Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Arguing against halal slaughter

(Read 5523 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Arguing against halal slaughter
     OP - February 02, 2013, 06:36 PM

Posted this on my FB page just now

Don't look if you are squeemish but the only way to see what is going on and to make an informed decision is to open your eyes to it. The clip at 8:20 shows the stunning method of killing an animal. The others show the halal and kosher way as done in meat factories. Let's not deflect the argument by talking about how animals are mistreated in some factory farms because I have posted videos on that too. This is specifically about the last moments of an animal's life. Now its up to you to decide with your own eyes which is the most humane and quickest method. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9M9R07gEqk

Article on a study that was done: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17972-animals-feel-the-pain-of-religious-slaughter.html

Pro halal websites will cite work done by Wilhelm Schulze done in the 1970s but as you can see this was debunked in the research mentioned in the above article.

If I could only choose between 2 ways of dying I would pick a quick shot to the head than having my throat slit. Wouldn't you?

-------------------
    Believe in yourself
    -------------------
    Strike me down and I'll just become another nail in your coffin
    -------------------
    There's such a thing as sheep in wolfs clothing... religious fanatics
     Reply #1 - February 03, 2013, 01:42 AM

Just because we are going to eat those animals doesn't mean we shouldn't treat them as humanly as possible and give them a painless and calm death.

Remove the exemptions for religion. The pain and I would go as far as to say torture of these animals is appalling and the petty superstition of Jews and Muslims are not an excuse to condone this kind of behavior.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #2 - February 03, 2013, 01:45 AM

And the pro halal websites are using research from the 1970's to argue against the most up to date research ??

These people are not interested in relieving the animals from their pain and they know very well that it causes pain to the animal.

Reply #3 - February 03, 2013, 07:45 AM

Didn't they ban it in some European countries on the grounds that it constitutes cruelty to animals? I agree that halal/schehita (sp?) slaughter is needlessly painful for the animal, and there are less painful and quicker ways of doing it.
     Reply #4 - February 03, 2013, 06:43 PM

I can't eat halal meat. I'm allergic to magic spells.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #5 - February 03, 2013, 08:15 PM

Didn't they ban it in some European countries on the grounds that it constitutes cruelty to animals? I agree that halal/schehita (sp?) slaughter is needlessly painful for the animal, and there are less painful and quicker ways of doing it.

Probably in some countries but it should at least be banned in the UK, the entire European union, North America and Australia.

Theres no need for us to compromise our secular and humanist values and principles for the ridiculous excuse of religion.

Reply #6 - February 04, 2013, 10:19 AM

Wow that's absolutely brutal. The way that poor sheep was struggling and twisting when it was hung with all the other dead sheep. Or when that sheep was just dashing it's head against the metal grating with it's neck split open and blood gushing out. Or when it was in that metal container of sorts and tried to breathe with it's neck split open and all that gushed out was blood.

I was holding my neck throughout that entire video. To think they aren't even given the courtesy of stunning just for stupid religious tradition.

sad
     Reply #7 - February 04, 2013, 11:04 AM

I turned away from the screen a lot throughout that video. Really awful, graphic stuff. I can't bear to watch stuff like that.
     Reply #8 - February 04, 2013, 12:04 PM

It's going to be very difficult to stop halal slaughter as long as there is demand for it.

The only workaround is tight regulation. Slaughter (religious or otherwise) is inhumane, especially if done incorrectly and with no regard to animal welfare and emotion.
    There needs to be a very strict implementation of guidelines to minimise suffering and countries must insist halal slaughterhouses follow them, else they should have their license revoked.

http://www.grandin.com/ritual/rec.ritual.slaughter.html

Reply #9 - February 04, 2013, 05:41 PM

^Agreed.
     Reply #10 - February 04, 2013, 07:13 PM

Halal Slaughter sounds like an oxymoron

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
     Reply #11 - April 18, 2015, 04:59 PM

That video is fucking brutal.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »