list..  and another news says

Syrian jihadists wreak havoc as violence spreads into Iraq

Masked fighters from the Islamic State of Iraq and Sham, the most powerful al-Qaida-aligned group in Syria.  

From his desert compound near the green banks of the Euphrates river, Ahmed Abu Risha has been nervously watching as the jihadists he helped oust from Iraq with the help of the US army once again grow in strength all around him. In towns and villages on the flat lands south towards Baghdad and in the communities that dot the sprawling desert west towards the border with Syria, militant groups are imposing their influence with brutal efficiency.

Random, savage and relentless violence is once more a reality in this part of Iraq, with almost daily bombings and killings stirring ghosts of a time, not long ago, when Anbar province was almost lost to al-Qaida and when hopes for a civil and stable country seemed futile.

But with Anbar again immersed in anarchy, Abu Risha's eyes are fixed far away from the reborn troubles at home, on battlefields far from his purview – across the border in Syria. There, as in Iraq, jihadists are wreaking havoc, attempting to assert themselves in a revolution that aimed to reorient a nation state, but is now increasingly dragging the region into chaos. Abu Risha, and the tribal leaders of Anbar who helped drive the anti-al-Qaida movement in 2007 known as the awakening (in Arabic, al-Sahawa) are deeply troubled by what they are seeing.

"If somehow a democratic state is not eventually established in Syria, there will be a problem for all the region," said Abu Risha. "It cannot be an Islamic state." Yet an Islamic state is unambiguously what the jihadist groups now fighting alongside the opposition in Syria are aiming for. "They want strict Islamic law and they want Syria to be a stage for a jihad elsewhere," said Abu Risha. "This has to be stopped."

well if any one want to stop that "strict Islamic law and   a stage for a jihad elsewhere," Islam need to be cleaned up a  bit and that Sand land kingdom need to be cleaned a bit..

• Syria
     Reply #96 - October 01, 2013, 09:19 PM

Ha! AMRIKAN  war machinery is controlled by the words of folks like you see above.. Unfortunately or fortunately  Americans are interested in  twerking miley cyrus  

....twerk .....twerk...twerk...twerk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwRNfRPzaII

twerk

Cheesy

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
  • Syria
     Reply #97 - October 15, 2013, 02:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-yBDp2ysY

Weak hearts don't watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEflI5LfmMo

Fucking Rogues...  well.,   I am glad AMRIKA got  bit of its sense back and that fool Bashar al-Assad played right cards along with Russia..

• Syria
     Reply #98 - November 15, 2013, 05:07 PM

Syria rebels admit beheading own fighter by 'mistake' says news

A member of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) speaks into a microphone, in the northern Syrian city of Aleppo on November 13, 2013.

BEIRUT: Al Qaeda-linked jihadists in Syria have admitted beheading a fellow rebel by mistake after believing him to be an Iraqi Shia fighting alongside regime forces, a watchdog said on Friday.

A video posted on the Internet on Wednesday showed two members of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) holding up a bearded man's head before a crowd in Aleppo in northern Syria.

They said he was an Iraqi Shia who had been fighting among the ranks of President Bashar al-Assad's forces. “Some minutes after the video was posted, the man was identified as Mohammed Marroush, a fighter with rebel group Ahrar al-Sham,” Syrian Observatory for Human Rights chief Rami Abdel Rahman said.

The Islamist Ahrar al-Sham is an ISIL ally. “ISIL later admitted the rebel had been killed by mistake and said it had arrested one of its men, a Tunisian, for decapitating him. He was referred to their Islamic court.” The second man, also a foreign fighter and from the Gulf, has not been detained.

Marroush had been wounded in fighting at a regime military base east of Aleppo, Syria's second city and former commercial hub. In the battle, rebel and jihadist groups squared up against Syrian soldiers backed by members of Lebanon's Shia Hezbollah movement and Iraqi Shias of the Abu Fadl al-Abbas group.

Marroush was taken to hospital outside Aleppo for treatment, and in his drugged state was heard to repeat the names Ali and Hussain, two venerated Shia imams.

“This was the last thing he had heard from the Shia fighters before being wounded,” an Observatory statement said.

“The two ISIL men deduced he was a Shia fighter and cut his head off,” it added, calling the decapitation “a war crime”.

An ISIL chief, Omar al-Qahtani, said on Twitter that Marroush had thought he had been captured by the enemy and lied, saying he was a Shia.

Extremist Sunnis deem Shias to be apostates.

“He called out the name 'Hussain', and those present in the hospital thought he was a (pro-regime) prisoner,” Qahtani said.

“Under questioning, he claimed to be Shia... so the brothers killed him,” he said, asking the dead man for forgiveness.

“Mistakes happen on the battlefield all the time,” Sheikh Qahtani added.

Extremist Sunni jihadist groups battling regime forces have been accused for months by more mainstream rebel factions of all sorts of abuse, including abductions and beheadings.

well that is  how Islam works .. 7th century Islam is repeating in those lands..

• Syria
     Reply #99 - November 15, 2013, 06:52 PM

Awesome. Afro

Al Qaeda-linked jihadi fuckers start beheading each other. One small step for a jihadi, one great leap for mankind. Smiley

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Syria
     Reply #100 - May 30, 2014, 12:19 PM

And First American carried out suicide bombing in Syria, U.S. officials say

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8ZaFOTF7wU

Syria in 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eo85iArKuI

Syria in 2014
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY0Rk9Yyq-4

In these modern times JUST 5 YEARS IS ENOUGH TO DESTROY A COUNTRY FROM WITH IN....

• Syria
     Reply #101 - June 11, 2014, 12:43 AM

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

• Syria
     Reply #102 - June 11, 2014, 12:52 AM

What? A group of imams getting offended about something inconsequential? Shut the front door.
  • Syria
     Reply #103 - June 11, 2014, 01:02 AM

Cheesy

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

• Syria
     Reply #104 - June 11, 2014, 01:34 AM

Haha - I was thinking the same Cheesy

I think I read somewhere in the posts here that the 6th pillar of Islam is taking offense even where none was given or something in that general direction.

And Allah knows best.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Syria
     Reply #105 - August 16, 2014, 07:27 AM

Anyone remember this place, Syria, before ISIS?

Here is two clips of a documentary filmed in Aleppo last summer. It shows the everyday life of fighters and people who just try to do what they can to help others.

Definitely worth a watch.

Aleppo: Notes from the Dark

Filmmakers: Wojciech Szumowski and Michal Przedlacki

As Syria's civil war continues to rage, this film shows the life of Aleppo from the perspective of seven of its residents, struggling with the hardships of war: A social journalist, a street vendor, a cleric, an entrepreneur, a doctor from a field hospital, a shopkeeper - ordinary people with hopes and dreams of freedom.

Next to exploding bombs and under sniper fire, they talk about the Syrian revolution and their own hopes for the future.

Situations from the frontlines are interspersed with Quran study in moments of relaxation; humanitarian aid to the needy is mixed with unrest and protests in the street. A soldier tends to his wounded son, a doctor struggles for the life of the victims, a filmmaker prepares new material.

The film presents a panorama of characters and then lets them speak. Shocking reporter accounts of rescue operations after the bombardments are complemented by the characters' deliberations on Islam, the religion that builds their identity. What do they do when dark despair engulfs their souls?

The filmmakers shot the film in the bombarded city for 44 days in the summer of 2013 and created a unique record of the situation in Syria.

Episode 1

Episode 2

Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Syria
     Reply #106 - October 02, 2014, 12:35 PM

41 Children killed in Homs double blast

Attack outside primary school in central Syrian city kills at least 45 people, including 41 children.

At least 41 children are among 45 people killed in twin bombings outside a primary school in the government-controlled city of Homs in central Syria, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

A Syrian pro-government channel broadcast on Wednesday a brief footage of the aftermath, showing parents looking for their children amid schoolbags and bloodstains on the ground. Flames rose from a car nearby.

Homs governor Talal Barazzi described the attack as a "terrorist act and a desperate attempt that targeted school children".

The blasts happened as children were leaving the Akrameh al-Makhzoumi primary school, said an official with the Homs governorate who refused to be named.

The first explosion was from a car bomb parked and detonated in front of the school, followed minutes later by a suicide bomber who drove by and detonated his explosives-laden car, said the anonymous official.

It was one of the deadliest attacks in Homs in months. At least 56 more people were wounded in the incident, the official said.

The neighbourhood is mostly inhabited by members of the Alawite sect that President Bashar al-Assad belongs to. The area was previously targeted on June 19 when at least six people were killed in a car bomb attack. 

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for Wednesday's attack, but Syrian rebels fighting to oust Assad have carried out such bombings during the country's civil war.

There have been horrific attacks against civilians by all sides throughout the brutal conflict, now in its fourth year, but rarely have children appeared to be the direct target.

In May, the Syrian government forces dropped a bomb in the northern city of Aleppo, hitting a complex that held a school alongside a rebel compound.

At least 19 people, including 10 children were killed in that attack.

• Syria
     Reply #107 - October 14, 2014, 06:11 AM

Inside Bashar Assad's torture chambers

Photos to be displayed at U.S. Holocaust Museum are 'smoking gun' evidence of war crimes, State Department official tells Yahoo News

The State Department has obtained 27,000 photographs showing the emaciated, bruised and burned bodies of Syrian torture victims — gruesome images that a top official told Yahoo News constitute "smoking gun" evidence that can be used to bring war-crimes charges against the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad.

The photos are "horrific — some of them put you in visceral pain," said Stephen J. Rapp, the U.S. ambassador-at-large for war crimes, in an interview. "This is some of the strongest evidence we've seen in the area of proof of the commission of mass atrocities."

The photos — a small number of which will be put on public display for the first time on Wednesday at the U.S. Holocaust Museum — were smuggled out of Syria by an official regime photographer who has since defected and is known only by his code name, Caesar.

They were shown at a closed-door session of the House Foreign Affairs Committee in July where Caesar, wearing a hood, testified. They are now being analyzed at Rapp's request by the FBI in part as an effort to determine whether any U.S. citizens may have been among the victims — a finding that could be the basis to bring criminal charges in the U.S. against officials of the Assad regime.

The Syrian government has officially denounced the photos as fakes and suggested many of the corpses seen are actually of militants who died in battle.

While FBI agents are still reviewing the photos, Rapp said that bureau officials have already "informally" told him "they think it is impossible they could be forgeries. There is no evidence of doctoring."

(A bureau spokesman confirmed only the review of the photos, adding: "It will take some time to complete the authentication process.")

The story behind the photos begins in March 2011, when Arab Spring protests against the Assad government swept through Syria. As the military began rounding up suspected dissidents, Caesar — a military police officer — was assigned to lead a team of 11 photographers whose job it was to document the deaths of detainees brought to a military hospital from three detention centers around Damascus.
    But by the summer of 2013, Caesar has told investigators, he was so sickened by what he was seeing that he made contact with Syrian rebels. "I can't do this anymore," he told them, according to David Crane, a former war-crimes prosecutor for Sierra Leone who spent hours interviewing Caesar as part of a separate review of the photos commissioned by the government of Qatar.

Caesar began smuggling his photos to the rebels, providing them with thumb drives concealed in his shoes, Crane said. To protect his family, Caesar faked his death, staging an elaborate funeral, before he escaped from Syria in August 2013. He is now in hiding in Europe.

The photos, according to Crane, document "an industrial killing machine not seen since the Holocaust." They show corpses, some of them lined up in a warehouse, many appearing to be victims of starvation, their ribs protruding from emaciated bodies.

Some show men whose eyes were gouged out; others had bruises and lacerations consistent with beatings and in some cases strangulation, according to a report that Crane co-wrote about the photos released in January.

Rep. Ed Royce, R-Calif., the chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee who had called Caesar as a witness at the closed-door hearing in July, said that when he first saw the photos he thought of his father. As a member of Gen. George Patton’s Third Army, “my father had taken photos at Dachau when it was liberated, of the bodies stacked up at the ovens. This is eerily reminiscent. It's absolutely appalling.”

What's also noteworthy about the photos, according to Crane, was the methodical nature of the enterprise: Each photo includes tags with numbers and letters that identify each of the victims as well as the detention center where they were imprisoned. One purpose: so military officials who ordered their deaths could have proof "their orders were carried out," said Crane.

Crane — who, as a war-crimes prosecutor for an international tribunal, brought the indictment against former Liberian President Charles Taylor — originally reviewed the photos along with two other international war-crimes prosecutors on behalf of a London law firm hired by the Qatari government.

He then presented the photos for two hours at a session of the U.N. Security Council in support of a French-sponsored resolution authorizing an international war-crimes tribunal for Syria in April.

After his presentation was complete, Crane said, the Security Council fell silent. The U.S. ambassador, Samantha Power, "was blinking back tears," said Crane. (A spokesman for Power did not respond to a request for comment. But in a statement at the time, Power said, "Nobody who sees these images will ever be the same.")

But the French resolution was vetoed by the Russian and Chinese representatives. That has left Rapp with what he acknowledges are "jurisdictional challenges" in bringing war-crimes charges against the regime officials responsible for the dead bodies. (A finding that U.S. nationals are among the victims could help overcome some of those challenges by allowing a Justice Department prosecution in U.S. courts.)

But Rapp said he is not deterred. His office is working with an international team of investigators — under the direction of a private group called the Syria Justice and Accountability Project — to collect documents and other witness testimony that can be used to corroborate the photos. (The U.S. is also supporting a separate team of investigators developing evidence of war crimes by the Islamic State militant group.)

The U.S. government has contributed $1 million to the effort to investigate the Assad regime's abuses. And already, Rapp said, some documents showing orders to arrest particular detainees have been uncovered. Investigators are seeking to determine if those orders can be matched up with the bodies of detainees seen in the photographs.

But there is still much more work to be done. Because many of the photos had to be compressed by Caesar to get them to fit on thumb drives, crucial metadata — which would yield the precise date and time that each image was recorded — was lost. Confirming the deaths of detainees shown in the photos with family members who are still inside Syria is also a problem.

Still, Rapp said, "we are laying the foundation for the day when there will be accountability. This is the kind of evidence that can support prosecution of people all the way to the top."

• Syria
     Reply #108 - October 14, 2014, 09:05 PM

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart extended interview with Syrian National Council President Hadi al-Bahra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Why2nMvpBPk

Also:

As a Syrian Refugee, I Think Destroying ISIS Means Destroying Assad

Posted: 10/08/2014 12:35 pm EDT Updated: 10/08/2014 12:59 pm EDT

The entire world is now looking at Syria due to beheadings carried out by the fanatics from ISIS and other extremist groups. Over the years, as the war in Syria waged on, Western interest began to fade. It is important to not let the shadow of ISIS allow us to forget the terror of Assad. Assad and ISIS have much in common: They both brutally kill innocent civilians without conscience, both believe that their world view is the only way and that they have the right to shape it at any cost, and both discriminate against minorities.

I started public school in Syria when I was six years old. On my first day of class, the teacher said, "All Christian students, raise your hands!" At my young age, I only discovered then and there that not all Syrians were Christians. The students who raised their hands went to the Christian "religious education class" while those who did not went to the Muslim class.

Growing up in my impoverished Christian neighbourhood, I used to think of the late Syrian dictator Hafez al-Assad as a saint or a God. Everyone referred to him as "The Father." His pictures were everywhere, even on the walls of the Church. So when I first started my religion classes, I mistakenly thought that Hafez al-Assad was a member of the Holy Trinity.

With time, I came to realize my error. "Father" Hafez al-Assad was most definitely not a member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, he was the polar opposite. By the time I reached the end of secondary school, I became aware that many of my fellow Christian students had not seen their fathers in decades. I asked my mother why this was the case. She shushed me and whispered fearfully "They said something bad about the Leading Father, Hafez al-Assad."

Unlike the Loving God of the Trinity, we used to fear "Father" Hafez terribly. No one would dare criticize him. If we even mentioned his name, we would need to also add that he was the "Leading Father." At the tender age of six, I and all my classmates were made to shout "Our leader forever, the great Hafez al-Assad!" as we marched through a schoolyard covered with his photos.

I never realized how horrible my school was until I fled Syria for Canada a few months ago and encountered Canadian schools. There were no decorations anywhere in my school -- just grey walls, huge posters of Assad family members, and strident slogans about how Syria was perfect under Assad and we hate the "Zionists" and "imperialists," but Assad strikes fear in their hearts. This was an environment for brainwashing, not learning.

Since coming to North America, I've also been shocked by how many people buy into the idea that Assad is "pro-Christian." They seem to think that Christians had equality in Syria. I grew up under the Assad regime. Throughout my childhood and young adulthood, I had it inculcated into me that I must never, ever discuss politics because I was Christian. The adults in my neighborhood would tell me, "We are Christians. Politics is not for us. Be happy just that we can live." For me, this was a slave mentality. People who spoke up spent years in the prison and some of them have died from torture. Bassel Shihade, a Syrian Christian filmmaker, was killed by regime snipers while documenting regime atrocities in Homs, his family and church were not allowed to give him a funeral.

As a Christian under Assad, I never felt like I really belonged in Syria. I heard about the regime's terrible crackdowns on Christians in Lebanon during the Lebanese Civil War. I saw how members of my poor Christian neighborhood would suddenly disappear for good after speaking their minds. I was always fearful. Like most Christians I knew, I was always one step away from packing my bags and emigrating.

In the year 2000, the "Great Father" Hafez died and his deification reached new heights. Now we were told that he was the "Eternal Father" who lived on after his death like some supernatural being. Since his eldest son Bassel died in a car crash, we were told that "Father" Hafez had passed his superhuman powers to his younger son Bashar from beyond the grave.

Originally, I thought Bashar al-Assad would make things better because he was young, educated, and had a Western education. He turned out to be even more evil than his father. After I wised up to regime propaganda, I thought of "Father" Hafez as a mafiosi in an action movie. Bashar is more like a werewolf in a horror movie. By day, he smiles and dresses nicely alongside his glamorous wife who always wears Prada. By night, the mask comes off and the fangs come out. He mutilates women, gasses children, and severs body parts at a pace staggering enough to make Abu Bakr al-Bagdadi blush.

Syria was intolerable long before ISIS existed. It was so intolerable that brainwashed Syrian schoolchildren like me -- Christians, Muslims, and all other faiths -- have grown up to free their minds and sacrifice their lives by the thousands for a free Syria. The international community ignored our cries.

Now that the Islamic State is in the picture, the world is paying attention to Syria again. As the world fights the radical presence of ISIS, they must keep in mind that Assad and the Islamic State are two sides of the same coin. They are both brutal, bloodthirsty murderers. If we destroy ISIS now, another ISIS will quickly emerge. I believe that the only way to destroy ISIS is to destroy Assad too.

• Syria
     Reply #109 - October 14, 2014, 10:00 PM

The Syrian government has officially denounced the photos as fakes and suggested many of the corpses seen are actually of militants who died in battle.

Bastards. In fact bastards is no where near what I want to say. Bashar and his gang must be toppled and brought to account for what they've done.
  • Syria
     Reply #110 - October 14, 2014, 10:03 PM

Bastards. In fact bastards is no where near what I want to say. Bashar and his gang must be toppled and brought to account for what they've done.

That whole area is a quagmire of nutso-gone-crazy!

Only coherent side I can say I support is the Kurds, and even they have their issues.

Don't like how the Turkish authorities are being, it is highly seedy to me!
  • Syria
     Reply #111 - October 14, 2014, 10:05 PM

Anyone for mission creep? I can see this going well.

• Syria
     Reply #112 - October 14, 2014, 10:14 PM

With the continued mayhem the double-tap barrel bombs dropped by Assad's helicopters on bakeries, hospitals and medical facilities cause I'm all for imposing a no-fly zone over Syria.

Also the Danish F-16's are starting to break up so let us squeeze the last out of them before we blow DKK 30 billions on new US hardware.

Problem is that the Syrian air force and air defense systems aren't rookies.

Oh yes - and of course Iran, Hezbollah, Russia and China will all be pretty upset. So much that Iran might want to destabilise Iraq - or perhaps even cut out the Shia majority areas and even take over the US trained and equipped army.

Lots of fun ahead.

• Syria
     Reply #113 - October 14, 2014, 10:19 PM

So much that Iran might want to destabilise Iraq - or perhaps even cut out the Shia majority areas and even take over the US trained and equipped army.

I think Iran would very much like to do that. Then we could have IS and Iran toe to toe. Party time.

• Syria
     Reply #114 - October 14, 2014, 10:21 PM

Let's face it: anything the West tries to do in the Muslim world is highly likely to turn to shit. Of course, if the West does nothing China and Russia will be sticking their spanners in the works anyway, and the West will still be blamed for not preventing all sorts of disasters or whatever. It really is damned if you do, damned if you don't. Frankly I'm pretty much sick of the entire fucking middle east.

• Syria
     Reply #115 - October 14, 2014, 10:23 PM

Well not to worry, Sayyidna 'Eesa will soon appear to give Friday Khutbah at the Umayyad mosque in Damascus and bring justice where there was tyranny, and peace where there was war.

So just keep fighting guys, the end times are near and Jesus, the Mahdi, the 12th Imam, the 7th Imam, and uncle Tom Cobbly and all will come to make everything better.
  • Syria
     Reply #116 - October 14, 2014, 10:27 PM

Sounds awesome. I can hardly wait.

(and yes, I do realise that a shitload of people unfortunate enough to live there are probably also pretty much sick of the entire fucking middle east.)

• Syria
     Reply #117 - October 14, 2014, 10:29 PM

Well not to worry, Sayyidna 'Eesa will soon appear to give Friday Khutbah at the Umayyad mosque in Damascus and bring justice where there was tyranny, and peace where there was war.

So just keep fighting guys, the end times are near and Jesus, the Mahdi, the 12th Imam, the 7th Imam, and uncle Tom Cobbly and all will come to make everything better.

Woot, bring on the apocalypse!
  • Syria
     Reply #118 - October 15, 2014, 06:31 AM

I don't understand why no one seems to want to actually detail all the actual factions and their backers and their inter relationships instead of this very simplistic "west bad" and similar, and look at all the regional tensions as a whole.

Like actually Turkey is a key player.

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Syria
     Reply #119 - October 15, 2014, 07:40 AM

Too complicated, and less comforting. If you can find a handy sound bite that lets you blame "someone else", obviously that's the preferred option.

• Previous page 1 2 3 45 6 ... 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »